Torpedo: A Surface Warfare Thriller
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Torpedo: A Surface Warfare Thriller

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  31 reviews
An accident at a German nuclear plant, an illegal arms deal, and a biological warfare attack on the British Embassy in Washington, DC, combine to ignite an international crisis that threatens to draw Western Europe, the Middle East, and the United States into all-out war. To prevent it, a handful of U.S. Navy destroyers and frigates must track down and destroy a wolfpack o...more
Audio
Published August 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Torpedo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torpedo

Cj W
One Word: YES!

I won this book in a Goodreads 'First Reads' giveaway.

Can I just tell you, how much I LOVE free books! ESPECIALLY ones that are signed, that are AWESOME!

This book is pretty much non-stop action from start to finish, and it was QUITE the finish! The explanations and detail that have gone into this book are incredible, and even though you kind of think you know how it's going to end, the way that it ends is still quite intense and not exactly as cut and dry as you'd like to think b...more
William Bentrim
Sea of shadows by Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards is going to be a force to reckon with in the genre of military fiction. I have always been fond of the down to the sea in ships war stories. Mr. Edwards crafts a plausible story considering the conditions of the Middle East and the world’s economic conditions.

In the US we are all aware of our dependence on foreign oil for energy needs. Mister Edwards uses energy dependency as the fuel for the plot of the story. There are clear underlying political cons...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
In einem deutschen Atomreaktor passiert ein kleiner Unfall, die britische Botschaft in Washington D.C. wird mit biologischen Waffen angegriffen und ein geheimes Waffengeschäft werden viele Fragen auf.
All jene Vorfälle führen dazu, dass ein Alliierter der NATO sich mit einem Schurkenstaat im Nahen Osten verbündet.

Eine Handvoll amerikanischer Kriegsschiffe bekommen nun die Aufgabe zugeteilt, eine Flotte von modernsten U-Booten zu jagen und zu zerstören. Doch der geübte Feind macht ihnen d...more
Al Swanson
As usual, I won't discuss plot. If you like seagoing military adventures, then the plot will satisfy. Whether or not it's far fetched isn't my game. Some suspension of disbelief is always a good thing when reading a novel or watching a movie. So plot isn't at the heart of this (or just about any) review.

That leaves writing. Edwards is a competent writer. I've not read (yet) anything else of his, so I can't comment on progress in his style. It's a bit uneven. Sometimes his style is polished and...more
Jacqui
Jeff Edwards' Sea of Shadows (Stealth Books 2010) is a marvelous military thriller, especially if you're a SWO officer serving on an American Destroyer. The story posits an oil-impoverished German nation, forced to trade some of the most modern weapons in the world to terrorists to get the oil the country can't survive without. The plot revolves around the US and Britain's efforts to stop delivery of these weapons--which include 3 ultra-modern submarines--as they transit from Germany, through th...more
Chris Meads
This was one excellent book. I was riveted to every page, and most were filled with excitement. I'm not much for war books and military technology but this book changed my mind.

Even though it was marked as fiction there seemed to be a ring of truth to what these ships and subs could do. Jeff Edwards knows how to write a thriller, it comes from one who knows his stuff.

The ending was great. I thought that Bowie was actually going to get relieved and happy he wasn't. I hope that he and Chief McPhe...more
Phyllis Gauker
Every page was exciting, even if the reader was not familiar with the Navy phrases. The author was very good at underlining the first letter in each word which would then become an abbreviation for that concept.

It was also a fast read due to the urgency in the story.

I appreciate having had the opportunity to read and review this free book from goodreads.com. Did I mention it was autographed, as well.

