Start by marking “Too Proud to be Bought” as Want to Read:
Too Proud to be Bought

Too Proud to be Bought

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The humble waitress and the Russian billionaire…

Waitress Zara Evans doesn’t belong in glittering high society. That is until she finds herself unexpectedly at an exclusive party and manages to captivate the most soughtafter man in the room – Russian oligarch Nikolai Komarov – by attracting his undivided attention…

For Nikolai, there’s something about Zara’s beauty that ma

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Too Proud to be Bought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Proud to be Bought

Kate
Sep 24, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall rating -- 3.5 stars

I really liked that the heroine stayed true to herself throughout the book. Even though she succumbed to the hero sexually, she refused to let him take over her life. She kept her waitressing job, refused to let him buy her a new wardrobe and jewels, and never asked for his help in paying off her debt. And the fact that the hero seemed to be perfectly fine with this arrangement (although he offered many times to support her) and didn't let it affect his masculinity.

But
RLA
Jun 03, 2011 RLA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Sharon Kendrick's books, she is master at writing romances and her books are fantastic examples of what the 'Modern' line is all about. This is another classic and brilliantly written example.

The story begins with the heroine Zara being persuaded by her friend to gatecrash a high profile party in order to try and get her friends clothing designs noticed by Russian millionaire Nikolai, the hero. Nikolai is immediately intrigued by Zara as she is so different in comparison to all
Kirill Problyad
Jun 02, 2012 Kirill Problyad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you enjoy the idea of a strong, independent woman getting the dicking of a lifetime? I don't mean physically, I mean emotionally, since really the sex is just foreplay for the weeks-long tantrum that the hero throws after he gets sufficiently laid. And of course the little lady must passionately refuse all expensive presents because never mind that her whole life just got derailed! -- A man needs help. Writing is pedestrian. It took me a while to place that the book started in England, as eve ...more
Jacqueline
Decent story that kept my interest. But nothing really stood out. It skirted the edge of angsty but wasn't really. It seemed like the story was a bit on the surface. I did like that the heroine was pretty independent though.
Ann Keller
Jul 02, 2012 Ann Keller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Waitress Zara Evans was on a mission. Somehow, she had to find rich Nikolai Komarov at the party and convince him to purchase her friend’s beautiful fashion designs for his stores. It was all too easy. Nikolai was as handsome as she’d heard and he was captivated by Zara’s beauty. Nikolai assumed that Zara was simply leading him on, as had several other females before her. Then she threw him a curveball. She was independent and proud, a pearl beyond price.

The more Zara got to know Nikolai, the mo
Caro
Las historias de Sharon siempre me enganchan, para bien o para mal, y a esta la terminé pronto. De a ratos tuve ganas de zarandear a la protagonista, pero me gustó su espíritu independiente. Incluso la historia no es la típica lineal de conocerse-distanciarse-declararse, sino que hay unos reencuentros ahí cerca del final, lo que hizo que fuera una trama muy cotidiana y no tan alejada de la realidad. A veces (por no decir siempre...) las heroínas de Sharon me parece que caen muy rápido por el hér ...more
Alison
Jul 28, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one - love a Russian hero, and this one was particularly formidable.
Layla
Carmen
The humble waitress and the Russian billionaire…

*For Nikolai, there’s something about Zara’s beauty that makes her stand out from the first class crowd. Experience has taught him all women have their price,

but he has never encountered anyone like Zara – a young woman who is too proud, too independent, too willful to be bought…*

Again, the insecurities of the hero regarding "women" weighs down this HP, even though there is a very strong willed heroine to prop him up.
Farah
This kind of plot has been used over a hundred times before but this book managed to be fresh and intriguing with the characters.

I really liked Zara .. she's strong , down to earth and true to herself .. she also has a way with words. Nikolai was very intriguing .. his arrogance and superior act was provocative yet there was something a little vulnerable beneath. I enjoyed the romance between Zara and Nikolai.

Overall it's very entertaining and romantic.
Roub
Oct 20, 2013 Roub rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
well, it's the kind of book u will like if u like cinderella's kind of story. it's not dat i dunt like dat kind but zara was so cheap. she cud not leave him even after all the insults. she just came coming back 4 more. n she was really silly insisting on keeping the waitress job !! as 4 nikolai, he was ruthless n i did not see him falling 4her. it was just sex on his part.
Tonya Warner
Zara gatecrashes an up-scale party to meet ultra-rich Russian oligarch Nikolai. A waitress by neccessity, she feels out of her depth when faced with the steamy Nikolai.

Overall, an OK story. The constant repeating of shock whenever Zara did not conform to Nikolai's thoughts was grating. Sex scenes were ok, but I just didn't feel like there was a connection for me.
Caylie (Team Jacob)
This is one of the first "adult" romance books I've ever read. I got it at the library, and I read it in less than a day. It's a little smutty and graphic, but I enjoyed it while I was on vacation. It was a borderline cliche love story, but it was definitely a guilty pleasure read. I really can't remark on anything else...
Fabiola Chenet
Feb 07, 2012 Fabiola Chenet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai adoré. Les deux héros étaient supers, le fait que le héros ait souhaité une aventure malgré ce qu'il pensait d'elle me l'a fait bien remonter dans mon estime et le fait que la fille soit si déterminée était super. J'ai adoré ce qu'elle lui dit avant de partir et j'ai adoré les déclarations du héros. Un bon petit Azur. :-)
3houd
Sep 04, 2012 3houd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I rate this novel 2 and a half stars. It was readable. The typical Harlquin novel. But both leads were not likable.
Anna
Mar 04, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-i-have
It was good. Wasn't very memorable, but I enjoyed the brief ride. Would read again.
Kelsey
Dec 14, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-amour
Russian billionaire, waitress, history with the man
Bridie Coleman
Apr 21, 2011 Bridie Coleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good read
Jodi
Sep 02, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read!
Anita Dabi
Anita Dabi marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Alexis
Alexis added it
Mar 27, 2016
Kristina Hammock
Kristina Hammock marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Daena
Daena rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Gayle Novak
Gayle Novak rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Mrs K Taylor
Mrs K Taylor rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Rachel Coke
Rachel Coke rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Tricia
Tricia added it
Mar 14, 2016
Harlequin Present...: Too Proud to be Bought by Sharon Kendrick 3 25 Sep 29, 2011 07:38PM
  • Doukakis's Apprentice
  • A Bride for Kolovsky (House of Kolovsky #5)
  • Behind the Palace Walls
  • The Petrov Proposal  (Forrester, #2)
  • Beauty and the Greek
  • The Matchmaker Bride
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • The Power of Vasilii (Russian Rivals #2)
  • The Kanellis Scandal
  • The Savakis Mistress (Modern Romance, #889)
  • Scandal: Unclaimed Love-Child
  • The Bride Thief
  • Surf, Sea And A Sexy Stranger (Modern Heat) (Brothers & Sisters, #1)
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper  (At His Service, #1)
  • His Unknown Heir
  • Katrakis's Sweet Prize
  • The Italian Boss's Mistress (Brides of L'Amour, #2)
  • Not For Sale
I was told off as a child for making up stories—little did I know that one day I’d earn my living by writing them!

To the horror of my parents, I left school at sixteen and held a bewildering variety of jobs: I was a London DJ (in the now-trendy Primrose Hill), a decorator and a singer. After that I became a cook, a photographer and, eventually, a nurse. I waitressed in the south of France, drove a
More about Sharon Kendrick...