Start by marking “If You Are a Hunter of Fossils” as Want to Read:
If You Are a Hunter of Fossils

If You Are a Hunter of Fossils

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Millions of years have passed since the desert was ocean, but the fossils still tell its story. And if you are lucky enough to find one, the ancient past can come back to flood your imagination. Byrd Baylor's eloquent prose-poem is complemented by Peter Parnall's vivid illustrations in a book that is itself a lasting treasure.
Published November 1st 1984 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published July 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about If You Are a Hunter of Fossils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Are a Hunter of Fossils

Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
This picture book is written in poetry format, describing the adventures of a hunter of fossils. Information about fossls, such as trilobites that lives five hundred years agao, dinosaur tracts, and seed ferns are explored. Manyk places are named, such as the rhioceros bone found in the hills of Nebraska, or the sponges in the rocks of an Iowa farm. I would use this book to blend a literacy and science lesson in grades 3 - 5. The science content will lead to a lesson to meet GPS standards S3E1 a ...more
Shannon
Jan 01, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Zowie. I've had this book in my tote bag for no fewer than three months, and I'd never opened it because I thought it would be a boring, outdated, limited-color look at fossil hunting. (And I'm a dinosaur-lover, so you'd think I'd be particularly kind towards a book like this.) Nope. So wrong. Still timely, still lovely. I absolutely plan to use this book during my rocks and minerals unit, and I might even plan a National Board lesson around it.
Alexis Levine
If You Are a Hunter of Fossils is a book about environments a fossil hunter person would go to in search of fossils and what are characteristics of different fossils. THis book is written like a poem and could be used for literacy or science for those reasons for children in grades 2nd-5th when discussing fossils and classification.

Jazelle Washington
Feb 19, 2012 Jazelle Washington rated it liked it
The book mentions places a hunter of fossils would go to look for fossils, and how some of the fossils would loook. For example, a trilobite would be a fossil that's five hundred millions years old.
Debra
Apr 07, 2012 Debra added it
Shelves: science-content
K - 5

Fossils and Human Connection with Nature
Brendan M.
Brendan M. marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Brett Tillman
Brett Tillman rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Randy Thorne
Randy Thorne rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
Jul 11, 2015
Sarah Hazlett
Sarah Hazlett marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Taylor
Taylor added it
Feb 19, 2015
Mikiah Haslam
Mikiah Haslam marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Adrienne Mihal
Adrienne Mihal marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Oct 08, 2014
Hunter Byrd
Hunter Byrd rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Cameron Stradling
Cameron Stradling marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Elizabeth Manley
Elizabeth Manley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Audra Rowell
Audra Rowell rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Byrd Baylor has always lived in the Southwest, mainly in Southern Arizona near the Mexican border. She is at home with the southwestern desert cliffs and mesas, rocks and open skies. She is comforted by desert storms. The Tohono O’odham people, previously known as the Papagos, are her neighbors and close friends. She has focused many of her writings on the region’s landscape, peoples, and values. ...more
More about Byrd Baylor...