Start by marking “At the Foot of the Rainbow” as Want to Read:
At the Foot of the Rainbow

At the Foot of the Rainbow

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  302 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. "And the bow shall be set in the cloud; and I will look upon it,
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about At the Foot of the Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Foot of the Rainbow

Lindy
Jul 08, 2016 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost put this book down. I never put a book down unread so that is saying something. I am really glad I kept reading.

This book begins with Jimmy who has a thick Scottish accent that is hard to read. The first two maybe three chapters were unbearably long. While the accent stays, the dialogue thins, and the narrator helps make the book comprehendible. The story is a beautiful one of true manhood and preserverence. I felt such and aching for Dannie and Mary that it was a physical tightness in
Juergen John Roscher
I read At the Foot of the Rainbow because I have enjoyed other Stratton-Porter’s books such as Laddie and Freckles. My mother introduced me to Stratton-Porter many years ago when she asked me to find her a copy of Freckles because she loved the story in her childhood. I bought her an old copy of the book on eBay that I gave to her as a gift. Ever since then, I have always bought any Stratton-Porter book I find at a used bookstore.

At the Foot of the Rainbow is about two close friends that love t
Mitzi
May 20, 2016 Mitzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-novels
This one was hard to get into, but I am glad I stuck with it. You have to get used to the dialect of the characters, and it takes a little while... Once you do the story really starts to unfold, and it's pretty crazy. Basically it is about a co-dependent relationship between two men (friends, but more like brothers) and one woman. GSP really delves deep into the dynamics and underlying feelings involved in this triangle, in a way that I found to be authentically HUMAN. And the moral of the story ...more
Hailey White
May 12, 2016 Hailey White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
I appreciate the honest of this story, as well as the ending. Although I found myself wanting the ending to unfold differently initially, I grew to understand the humanness of it. Very thought provoking. I will definitely read it again.
Eileen
Mar 31, 2010 Eileen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Long, slow tragedy. If these people would just communicate they would have no problems.
Karen
May 26, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom
Oh what a trial this book was for me! This is one of my favorite authors and I was so excited to read another book from her but when I got into this one it was such a chore to get through the slang/writing style of the words. I absolutely loved the ending and the plot of the book was great. Friendship/love/self-sacrifice/betrayal if only the slang of the words were taken out this book I would have rated it 5 stars..krb 5/26/16
Naomi Brignola-van calster
Kind of sad and frustrating but also sweet. I liked the Irish accent and the way Dannie is a true and loyal friend. Also the ending: just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it. Still, I wouldn't read it again. Too frustrating and sad ;)
Roweena Rickman
Aug 14, 2015 Roweena Rickman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I found the story and characters entertaining. an 1800's love triangle. A secret is involved that the reader knows but not all of the characters know. A happy ending.
Shelby Loren
I have read several of the authors works, and have liked them all. However, this one title was difficult for me to finish... The storyline is very slow, and made (for me) interesting reading. It took me forever to finish this book and I found myself finishing it in segments, between which I would read other books, which I never do. I stuck it out to the end though, and I am glad I did. The ending was good, but not quite enough to justify sitting through the tediousness of the rest of the novel. ...more
Pamela Joy Martin
Wonderful love story

love all her books this one the dialect takes getting used to . the charActers of Danny is such to be rare on this earth
Jaime
Apr 25, 2013 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore everything Mrs. Porter wrote! The thick Scottish was hard to read at first but you soon begin to flow with it.
It was a little slow starting for me, I even nearly quit it (like I had years before in my teens), but near the end I couldn't put it down! I adore the beauty Mrs. Porter describes for us and how we always get our happy ending!
Graceann
Nov 27, 2007 Graceann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Good Novels
I didn't like this particular book as much as I have other Gene Stratton-Porter novels. It wasn't resolved to my satisfaction and I think it had rather a cynical viewpoint. Gene always wrote well, though, so even though I didn't care for the story, I'm glad I read the book.
Rachel
Feb 25, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I finished it, but this one was just too much for me. Like Steinbech with a happy ending?--which makes it nothing like Steinbech! =) The only redeeming quality was the lone, perfectly selfless man, who was too clueless for his own, or anyone else's, good.
Kellyn Roth
Though definitely not my favorite, a definitely worthwhile read. Read my more detailed review here.
~Kellyn rotR
Rachel
May 15, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the little biography at the beginning of this book about Gene Stratton-Porter more than the story itself but the story is also enjoyable. Not one of my favorites of Porter's but still, a good read.
Traci
Jul 03, 2009 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Gene Stratton Porter and have read most of her works. This one was heavy on the drama, but I liked it. I love how Porter portrays powerfully good characters who have incredible integrity.
Danni
Apr 06, 2012 Danni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it had my name in it. That never happens. Through out the book I also saw peices of poetry. That was also very cool. It didn't have much of a plot though.
faithful
Oct 24, 2009 faithful rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting storyline and full of warmth. Written with colloquialisms and a dialect so it takes a bit to get into it but well worth the effort. August book club choice
Judy
Jun 09, 2016 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read Girl of the Limberlost several times and found it thoroughly enjoyable, but this one ... not so much. The writing is verbose and sentimental.
Patti Quiring
Yet another book read from INDIANA's own, Gene Stratton Porter. My goal is to read them all since they are considered INDIANA classics.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Definately not one of her best. It does show she didn't view all human relations through rose tinted glasses.
Suzanna
Dec 15, 2008 Suzanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book from on of my favorite Indiana authors.
Wish I could remember who I loan this one to.
K.
Jan 31, 2008 K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I didn't like a Gene Stratton-Porter. This was not very good.
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Michael Perlch
Michael Perlch rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Melinda Gray
Melinda Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Robyn Bray
Robyn Bray marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
At the Foot of the Rainbow 1 2 Mar 05, 2013 05:45PM
  • With Lee in Virginia
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • The River Road
  • Soul Flame
  • Cinnabar: The One O'Clock Fox
  • A Garland for Girls
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • Piggins
  • The Realm of Last Chances
  • The Museum of Dr. Moses: Tales of Mystery and Suspense
She was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some of the best selling novels and well-received columns in magazines of the day.

Born Geneva Grace Stratton in Wabash County, Indiana, she married Charles D. Porter in 1886, and they had one daughter, Jeannette.

She became a wildlife photogra
More about Gene Stratton-Porter...

“To my way of thinking and working the greatest service a piece of fiction can do any reader is to leave him with a higher ideal of life than he had when he began. If in one small degree it shows him where he can be a gentler, saner, cleaner, kindlier man, it is a wonder-working book. If it opens his eyes to one beauty in nature he never saw for himself, and leads him one step toward the God of the Universe, it is a beneficial book, for one step into the miracles of nature leads to that long walk, the glories of which so strengthen even a boy who thinks he is dying, that he faces his struggle like a gladiator.” 1 likes
“Such a big majority of book critics and authors have begun to teach, whether they really believe it or not, that no book is TRUE TO LIFE unless it is true to the WORST IN LIFE, that the idea has infected even the women.” 1 likes