Start by marking “The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey” as Want to Read:
The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey
read ebook

The Indie Journey: Secrets to Writing Journey

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The e-book era has launched thousands of writing careers and holds tremendous promise for future growth. Here's how one author went from publishing his first e-book to becoming a full-time author in a little more than a year. While offering general tips on business, craft, product development, and marketing, The Indie Journey's primary goal is to inspire you to embrace you...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Indie Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indie Journey

TL Jeffcoat
Jul 28, 2011 TL Jeffcoat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to TL by: Lindsay
This book is not about getting rich quick through self-publishing. This book is not a hoax. It isn't a technical manual on how to format an e-book. It is not how to write a novel. It is not how to map out an outline. This book is not a breakdown on the engineering of storytelling. That's right folks. This book is what every writer who is even considering Indie Publishing should be reading. This book is the reality of the life of what it takes to be an Indie Writer.

With this book you will begin t...more
Chryse Wymer
I come back to this book repeatedly because it's deeply meaningful, almost spiritual, offers practical advice, and I think Nicholson and I are on a similar journey, although he's much farther ahead. Interspersed with wonderfully practical advice are gems of great personal beauty that Nicholson shares with us: "I put a Post-It note on my computer that says 'Do Good and Be Kind.'" Then there's "Some authors like numbers and data, but I'm avoiding those kinds of comparisons. While useful on the bus...more
Christine Rice
The Indie Journey is a book for self-published authors, and for those who are interested in learning more about self-publishing and how it differs from traditional publishing. The book is very convincing that self-publishing is a better method when it comes to happiness and success, which are the main goals of taking the indie route in publishing. The author stresses that success is not based on income, but rather, the ability to follow your dreams, work from home, do what you love, and share yo...more
C.D. Reimer
I loved the opening sentence of the introduction: "Does the world really need another writing book?"

I think the short answer is no. Especially if you read all the books listed in the next paragraph.

The Indie Journey presents a broad overview of an author who spent years with the traditional press and a day job until publishing his ebooks a few short years ago brought him enough success to quite his day job to write full time.

If you're a writer sitting on the fence between traditional and indie...more
Adrian
Apr 13, 2012 Adrian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, aspiring writers
Shelves: read-2012
I wish I could give 3.5 stars. Three is too low, four is too high. The book was alternately encouraging and discouraging. "It's a great time to start a writing career!" But wait, "no it's not because it will all probably come to an end soon!" "You can earn a living as a fiction writer!" "You probably can't earn a living as a fiction writer!"

"If writing is what you want to do, you should try anyway", is the underlying theme of the book. That's always been true though; e-readers and easy indie pub...more
Glenn Rolfe
This book is full of great advice, but it's not all a how-to. It's just as fun reading about Scott Nicholson and his ride from the the big New York publisher to going out on his own.
There's also just a lot of terrific and inspiring bits on motivation and not getting caught up in ego. Not an easy task for a writer.

There was some repetitive stuff here, but overall, it was definitely worthy of my time. I would advise anyone looking to self pub to go ahead and read this first.

Thank you, Scott. You a...more
Graeme Ing
Read this book if you are at all considering self publishing ebooks or becoming an indie author. It's not so much a how to manual as a why to, and that makes it stand apart from the million blogs of advice about self publishing.
Margaret McCullough
Great book for anyone who is thinking of taking the leap into the wonderful world of words. Scott's account of his personal journey is witty and informative.
Kenneth Wyman
This book was very helpful. Well written with great insight. A great resource for anyone looking into independent publishing.
Keith
This is a must-have for any indie author and a great eye-opener for anyone toiling away in traditional publishing.
Markus
This is the most encouraging book I've ever read when it comes to writing and self-publishing. I love this book!
Carol
Fascinating and enlightening.
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mamat
Mamat marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 12, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Chlo'e
Chlo'e marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Colin Galbraith
Colin Galbraith is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2013
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jul 23, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Katherine Musgrave
Katherine Musgrave marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Thota
Thota added it
Feb 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an...more
More about Scott Nicholson...
The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1) Write Good or Die Speed Dating with the Dead Ashes Liquid Fear