Start by marking “Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry” as Want to Read:
Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry

Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry

Glasser's classic bestseller, with more than 500,000 copies sold, examines his alternative to Freudian psychoanalytic procedures, explains the procedure, contrasts it to conventional treatment, and describes different individual cases in which it was successful.
Published November 16th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 28th 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Reality Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reality Therapy

Timothy Krecsmar
Interesting theory...
Glasser's theory that emotionally distressed individuals are behaving irresponsibly because "they deny the reality of the world around them" resonates with me in my classroom. While not always practical (or defensible, in my opinion) I am definitely tweaking my approach in my classroom. My new mantra will be "are you doing the responsible thing?" Teach students that fulfilling their needs has to be done so as not to deprive others of the ability to meet theirs.
Kind of been d
Kate  Rosenberg
I'm not hip to all the therapy schools/styles, but I am hip to Glasser's approach. He understands therapy as a somewhat reciprocal process and limits "processing" (or the more psychoanalytic aproach) to just getting the shit done. He's right up my alley. Or rather, I'm right up his. I bet I wouldn't be so damn crazy if he'd have ever been my therapist.
Juliana
Feb 26, 2011 Juliana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
As a young therapist in the field, there are many parts of this book that frustrated me and turned me off... however, I realized that I wasn't seriously taking into account the whole of Glasser's approach: TO NEVER GIVE UP on a client means a commitment to unconditional regard and consistency that most therapists cannot actually afford to make or follow-through on. However, within the foundation of such a strong relationship and by remembering HIS definition of terms such as "responsibility" and ...more
Ted Mallory
Mar 11, 2009 Ted Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching, psych
Just a terrific resource. Glasser is great. I don't 100% agree with absolutely everything, but his main points- meaningful involvement with the student, non-acceptance of irresponsible behavior, showing them how to behave responsibly. While first I plan to take a break for some guilty pleasure summer fiction reading- I'm definitely planning on reading some more of Dr. William Glasser.
Michael Seabrook
As much as I apprecitate the method put forward by Glasser in this book, I don't agree that it should be a 'be all and end all' sort of treatment. Whilst it's efficiency in assisting in behaviour change is quite notable, the failure it shows in truly understanding individuals is also visible. In fact it doesn't view long-term activities which may have occured in the individual's life as having any reasoning for why they commit what they do.

I do appreciate it's potential benefits in the event of
Carmen
Jul 21, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book influenced me and my work when I was employed in Child Welfare at D.H.S. It's probably out of style by now with many new and better theories taking its place. But it was important back in the '70s.
Suzanne
This was a great read! I read it years ago and have continued to read William Glasser's books, taken his classes, and tried to apply his theories both in my classroom and in my life. This is a gem!
Lisa Greer
May 18, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and loved this one summer while working with troubled teens. It flies in the face, though, of our most recent sensibilities about how self esteem is gained, etc.
Nate Cooley
Great book about accepting responsibility and learning how to love and be loved.
James
Feb 03, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I agree with some of the points in this book and others not so much. Like any psychological theory, different ideas, methods, processes, etc. appeal to different people. In my own opinion, taking a particular approach and saying that this is the best way or the only way is difficult at best.

That said, Glasser's book basically says that therapists need to show the patient what is reality and not accept excuses about past events or such. Glasser's ideas of taking responsibility for your actions, t
Daniel Pew
Easy to read, entertaining enough to read through quickly. The dialog feels made up at points, not realistic. The treatments seem okay, I'm sure it works if the therapist believes it will and can convince the client to take responsibility for their issues. Not sure yet if I buy the theory lock, stock, and barrel but parts of it seem useful.
Bryan
Jan 08, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of Glasser's work and read this simply for background and to get a better concept of how Choice Theory and Reality Therapy has evolved. After reading this book I have to confess that I'm surprised just how much that is true.

Many "pioneers" of therapeutic interventions often fall into this trap of convincing themselves, and trying to convince others, that their idea is perfect as it is. Having read the newer stuff first and coming back to this book, I can say that this is not at
Stella
Jun 28, 2012 Stella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate some of the concepts in Reality Therapy, but overall, Glasser's ideas strike me as examples of extreme thinking. Absolutely no mental illness? People suffering from major psychiatric problems are simply irresponsible? His beliefs about the LGBTQ community and women are difficult to get through, as well. I realize the text was written in 1964, but it seems that an educated individual such as Dr. Glasser, would have possessed slightly more evolved thoughts concerning social issues.
Sam Dye
Dec 17, 2012 Sam Dye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first of many by the author. The concept that the whole Freudian approach is wrong and in fact harmful needs wider exposure. For some reason the clearing of a chronic ward at the LA VAH with RT didn't get the press it should have. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books. This book is amazing because it reports results that had never been seen before.
Paula
Nov 27, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this was Glasser's first cohesive manifesto about Reality Therapy, and can be enjoyed for basic understanding of his position, and for historical purposes, his theories are much more readable and rounded-out in his later book, Choice Theory.
Scott Shifferd
Nov 16, 2016 Scott Shifferd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Responsible Therapy

Glasser's findings are a breakthrough for psychology. His observations are eye-opening, practical, and highly responsible. I highly recommend this book to all counselors and teachers.
ZaRi
مردم نه به علت اینکه "بیمارند" غیر مسئولانه عمل می کنند بلکه چون غیر مسئولانه عمل می کنند بیمار هستند.
مسئولیت پذیری، به معنای توانایی فرد در برآورده کردن نیازهای خود است، البته به شیوه ای که مانع برآورده شدن نیازهای دیگران نشود.
SueAnn
Jun 15, 2009 SueAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book I read for an undergrad psychology course.
Alan
Jan 16, 2017 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting 60's approach to therapy. I'll hunt out some of William Glasser's other books to see how his approach evolved.
Fishface
Jan 31, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health, how-to
One of the best, most sensible approaches to therapy out there. This is the book that helped blast psychotherapy out of its psychoanalytic concrete. Every shrink should read it. And use it.
Sassy
Apr 25, 2008 Sassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-changing
A must read for teachers, parents of teenagers, and anyone with problems with emotional grasping.
Diane
May 20, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous information. I've appreciated the wisdom in this book for many years.
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 Brian Johnson is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Glasser's "Positive Addiction" and this one is lookin' sweet as well. Fun.
Jasmin Martin
Oct 11, 2016 Jasmin Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for everyone.
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Shelby Major
Shelby Major rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2017
Shane Dalton
Shane Dalton rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Dr Lisa
Dr Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Ebony Lopez
Ebony Lopez rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
  • Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective
  • Groups: Process and Practice [With Infotrac]
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Toxic Psychiatry: Why Therapy, Empathy & Love Must Replace the Drugs, Electroshock & Biochemical Theories of the New Psychiatry
  • The Meaning of Anxiety
  • Conjoint Family Therapy
  • Friedman's Fables (with Booklet)
  • Inpatient Group Psychotherapy
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy
  • The Manufacture of Madness
  • How To Keep People From Pushing Your Buttons
  • Gestalt Therapy
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior

“Never say no when you mean yes,” 0 likes
“we learn responsibility through involvements with responsible fellow human beings, preferably loving parents who will love and discipline us properly, who are intelligent enough to allow us freedom to try out our newly acquired responsibility as soon as we show readiness to do so.” 0 likes