Start by marking “A Winter Ballad” as Want to Read:
A Winter Ballad

A Winter Ballad

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fans of Jo Beverley, Eloisa James, and Stephanie Laurens will love Barbara Samuel's passionate, intelligent romance novels.

A FAIR MAIDEN
Anya of Winterbourne had suffered nothing but humiliation at the hands of men. And yet when she found a fallen knight in a still winter forest, she could not leave him to die.

A NOBLE KNIGHT

Weary of battle and pursued by assassins, Christia
Nook, 352 pages
Published April 13th 2011 by Barbara Samuel (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Winter Ballad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Winter Ballad

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
The perfect historical romance novel. I don't know if it is historically accurate and I don't give a damn! The story was incredible, sweet & sad. The characters were perfectly imperfect. The sexual tension between Anya & Christian- wow! I'm writing nice short, choppy sentences because I want to get this review in before I put it off and forget to tell people how much I enjoyed this book! I'll write a better review later (ok, it might not be better but at least I'll put more thought into ...more
~Leslie~
Nov 30, 2011 ~Leslie~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
I love discovering new authors, and this book reminded me of why I love historical romance so much. Such a beautifully written story. The writing reflects the time period. And the author is able to evoke the time period so well. This is a true historical romance. The romance is at the center but there are historical details to flesh out the story. I loved the hero and heroine and their interactions never rang false or wrong to me. Just a lovely lovely book.
Chandra
Feb 10, 2014 Chandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GENRE:
SETTING: time of Knights

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTER: Anya of Winterbourne; a woman stuck with a responsibility; a take charge woman; businesslike; stubborn.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: Christian; intelligent; gentle; humorous; dangerous when pushed.

SYNOPSIS: A badly injured knight and his dog and his memory is slow at bringing his problems from his past. She has problems in the present and in the midst of a dispute over the estate.

WHAT I LIKED: Cat and Remus the horse. Finding out what made Anya
Marilyn
I liked this better than A Bed of Spices. There were a few weak points but overall, I enjoyed it. There is a mystery involved, too.
Kimberly
May 31, 2012 Kimberly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
Free on Amazon and couldn't pass it up :)
Shelley
A Winter Ballad was a surprisingly good read. I had never read anything by Barbara Samuel before but I liked her style in this book. I would definitely recommend it. The way she wrote about the corruption in the Catholic church at that period of time was so true. The church was so political and contained so much power. I liked how the author demonstrated in her writing that it was not God who is corrupt but man. It was scary how the word of one powerful churchman could call a person a heretic &a ...more
Darla
Nov 30, 2013 Darla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book greatly. I liked both Anya's and Christian's characters; she was strong and determined, he was honorable and sexy. I like how they met and how the journey between them grew and strengthened as they got to know each other more. Anya wanted to properly care for her manor and the villagers outside it, and to get love from a man who'd deserved it. Christian just wanted peace and relaxation after spending the better part of his life not only fighting, but watching his back because ...more
Amanda
Jun 26, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read anything by Barbara Samuels before and was extremely impressed by this book. The tension between Christian and Anya, the way they both fight against how they feel, yet are inevitably drawn together might seem like a predictable book. Maybe in some ways it is, but don't forget that most romances are. Samuels changes it from being an ordinary book only slightly, yet you'd think it was a completely different romance genre. I was surprised by how powerful the church was back then, fo ...more
Belinda
Apr 07, 2013 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Barbara Samuels' books and this one was exceptional. The whole book was entertaining, sensual, and intriguing. The characters were one honorable knight named Christian de Moreerx. He was found and rescued by the beautiful Anya of Winterbourne. She took the knight back to her family's keep to recover from a beating from bandits. Before long they became friends and then lovers. There is her brother who wants the lands for the church to increase his standing as priest. But Anya refuses her b ...more
Rachel
Feb 09, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly good historical novel. Enjoyable from start to finish.
Danielle
Jun 10, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I felt he author conveyed well things that had happened in the characters' pasts and how it shaped their choices without making the reader feel like they were missing something or being hit over the head with it. I also felt she provided relatively accurate insights into the Church's power and the livelihoods of a range of social classes. The romance between the two main characters felt natural and well developed to me. I would recommend this historical romance.
Luisa
Dec 10, 2011 Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Barbara Samuel's book when I read Lucien's Fall and now I'm searching for all her books to read. Her books are so romantic, the plots so very well defined, and she presents the historical customs of the period she sets her characters in. In this case, the period is medieval, when the Crusades where happening, and she presents a much accurate view of daily life and world politics than other authors.
Mary23nm
A Winter Ballad was a wonderful surprise. I have read Barbara Samuel books before, but this one didn't have that high of a rating so I didn't expect much. It had everything you could want in a great romance book: great hero and heroine, good plot, good supporting characters and HEA. I thought the ending should have answered the question about Lady Anya being accused of heresy, but overall a great read.
Deb
May 28, 2011 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barbara-samuel
First book I've read by this author, but I'll look for more. It's on my Kindle. Skirted real history but certainly had a good feel for life in the Middle Ages - very atmospheric. Honorable hero and capable heroine who must deal with frightening challenges from family and nasty religious figures and ignorant beliefs. Lovely love story.
Highland-dreamer
Nov 09, 2012 Highland-dreamer rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this story. I thought Anya was a great character. She was strong, without being overpowering. She balanced Christian well, and it was nice to see a male character depending so much on the strength of a woman. Overall a good historical read.
M Alexandra Gonsalves
Its a great love story Christian finds the woman of his hearts desire and Lady Anya is very strong independent woman.Who finds herself falling in love with this mysterious night.I enjoy reading Barbara Samuels Historical Romances.
Bailey Bristol
Jun 08, 2011 Bailey Bristol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful chemistry between beautiful and heroic principal characters, couched in a remarkably crafted story and very real setting. I will be reading more of Barbara Samuel!
Petula
Apr 22, 2013 Petula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very emotional story. It tells of the hardship of women in the time and the power of the church. It also shows the strength that can come from love.
Tracyk
Apr 24, 2013 Tracyk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wouldn't call it a BR but still quite a good read. Christian the hero could have been a bit more alpha.

Worth a read.
Kelly_Instalove
First impressions: This was like a scaled-down Pillars of the Earth but with more sex and less blood.
Irishgirl1247
.99 nook book
I enjoyed the beginning but I started to lag a little past halfway through.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
A medieval story with a strong heroine, Anya and an even stronger hero Christian.
Aubrey
Oct 11, 2012 Aubrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super medieval, generally enjoyed the story, free DL from Kindle
Carissa
Mar 04, 2014 Carissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 51% nothing was happening
Mitzi
Free Kindle book May 31, 2012.
Cassandra
Nov 19, 2013 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good historical romance!
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Free on Amazon 05/31/2012.
Kelly
Nov 24, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story.
Tammy Walton Grant
$0.99 on amazon
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
  • Spring's Fury (The Graistan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)
  • A Knight's Vengeance (Knight's, #1)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • Knight's Caress
  • My Lady Gisborne: A Gisborne Novel
  • Conquering Passion
  • Twin Passions
  • The Dark Lord (Titans, #1)
  • The Last Knight
  • A Knight's Honor
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...