Start by marking “Lion Eyes: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Lion Eyes: A Novel

Lion Eyes: A Novel

Of Claire Berlinski’s marvelous debut novel, Loose Lips - a perfect blend of satire, romance, and suspense featuring a young female CIA operative - book critic Frank Bascombe observed: “It’s more than a little obvious that [protagonist] Selena Keller is Claire Berlinski.” Despite her assertions to the contrary, Berlinski isn’t above poking fun at that notion.

In Lion Eyes,
Audio CD
Published January 30th 2007 by Brilliance Audio

Creativeuser15
This book was nice, written in a different format than most "semi-romance" novels. Interesting plot, and culturally rich. The one thing that I just couldn't stand was the author's attempt to constantly shove down my throat, the endless marketing/advertising/reference to her other "amazing book." I'm sorry but you can't hypnotize anyone with half a brain to read your book, no matter how many times you forced to convince them with irrelevant relevancy that it belongs to be discussed in every singl ...more
alana Semuels
Is this a new genre -- spy novel/chick lit? I think, as a genre, it doesn't work. In a spy novel, we want adventure, danger, evil and victory. In chick lit, we want humor, compassion, hot men, and victory. In this, we don't really get any of the above. I listened to this on my ipod, rather than reading, so I might have gotten a slightly different impression -- a lot of email addresses to be read, but it meant I followed the plot very closely. And the plot had some major hiccups. The beginning wa ...more
Stacie
Jul 25, 2011 Stacie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised with this book. This book deserves more attention than it's getting. Anyone who has ever fallen in love over email will enjoy this read. Claire Berlinski is a spy fiction novelist that finds herself wrapped up in her own espionage story. Her correspondance with a Persian archeologist develops into a love story with a shocking ending.

The bulk of the book is written as emails corresponding back and forth between Claire and her friends, and the mystery archeologist. It was d
Tim
Jul 03, 2015 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book from a sale table so I wasn't expecting too much. It was okay but certainly not what I expected. I thought I was getting humour genre, but it's clearly more romance/not-sure-what-else. Lots of shameless plugs for her other book, which I really have no interest in reading. I will say I liked her writing style and she definitely has a great cast of supporting characters that could have made a funny soup if it weren't for the 'You've got mail' distraction. Strangely enough I s ...more
Frederick Bingham
The story of a fictional American author named Claire Berlinski, who lives in Paris but spends most of her time online. She befriends an Iranian archaeologist and an American CIA operative who wants to contact him. The friendship culminates in a dinner party in Paris with those two and a few other of her friends. The book is good, but I did not exactly understand how it ended and what the final outcome was. There was a lot of double crossing, and I think the Archaeologist used her to help his wo ...more
Hannah
Oct 17, 2007 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the wasy this author wrote because it was a mystery trying to figure out what was true in her life and what was not since she was writing from her perspective. I liked the content and the way that she tied everything together. I did not like some of the language, that's why I marked it as a 3. It's a very quick read.
Gerri
Jul 17, 2012 Gerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* This was the follow-up from the author's first novel, LOOSE LIPS. Both stories were intriguing, making me wonder if the author had really participated in the CIA. LION EYES was more colorful though with incredible descriptions of the characters' whereabouts with humorous emotional outcomes. Don't want to share any spoilers.
Liz
Jun 25, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book a lot although at times it seemed to wander a bit. However, at the end, the author referenced an earlier part that makes the ending seem different than what I perceived so now I wonder if I need to read it again because I don't remember that section. Hmmmm .. .
Marysue
Aug 21, 2011 Marysue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author wrote a non-fiction book about spies (Loose Lips). Then she writes a novel in which the main character is an author of a book about spies and who is approached by someone who believes she has spy connections. A very good read.
Martha
Aug 27, 2010 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire Berlinski, the author, is main character in her own novel
vida
Oct 20, 2007 vida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick read- well written and really entertaining!
Megan
Jun 16, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cool book - a spy novel, from a chick-lit POV. A quick read, a satisfying ending. Loved it.
Trudy
A quick read, humorous but a little scattered. Still, I enjoyed it.
Miriam
Mar 16, 2011 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I liked the story line but hated the ending. It had some language and weird stuff. Not one I will be reading again.
Claudia Douris
Very light read, nice book for the summer!
Melissa Wood
May 07, 2012 Melissa Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
hilarious, kookie, surprising, zany, madcap.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those rare books that made me laugh out loud.
Kate Carlisle
really easy reading, but makes me want to fall in love with an iranian man.. or atleast live in istanbul for a couple months.
Tori
2009- Confusing, especially the ending.
Ellen
Jan 15, 2011 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened on CD on my AZ/NM roadtrip. Entertaining, colorful locations (Paris and Istanbul) but not great writing or plot. Did not like the ending.
Lisa
Oct 20, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: smart people
Shelves: have-read
Berlinski is doing interesting things with the novel, and it's a fun, funny read.
Sharon405
Sharon405 rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
May 16, 2017
Shannon Knight
Shannon Knight rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2011
EunJin
EunJin rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Bibliotekar
Bibliotekar rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 Lion Eyes 1 1 Apr 24, 2014 10:38AM
CLAIRE BERLINSKI WAS born in 1968 in California, and grew up in New York, Seattle and California. She received her undergraduate degree in Modern History and her doctorate in International Relations from Balliol College at Oxford University. She has since lived and worked in Britain, Thailand, Laos, France, and Turkey as a journalist, academic, consultant and freelance writer.
More about Claire Berlinski...