Start by marking “The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)

The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy #2)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  7,926 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Here is the second novel in the blockbuster new trilogy that reveals the never-before-told story of the young Han Solo.  Set before the Star Wars(r) movie adventures, these books chronicle the coming-of-age of the galaxy's most famous con man, smuggler and thief.

Solo is now a fugitive from the Imperial Navy.  But he has made a valuable friend in a former Wookiee slave name
Published June 28th 2011 by Del Rey (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Hutt Gambit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hutt Gambit

Brad
Reading (or in the case of Star Wars The Han Solo Trilogy rereading) Star Wars books, with all their cheesie craptasticness is a great reminder of just how bad George Lucas' universe is.

It is all contradictions and stock characters and pretty lights and bad plots and predictability and self-referential bullshit and unspeakable dialogue and sci-fantastic worlds. And that's exactly why we love them so much -- or at least why I do -- because they are drivel.

So when A.C. Crispin, who is obviously a
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Han and Bria. Also liked seeing Chewie and Lando. Han got his own ship. Yay!!!

Hope to read more Han Solo books!! Can't wait to read Rebel Dawn!!!!
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
by A. C. Crispin, published in 1997.

This novel, book two in the Han Solo trilogy, starts off with Han kicked out of the Imperial Navy and hounded by a Wookie. Yes, the Wookie is Chewbacca and Han rescued him from slavery. Slavery imposed on his kind and many other “aliens” by the evil Emperor Palpatine. The Wookie now, Chew-something as Han calls him, owes Han a life debt and doesn’t want to “beat it.” And aren’t we glad he didn’t?

The famous pair are finally united in this second novel and they
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 12, 2017 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I still have issues with this Han Solo series: once again, it's all tell-don't-show in regards to Solo's imperial career and his rescue of Chewie from slavery (unforgivably covered in a matter of a few pages). Solo's first meeting with Lando is also rather perfunctory, and far less momentous than it could have been. But those complaints aside, this is a major leap in quality from the previous book. It's far more exciting and engaging a tale than "The Paradise Snare", and it manages to make Hutt ...more
Mary JL
Mar 24, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Sf adventure fan; Star Wars fans especially
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
It's not a spoiler as I think so many people have seen Star Wars. Han Solo did not succeed in the Imperial Space Academy. He actually made lieutenant; but then he inteferred when a vicious admiral was disciplining a Wookie slave with a force whip.

Han expected punishment; he did NOT expect to be thrown out entirely. So what other job is there for a crack pilot than smuggling?

At first, Han is going to seek his future alone. But when Chewbacca saves him from severe injury in a bar fight, he decides
Ron
Fills gaps in Hans' past, but the meeting with Lando is too contrived. Nice to see that Han really is a scoundrel ... with issues. ;-)

And the whole Boba Fett business is completely out of sync with the Star Wars movie canon. It's not Crispin's fault; she wrote before Episodes Two and Three identified Jango and Boba jett.
Vanessa
Oct 12, 2016 Vanessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
3/5 estrellas.

