Hardy Boys 06: The Shore Road Mystery: The Shore Road Mystery

Hardy Boys 06: The Shore Road Mystery: The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys #6)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,298 ratings  ·  54 reviews
When the Hardy Boys eagerly agree to assist their friend Jack Dodd and his father in locating a family treasure, the two young detectives are unaware of the baffling complications that will arise.
Published September 1st 1928 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Hardy Boys 06, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardy Boys 06

Kristine Pratt
I just want to go on the record as saying that if the Hardy Boys were actually hit on the head and knocked unconscious just the number of times they are in this book, they would have significant brain damage. Seriously.

This one was extremely twisty - I didn't put together all of it until the end myself. A fun read so long as you don't take it too seriously.
John Yelverton
The duo detectives are off to find hidden treasure in this addition to the book series.
Greg
The Hardy Boys have more traumatic things befall them in one chapter of their books than most real detectives have happen to them in their entire careers. In this book they are knocked out by gas, nearly die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, have two motorcycle crashes, are almost crushed by a falling station wagon, help a friend keep his sabotaged boat from sinking, nearly have their boat sabotaged, rescue a girlfriend from drowning who is trapped in a fishing net, are nearly mowed down by a combin...more
Diane
Jun 05, 2009 Diane is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are 3/4 of the way through, and the Hardy's have been gassed once, almost poisoned by carbon monoxide, nearly run over by a station wagon, nearly decapitated by a wire strung up across the paths of their motorcycles, knocked out twice, nearly run over by a combine, and nearly drowned. I can't understand why Fenton still encourages his boys to be in this business, and why does Mrs. Hardy and Aunt Gertrude just smile and bake cakes? They must be on a combination of welbutrin and valium.
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Dan Kelly
Frank and Joe Hardy, and their chunky brother from another mother Chet Morton, combine forces to battle a gang of nefarious car thieves/arms dealers, who also take time to kidnap the Hardy's standard rube friends and search for Pilgrim Pirate treasure. Have the Hardys met their match? One would hope. The gang seems to be not only utterly ruthless and heavily funded, but also possessed of as much leisure time as the boys Hardy.

The usual battles with evil fishermen, wicked farmers, and cruel tram...more
Brenda
When friends of the Hardy's get accused of stealing cars, not only to the Hardy boys get a new case, but their dad puts up the bail for them. Now they have to prove their innocence, with the town mad at them for "helping thieves". It doesn't look good when the friends disappear either, so did they jump bail or did something else happen? Great read!
Andrew
This book is about two brothers, Frank and Joe Hardy. They are in high school. Their Dad is a famous detective and some times they help him with his cases. But most of the time they solve their own mysteries with their friend Chet Mortin. This story is told in a third person perspective. In this book, they solve a case of missing cars.

I thought this is a old, but great book. I thought the book was exciting and that it got intense when they were in a plane with their plane and got shot at by by a...more
Andrew

Tattushenoi
I am an avid reader of Hardy Boys since I was, well as far as I can remember. I still remember crying when in Delhi during a vacation to get a copy ;P, when along with my cousins I was just strolling around outside.

So I decided to give this a go just to relax a bit. the story starts with a friend,Jack, of Hardy Boys asking them to help out in a family mystery to find a treasure. Meantime cars are being stolen in Bayport and interestingly the evidence is pointing to Jack and his father. the sudd...more
Darcy Stewart
I really enjoyed this Hardy Boy book. Although I did feel like it lacked something. I didn't think there quite enough adventure. I was a just a little disappointed. Not a whole lot took place. Although I did really like how they chasing car thieves. And they solved Jack's mystery. Interesting how these boys are always there to save the day. They get bad notes and some sabotage. They do get kidnapped and have to wiggle themselves out. I always like to see them struggle.The suspense was okay. but...more
Joy Gerbode
Another good mystery with the Hardy Boys ... nothing fantastic, but a good and easy read.
Peter Sprunger
As far as Hardy Boys books go, this one is not one of the better ones because of the writing quality and lack of story development. The story plods along with the bulk of the car-theft plan explained at the end of the story by the bad guys. Evolutions explained in the story often take place in one-two sentences giving the story a discrete, jumpy feeling.
B&L
It is about two boys and the father who are detectives .The best part was when they solved the mystery.
Bryan
I'd really like to read the original to compare...

I read the rewritten version (circa 1960), and I've been told that it's completely different from the original (circa 1930).

Anyways, this was the first book where they really tried to give Chet his own personality.

Not the best Hardy Boys mystery, but certainly not the worst.
Ryan
Three stars for my 8-yr-old who really likes it and for the Hardy Boys crime lab I always wanted above their garage with disguises and stuff on the walls. The first I've read again to see if memory serves me from childhood, and yes, someone does get punched in the "solar-plexus." It gave me a kind of comfort.
Samir
This is book didn't teach me much but you don't always have to read a book and expect a life lesson. I didn't and it was an awesome book. The Hardy boys risk their lives to solve another crime by hiding in the trunk of a Lincoln town car to bust car thieves and a foreign arms dealer. It' full of action.
Deborah
Maybe I would've liked this if I were still nine years old. I realize this is a kids' book anyway, but the dialogue was so typical of a 1950's sitcom that I died inside a little bit. But hey, at least now I can say I've read a Hardy Boys book. (Even if it wasn't an original edition.)
Will
It was funny because Chet kept eating the cake.
Laryn
Standard Hardy Boys fare. The version I read was the original, before the later edits that made them more politically correct. So they read a bit more like a dime store detective book than the later morality lessons for boys that the edited versions became.
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys, Frank and Joe, are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their father's footsteps.
Christian
This is my favorite book out of them all, so far. I think it is awesome how the Hardy Boys buy a limousine. I like the spider net thing too. And the treasure they found. Jenna A., have you read this book?
Wahyu Nurasman
3,5 stars

seru. tapi kurang greget dibanding buku sebelumnya. tapi saya suka endingnya ketika Fenton muncul disini penasaran saja sama bapak yang anak-anaknya jadi detektif...hohohoho
Caryn
Strange things are happening in the town and only two boys and their friends can solve the mystery... the Hardy Boys!

I love this book! It is written very creatively!
Darryl Cole
I have read most of this series over the years. These were the books that first got me interested in mysteries, and I've never read a book from this series that i haven't liked.
Eli
I think this book is cool because they work as a team and never give up on there cases.The boys in this book try to help out.They never argue eather.
Sharon
You gotta love a book in which the character has a jalopy. I'm pretty sure I read these before they were re-written. I loved all the little dated details.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)