Start by marking “The Masque Of The Red Death” as Want to Read:
The Masque Of The Red Death

The Masque Of The Red Death

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  14,230 ratings  ·  361 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1997 by Creative Education (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about The Masque Of The Red Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Masque Of The Red Death

Glenn Russell
I’ve always felt a strong connection to Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death, perhaps because I listen to loads of medieval music, perhaps because I enjoy the art and history and philosophy of that period, or, perhaps because I’ve always been drawn to literature dealing with issues of life and death. Whatever the reason, I love this tale. Here are my reflections on several themes:

The Reality – The tale’s Red Death sounds like the Black Death of 1349 where a family member could be perfectly healthy
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
In one of my Literature textbooks, this is the story the book chose to best set the example of how important setting can be to a story.

Poe's incredible talent in setting mood through the most miniscule of details is powerful as he establishes dread, irony, and a hefty infusion of Gothic feel by detailing the colors of a series of rooms and what they represent to the audience and characters. The symbolism of the clock is musical and alluring; the ominous clang and the dancers reactions, with its
Carol
Not even within the deep seclusion and iron gate security of Prince Prospero's Abbey (view spoiler)

Am loving reading POE!

Shanon (Escaping With Fiction)
This short story is hands down one of my favorite Poe stories! I love the symbolism and imagery in this tale. Basically, the "Red Death" is a plague that is wreaking havoc on the town in the story and Prince Prospero decides to lock himself, and many of his friends, away in his home. He ultimately ends up hosting a very grand masquerade party and while him and his people are lavishly partying it up within the confines of his sanctuary, everyone else is dying a terrible death. There are seven uni ...more
Thomas
A good short story with a fascinating setting. You have to read it a few times to ascertain any deeper meaning, though one read through would provide enjoyment too. Great for Halloween, and picking up the symbolism behind the deeper colors, the inclusion of sickness, various social classes, etc. made it fun to dissect in short story club. If you're searching for a scary yet thought-provoking piece, I'd highly recommend Masque of the Red Death.
Kristina
Without a doubt, this is my FAVORITE, FAVORITE, FAVORITE EAP short story. Oh my goodness all the symbolism, the creepy feelings, the gothic horror. Oh my! Do yourself a favor and read this! I found that I liked it even more because we read this in my freshman English class and so we broke it down to the most basic level and I was able to appreciate the writing so much more.
Ahmed Ibrahim
من افضل القصص القصيره اللى قرأتها واللى ممكن اقرأها
المعنى الحقيقى للعبقريه
Tammy
Deliciously creepy and atmospheric - Poe is an absolute master at creating an impending sense of doom right from the start; only to leave you feeling highly unsettled long after you've finished reading it.

I hope Bethany Griffin's Masque of Red Death will be as good!
Vane
Okay, I read this quite a long time ago, but when I read it, I honestly had no idea about what to write for a review, besides, it's too short, and it's always really difficult for me to write reviews for short stories.

Well, anyway, this story starts telling us there's a plague spreading and a prince locks himself and some other people in a castle while everyone else is left outside to die. In there, he throws parties and whatnot. There's a particular one that is a masquerade party. Where the par
Jason
I heard about this story while reading about The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. I don’t remember reading any Poe (I think I read a condensed version of The Fall of the House of Usher when I was younger), and even after learning of the climax, I decided to sit down and read it for myself. Fortunately I have my brother's hardcover mystery collection, and Masque of the Red Death is included in the Poe volume.

SUMMARY
At some point in history (or the future, or some other world), a terrible dis
Natalie
The "Red Death" had a long devestated the country. No pestilence had ever neen so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and its seal - the redness and the horror of blood.

When I read that first paragraph, I get chills, every time. I love this story. It's the only Poe short story that I have sought out and read several times. It is my favorite.

I've found that it's easier to write reviews for stories I dislike. It's very easy for me to identify elements that bother me, but much harder to iden
Kruti
So damn eerie and beautiful! On one hand, it's a simple story where guests at a party meet their ultimate demise but nothing's so simple when it comes to Poe.

His stories are painted so vividly and if you look past the simple plot, you'll notice the subtleties; you'll see the exquisite imagery and the symbolism. It's a powerful story with a bleak message: you can't hide from death. No matter how hard you try. It will creep upon you like a thief in the night. Ready to take the one thing we have l
Kim Vargas
"Valar morghulis", diría George RR Martin. Cuento corto, pero maravilloso. Me encantó la descripción, lo siniestro y el simbolismo en la historia. Solo hay una cosa segura en el mundo: La muerte. No se puede huir de ella, es inevitable.

