Start by marking “The God of All Comfort” as Want to Read:
The God of All Comfort

The God of All Comfort

Don't live in doubt and despair. Everything Christ promised-an abundant life and victory over sin-is available to you today! Colorful anecdotes illuminate every page, clarifying the book's vital message.
Published June 1st 1953 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The God of All Comfort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God of All Comfort

Jan 02, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jesus, vt-2016
This is one of the best "practical theology" books I have read in a long parts. There were a few chapters that caused this to not be a 5-star book - the chapter on self-examination, for example - but there were other chapters that were positively life-changing. In short, what Mrs. Smith does is hold out the dual truths of the sufficiency of God and the ability of the believer to trust in that sufficiency.
Whether one feels like Jesus is enough does not alter His character, and those fe
K.M. Weiland
Feb 01, 2013 K.M. Weiland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do we find a treatise on life and Christianity from a source that is both about as straight-shooting as they come and as sweetly encouraging. Smith tells like it is and cuts through the sentimentality and the cliches that are often pushed upon struggling Christians. Instead, she offers unvarnished truth in a way that is always inspiring and never judgmental. One of the best "Christian living" books I've read.
Oct 08, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another wonderful book by Miss Smith. She has a wonderful way of looking at life's crisis with an all powerful, all knowing, all caring God in mind. It is comforting and will help the Christian to look at life's struggles a little differently. A fabulous book that I would love to give to all my christian friends.
Nov 02, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for Christians only. Those who are not saved, need to trust in Christ for salvation before they can benefit from this book. Much Scripture is used, however, no Scripture references are used. It is good teaching but very poor in retrieval for later use. There is no subject or topic index of any kind.
Jan 02, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Who wouldn't want to read about the secret of this abundant life and victory over defeat?! I'm not sure where this book came from, other than Divine intervention. I look forward to taking the time to read this one!
Sally Ferguson
Nov 04, 2013 Sally Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am fascinated by Hannah Whitall Smith. In The God of All Comfort, she says the many names of God explain who He is. "They reveal some of His special characteristics... These names were discovered by God's people in times of sore need." (p. 79)
If I am to find purpose in suffering, then it would be in discovering more about God's ability to meet me at my point of need. Struggles will never be won in my own power. Creative break-throughs will never come because of my own genius. Only as I rely o
Kate Hooper
Jul 12, 2016 Kate Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been life-changing for me. She presents simple yet profound truths about the Christian life that ultimately remind us God is enough and our soul can rest in Him alone. This will be a book I return to time and time again. It's worth reading every year.
Nov 03, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Direct and simple, cuts through all your experiences, circumstances, beliefs. Love her straight forward writing style. Incredible book for all stages of Christian walk. I've had a relationship with Jesus for over 30 years and it was so refreshing to read truths again that cut right through all the junk I've let seep in to my beliefs of Him. This was written exactly for me! I highly recommend for all!!!!!
Excellent book encouraging Christians to keep their eyes fixed on God, not on themselves. She uses very practical examples to exhort and encourage faith. Knowing God is of paramount importance, so that we can live in light of who He is and what that means to us. I was convicted by her reminder that God is bigger than any of our circumstances, and to doubt Him or to worry is to deny His sovereignty and His love.
Feb 25, 2013 Lynda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-life, god
This is an o.k. book, but I had a hard time getting interested in it as a whole. There were some good statements but it is slow. After reading Andrew Murray, Ellen White, Oswald Chambers, H.M.S. Richards, etc., this was just not the meat that I was wanting. It is given 4 stars by most, and as I said, it is a good book. Check it out for yourself. She has some good thoughts about what a terrific God we have.
Dec 07, 2011 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful book! It addresses soooooooo many issues of our lives in such a practical way. My kind of women! I want to buy the book and read it again and take notes. I would love to teach what she has to share to others at next months small group session. I highly recommend it!:-)
Jun 08, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing blessing this book was! A keeper & one I will read again & again, trying to soak in the truths this godly Quaker woman so simply shares. 'Comfort & peace never come from anything we know about ourselves, but only & always from we know about Him.'
Maria Claudia
It is very difficult to talk about this book. It is just wonderful, not in a commom way. It touches a lot of stuff that trouble us in the christian life. She speaks clearly, deeply and simply. I'd give it a thousand stars, if I may. Highly recomended.
Jun 25, 2013 Gerhard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gerhard by: HJM
Shelves: christian
I tried my best but didn't even get half way. I don't know if it's her style or what it was about this book but it took me for ever just to get that far, so I decided to give it up.
Sep 02, 2014 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book about God's love and how we can respond to that love in healthy ways.
May 01, 2011 Summisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i go back to its pages time and time again.
Lots of good points.
Aug 17, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your love receptors are damaged, this is a must to dismantle your untruth with the truth of God and His love for you. She knows how to effectively articulate common misconceptions and faulty thinking on the human part that denies us receiving and believing God about Himself and about what He says about us. For those with broken lives, broken hearts, past failures and wounded by others, this is a journey of healing. You won't be the same after you're done.
Christa Hagler
Christa Hagler marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Mercy rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Kim Hopkins
Kim Hopkins rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Donna  Goings
Donna Goings marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Ruth is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Martha marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Jeremy Reynolds
Jeremy Reynolds rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Cathy Conley
Cathy Conley is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Veronica Nelson
Veronica Nelson is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2016
  • The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha
  • Keeping the Heart (Puritan Classics)
  • Hitler's Cross: The Revealing Story of How the Cross of Christ was Used as a symbol of  the Nazi Agenda
  • All God's Children and Blue Suede Shoes: Christians and Popular Culture
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Holiness Day by Day: Transformational Thoughts for Your Spiritual Journey
  • Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith
  • Daughter of China (Daughter of China #1)
  • The Plight of Man & the Power of God
  • Assumptions That Affect Our Lives: How Worldviews Determine Values That Influence Behavior and Shape Culture
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • The Great Omission: Fulfilling Christ's Commission Completely
  • Sermon on the Mount
  • Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And Eight Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt
Hannah Whitall Smith was a speaker and author in the Holiness movement in the United States and the Higher Life movement in the United Kingdom. She was also active in the Women's suffrage movement and the Temperance movement, helping found the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.
Hannah was no stranger to the difficulties of life. Although she had seven children in all, only three survived to adult
More about Hannah Whitall Smith...

“He who cares for the sparrows and numbers the hairs of our head, cannot possibly fail us.” 2 likes
“Christ came into the world to save sinners, not good people, and your unworthiness is your greatest claim for His salvation.” 2 likes