Blank-133x176
In Defense of Globaliz...

Jagdish N. Bhagwati

In Defense of Globalization

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the passionate debate that currently rages over globalization, critics have been heard blaming it for a host of ills afflicting poorer nations, everything from child labor to environmental degradation and cultural homogenization. Now Jagdish Bhagwati, the internationally renowned economist, takes on the critics, revealing that globalization, when properly governed, is i...more
Published July 27th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about In Defense of Globalization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Defense of Globalization

Sara
Defending asymmetry?

[Through my ratings, reviews and edits I'm providing intellectual property and labor to Amazon.com Inc., listed on Nasdaq, which fully owns Goodreads.com and in 2013 posted revenues for $74 billion and $274 million profits. Intellectual property and labor require compensation. Amazon.com Inc. is also requested to provide assurance that its employees and contractors' work conditions meet the highest health and safety standars at all the company's sites.]

The author advocate...more
Nuni
without knowing what Bhagwati tries to say through this book, I jumped to a chapter where the following are discussed:

"of course such a self-interest has to be plausible. too often, US proponents of aid to poor countries have tried to hide the altruism and sought to justify aid flows on ground of enlightened self interest, arguing that it is that good not for our souls but really for our material well-being" [p.226 on appropriate governance, an overview:]

what drag my interest here is when Bhagw...more
M.J.
Originally read for a class in International Aspects of Economic Development.

As the title suggests, Bhagwati's aim is to defend the march of globalisation against its detractors. Just as the interest groups that protest at WTO meetings seemed varied and with disjointed aims (sharing little in common except a distrust for the internationalisation of trade and its spillover effects) so too is Bhagwati's book. It is a book without focus and I believe that ultimately hinders the author's ability to...more
§--
I actually forgot that I read this book. I remembered when I found in one of my dozens of notebooks pages of thorough notes on it. I remember this book being an eye-opener, one that helped wake me from my liberal slumbers, from my idealism. It, along with a handful of others, completely changed my understanding of economics. This literally changed my life.

Looking at the cover, I remember looking at the book before opening it with serious skepticism. And that was why I wanted to read it so badly...more
Antonia
For someone who comes across as a vehement advocate of free trade, I found some of Bhagwati's suggestions regarding modifications, useful forms of oversight, and important aspects of social responsibility to be surprisingly cognizant of problems that can arise because of free trade, especially given the influence of rich nations such as the United States (which throws its weight around in many ways, e.g., preventing its own accountability in terms of failing to sign the Kyoto treaty, allowing re...more
Marc
Bhagwati delivers a rather uninspiring entry into the globalization debate. I only read this book, because I got it on the cheap and felt like it is getting too dated, if I don't soon pick it up.

Well, Bhagwati surely is a seasoned and competent economist, but he feels comfortable testing his skills against straw man-arguments, writing in a somewhat polemic tone when discussing critics and recounts several personal anecdotes that rather that serving his curse make him seem like an uppity snob. B...more
Jonathan
Bhagwati is making important points and he deserves to be heard, especially in the face of those on the more Manichean left who can only think of international economics in terms adapted to discuss geopolitics from the middle of the last century. It's a pity that he isn't a writer who naturally endears himself to the audience. His natural tone here is that of a curmudgeonly old man yelling "get off my lawn!"
Mk Tantum
May 18, 2013 Mk Tantum rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: critics and proponents of free market capitalism
I read this book as part of academic research, but I couldn't put it down. Bhagwati is intelligent, and his stance is unique once you learn about his family's background. He's not a White House economist preaching the marvels and miracles of free market economics, but he does make some valid arguments and examples of the successes of globalization in the past century.

One thing I was disturbed by was his loose definition of "globalization." The term was coined by Friedman, and his definition leav...more
Kacey
This book provides a great overview to the criticisms of globalization, using solid statistical studies as evidence. Additionally, this book provides great examples of how policy changes can be used to further the good of globalization. However, it functions more as a book of distinct separate chapters than one greater argument for the benefits of globalization. There is no thread connecting each piece other than that each issue involves some analysis of globalization.
Ethan Cramer-Flood
This is a major work by a major figure in my field, so it's almost required reading. Meh. I guess it was OK. I'd have given a 2.5 if it were an option. Had I not been intensively studying this stuff for the past 2 years, it probably would have been more compelling and interesting. I appreciated his eloquence and wit, but there wasn't much new in here. I agree with his premise in general, but disagree with some of his hard line specifics.
Jason
Bhagwati presents his bias in the title of the book, however, he gives a strong, data-driven argument in favor of globalization. For one looking to understand the side of the pro-globalizer, this book offers a good overview of the complaints that critics of globalization voice and the reasons that Bhagwati feels globalization is beneficial for economic growth.
James
This is a great book on globalization, non-government organizations, and in particular the East Asian financial crisis of the 1990's. I would recommend reading it tandem with Joseph Stiglitz's "Globalization and It's Discontents." Both give differing views and musings on the past, current, and future make-up and issues of international financial institutions.
Rachel
This book is great! a real eyeopening look at globalization, what we know and don't know. Granted the author is a bit biased towards multinational corporations, but he is also very knowledgable and informative. I will never look at the issue, in the good sense and the bad, in the same way again.
Marts  (Thinker)
Sep 09, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as sounds-interesting  ·  review of another edition
Amazon's website gives some interesting reviews on this title: http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Globali...

It can also be read at Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=jW_m...
Brice
Aug 13, 2007 Brice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in money, politics or...well, the world
This was a terrific Globalization primer. Read this one along with "Globalization and Its Discontents" by Joseph Stiglitz and you'll impress all those friends who think drinking merlot is for the uninformed. Seriously, it's a good book.
Anil Swarup
Bhagwati has always been an advocate of globalization. This book provides an added flavour in the context of a response to "Globalization and its Discontents" by Stiglitz. The debate is a riveting one.
Linda
EXCELLENT book. This is one of my favorite economists and his opinions and views of world economics and the workings of globalization are truly that which I believe.
Alicia
He didn't say or argue anything that I didn't already know or hadn't heard before. If you didn't major in econ, this may be interesting.
Daisy
Apr 08, 2007 Daisy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karla
Yeah, I hated this book. The author is just an ass that I want to meet him just so that I can make him eat his own damn book.
Anna
A so called masterpiece built on naive, simplistic, outdated economic theories.
Ryan
Still haven't finished, but I'm pretty sure this book is awesome.
Balint Erdi
Some good points but sometimes his explanations are feeble.
Andrew
Way too dense, impossible to read, could not finish.
Vikrant Dadawala
potty time reading for busy businessmen
Dimitribazos
Dimitribazos marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kael O'sullivan
Kael O'sullivan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Hlmencken
Hlmencken marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • Why Globalization Works
  • The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics
  • Pop Internationalism
  • Portfolios of the Poor: How the World's Poor Live on $2 a Day
  • More Than Good Intentions: How a New Economics Is Helping to Solve Global Poverty
  • The Commanding Heights : The Battle for the World Economy
  • Globalization and Its Discontents
  • A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World
  • International Relations
  • Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy
  • The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth, Stagflation, and Social Rigidities
  • The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor
  • Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits
  • The Future of Power
Jagdish Natwarlal Bhagwati (born July 26, 1934) is an Indian American economist and professor of economics and law at Columbia University. He is well known for his research in international trade and for his advocacy of free trade.
More about Jagdish N. Bhagwati...
Why Growth Matters: How Economic Growth in India Reduced Poverty and the Lessons for Other Developing Countries Termites in the Trading System: How Preferential Agreements Undermine Free Trade Free Trade Today Protectionism Sustaining India's Growth Miracle