A Duas Vozes

A Duas Vozes

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Uma idosa profetisa de Delfos, o mais sagrado oráculo da Grécia antiga, passa em retrospectiva a sua estranha vida como Pítia, a Primeira-Dama e voz do deus Apolo. Arieka, uma jovem virgem de perturbantes dons parapsíquicos, foi confiada pelos pais ao serviço do santuário. Há sessenta anos que ela é o verdadeiro médium, com a boca rasgada de equívocas declarações profética...more
Published 1996 by Difel (first published 1995)

Queirosiana
"Arieka, a Pítia, é um retrato convincente da experiência de uma mulher, coisa rara na obra de Golding, constituindo uma das suas melhores criações."

Trouxe este livro da biblioteca por acaso ... e simplesmente porque na capa dizia "Prémio Nobel" ... estava desesperada e nenhum livro me chamava à atenção e pensei ... se o autor ganhou um Nobel é porque tem de ser Muito Bom, agarrei no livro e requisitei-o. Bendita a hora em que o fiz!

Adorei o livro do princípio ao fim.

Mas tenho de admitir que alg...more
Rachel
As many other readers have commented - I would have liked to have been able to see the finished (and hopefully slightly longer) draft - but sadly this is all William Golding had time to do. This was a really fine book, and interesting to read shortly after The Origin of the Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind (though Golding's characters are definitely conscious in the modern sense). My favourite bit was Arieka's first experience of being the Pythia, when strange voices and mani...more
Dan
Double Tongue was an odd one for me. When I set down the book I remember thinking to myself "I liked this. Didn't I?" Part of this ambivalence is no doubt due to the incomplete nature of the manuscript - Golding died prior to finishing it, and we can only guess at what his intentions were regarding changes or revisions.

At the same time, The Double Tongue has a great deal to offer by way of thoughtful commentary and reflection on the nature of divinity and religious experience. At no point does G...more
Cameron
kinda iffy on the discussion of rape but interesting otherwise!
Deb
This book was left unfinished by Golding, although the manuscript was believed to be more or less complete. I liked the early part of the book: the plot had me hooked, particularly the two central characters. It is an aspect of ancient history that has been largely ignored in modern fiction. However, I was disappointed with the way the characters were developed, and felt hustled towards the end. The book could probably have been twice as long without the quality suffering.
Janet
I loved this book - given that it was his first draught (not sure why they didn't publish 2nd or 3rd) it was so polished, there was only one part which I felt was out of kilter, where there's a dinner party and much discussion about Rome etc. probably a few more edits and this would have be smoothed out. A great read with really interesting and challenging characters.
Derek Bridge
There's no doubting that there is an unfinished feel to this novel, in draft at Golding's death. But it is still compelling, fizzing with ideas as all Golding's novels. The layers of hypocrisy, the interplay of pragmatism and latent faith, are at its core.
Bogdan
It was a nice idea to make a novel about how ancient priests and priestess were feeling and thinking. Too bad that the novel is not finished, because I am sure it had addition charm. This way the novel is interesting, but nothing more.
Angela
William Golding deserved the Nobel prix for literature. When someone has a gift what they do seems to be effortless. He has that gift. Thank you for enriching my life. (Kristin)

Simon
Like the other of Golding's novels I've read, this is deeply thoughtful and affecting. Especially so given that is a posthumously published first draft. Wonderful.
Maria
ну, я верю, что если бы Голдинг не умер во время работы над этим романом, в итоге все было бы куда лучше. но в такой версии - занудно и ожидаемо.
Audrey
this book was ok i was confused at what was going on most of the time. The idea was great but it jut fell through.
Timo
Mooi boek, de psychologie van de hoofdpersoon was overtuigend. Ik ben benieuwd naar zijn andere boeken.
Shawna
Loved the end! Had no idea Golding wrote like this--smart and rich with subtle feeling.
Carla
wonderfully and wittily well written. He is a jenius!
Chrissy
One of the best novels on ancient Greece I've read!
Tonia
Tonia added it
Jul 19, 2014
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Nima
Nima marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Nosugref
Nosugref marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
  • Gospođica
  • The Interpreters
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • Crónica del rey pasmado
  • Witch Hill (Occult Tales, #3)
  • Estação Carandiru
  • The Magician of Lublin
  • Thérèse Desqueyroux
  • Last of the Amazons
  • Achilles
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Electronic Revolution
Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted by the Queen of England in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding...more
More about William Golding...
Lord of the Flies Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1) The Inheritors Pincher Martin: The Two Deaths of Christopher Martin Darkness Visible