Start by marking “The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey” as Want to Read:
The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey

Read eBook

The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The e-book era has launched thousands of writing careers and holds tremendous promise for future growth. Here's how one author went from publishing his first e-book to becoming a full-time author in a little more than a year. While offering general tips on business, craft, product development, and marketing, The Indie Journey's primary goal is to inspire you to embrace you ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Indie Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indie Journey

TL Jeffcoat
Jul 28, 2011 TL Jeffcoat rated it it was amazing
Recommended to TL by: Lindsay
This book is not about getting rich quick through self-publishing. This book is not a hoax. It isn't a technical manual on how to format an e-book. It is not how to write a novel. It is not how to map out an outline. This book is not a breakdown on the engineering of storytelling. That's right folks. This book is what every writer who is even considering Indie Publishing should be reading. This book is the reality of the life of what it takes to be an Indie Writer.

With this book you will begin t
Chryse Wymer
Sep 28, 2011 Chryse Wymer rated it it was amazing
I come back to this book repeatedly because it's deeply meaningful, almost spiritual, offers practical advice, and I think Nicholson and I are on a similar journey, although he's much farther ahead. Interspersed with wonderfully practical advice are gems of great personal beauty that Nicholson shares with us: "I put a Post-It note on my computer that says 'Do Good and Be Kind.'" Then there's "Some authors like numbers and data, but I'm avoiding those kinds of comparisons. While useful on the bus ...more
Christine Rice
Jun 08, 2012 Christine Rice rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
The Indie Journey is a book for self-published authors, and for those who are interested in learning more about self-publishing and how it differs from traditional publishing. The book is very convincing that self-publishing is a better method when it comes to happiness and success, which are the main goals of taking the indie route in publishing. The author stresses that success is not based on income, but rather, the ability to follow your dreams, work from home, do what you love, and share yo ...more
C.D. Reimer
Sep 16, 2011 C.D. Reimer rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, indie-pub
I loved the opening sentence of the introduction: "Does the world really need another writing book?"

I think the short answer is no. Especially if you read all the books listed in the next paragraph.

The Indie Journey presents a broad overview of an author who spent years with the traditional press and a day job until publishing his ebooks a few short years ago brought him enough success to quite his day job to write full time.

If you're a writer sitting on the fence between traditional and indie
Adrian
Apr 13, 2012 Adrian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: writers, aspiring writers
Shelves: read-2012
I wish I could give 3.5 stars. Three is too low, four is too high. The book was alternately encouraging and discouraging. "It's a great time to start a writing career!" But wait, "no it's not because it will all probably come to an end soon!" "You can earn a living as a fiction writer!" "You probably can't earn a living as a fiction writer!"

"If writing is what you want to do, you should try anyway", is the underlying theme of the book. That's always been true though; e-readers and easy indie pub
Glenn Rolfe
Apr 12, 2014 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it
This book is full of great advice, but it's not all a how-to. It's just as fun reading about Scott Nicholson and his ride from the the big New York publisher to going out on his own.
There's also just a lot of terrific and inspiring bits on motivation and not getting caught up in ego. Not an easy task for a writer.

There was some repetitive stuff here, but overall, it was definitely worthy of my time. I would advise anyone looking to self pub to go ahead and read this first.

Thank you, Scott. You a
Mark Lukens
Mar 23, 2015 Mark Lukens rated it it was amazing
Very motivational and inspirational. Every writer should read this book.
Graeme Ing
Apr 14, 2012 Graeme Ing rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Read this book if you are at all considering self publishing ebooks or becoming an indie author. It's not so much a how to manual as a why to, and that makes it stand apart from the million blogs of advice about self publishing.
Margaret McCullough
Sep 03, 2011 Margaret McCullough rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Great book for anyone who is thinking of taking the leap into the wonderful world of words. Scott's account of his personal journey is witty and informative.
Kenneth Wyman
Mar 23, 2013 Kenneth Wyman rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful. Well written with great insight. A great resource for anyone looking into independent publishing.
Keith
Jun 20, 2011 Keith rated it it was amazing
This is a must-have for any indie author and a great eye-opener for anyone toiling away in traditional publishing.
Markus
Jul 27, 2012 Markus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is the most encouraging book I've ever read when it comes to writing and self-publishing. I love this book!
Carol
Jul 02, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and enlightening.
Vito Vitkauskas
Vito Vitkauskas marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Linda Decker
Linda Decker marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Amanda Markham
Amanda Markham rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Rd
Rd marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
S. Aksah
S. Aksah marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mamat
Mamat marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Oct 05, 2015
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...