Start by marking “Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery” as Want to Read:
Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery

Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery (Brodie Farrell #8)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  11 reviews
“Bannister is one of the undersung treasures of the mystery genre.” ---Chicago Tribune

Although she has been trying to put her work, running a one-woman detective agency, on hold while she cares for her new baby, Jonathan, Brodie soon learns that taking time off is not as easy as it sounds. Not only does Jonathan have a rare disease that may leave him blind, his father, De
Published August 5th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Closer Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closer Still

Karen
Jo Bannister has an impressive back catalogue to her name with over 20 novels now, standalones and in a number of series groupings. CLOSER STILL is the 8th Brodie Farrell book, released in 2008 with LIARS ALL the next in the series, released in 2009.

It's probably worth getting this out in the open up front. I'm not a fan of Brodie Farrell, and that's not just because she's one of those "gifted" amateurs who seem to climb over the backs of the cops. In particular, her "partner" Jack Deacon who se
Scotchneat
I don't think I've read the other Brodie Farrell books, so this story is kind of in medias res for me. Basically, Brodie is a single mom and PI who is trying to take time off work to care for her son, who has a congenital disease.

The baby daddy is implicated in a murder of a local tough--Joe Loomis--so she is out in the field trying to prove his innocence.

Usually, I like the British mysteries for their attention to character, and this one has some moments, but I didn't really get the relationsh
Phyllis
I really like the Jo Bannister books but this one I liked least. A man is stabbed in town and makes
his way to Bodie's office where he dies saying a word that begins with the letter D. A great search is begun with people who have names beginning with D. Terrorism and drugs enter the plot as well as
a woman who had been involved with the murder victim. A lot of people are terrified and leave town
causing traffic jams in all directions. The fear of a bomb being exploded in the center of town
and the
Jamie
I enjoyed reading this book, as I have the enjoyed the other few Jo Bannister mysteries I have picked up. It was easy to believe the panic that her town is thrown into under the threat of a terrorist attack, and to understand why the townspeople acted as they did. A good read, though not my favorite of her mysteries so far.
Joyce
A tale of murder, terrorists, bombs and a baby with serious health problems all set in a small English town. How can you not get wrapped up in this? I actually spent more time reading this than I have with much of anything lately because of a busy schedule. That alone says a lot!
Linda
I always enjoy reading the Brodie Farrell mysteries. I have to admit though that this was quite easier to put down then others. Sometimes thats a good thing though if you're busy. Of course, I always like series books.
Joyce
I enjoy all of the Brodie Farrell mysteries, although I sometimes get annoyed with the main character's self-centered attitude. The plots are usually interesting and I like the supporting characters.
Stacy
I was disappointed. Originally, I really liked the Brodie Farrell books, but they've become very repetitive. The author will not stop harping on the tragic love triangle. Overall, quite heavy-handed.
Monica
not liking brodie so far.
not one of bannister's best.
Jane
Great mystery reading.
Ashley Greig
Ashley Greig marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Vicky Beltz
Vicky Beltz marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Janie B.
Janie B. marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Robin
Robin added it
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...
Deadly Virtues Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1) Death in High Places True Witness (Brodie Farrell, #2) Liars All