Start by marking “Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory” as Want to Read:
Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory

Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  9 reviews
textformat=02>
Paperback, Third Edition
Published October 10th 2000 by Longman (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Texts and Contexts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texts and Contexts

Karl Steel
Dec 21, 2007 Karl Steel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students assigned it, new profs looking for pedagogical tips
Lynn steers past the shoals that sunk my pedagogical interest in the Guide for the Perplexed lit theory survey, first, by providing clear examples of how each school of thought reads, and by anticipating objections to the weirdness and political engagement (or at least pretensions to political engagement) of each of these schools. His section on Freud, for example, congenially (which is the tone, throughout) explains that the concept of penis envy "continues even today to drive people up a wall. ...more
Snorkle
We read through this whole book for my Lit Crit class. I thought it did a fairly nice job of summarizing all the different types of literary criticism and I enjoyed the random cartoons throughout the book. I also thought it was funny because the tone of voice for the book was very casual and sounded a lot like my teacher, which is probably why he picked it for our course reading. I'd only recommend if you were interested in this subject.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogs
Deanna
I have read most of this book now. PAINFUL would be a good way to describe it. I am still will be using it until I finish my BYU writing class. Painful, would be another way to describe this class. The only thing keeping me going in this writing class is that I will get to do lots more history classes after this.

I know that just because something is painful it doesn't mean that it isn't good for me. So I keep repeating, "Taking this class is good for me," over and over.
sologdin
mid-level undergraduate primer that lays down basic concepts for several schools of literary interpretation: romanticism, formalism, historicism, structuralism & post-structuralism, psychologism, feminism, &c. (the edition that I had in school relegated Marxism to a footnote.)

probably good for its intended task of preparing the student for more detailed study of literary theory. best part is the trippy illustrations.
Kassy
Texts and Contexts is a very accessible, often fun, survey of critical schools in literary thought. Lynn employs whimsical drawings, a travel metaphor, and excellent step by step examples, which are all very helpful. I read it for a class, but I would suggest it to anyone wondering about the ways that we view literature within modern, post modern, and contemporary thought.
Erin
May 04, 2012 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, non-fiction
Wasn't able to finish this before the end of the semester, though I did read the assigned sections and therefore ended up reading most of the book. Hopefully I'll get to finish it up at some point, since it was a good introduction to literary theory, especially for someone like me who had never been in that type of class before.
jacky
This text was not as useful to me as Guerin's text. I am not sure if that is because I was already familiar with Guerin's by the time I was required to read this or because Guerin's was just better.
Kristyn Hammond
Oct 02, 2008 Kristyn Hammond rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, English students, professors, critics
An excellent discussion on the writing process as it pertains to the various critical theories.
Marilyn Anderson
It was hard to get through, but it was interesting. I had to read it for AP English IV
Anas
Anas marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Abibliophobic
Abibliophobic is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Zulkifli Praditya
Zulkifli Praditya marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Dalila
Dalila is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
Girlie Sandigan
Girlie Sandigan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
  • Falling Into Theory: Conflicting Views on Reading Literature
  • A Reader's Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory
  • Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past
  • Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose
  • Literary Feuds A Century of Celebrated Quarrels - From Mark Twain to Tom Wolfe
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of "Proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • Everything's an Argument with Readings
  • The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make: A Guide for Teens
  • Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
  • MetaMaus: A Look Inside a Modern Classic, Maus
Literature: Reading and Writing with Critical Strategies Rhetoric and Composition: An Introduction How Literature Matters: Critical Strategies and Communities at the University of South Carolina A Short Guide to Writing Samuel Johnson after Deconstruction: Rhetoric and the Rambler