A Nation Like No Other: Why American Exceptionalism Matters

A Nation Like No Other: Why American Exceptionalism Matters

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  16 reviews
It’s become fashionable among the liberal elite to downplay, deride, even deny America’s greatness. The political correctness police insist that America is “hated” around the world for being too big, too powerful, too rich, too successful, too loud, too intrusive. And besides, it’s not nice to brag.

They are completely missing the point.

America’s greatness, America’s except...more
Published June 13th 2011 by Regnery Publishing

Brienne Shkedi
Since there's a possibility Newt might be our next President I thought it'd be good to understand his views on American politics and issues. Less than 20 pages into the book, though, and I feel like I'm being lectured. I'm set on finishing since I still think it's important, but I seriously hope he finds himself a good speechwriter or else we risk the American pubic being lulled into a coma during his term in office.

Finally decided to give up. I don't feel like being lectured, and since it looks...more
Jim Gallen
In “A Nation Like No Other” Newt Gingrich gives his views on American Exceptionalism, why America is different from all other countries, where it has strayed from its exceptional path, what it will take to get it back on track and why it is necessary that we do so. He treats the reader to a history lesson about a country built on the idea of freedom country that has fought to defend its ideals and that has voluntarily contributed more to the needy than any land in history. He blasts the Obama Ad...more
Richard
This is quite simply the best and clearest book on what makes this country exceptional that I have ever read. Gingrich is crystal clear. The book carries a patriotic message, but it isn't about blind patriotism or mindless patriotism. The American ideal is under constant assault, sometime from those who mean well, sometimes from those who don't. It is essential for Americans to understand what we have, what our Founders and subsequent generations fought for and achieved.

Obama said that he believ...more
Manuja
I Love Newt’s vision for American Exceptionalism. I believe that the Ten Steps to Restoring (American) Exceptionalism can be used by any country that wants to move towards prosperity. Dr. Gingrich emphasizes on understanding the History of USA to Empowering our Citizens. He explains his vision through stories and examples. He speaks about philanthropy, volunteering, participating in local communities and teaching children. This is a book to pass along to our children and grand children. From the...more
Johanna Gail Tongco
Newt Gingrich's view on America's political dynamics is supported in this book by how history turned United States of America as an exceptional country.
The book was written by dwelling on how history shaped the people and the government for centuries.
This is a good all-nighter book!
Michelle
Gingrich has great insight into what has made America so great. Combining examples from our nation's history with common sense, his view of the downward spiral our great nation is beginning resonnated with me. I agree with what he termed the "Obama Doctrine" of "leading from behind" (which seemed like an oxy-moron to me when Obama first coined it during a press conference regarding the recent hit-&-miss support of Libyan rebels against their tyrannical leader). Gingrich doesn't just "complai...more
June
This is the worst book I've read this year. I expected no less. Everything that I wanted to say has already been said in most of the 1-star reviews on Amazon so I won't get into it. All you need to know is that he is a highly misinformed "historian" who likes to do nothing but use this opportunity to trash talk Obama. He has a very skewed view of everything and came off as racist, sexist, misogynistic, ableist, and just about every form of oppression against a marginalized group. The fact that p...more
goddess
I picked this up at Borders' clearance sale several months ago. A light and entertaining read. Nothing necessarily earth shattering; but interesting enough to keep my attention. I've gotten similar talking points from several other pundits, but I did find some new insights. I'm sure this book was quite strategic, being that Gingrich is running for POTUS. If he stands behind every one of his assertions then he is someone I could get behind. Gingrich is one of the sharpest political minds out ther...more
E. Scott
Gingrich has a knowledge and understanding of history, particularly the Reagan Era, that is second to none and quite useful in light of our country's present circumstances. Probably dry reading for those not into biographical sketches or history, I found it fast paced and enlightening.
F.Alan Reynolds
I enjoyed the book in that it was chock full of American History facts. And the book does illustrate what a great country we live in. However I didn't enjoy the lecturing tone of the author especially on the topic of marriage, for soooo many reasons.
AmblingBooks
Praise for Gingrich's Gettysburg: "A veritable feast." � Publishers Weekly

Listen to A Nation like No Other on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Amanda Grannen
If you're into politics and history, this is a great read. Newt may get hounded in the media, but his values and ideals are true to what it really means to be an American. Loved the book!!!
Ken
I really enjoyed reading something positive about America for a change. I've always been proud of my country and this book presented the evidence for that feeling.
Jim Blessing
This book was an amazing one-sided political diatribe that was completely distasteful.
Alex Drinkwater, Jr.
About half-way through - most impressive! For all his faults, I wish he were president.
Jonathan Minnick
Why can't this guy be our president?
Steve Hager
Steve Hager marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Katayoun Ashkan
Katayoun Ashkan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Christopher Grear
Christopher Grear marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Eric Parekh
Eric Parekh marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re...more
More about Newt Gingrich...
Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1) To Try Men's Souls (George Washington, #1) Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th (Pearl Harbor, #1) Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2) Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)