El primer libro de la trilogía lo leí a principios del año pasado, y retomando la historia en un principio pensé que sería una continuación directa del anterior, con Han incorporándose a la escuela militar imperial, pero en vez de eso me encuentro que está situado cinco años después, en específico, tres meses después de ser destituido de su carrera militar, y junto a Chewbacca (como se sabe él fue la razón principal del término de la carrera), lo que no resulta malo aunque me hubie
CB
I just couldn't finish it this time. The further I read, the more forced the writing felt. Crispin works too hard to put in the vocal and physical mannerisms of Harrison Ford's Han Solo, rather than making the character her own. Likewise, I don't think she knew what to do with Lando. I love the characters and the concept, but simply could not stomach the execution.
Adam Koebel
HAN FUCKING SOLO
Chase
Apr 23, 2015 Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Lloyd
Sep 07, 2011 Andrew Lloyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! So much better than the first one in the series. Can't wait to read the conclusion to the trilogy!
Thomas
The Paradise Snare introduced the idea of Han Solo as an Imperial Navy pilot. It was an interesting idea, and one that helps explain why he's such a good pilot in the movies (though it doesn't explain why he never brings it up in the movies, but hey, this book was written 20 years after the movie, and I can live with such things), and one that I looked forward to reading about in The Hutt Gambit. Alas, this book picks up five years later, a month or so after Han has been kicked out of the Navy f ...more
Alana
Little too much of Han pining away for his lost love, but a lot more battle action than the last book, so it balanced. It was fun (if less than realistic) to see the smuggler's band together to fend off the Empire and have a fun battle sequence. Also seeing Han's background leading up to his eventual generalship in the Rebellion. Typical space-action sci-fi ride.
Dave
May 22, 2017 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy followup to the first part of the trilogy.
A Bald Mage** Steve
May 28, 2017 A Bald Mage** Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steve
Really enjoyed this Han Solo trilogy this middle instalment has it all Jabba , Boba Fett , and Lando all good stuff ..... 8/10
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 10, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
"To make the big money, you gotta be willing to take those risks."
Han has just been dishonorably discharged from the Imperial Navy for intervening on behalf of Chewbacca, a Wookiee slave. Now, he is unemployed and burdened with a Wookiee, insistent on staying at his side due to a "Life Debt". But Han is clever. He pulls himself up and begins to hone his piloting craft by working for the Hutts, keeping just ahead of the bounty hunters, and meeting people who will influence his life in the future.
Eric Sullenberger
I read these three books back-to-back and because the lines between them are a little blurred I'm going to review them all together here.  I will try to comment on each one separately, but there might be spoilers between the books.

This Han Solo trilogy, which differs from The Han Solo Adventures  trilogy by Brian Daley, introduces a young Han Solo and fills in many of the gaps left by other works.  The gap filling is nice, but also causes the books to jump around a lot and be a little sporadic
Mark Oppenlander
In the second book of the Han Solo trilogy, our hero has lost his commission in the Imperial Navy and has resorted to smuggling to make a living. Down on his luck, he has fallen in to an uneasy partnership with a Wookie, Chewbacca, whose life he saved and who will not now leave his side. The book traces Han and Chewbacca's early smuggling career as they attempt to make a name for themselves and earn a living. They go to Nar Shadda, the Smuggler's Moon in the Hutt system, and find work with the H ...more
David Alderman
Sep 10, 2008 David Alderman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
As I sail through my 2012 reading list, I am really glad I decided to start it out with my favorite series of all time - the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin. I am now in the second novel in the series, The Hutt Gambit, and in this second installment, Han finds himself kicked out of the Imperial Navy with a Wookie - Chewbacca - glued to his side, indebted to him for saving the giant furball from slavery. And so starts the next chapter in Solo's adventurous life.

I love reading about Han's first c
Ian Reay
Jan 15, 2015 Ian Reay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This was a great book with plots within plots, betrayal, and just plain greed.The second book in the Han Solo trilogy has more suspense and action in the story. Han is now a freelance pilot, who is working for the Hutts, as they are competing with each other over the smuggling operation in the galaxy. Han begin his adventure by being thrown out of Imperial Navy for insorbination. He becomes friends with Chewbacca, who believes in a life debt for saving his life. The two of them struggle to survi ...more
Dane Cobain
Aug 27, 2013 Dane Cobain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a bit of history behind this review, and I feel like it's some sort of coming of age - this is the second book in Crispin's Han Solo trilogy, set before Star Wars (i.e. A New Hope) and featuring a young Han Solo. The first book is called The Paradise Snare, and I first read that when I was a youngster - I recently reviewed it and felt nostalgic, so I decided to get its sequel.

The thing is, I'm now twice the age I was when I read its younger sibling, and the author has sadly passed away -
Jaime Krause
Oct 17, 2012 Jaime Krause rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place 5 years after the events of the first book and spans 2 years or so. Han made it to the rank of lieutenant in the Empire before he saved a Wookiee slave (Chewbacca) from being killed. Stripped of his rank with dishonorable discharge, Han begins a bit lost and searching for a job.

