Start by marking “The Confession” as Want to Read:
The Confession

The Confession

In August 2004, Governor James E. McGreevey of New Jersey made history when he stepped before microphones, declared "My truth is that I am a gay American," and announced his resignation. The story made international headlines—but what led to that moment was a human and political drama more complex and fascinating than anyone knew. Now, in this extraordinarily candid memoir ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confession

Carrie Solinger
Louise
Jun 08, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a personal narrative and a description of New Jersey politics. It's sad that the circumstances of McGreevey's life forced this resignation, because the list of his achievements (early childhood education, insurance reform, tax redistribution, land conservation, and in the end, campaign finance reform) shows that he provided good governance within the realm of the possible.

McGreevey gives insight into the life of a statewide political leader. None of your life, nor that of your spous
Iris Robinson
Apr 29, 2013 Iris Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, audiobooks
Really interesting! I vaguely remember McGreevey's on-air confession, wayyyy before equality became a mainstream issue. It was enlightening to listen to his story, written in 2006, 7 years later. It shows you how far society has come in terms of LGBT rights and our views on it. Back in 2004, this was a BIG deal. A confession of an affair is of course still a big deal, but now there are many politicians who were openly gay when elected.

I felt more sympathy for McGreevey concerning his particular
Chepita
Jun 01, 2009 Chepita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I felt sadness for him and glad that he finally found the courage to be himself. The years he had to live a lie and hide his sexual orientation were sad and painful. It taught me that sometimes as parents we automatically assume our children are going to like/love the opposite sex, but we don't know. I learned how to better approach the subject of homosexuallity and sex in general with my children. I don't wish the pain and suffering he felt growing up on anyone. It's a v ...more
Edgar
Jun 27, 2016 Edgar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
Comes. Full. Circle.

I started reading this biographic book back in November on and off, and finally, I've reached to the point of understanding on James McGreevey's plight this summer.

It's a testament to any individual facing obstacles in life compounded with hiding one's own true self. As a reader, you're placed in a sympathetic and less judgmental mindset. But we are all human and some of us tend to judge; I do. Fair enough.

Overall, it's an honest and poignant story given in a selective pers
AuthorsOnTourLive!
In August 2004, New Jersey Governor James McGreevey made history when he stepped before microphones and declared, "My truth is that I am a gay American," and announced his resignation. The story made international headlines - but what led to that moment was a human and political drama more complex and fascinating than anyone knew. Now, in this extraordinarily candid memoir, McGreevey shares his story of a life of ambition, moral compromise and redemption.

We met James McGreevey when he visited th
Cbernard3
Oct 18, 2014 Cbernard3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The political behind-the-scenes was vividly portrayed in this autobiography. I found myself cheering for Jim McGreevy when he was able to settle down with a husband. I hope he still keeps in tabs with the New Jersey political machine.
Phil Williams
There is a great deal of good explanation of pay-for-play politics and the book goes into great detail of what campaining is like for a politician in todays America. I had a hard time liking McGreevey though because of his self loathing which is because of his Catholic upbringing. Nothing spreads hate like religion and if he had of been raised in a less religious household he wouldn't have wasted 48 years learing to like himself.
Therese
May 01, 2009 Therese rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
He remembers things differently than his wife did in her book. And, illumination, he barely mentions her in this book, as if she was furniture. Though he never really says anything bad about her.

I feel for him, how hard it was to choke back his real self his whole life, how scared he was. But he did SO much damage to other people, unneeded, selfish damage.

Yeah, he's still a dick. But now he's kind of a sad, pitiful dick.
Hillary
I read his ex-wife's book, and thought I'd read his to get a balanced picture of what happened. Overall I thought the book was good. Gave a lot of the "backstory" into New Jersey politics, which was interesting. Someone else's review had said there weren't as many life lessons as they had hoped, and I would agree with that comment. That said, I am glad he is now living his own truth and hope he is enjoying life to its fullest.
Larry
Oct 17, 2007 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I was not expecting to like this book and ended up being pleasantly surprised by it.The first part is very politically and religiously involved. He was a strong Catholic and really was politically driven.He talks about both his marriages,his children,his parents,his annonomous sex adventures,crushes,unrequited loves,his affair with golen,his road to recovery and search for happiness. Well written and I felt very honest.
Pablo
Jun 02, 2010 Pablo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With breathtaking honesty and detail, McGreevey tells a story that goes well beyond what the reader might at first expect. Reading his memoir has left me not only perplexed at an incredibly interesting, public coming out story but has also taught me much about the fascinating inside life of state politics.
Drianne
Very interesting read, although the apologetics for what were ultimately his own choices are a bit wearying. Still, a fascinating look at what ambition and fear can do to an otherwise decent person. Especially recommended for those interested in NJ politics.
Kevin L.
Jun 21, 2008 Kevin L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The former governor of New Jersey and his estrange wife are currently battling our their divorce in court. This is an insightful telling of how the desire to be someone we aren't causes many problems within our own and the lives of others.
Yak
Interesting both from the perspective of politics at the state level, and of course McGreevey's struggles with himself as a devout Catholic and closeted gay man. Not worth reading again, but it should be interesting to New jersey residents and gays.
Matthew
Jun 04, 2007 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in campaign politics or homos
Lots of information on campaigning and what its like to hold a powerful position as a closeted gay man. Not as many "life lessons" as I would have wanted out of a book like this, but still good.
Bridget
Oct 15, 2011 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book, but not enough personal anecdotes in it. Too professionally written, we want to see more emotion. Flat and boring at some points.
C.J. Edmunds
Jun 06, 2011 C.J. Edmunds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, audio-books, owned
Late perhaps as it may, this is how people are when they decide to live their life based on Truth.

Live it so. Because....IT gets Better!
Florence
What a pity that this man had to disguise his true nature in order to achieve the political career that he strived for.
Keith
Apr 27, 2009 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely can relate to the storyline (DUH!), but found much of the "filler" regarding politics sooooo boring!
Jean
Sep 23, 2009 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True story of the former NJ Governor coming out as a gay man. Very interesting.
Jill deResendes
If you read Silent Partner then you must read his side.
Annie Mesaros
May 22, 2012 Annie Mesaros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very thoughtful memoir! Loved it both times.
Elaine
Sep 06, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Jim McGreevey inspiring and brave.
Deborah Dietzler
Listened to it on audio.
Samantha
Apr 18, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very personal & revealing.
Greg Anderson
Greg Anderson rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • Lake Effect
  • Split Image: the Life of Anthony Perkins
  • When I Knew
  • Openly Bob
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • The Passion of Michel Foucault
James Edward "Jim" McGreevey is an American Democratic politician. He served as the 52nd Governor of New Jersey from January 15, 2002, until November 15, 2004, when he left office three months after admitting that he had had an extramarital affair with a male employee. Upon publicly revealing his homosexuality on August 12, 2004, McGreevey became the first and, to date, the only openly gay state g ...more
More about James E. McGreevey...

“Success was never accidental, he would say; it was always the result of a vision and hard work. Dad” 0 likes