Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace

Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown #6)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville's ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night aro ...more
Published January 31st 2008 by Puffin Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace

Julesmarie
Almost all of the mysteries in this one were either logic puzzles or common-knowledge fact puzzles, so it was back to being much more fun to read.

My favorite mystery from this set was The Case of the Money Changer, where Encyclopedia set up the bully and proved he was stealing.

Also very fun, however, were The Case of the Cave Drawings and The Case of the Missing Ring.

This may very well be my new favorite of the series so far.
DaveA
Oct 05, 2011 DaveA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for 10 year olds! I **LOVED** this series as a kid, and I still enjoyed it re-reading it as an adult (so that I could discuss it with my 10 year old son). This time through, I even solved about 70% of the puzzles! :)
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've not been much of a mystery fan as an adult, but I loved this series, and read the ones in our library several times.
Jun R.
Dec 06, 2016 Jun R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book when I was a kid.
Lily
Dec 07, 2016 Lily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Laura Verret
The Case of the Silver Fruit Bowl. Chief Brown wants Encyclopedia’s opinion on a case. Mr. Holt claims that his store was robbed of a set of silver which he was trying to sell on behalf of a friend, but Chief Brown isn’t sure if Mr. Holt is telling the truth. Can Encyclopedia take a peek at the facts?

The Case of the Dwarf’s Beard. That Bugs Meany! He’s such a – well – meany. Now he’s stolen a set of candles from Gary Hale – candles Gary was ecstatic to win as the prize to a contest. But can Ency
Dharia Scarab
May 30, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books as a kid, it was fun rereading them.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another bo
Elisabeth
Dec 31, 2013 Elisabeth added it
Shelves: books-i-own

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As IdavilleÂ's ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling crimes. With ten confounding mysteries in each

Andy_basambekyan
Mar 07, 2013 Andy_basambekyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I choose this because I admire mysteries and different intresting cases. Enclopedia Brown is a detective where no job is to big for him. Encyclopedia's father is the cheif of the Idaville police. His dad, Cheif Brown would bring home his hardest cases and Encyclopedia would solve them He would have a quote saying, "Brown Detective Agency, 13 Rover Avenue, Leroy Brown, President, No case too large, 25 cent per day plus expenses." I like this quote because he advertises his servises in a great way ...more
Alex
I happened to walk past some Encyclopedia Brown books at the library the other day, and couldn't resist picking them up. I LOVED these books when I was a kid, when my dad used to read them aloud to me and I tried fervently to solve the case before Encyclopedia did. That usually never happened, because some of the answers were SO STUPID and no normal person could have ever solved them.

Anyway, had I not re-read this, I would have had these in my memory as awesome books, but re-reading them now ma
Timothy McNeil
Looks like some hate crime in Idaville as it has lost all but one of its Synagogues; Sobol doesn't tell the reader if this is because the temples were burned down or if the Jewish people were driven out of town. Kind of dark for a children's book.

Otherwise, Sobol does a decent job of having the solutions naturally arise. Still never makes sense that everyone always confesses at the first obstacle (or why knowing how to do a double exposure is grounds for disqualification in a photography contest
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Mskychick
Reread Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE DAMN BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F#%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Gina
Finished 9/5/16
Sheri St.
Encyclopedia Brown is at it again and solving all sorts of crimes, even crimes committed in nearby cities. Some of the solutions are quite creative and others are easily figured out. I appreciate that the book sometimes tapped on the readers' knowledge of elementary science.
The Styling Librarian
Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All and Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace by Donald Sobol - Still enjoying moving through this series with my son. We enjoy trying to solve the cases before reading the solutions!
O. has just discovered the wonders of Encyclopedia Brown. I'd forgotten how obscure some of the solutions are, but they're a good intro to the mystery genre.
Caleb
Feb 11, 2015 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. One person who's older than them doesn't really like him because Encyclopedia Brown always outsmarts him.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 19, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Maura
Encyclopedia Brown has a knack for solving crimes. These are quick reads, interesting mysteries and probably good for young kids to read.
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Jaymin Bhavsar
Jaymin Bhavsar rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Dena Puderbaugh
Dena Puderbaugh rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Sarah Anne
Sarah Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2008
Ranata
Ranata rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2008
Thecite
Thecite rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Luke
Luke rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
Kitty
Kitty rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • The Amusement Park Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #25)
  • The Case of the Snowboarding Superstar (Jigsaw Jones, #29)
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • The Secret Agent on Flight 101 (Hardy Boys, #46)
  • Detective Stories
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery on the Deep Blue Sea (Bobbsey Twins, #11)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)