Start by marking “Matthew Meets the Man” as Want to Read:
Matthew Meets the Man

Matthew Meets the Man

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Matthew Swanbeck has a classic problem. Back in seventh grade, his dad talked him into playing the trumpet instead of the drums. Now he's a lowly brass player in the school marching band. Until one day he has an epiphany: He can start his own band, play in all the cool rock venues, even go on tour ... if only he can scrape together the cash to buy a drum set. But how will ...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press (first published February 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Matthew Meets the Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew Meets the Man

Shannon Cruthirds
Aug 01, 2012 Shannon Cruthirds rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, middle school guys and gals.
Shelves: student-books
I bought a few copies of this book because I was looking for something to round out the "dorky-cool skateboard kid who's a little funnier and smarter than everyone else" category of my 6th grade book clubs. They loved it because the writing is funny and accessible, there are rad drawings here and there throughout, and they all feel at least 70% like Matthew.

As a teacher, I like it because the narrator has a clear voice, the plot and pacing are good, and it's a good length and high-interest for m
Ms. Yingling
Matthew plays trumpet in the marching band because that is his father's dream, but what Matthew really wants is to play drums with a rock band. He starts practicing, but has trouble saving money to buy a drum kit, which seems to be fairly essential if he is ever going to put together a group. He has other things that get in his way-- his family's general reluctance to help him with anything, his friends, who have other ways for him to spend his money, his job at his uncle's Mexican restaurant, a ...more
Leigh Collazo

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: Meh. I am sure there are plenty of middle school boys who will love this book, but for me, it is slow-paced with dull characters and not enough action or conflict. I honestly didn't care whether Matthew got his drums, though I did enjoy reading about Matthew's creative solutions. I don't think it is a terrible book, but it isn't anything to rave about, either. Matthew Meets the Man lacks the charm of Kinney's Wimpy Kid and Angleberger's Origami Yoda serie
Heidi
4.5 stars. Matt begins high school playing trumpet in the marching band but REALLY wanting to be a first-class drummer. After a guy at school tells him about The MAN (anyone in position of authority or control), Matt begins to look at adults in that manner--how they conspire to keep him down. When he asks for a raise in his allowance, his dad agrees but adds new chores into the deal. Every time he begins saving money for a drum set to get him towards his dream, A MAN gets in his way (figurativel ...more
Christina
While I don't think I'm the target audience for this book, I think it hits the bulls eye for preteens. And yet, I still found a lot to connect with. In addition to the plot being fun and engaging, Nichols takes advantage of his equally impressive talent as a visual artist. Drawings by Nichols peppered throughout the book don't simply depict what's happening but enrich the reading experience. The main character is particularly like-able. Although he wants to be cool and be in a band, Matthew is s ...more
Tracy Bailey
Fun story about a high school freshman who is learning how to navigate dating, parents, and The Man. Good book for middle school boys.
Natalie Cheetham
Matthew is a typical freshman boy. Likes videogames, girls, and dreams of becoming famous in a rock band. "The Man" keeps holding him back though, and he finds that he must think outside of the box to fulfill his dream...or, at least to move beyond step 1 of buying a drum kit.

It's a cute quick read. It's got some doodles interspersed throughout...ala Origami Yoda and Diary of a Wimpy Kid...but it is not nearly the same caliber (story-wise or doodle-wise) as Yoda and Diary.
Aaron
Travis has a great style of writing/drawing that is easy to follow and clear to understand. This makes the book PERFECT for young adults (I teach 8th grade and have ordered copies for my classroom library). The themes are relevant to kids and adults alike (I won't ruin the story for you), so no matter your age, you will really enjoy this read and get a bit out of it.
Amy
Matthew Meets the Man is like Diary of a Wimpy kids minus the potty humor crossed with King Dork minus the blow jobs. Although it's about high schoolers, it's more likely to appeal to (and is appropriate for) middle school students.
Kathrine
Way to stick it to The Man. I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of all the times I had encounters with The Man. The illustrations were wonderful!
Mindy
Cute book. I would recommend it to middle school boys, especially reluctant readers with an interest in music.
Edward Sullivan
Matt's travails and humorous perspective on life will resonate with many adolescent readers, especially boys.
Buffie
The 6th graders will like this book. Matt is a very relatable character for the 21st century reader.
Cute middle school book about a boy learning to make his decisions. Funny!
Fun story, great teen boy voice. Illustrations added to the appeal.
Claire
An easy sell to Wimpy Kid fans, but not my cup of tea.
Brenda Kahn
Cute, mildly humorous. Should have appeal.
Karen
Jun 01, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jfic
The drum kit was pretty funny and awesome.
Colette
Colette is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
About twice a month, I have a dream that I'm in my house and I discover a fish tank. It's dingy, overgrown with algae, and FULL of fish. They're swimming around and seem to be okay in the murky water, but I feel so horrible. I completely forgot that I had a fish tank. Those little guys must have been breeding like crazy just so they'd have something to eat.

Oh. Copy... PASTE. Travis Nichols is a wr
More about Travis Nichols...
Punk Rock Etiquette: The Ultimate How-to Guide for DIY, Punk, Indie, and Underground Bands Uglydoll, Vol. 1 Uglydoll: Eat Dat! The Monster Doodle Book Uglydoll: My Hero?