The t'landa Til learn Han's alive and place a bounty on his head. Meanwhile, he heads to Nar Shaddaa and meets up with his Academy friend Mako. Vima Sunrider is in here, someone who I didn't know when I r
Jim C
Apr 08, 2015 Jim C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place in the Legends universe and is the second book of a trilogy. The first one should be read to understand what is going on in this one. This takes place five years after the conclusion of the first book. Han did not make it at the Imperial Academy and he is trying to find his way in the galaxy. These are events that happen before A New Hope.

I really liked this one as it brought back the feelings I felt watching the very first movie in the theaters. I believe the author has a good
Charles
Dec 02, 2014 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-eu
It was enjoyable at times but seemed to run stale at parts. Looking back it is easy to tell now that when this book was published (1997) the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" saga of books (called the EU) was starting to become more commercialized and less innovative. This coincides with the release of the Special Edition and the building hype for the disaster that would later become the Prequel films. At least at this point though, the book is still enjoyable for providing a necessary story for Han ...more
Jen
Jul 31, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the first of this trilogy, partially because I felt it started off without much setting at all. Yes, Crispin explains how we got from the proud Academy lad at the end of the first book to the smuggler at the beginning of this one, but it felt forced. Han Solo has to be a scruffy smuggler, and having so much happen offstage so that he is a scruffy smuggler came across as needing to fit the film Solo rather than truly developing the character.
I like that Br
Matisse
Jan 12, 2016 Matisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, there are two types of cowboy novels.

'The Paradise Snare' resembled works by Shaefer ('Shane') and Wister ('The Virginian'), with definite plotting and gentle sprinkling of characterization. I loved it to pieces.

'The Hutt Gambit' is the other type of cowboy novel. In college, I had trouble getting through Doctorow's 'Welcome to Hard Times' because it was, essentially, Cowboy Slice-Of-Life: The Novel. We saw long, drawn-out moments that did nothing but make us really, really know what the f
Scot Eaton
I will admit clearly that once the story picks up in the last 100 pages, this becomes a pretty exciting book. However, there are just too many places where this book goes wrong.
1. This book is #2 in the Han Solo trilogy, but it picks up the story 5 years later. In this 5 years, Han is no longer in the imperial academy, and Chewie is already his lifelong companion. Their meeting is told via a brief flashback. The entire time reading this book, I couldn't get over the fact that I WANTED to be read
Andi
Oct 29, 2014 Andi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book really had me spinning.

I wanted to re-write the story. The story itself was cool. The dialogue for Han Solo and everybody else was god-damn-awful. This is what you get when someone decides to heavily base their dialogue off of what you hear Han Solo say in the films... even to the point where it's lifted word-for-word. Another reviewer made a comment saying that the fault with this (and these) book(s) is that they never seem to 'develop' Han or Han never comes out naturally. He's horr
Jerry
Aug 20, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good: The late A.C. Crispin's fleshing out of beloved character Han Solo is a great portrait. You read of Han's loves before he met the lovely Princess Leia, him fighting in interstellar dogfights, and his one-on-one interactions with his best buddy Chewbacca. Since the infamous Solo is a pop culture figure, fans of the movies will likely have a blast reading about his early days.

The Bad: Though this book was good overall, I did find it to be harder-edged than Star Wars usually is. Not only
Prasidh Ramson
The second book in the Han Solo trilogy kicks off with the titular hero dishonorably discharged from the Imperial Navy. We find Han Solo and Chewbacca as best friends, roaming the Galaxy doing freelance piloting and deliveries for the Hutts, amongst others. They fall in with a merry band of fellow deviants (we are introduced to characters who have larger roles in the movies) on the fabled smuggler's world Nal Hutta. When the Imperial Army takes interest on the activities on this planet - things ...more
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Before the Storm (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #1)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Tales from Jabba's Palace (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
More about A.C. Crispin...

Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)

“unrelieved black set off her pale skin and exquisite bone structure. Her” 0 likes