Start by marking “Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance” as Want to Read:
Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At Leizer Bart's funeral, one of the mourners told his son Michael that the gravestone should include a reference to the Freedom Fighters of Nekamah, to honor his late father's involvement in the Jewish resistance movement in Vilna (now Vilnius), Lithuania, at the end of World War II. Michael had never heard his parents referenced as Freedom Fighters.

Published May 13th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Until Our Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Our Last Breath

Ashley
Aug 26, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many Holocaust stories, but this one is one of the most touching. A love story and a story about courage, this book inspires and gives more meaning to life. Although disturbing at times (after all, is it possible to read about the Holocaust without being disturbed?), this is an important read. It is absolutely amazing what these people survived.
Tyler Kuykendall
At his father’s funeral Michael Bart is approached by a man who reveals to him a piece of information about his parents involvement with Jewish resistance group Freedom Fighters of Nekamah during the end of World War II. This kick start’s Michael’s research into his parent’s past and this book is the cumulation of that research with the help of writer Laurel Corona. This book tells of how Leizer and Zenia Bart (Michael’s parents) came to be in the Vilna Ghetto where they met and follows them thr ...more
Jan
Aug 03, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In America, we tend to hear a lot about the Nazi occupation of countries such as Poland, Hungary, and Austria during WWII, but very little about the occupation of the Baltic countries. This book is about the occupation of Lithuania, where an estimated 85% of the Jewish population was killed by the Nazis, and their conspirators, in approximately two years' time.

Michael Bart explores the story of his parents, who met and married in the Vilna ghetto. Lithuania had one of the most active resistance
Jenny GB
Feb 22, 2015 Jenny GB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a moving book. I'm going to need some more time to digest this one, but I literally could not put this down today and read the whole thing. It's very well written and personal which makes the story so emotional and immediate. It's incredible what people went through during WWII, especially the Jews. I know it's true, but it's always hard to believe people can fight back against and survive it given the horrors involved. The pictures were very helpful and again made the story so much mo ...more
Martha A.  Galvan
Mar 01, 2014 Martha A. Galvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Love Story.
But not about the lust or "honeymoon" stage. The Love story of 2 Jews in WWII, trying to survive and deciding instead of going to work camps, they escaped to help the underground. With a group of Jews and others against the Germans, they hid bombs on the rail roads to stop the Germans from entering cities.
Their love was for freedom and to survive. Starving and hurt they saw freedom and lived to survive.

This is another story of the Holocaust, how some people, this couple Leiz
Caroljenkins
Dec 17, 2010 Caroljenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Story of the Partisian Resistance in WWll
Jodi
Mar 20, 2014 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I entered to win this book--and didn't--but I still needed to check it out. Great book--very compelling and engrossing true story. It had one of the most unique queries of any Holocaust book I've ever read-and I read a lot of them: The Germans were asking themselves if only the strongest Jews were still alive in 1944/45--did this mean they had actually made the group stronger? When they reproduced would their children be getting only the genes of the strongest Jews-the ones the Nazis couldn't ki ...more
Tammy
Mar 25, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Focuses in not only the story, but the author's research. The author learns at his father's funeral that he participated in the resistance during WW2. His mother's health is failing, but the author enlists her memories to help him find out about his father and the resistance. Well written. A tear jerker in some places.
Melissa B
Mar 20, 2014 Melissa B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through Goodreads FirstReads

A whole new view of the Holocaust, through the eyes of those who experienced it through the Partisan Resistance in Lithuania. This book exposes the reader to a life of not knowing what would happen in the next few minutes: death camp, instant death, capture by Nazis, Russians, escape. Michael Barr has parents in whom he should take great pride.
Courtney Klein
Jul 04, 2015 Courtney Klein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An emotional journey of love and perseverance during a time of terror. I have read a few books regarding the Holocaust, but none as personal and touching as Until Our Last Breath. You can really capture the emotions and visualize what is happening. It makes you feel. I cried.

We lost the majority of my father's family during the Holocaust, and this was truly the first book that gave an idea of what they might have faced/felt on a deeper level then this is what happened; this is how many died.

Than
Jonah
This is an interesting book that both tells the story of one couple- that met in the Vilna ghetto! - and also the story of what happened to Vilna's Jews during the holocaust. It made understanding the stories that I've heard before easier; this book tells a coherent story, not always easy with a history. And it tells both a big story and littler one.
Elaine Chew
Jan 10, 2013 Elaine Chew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo!!! I admire everything that these two, and of course, all the other partisans, did to fight evil. I am so glad their son wrote this truly remarkable book, so that we all could share in their heroic courage! It is so important to have the survivors stories told.
Calley
Sep 12, 2011 Calley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People's courage and resilience during WW II fascinates me. BUT, that being said, don't read 12 of these books in a row! You will feel *slightly* depressed!
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Helén Madsen
Helén Madsen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Dawn Jones
Dawn Jones marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Hollis Finley
Hollis Finley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Joanne Conway
Joanne Conway rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
ANGELA WAYMAN
ANGELA WAYMAN rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2015
Amethyst Travis
Amethyst Travis marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
MoIra Rivas
MoIra Rivas marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Judy Brown
Judy Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Elijah
Elijah rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2015
Lee Anne
Lee Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Julia Borland
Julia Borland marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Triumph of Hope: From Theresienstadt and Auschwitz to Israel
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
  • Flory: Survival in the Valley of Death
  • The Informed Heart
  • The Life of Irene Nemirovsky: 1903-1942
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • Playing For Time
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • Kasztner's Train: The True Story of Rezso Kaztner, Unknown Hero of the Holocaust
  • Destined to Live:  A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust
  • The Search for Major Plagge: The Nazi Who Saved Jews
  • Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport
  • Isaac's Torah
  • Bitter Freedom: Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • Benevolence and Betrayal: Five Italian Jewish Families Under Fascism
  • An Exclusive Love: A Memoir
  • Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War
1200824
Michael Bart tells of his parents' resistance in the Vilna ghetto and their experiences as members of the Partisans of Vilna in Abba Kovner's Avengers group. This is a powerful account of heroic Jewish partisans fighting back.

Winner of the 60th annual Christopher Award in the adult book category. For the past sixty years, this national award has been given in publishing, film, broadcast and cable
More about Michael Bart...