Start by marking “At the Foot of the Rainbow” as Want to Read:
At the Foot of the Rainbow

At the Foot of the Rainbow

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  17 reviews thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. "And the bow shall be set in the cloud; and I will look upon it,
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about At the Foot of the Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Foot of the Rainbow

I almost put this book down. I never put a book down unread so that is saying something. I am really glad I kept reading.

This book begins with Jimmy who has a think Scottish accent that is hard to read. The first two maybe three chapters were unbearably long. While the accent stays at least the dialogue thins and the narrator helps make the book comprehendible. The story is a beautiful one of true manhood and preserverence. I felt such and aching for Dannie and Mary that it was a physical tightn
Juergen John Roscher
I read At the Foot of the Rainbow because I have enjoyed other Stratton-Porter’s books such as Laddie and Freckles. My mother introduced me to Stratton-Porter many years ago when she asked me to find her a copy of Freckles because she loved the story in her childhood. I bought her an old copy of the book on eBay that I gave to her as a gift. Ever since then, I have always bought any Stratton-Porter book I find at a used bookstore.

At the Foot of the Rainbow is about two close friends that love t
Long, slow tragedy. If these people would just communicate they would have no problems.
Roweena Rickman
Very good book. I found the story and characters entertaining. an 1800's love triangle. A secret is involved that the reader knows but not all of the characters know. A happy ending.
Shelby Loren
I have read several of the authors works, and have liked them all. However, this one title was difficult for me to finish... The storyline is very slow, and made (for me) interesting reading. It took me forever to finish this book and I found myself finishing it in segments, between which I would read other books, which I never do. I stuck it out to the end though, and I am glad I did. The ending was good, but not quite enough to justify sitting through the tediousness of the rest of the novel. ...more
I've read Girl of the Limberlost several times and found it thoroughly enjoyable, but this one ... not so much.
Pamela Joy Martin
Wonderful love story

love all her books this one the dialect takes getting used to . the charActers of Danny is such to be rare on this earth
I adore everything Mrs. Porter wrote! The thick Scottish was hard to read at first but you soon begin to flow with it.
It was a little slow starting for me, I even nearly quit it (like I had years before in my teens), but near the end I couldn't put it down! I adore the beauty Mrs. Porter describes for us and how we always get our happy ending!
Nov 27, 2007 Graceann rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Good Novels
I didn't like this particular book as much as I have other Gene Stratton-Porter novels. It wasn't resolved to my satisfaction and I think it had rather a cynical viewpoint. Gene always wrote well, though, so even though I didn't care for the story, I'm glad I read the book.
I finished it, but this one was just too much for me. Like Steinbech with a happy ending?--which makes it nothing like Steinbech! =) The only redeeming quality was the lone, perfectly selfless man, who was too clueless for his own, or anyone else's, good.
I love Gene Stratton Porter and have read most of her works. This one was heavy on the drama, but I liked it. I love how Porter portrays powerfully good characters who have incredible integrity.
I liked this book because it had my name in it. That never happens. Through out the book I also saw peices of poetry. That was also very cool. It didn't have much of a plot though.
Interesting storyline and full of warmth. Written with colloquialisms and a dialect so it takes a bit to get into it but well worth the effort. August book club choice
Patti Quiring
Yet another book read from INDIANA's own, Gene Stratton Porter. My goal is to read them all since they are considered INDIANA classics.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Definately not one of her best. It does show she didn't view all human relations through rose tinted glasses.
A wonderful book from on of my favorite Indiana authors.
Wish I could remember who I loan this one to.
Can't believe I didn't like a Gene Stratton-Porter. This was not very good.
Lanae marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Kansas Beaderina
Kansas Beaderina marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Carmie marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Sharon Randolph
Sharon Randolph marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Emma Ramsey
Emma Ramsey marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Monica is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2015
Angie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
  • The Adventures of Jerry Muskrat
  • The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne
  • The Shuttle
  • Aisling of Eire
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • Long for This World: A Novel
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • Soul Flame
  • Mr. Midshipman Easy
  • Under the Lilacs
  • Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio
  • The Dean's Watch
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • The Gold Shoe
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
She was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some of the best selling novels and well-received columns in magazines of the day.

Born Geneva Grace Stratton in Wabash County, Indiana, she married Charles D. Porter in 1886, and they had one daughter, Jeannette.

She became a wildlife photogra
More about Gene Stratton-Porter...