Start by marking “Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery” as Want to Read:
Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery

Closer Still: A Brodie Farrell Mystery (Brodie Farrell #8)

"Bannister is one of the undersung treasures of the mystery genre." ---Chicago Tribune

Although she has been trying to put her work, running a one-woman detective agency, on hold while she cares for her new baby, Jonathan, Brodie soon learns that taking time off is not as easy as it sounds. Not only does Jonathan have a rare disease that may leave him blind, his father, Det
Published August 5th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Closer Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closer Still

NovelBlogLover
Brodie Farrell, owner of the Looking for Something? detective agency, and her choleric ex-lover, Det. Supt. Jack Deacon, compete once more to catch a killer whose crime has wildly unintended consequences.

Brodie has been caring for her newborn, Jonathan, who has a rare eye disease that could cause blindness. In the meantime, her good friend Daniel Hood has been running her detective agency, but Brodie is eager to return to work. And Jonathan’s father, Detective Superintendent Jack Deacon, is doin
Karen
Jo Bannister has an impressive back catalogue to her name with over 20 novels now, standalones and in a number of series groupings. CLOSER STILL is the 8th Brodie Farrell book, released in 2008 with LIARS ALL the next in the series, released in 2009.

It's probably worth getting this out in the open up front. I'm not a fan of Brodie Farrell, and that's not just because she's one of those "gifted" amateurs who seem to climb over the backs of the cops. In particular, her "partner" Jack Deacon who se
Scotchneat
Sep 06, 2009 Scotchneat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I don't think I've read the other Brodie Farrell books, so this story is kind of in medias res for me. Basically, Brodie is a single mom and PI who is trying to take time off work to care for her son, who has a congenital disease.

The baby daddy is implicated in a murder of a local tough--Joe Loomis--so she is out in the field trying to prove his innocence.

Usually, I like the British mysteries for their attention to character, and this one has some moments, but I didn't really get the relationsh
Phyllis
I really like the Jo Bannister books but this one I liked least. A man is stabbed in town and makes
his way to Bodie's office where he dies saying a word that begins with the letter D. A great search is begun with people who have names beginning with D. Terrorism and drugs enter the plot as well as
a woman who had been involved with the murder victim. A lot of people are terrified and leave town
causing traffic jams in all directions. The fear of a bomb being exploded in the center of town
and the
Gary Van Cott
As much as I like this series, I thought this book has the weakest plot. Some of the characters behaved very illogically and I don't think this can be justified by a neat explanation.
Karen
Jul 19, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Drug out too long. Dry British literature.
Jamie
Apr 29, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, as I have the enjoyed the other few Jo Bannister mysteries I have picked up. It was easy to believe the panic that her town is thrown into under the threat of a terrorist attack, and to understand why the townspeople acted as they did. A good read, though not my favorite of her mysteries so far.
Joyce
Dec 04, 2008 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale of murder, terrorists, bombs and a baby with serious health problems all set in a small English town. How can you not get wrapped up in this? I actually spent more time reading this than I have with much of anything lately because of a busy schedule. That alone says a lot!
Linda
Oct 06, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading the Brodie Farrell mysteries. I have to admit though that this was quite easier to put down then others. Sometimes thats a good thing though if you're busy. Of course, I always like series books.
Joyce
Jul 10, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all of the Brodie Farrell mysteries, although I sometimes get annoyed with the main character's self-centered attitude. The plots are usually interesting and I like the supporting characters.
Stacy
Aug 28, 2008 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. Originally, I really liked the Brodie Farrell books, but they've become very repetitive. The author will not stop harping on the tragic love triangle. Overall, quite heavy-handed.
Monica
Dec 19, 2008 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not liking brodie so far.
not one of bannister's best.
Jane
Aug 08, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery reading.
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Staci
Staci rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
May 31, 2016
Mamatufy
Mamatufy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Noreen
Noreen added it
Aug 07, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Dr. M.A. Manuel
Dr. M.A. Manuel rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Cheri Rasmussen
Cheri Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Susan Robishaw
Susan Robishaw rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...

Brodie Farrell (9 books)
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • True Witness (Brodie Farrell, #2)
  • Reflections (Brodie Farrell #3)
  • The Depths of Solitude (Brodie Farrell #4)
  • Breaking Faith (Brodie Farrell #5)
  • Requiem for a Dealer (Brodie Farrell #6)
  • Flawed (Brodie Farrell #7)
  • Liars All (Brodie Farrell #9)