I will be passing it on to my friends who have been in the military. Only a retired Naval officer...more
David
This book by Jeff Edwards has apparently been relabeled as Sea of Shadows in 2011. I guess the main title of Torpedo was a little simplistic. If you are a fan of Naval Warfare, and especially if you are interested in the ramification of what might happen in the coming months and years in the Persian Gulf, do not pass up this book. It is written with much of the old Tom Clancy style with accurate research on the modern naval armaments and tactics. The book is set in the current day and uses an od...more
Tony Taylor
An accident at a German nuclear plant, an illegal arms deal, and a biological warfare attack on the British Embassy in Washington, DC, combine to ignite an international crisis that threatens to draw Western Europe, the Middle East, and the United States into all-out war. To prevent it, a handful of U.S. Navy destroyers and frigates must track down and destroy a Wolfpack of state-of-the-art submarines. The enemy is a NATO Ally: trained in U.S. naval warfare tactics, skilled in deception, and tho...more
Sheila
Apr 06, 2014 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheila by: Sheila Tucker
Couldn't put it down, very riveting. A real page turner.
Preston
This book was fantastic. It does a fantastic job of depicting a string of battles against a group of destroyers chasing a group of submarines before they fall into terrorists hands. The author used to be in the Navy, which comes as no surprise given how amazingly accurate he is at describing how we function and fight as a ship. The book may be a little dry or difficult to appreciate for those who aren't in the Navy though.
Steve
Political/Warfare/Technical thriller. Light in characterization, long in techno babel. Some good scenes: the potato cooking, the goat in the hold, the description of the start of the oil leak. Bogs down on some of too detailed technical details on sub warfare. Seems like an early work by someone still trying to get plot and pacing correct. But, even for that, I still enjoyed most of the read..
Karl L.
As a former Sonarman myself, I found the technical material remarkably accurate and the political setting frighteningly plausible. Edwards gently introduces the reader to the world of surface warfare and then aggressively launches them into a thrilling story that will leave them breathless and begging for another installment! Edwards has given us a work that will define him as the next master of the genre.
Cheryl
If you love reading Tom Clancy novels, you will love this sea-going war of submarines novel by Jeff Edwards. Would give it 10 stars if I could. Full of US Navy submarine warfare tactics; exciting, page turning sea battles between the US and Germany which will keep the reader guessing the next countermeasure and who will win this battle!
Dale Workman
Sep 17, 2014 Dale Workman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dale by: First Reads Giveaway
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads Giveaway.

Action packed from beginning to end. I am not normally a fan of fiction books, but I rather enjoyed this one. I am very pleased that my wife made me read this book. There was plenty of mystery, intrigue and macho male action to keep a man's attention.
Mark
Good techno-thriller with dollops of detail and believable action. Characters are very two-dimensional and the behind-the-scenes political maneuvers are a bit too unbelievable, but no more so than a Cussler or Dale Brown novel.
Kent
It's been a long time since I read a military/political thriller, but this one ranks right up there with the best I've ever read. I recommend it to any fans of this genre.
Daniel
It was an Exellent book for those who enjoy WEB Griffin, Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. If you don't like them then you won't like this book (just so you know)
David Bergsland

A pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed the book. Realistic, believable Naval warfare. People to look up to. Well developed characters.
Neil
Great Stuff. Haven't enjoyed a destroyer V submarine book so much since Tom Clancy and Patrick Robinson. Bring on some more!
Jack
An all action novel; not the sort of thing I usually read, but it was well written and held my interest
Glenn
I enjoyed this book, but I grew a bit tired of all the "radio-speak" that began to get a bit annoying.
Jon
Tom Clancy will certainly be missed, but Jeff picks up the military/techno thriller banner quite capably
Jonty
pretty griping story, covered the last half in 3 days, looking forward to reading the next one
Nev Thomas
Three and a half stars.Page turning thriller but with a inplausible plot
Susan
Wonderful, fast-paced book. Terrific detail without being over-whelming.
Charles
after a few pages it is a fast paced thriller
Bob Spiker
Outstanding author, a book you can't put down!
Jim
a cannot put down book...
  • Vortex
  • The Trident Deception
  • Himmler's War
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Black Flagged
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)
  • Through Many Fires
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • The Third World War August 1985
  • Stalin's Hammer: Rome (Axis of Time, #4)
Jeff Edwards is a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, and an Anti-Submarine Warfare Specialist. His naval career spanned more than two decades and half the globe - from chasing Soviet nuclear attack submarines during the Cold War, to launching cruise missiles in the Persian Gulf. Collectively, his novels have won the Admiral Nimitz Award for Outstanding Naval Fiction, the Reader’s Choice Award,...more
More about Jeff Edwards...
The Seventh Angel Sword of Shiva Dome City Blues The Boy: A Fifth Grade Anthology TestAsin_B00MAB8ADG_Sea of Shadows