Muy bueno :)
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Death- the ultimate equalizer of all. You can't cheat it no matter what your stature. This is what the story tells too.. Prince Prospero arranges a huge party for his near ones when a plague called 'red death' kills multitudes outside. He engages in all sort of luxuries to make himself and the people inside unaware of what's going on outside the walls. But in this party enters a man who is dressed in all the horrors of red death. In the end everyone falls dead. I loved the story for its message- ...more
Robbie  Gallifrey
By far my favorite E. A. Poe story, brilliant writer was he.
حسام عادل
تلك القصة وكذا (سقوط منزل آشر) هما أشهر ما كتب بو..هنا سينقسم شعورك حيالهما إلى أحد اثنين: إما أن تهيم بهما حبا وتقديرا وتراهما عبقريتين..أو ببساطة تمقتهما بجنون.
للأسف..كنت أنا من التصنيف الثاني.
Simply
Of all his chilling and bone rattling stories that make you see shadows in the dark, The Masque of the Red Death is the one of the most enticing of Poe's stories alone. You're drawn by the festivities of the palace, and how they all choose to ignore what is really going on in the world.

It would seem ideal to anyone in the situation. Imagine how many Jews just wished they could build a castle and have a good time until is was over. To a highschooler, a never ending kingdom of fun is so much more
Ricardo
Feb 06, 2015 Ricardo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ricardo by: Phylippa Nights B.
Shelves: 2015, 4-star, inglês
Li este livro pois li sobre ele num post do blog da Phylippa Nights B. e fiquei curioso. Li-o numa pausa do estudo de Ricardo Reis, e foi o suficiente para me fazer desanuviar do peso de ter de analisar poemas contra a minha vontade.

Se pudesse descrever a escrita presente neste livro por apenas uma palavra, essa mesma palavra seria "fantástica". De certa forma fez-me lembrar a escrita de Saramago, uma escrita que estou a adorar.

Não sabia ao certo sobre o que se ia tratar a história, mas arrisqu
A.K. Fielding
Okay! This was the CREEPIEST story that I have read ever, by any author!

The guy was an absolute genius!!! And still remains so.
Roy Klein
I read a different edition that's not listed on GoodReads (see here) with the purpose of practicing my Spanish.

This is the most challenging book I've read in Spanish so far, even with the English translation available for immediate reference. One reason is that so far I haven't read a book whose content is mostly intricate description of scenes, rather than rapid sequential happenings. The other reason is that the vocabulary is extremely challenging in both English and Spanish. Often enough I've
Shannon
One can lock oneself away, but that which can hurt us really lies within.

This is a great example of literature from the American Romantic movement, moving away from the Age of Enlightenment, during which all things could be explained by reason and science, and into the realm of the imagination and unexplained. Add a Gothic voice and we have quintessential Poe.
Emilia
Willy
willysbookreviews.blogspot.com

This story is the reason I fell in love with Edgar Allan Poe, I read this in class in September. I read it again last night.

Poe's stories are all around the same theme: there are no happy endings. And I can say that in everything that I have read by him, none of the characters live HAPPILY EVER AFTER. And in Masque Of The Red Death, there is NO escaping death.

The story starts off with Prince Prospero. He, in order to escape the red death, has a long lasting masquer
Catherine Thomas
I read this story due to the continuous references made to it throughout The Shining, which I am currently reading. It's an interesting story with a creepy and macabre concept, but the large amount of description regarding the setting bored me slightly.
M. Ashraf
This was a very short story ,but one of the best stories I've ever read.
This is my first Poe story, he was great, the use of colors and symbols is fantastic.The ending was ... I can't describe it, the whole story was creepy and really dark!!!

this was the ending:-
And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his fall. And the l
David jones
This was a great story. I found this and read it in my awesome Edgar Allan Poe book (barnes and noble classic edition, with leather bound binding and silver, sparkly end papers). And it was good. I like the real descriptiveness of this story, how it all comes together, and how complicated and unique this story was. In the book it was only a couple of pages long, but the story itself took me about ten minutes to read. Edgar Allan Poe is my favorite writer of that era (I might start reading other ...more
Carly Ellen Kramer
The Masque of the Red Death is far from my favorite Poe, but I've never read anything by Poe that would merit less than 3 stars.
Wendy Darling
Rereadad the story online since I'm reading Masque of the Red Death soon, and I'm so glad I did. Wow, what an extravagant, fantastical setting! This is one of those stories where you have to read it several times to look past the plot to delve into the symbolism; it's a masterpiece of a short story, and one I know I will be reading again.
Semnebune
Volumul Masca Mortii rosii si alte povestiri de Edgar Allan Poe apare saptamina aceasta, intr-o noua traducere semnata de Liviu Cotrau, in cadrul colectiei „Biblioteca Polirom“.
Masca Mortii Rosii si alte povestiri formeaza, alaturi de Misterul lui Marie Roget. Schita, nuvele, povestiri (Polirom, 2008), tabloul complet al nuvelisticii autorului american – gen literar care i-a consolidat reputatia atit in Statele Unite, cit si peste hotare.
Acest nou volum din editia de opere Edgar Allan Poe a Edit
Azkamalazka
ALOT of hard words. some pplwont understand it.
i uderstood it.
  • Ponies
  • The Willows
  • Paul's Case
  • Markheim
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado

“There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion.” 290 likes
“Even with the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made.” 95 likes