Start by marking “Christopher and Columbus” as Want to Read:
Christopher and Columbus

Christopher and Columbus

A story of two sisters voyaging to America during the Great War, from one of the most popular novelists of her time
Paperback
Published August 21st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1919)

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I thought this would be a fun light read, but it turned out to be a good example of a book that has not stood the test of time. (Amusingly, the bookjacket states that it's set on the eve of WWII - given that the book was published in 1919, naming the wrong war should have been an easy mistake to catch.) I read 131 pages and it had yet to arrive at a plot. A novel's got to have something at stake; even if it's just "can the protagonist keep the surprise party a secret?", there has to be something ...more
Mona
I took this book on vacation with me to a sunny, warm destination with palm trees, and it turned out to be the perfect read - sweet and fluffy, sort of like cotton candy without the toothache at the end.

This was my first von Arnim. A few people have recommended Elizabeth and Her German Garden to me but reading the descriptions of that book did not motivate me. Really? A year in the life of a woman learning to garden? Um...no. It's only after reading this book that I can see how something like t
Elena T.
Oct 12, 2015 Elena T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siamo agli albori del primo conflitto mondiale in questo bel romanzo di Elizabeth Von Armin intitolato “Cristoforo e Colombo”, dove le gemelle Anna Rose e Anna Felicitas Von Twinkler sono due ragazze tedesche orfane di entrambi i genitori che vengono affidate alle cure dell’inglese zio Arthur e consorte. Eh no, soluzione a dir poco inaccettabile per l’insofferente zio: le giovani sono tedesche, praticamente il nemico, e non può in alcun modo tenersele in casa.

Nemmeno il tempo di abituarsi al nuo
Lora
Mar 13, 2017 Lora rated it really liked it
Delightful fluff. Enjoyed every page. Save it for a down time in your life, when it can serve as the escapist fun you need with that freshly spiced sardonic skewering of particular personalities with which we have been burdened in our society.
Got it free on Kindle, but had to dig- its' getting harder and harder to find those free versions! Or maybe my tastes just run too obscure? Well wake up, people, and read this stuff! Then I will be part of mainstream culture without having to give up any e
Nicole
Oct 01, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
This is an old book, published in 1919, and my nice-smelling copy was made in 1919. It's a story about twin girls, orphans, named Anna-Rose and Anna-Felicitas (what kind of name is that?) who have the misfortune of being half English and half German during World War I. It's just the story of what they do in response to this. It took me a long time to decide whether I liked the two girls or not, because in some ways they take initiative and take their future into their own hands, but they are als ...more
Tanya
Sep 10, 2008 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A delightful story that is fun to read, not just to finish. Anna-Rose and Anna-Felicitas are seventeen-year-old twins who find themselves orphaned and without a home or even a country since their father was German and their mother was English. World War I has begun and few people are willing to take in even children with any German connections. They are sent away on a ship to live with an uncle's acquaintances in America but nothing seems to turn out as it should...
Littlem7
Jun 12, 2014 Littlem7 rated it really liked it
Delightful is the word that comes to mind. Great vacation read! I laughed often while reading this. Lots of humorous insights about humankind.
Erica
Sep 14, 2009 Erica rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the Twinkler sisters, and enjoyed their adventures as they progressed from Pomerania to Acapulco. Typical of Elizabeth von Arnim, beautiful language, humour, and wit.
cindy l fenton
Feb 23, 2017 cindy l fenton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chic book

A good G rated love story. Being half German I remember my mom telling stories of what it was like to be German during WWII. Not easy
Leslie
Dec 27, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it
Christopher and Columbus are two twin sisters, half English half German,(actually both named Anna) who are heading towards America on a steamer at the beginning of WW1. They are orphans raised in Pomerania (that's Germany)but who have no German relatives who want to raise half English teenage twins and their English relatives won't have them because of the newly stirred up German-hatered going around like a virus. They meet a nice older man who takes pity on them as they cross the Atlantic, and ...more
K.
Free on Kindle. Author of "The Enchanted April" (which I haven't read, yet).

Charmed. Absolutely. Totally frivolous, but wonderfully diverting. Laughed out loud many times (enough to elicit comments of "what are you reading??" from family members).

Chronicling the adventures of a pair of half-English and beginning of WWI damning half-German orphaned twins literally set adrift by unsympathetic English relatives. Put on board the "St. Luke" embarking for America with abundance of naivety and 200 p
Amy
Apr 12, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 Victoria Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humour
I really loved this gentle, humorous, uplifting novel about twins Anna-Rose and Anna-Felicitas leaving England for America during the war. Elizabeth von Arnim writes beautifully and effortlessly. The two girls are artless, naturally outspoken and vulnerable orphans, neither completely German, nor completely English. It sounds corny, but it isn't.
Juniper
Despite the two Anna's difficulties, I think this book is a really sweet one. It shows how people can be strange and unkind, but it's also a tale of hope and courage. And, it's really well written and delightfully vintage.
I will certainly read more books by Mrs von Arnim.
Tintaglia
Jul 10, 2012 Tintaglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Mrs. Von Arnim, il piacere è stato mio!
Alta
Elizabeth von Arnim's novels are among the wittiest and most entertaining novels I've ever read.
Janice
Aug 23, 2011 Janice rated it liked it
The story was good, but at times I felt it went on and on and on. The subtle humor was very enjoyable.
Rebecca Cypher
May 30, 2010 Rebecca Cypher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a charming book. Truly enjoyable and fun. A light read, but pretty thorough observations and wittiness sprinkled throughout.
Sandra
Dec 17, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it
Orphaned twin girls travel to America on a ship. Everything seems to fall into place for them and there is humor in this story.
Kirsty
Jul 13, 2016 Kirsty rated it it was ok
I normally adore von Arnim's work, but did not become absorbed in this. I decided to give up on it for now.
Val
Val rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Ayla Torun
Ayla Torun rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Vera Maharani
Apr 11, 2017 Vera Maharani rated it really liked it
My dear friend Elizabeth von Arnim! It is a relief that for once she is writing something with an actual happy ending (I think).

More review later (I promise! Have so many things to say), gotta go to work.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Linden
Linden rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
  • The Brontës Went to Woolworths
  • The Skin Chairs
  • Mrs. Miniver
2098
Elizabeth, Countess Russell, was a British novelist and, through marriage, a member of the German nobility, known as Mary Annette Gräfin von Arnim.

Born Mary Annette Beauchamp in Sydney, Australia, she was raised in England and in 1891 married Count Henning August von Arnim, a Prussian aristocrat, and the great-great-great-grandson of King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia.

She had met von Arnim durin
More about Elizabeth von Arnim...