Start by marking “Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog” as Want to Read:
Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog

Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  23 reviews
True to the Smashing Magazine's promise, Smashing WordPress smashes readers with the WordPress information they need to make their life easier. Really. Inside, WordPress expert Thord Daniel Hedengren takes readers beyond the basic blog, to push WordPress to its limits as a CMS, a forum, a photo gallery, an e-commerce site and more. Updated and revised to cover the changes ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Smashing Wordpress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smashing Wordpress

Mar 22, 2015 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress developers
This book is for the experienced WordPress designer, not the beginner. Although it does touch on some WordPress essentials, it's mostly a how-to guide for creating WordPress themes and plugins, and generally bending WordPress to your will.

The book is laid out well, with colored blocks of code interspersed with the text describing it. There are very few screenshots and diagrams; more of these would have definitely helped me better understand what the code snippets were actually doing.

Notes
WordPre
Sep 16, 2013 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress developers
This book is mostly a how-to guide for creating WordPress themes and plugins, and generally bending WordPress to your will.

The book is laid out well, with colored blocks of code interspersed with the text describing it. It could have used more screenshots and diagrams to demonstrate what the code snippets were doing.

I read the first edition in 2010, then read the second (2011) edition in 2013. By that time the second edition was somewhat dated, but still contained some good info. Below are my no
Mar 22, 2015 Chad Warner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress developers
This is a useful guide for intermediate to advanced WordPress developers. It covers theme development, plugin development, and customizing sites for various uses. It has clear examples, code snippets, and color screenshots.

I skimmed it because I personally do very little development; I now leave that to my teammates at OptimWise, my web design agency.

Notes
Drop-in plugins overwrite core functionality. Example: advanced-cache.php.

Use plugins rather than functions.php in most cases. Only use functi
Angela Risner
I switched from Blogger to WordPress in 2006/2007. I wish that this book would have been around then, as I would have loved to have been able to tweak my blog on my own. As it was, I ended up hiring someone to create a theme for me, which wasn't cheap, and it was a disaster as I couldn't then make any updates on my own. This book would have helped me to close those gaps and allowed me to create the look I wanted to achieve.

This book makes me want to go back to WordPress and try my hand at creati
Dhuaine
Excellent book on Wordpress. Very technical, with tons of code and more advanced examples than what seems to be the standard technical book fare. Theming tutorials I've read in the past didn't go into such detail; I also learned about a few more obscure ways to use Wordpress. Great resource for someone who's into Wordpress coding, but may be too dry for others.
Katya Kean
It feels as if English isn't the author's first language. The grammar and spelling is technically correct and obviously intelligent and informed, but the feel of it seems "off" somehow, and it makes this subtly less readable. English isn't just about rules of grammar, it's about a customary way of using it.
I find that if I read the words in a Swedish accent in my head, it actually helps my comprehension.
Andy Gibb
Between the welter of Idiots, Dummies and Beginners guides, and the few reference books (or Bibles) it's hard to find something for those who want to know more than the basics. This could have been it for WordPress but, having struggled past Part II, I reluctantly have to say it's a mess. Ideas and concepts are strung throughout the text and I've spent more time referring back than actually reading forward. It doesn't help that raw wodges of code are repeated and you have to extract the point of ...more
Denise / Empty Mirror
A very well-thought-out and well-organized explanation of how to go about using WordPress for much more than blogs. WordPress not only powers blogs, but can also be used as an advanced CMS, used to build traditional websites, magazines sites, photo gallery, and other non-blogs. Thord Daniel Hedengren has a clear writing style. Before this book, the WordPress loop was very mysterious to me, but Hedengren's explanations made a lot of sense. The list of recommended plugins was especially helpful to ...more
Kelly
I am setting up a custom theme for Wordpress and this book, along with his one on themes, really helped me understand it better than many of the online resources I have been using. I am heavily weighted towards the design side of things in terms of website development and this book helped by giving me a more visual way of learning the ins and outs of Wordpress themes and Wordpress structure.
Beau
There seems to be some typos or mistakes in the code examples of this Kindle edition.
This didn't really become evident to me until I began working with the actual code exercises in chapters 4 & 5.
While I like Mr. Hedengren's writing style, I feel as if I'd wasted a bit of time with the book.

I would like to see more rigorous technical editing in the forthcoming 4th edition.
dario
For the geek inside of me... the book, the method, the explanations, the raison detre, it was ok. Technically, correct.
With lots of data, examples, and some hacks or tricks (choose the word that you like it) to rule this CMS.
Smashing Magazine does it again... in my humble opinion.
A healthy habit...
Christine Leiser
Terrific book that really breaks down WordPress and just how useful a content management system it is. Covers basics to advanced, plugins, theme creation. Very well written, easy conversational style. Beautifully done. A must for any WordPress enthusiast.
Jason Jacobs
Useful as a reference. I found some good information/tips and helpful explanations. If the WordPress codex explanations start making my head tired, I'll consult this for a simplified explanation. Have encountered some outdated info.
Boadicea
Must-read to learn the nuts and bolts of the wordpress framework plus provides the basics of how to extend and use wordpress not just for blogging but as the cms of choice for small to medium websites.
Sonia
Most of this information is available with a Google search. That being said, there are a few snippets which were useful. This is a great start for anyone wanting to learn WordPress templating.
T.L. Morganfield
Pretty good. It answered all my questions when I was building my own WP site several years ago and was able to build something that looked pretty nice.
Dwayne
Pretty good, covered much of what I was looking for, which were some fundamentals but also more intermediate questions.
The more I read the more I learn.
Sebah
فيه أشياء مفيدة، تتعلق بالتصميم و إدارة الووردبرس تقنيا. أظنه يناسب المبتدئ في الووردبرس و المتمرس أيضا.
Mohamad Billy
Good book, for advanced wordpress maniacs, but for newbie it needs alot of learning about Wp- structure
Robert
Very good Wordpress instruction book. Liked it so much I bought a copy for my reference shelf.
Matt Neputin
I've read through a LOT of books about wordpress, and this one is by far the best.
Jc Harrington
Great introduction to "the loop" for any WordPress developers out there.
Ahmed Abdul
Feb 16, 2011 Ahmed Abdul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
a Good reference
Miriam Dix
Miriam Dix marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2015
Dominika Dašková
Dominika Dašková marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Aman Jais
Aman Jais marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Digging Into WordPress
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • The Smashing Book
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Introducing HTML5
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • WordPress For Dummies
  • PHP Cookbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Smashing WordPress Themes: Making WordPress Beautiful Tackling Tumblr: Web Publishing Made Simple The Writer's iPad Sviluppare con WordPress: nuova edizione aggiornata (Guida completa)