Start by marking “Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance” as Want to Read:
Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  10 reviews
At Leizer Bart’s funeral, one of the mourners told his son Michael that the gravestone should include a reference to the Freedom Fighters of Nekamah, to honor his late father’s involvement in the Jewish resistance movement in Vilna (now Vilnius), Lithuania, at the end of World War II. Michael had never heard his parents referenced as Freedom Fighters.

Following his father’s...more
Published May 13th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Until Our Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Our Last Breath

Ashley
I have read many Holocaust stories, but this one is one of the most touching. A love story and a story about courage, this book inspires and gives more meaning to life. Although disturbing at times (after all, is it possible to read about the Holocaust without being disturbed?), this is an important read. It is absolutely amazing what these people survived.
Jan
In America, we tend to hear a lot about the Nazi occupation of countries such as Poland, Hungary, and Austria during WWII, but very little about the occupation of the Baltic countries. This book is about the occupation of Lithuania, where an estimated 85% of the Jewish population was killed by the Nazis, and their conspirators, in approximately two years' time.

Michael Bart explores the story of his parents, who met and married in the Vilna ghetto. Lithuania had one of the most active resistance...more
Martha A.  Galvan
Beautiful Love Story.
But not about the lust or "honeymoon" stage. The Love story of 2 Jews in WWII, trying to survive and deciding instead of going to work camps, they escaped to help the underground. With a group of Jews and others against the Germans, they hid bombs on the rail roads to stop the Germans from entering cities.
Their love was for freedom and to survive. Starving and hurt they saw freedom and lived to survive.

This is another story of the Holocaust, how some people, this couple Leiz...more
Caroljenkins
Wonderful Story of the Partisian Resistance in WWll
Jodi
I entered to win this book--and didn't--but I still needed to check it out. Great book--very compelling and engrossing true story. It had one of the most unique queries of any Holocaust book I've ever read-and I read a lot of them: The Germans were asking themselves if only the strongest Jews were still alive in 1944/45--did this mean they had actually made the group stronger? When they reproduced would their children be getting only the genes of the strongest Jews-the ones the Nazis couldn't ki...more
Tammy
Great book! Focuses in not only the story, but the author's research. The author learns at his father's funeral that he participated in the resistance during WW2. His mother's health is failing, but the author enlists her memories to help him find out about his father and the resistance. Well written. A tear jerker in some places.
Melissa B
I received this book through Goodreads FirstReads

A whole new view of the Holocaust, through the eyes of those who experienced it through the Partisan Resistance in Lithuania. This book exposes the reader to a life of not knowing what would happen in the next few minutes: death camp, instant death, capture by Nazis, Russians, escape. Michael Barr has parents in whom he should take great pride.
Jonah
This is an interesting book that both tells the story of one couple- that met in the Vilna ghetto! - and also the story of what happened to Vilna's Jews during the holocaust. It made understanding the stories that I've heard before easier; this book tells a coherent story, not always easy with a history. And it tells both a big story and littler one.
Elaine Chew
Bravo!!! I admire everything that these two, and of course, all the other partisans, did to fight evil. I am so glad their son wrote this truly remarkable book, so that we all could share in their heroic courage! It is so important to have the survivors stories told.
Calley
People's courage and resilience during WW II fascinates me. BUT, that being said, don't read 12 of these books in a row! You will feel *slightly* depressed!
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jolie Glass
Jolie Glass marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Anna-christina
Anna-christina marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Lauran Vetuschi
Lauran Vetuschi marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Deborah Shaw
Deborah Shaw marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Mea
Mea marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Cristal
Cristal marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Rania
Rania marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Lauren Weinwurzel
Lauren Weinwurzel marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
  • Winds of Skilak
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • If I Only Knew...
  • The Plantation Series
  • An Unlikely Truth
  • Under the Spell of The Serenissima (The French Orphan, #3)
  • Revenge of the Wolf
  • Let the Tornado Come: A Memoir
  • Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport
  • Shears of Fate: A Novel of Memory and Madness
  • The Last Stratiote
  • Blue Courage (Battle for the Afterlife Saga #1-3)
1200824
Michael Bart tells of his parents' resistance in the Vilna ghetto and their experiences as members of the Partisans of Vilna in Abba Kovner's Avengers group. This is a powerful account of heroic Jewish partisans fighting back.

Winner of the 60th annual Christopher Award in the adult book category. For the past sixty years, this national award has been given in publishing, film, broadcast and cable...more
More about Michael Bart...