Start by marking “Heidi” as Want to Read:
Heidi

Heidi (Heidi #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  152,249 Ratings  ·  2,566 Reviews
Ця дотепна, цікава книга виявляє основні чинники радості — жити в гармонії з природою, задовольнятися малим, відчувати ближніх серцем. А люди стужилися за усміхом!
Published 1932 by Garden City Publishing Company (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Heidi, please sign up.

Samiha Sauda, I guess you haven't read the book.
Sauda, I guess you haven't read the book.
Rashmi, yes she does, one of the greatest adventures in children's literature in my opinion. Read the first few pages of the book and you'll be drawn in, I can guarantee you that! (less)
Zunaid Hassan There are four unofficial sequels written by Johanna Spyri's french translator, Charles Tritten.

Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
This was so cute and heartwarming, if a bit preachy, but it is a product of its time period in that way. But I really loved it overall!
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 15, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (Children's)
Shelves: 501, childrens
Heidi's Ten Life Enriching Lessons for Grownups:

I normally read children's books during Christmastime. Not only to catch up with my Reading Challenge (I am behind by 10 books as of this writing), but also, most of children's books have life lessons that can be good reminders for the coming year. New Year always means new beginning, new hope. Do you remember when you were still in school and after reading a story in class, the teacher asked you what was the lessons you learned from it? So, in thi
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Heidi, a Swiss book originally published in German in 1881, was one of those books I grew up with: my mother had a simplified, abridged version of it that I read many times and loved as a child. When I realized the GR group "Catching up on the Classics" was doing it as a January group read, I jumped in, excited for the chance to revisit Heidi and her simple, joyous life in the Swiss alps with her grandfather.

description

Heidi, a 5 year old orphan, has been raised by her mother's sister Dete, who resents the
notgettingenough
Mostly during primary school my chosen prospective career was saint.

Ah, but then there was the period where I discovered Heidi and as I read and reread it a bunch of times, I most fervently wanted to become a goatherd, with all that this entailed. The bell. The sleeping snuggled into warm hay in the attic. The eating of too much cheese.

So taken was I with the idea of Switzerland that when we were asked, about grade 6, where we were going for the term holiday, I – who had never been on a holiday
Katie
Jun 12, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chilren, adults, adults reading to children
Recommended to Katie by: Grandma
Thanks to all the bowdlerized, Disneyfied stupidifications it's been through, poor old Heidi's story gets a bum rap. In fact, Heidi is no sap, and more to the point, her friend Clara with the wheelchair is no timid Victorian dying violet. Somebody plonked this great big book in my lap when I was seven years old, a good reader, and in need of something heavy to hold me down on a long car trip. It worked; it took me off from my flat prairie summer to a land of purple mountain peaks and jumping goa ...more
AMEERA
Feb 12, 2017 AMEERA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful
Stephanie
A heartwarming classic children's book that is meaningful for adults...

I loved Heidi as a child. This book was a dog-eared favorite! I did enjoy revisiting this book recently as part of a group read, as an adult. However, I do think that the magic of the book is best for children. I will fully disclose that 1 of the stars is completely nostalgic!

What I loved:
* The beautiful descriptions of the setting -- the Alps in Switzerland
* The fact that Heidi had such a positive impact on those around her
Dhanaraj Rajan
I cried a lot out of happiness reading this book....................

The tears flowed out of my eyes without me noticing them...........

The story begins well and is lively and after certain chapters (after the first half, to be precise), the novel contains only pure and innocent happiness. Each chapter in the second half gets better and the happiness begins and flows through the chapters making the reader very sentimental and longing for such lovely landscapes, friendships, relationships, and hap
Kathleen
FREE good-quality audio recording of Heidi, narrated by Kara Shallenberg:

Heidi is a childhood favorite.

All the evils of the world might be cured by mountain air, kindness, and goat's milk.

Vividly descriptive. Just whisk me to the Swiss Alps, bright with myriad blossoms, fragrant with fir and pine, alive with birdsong. The blessings of nature surround, the sun shines down all around, and never an unkind sound.

Heidi is five — pale and small — when she fi
Jean
Jan 27, 2016 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: Dhanaraj Rajan
Heidi is a deservedly well-loved tale; a classic of children's literature which has been translated into many languages, and told and retold to new generations of children, ever since it first appeared in 1880.

It tells of Heidi, a little Swiss orphan girl, whom we first meet when she is less than five years old. Her aunt Dete is taking her to live with her reclusive old grandfather, in his hut high up on the Alm mountain. Everybody on the Alm in the little village of Dörfli comes to love Heidi,
Elizabeth
Heidi is a basic white girl with a fondness for mountain air and goats.
Sura  ✿
هــايدي ♥

يبدو أن قصص اطفال القرن التاسع عشر هي الافضل , و اظن انه من الظلم ان نصنفها ضمن قصص الاطفال , فهي تصلح لكل الاعمار وفيها من الدروس الانسانية البليغة .
حسنت مزاجي بل و أِشعرتني ببهجة في الوقت الذي لم تتمكن من ذلك ثلاث كتب اخرى .

" النجوم تلمع لانها تعيش فوق في السماء و سعيدة , ثم تومىء لنا لانها تريد لنا السعادة ايضاً . اتعلمين ؟ ان الله يصلح كل شسء بحيث لا يكون ثمة داع للقلق . فكل شيء سيكون على ما يرام في النهاية "
Tracey
Jun 04, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children, 5-star
My two favorite aunts gave me Heidi when I was eight years old. I don't know if it was Christmas or birthday; all I know is I have them to thank not only for this but for Anne of Green Gables (and my very favorite stuffed bear Snowball), bless their names forever. As with Anne, I read Heidi over and over (and over), and followed up with some of the sequels from the library, and loved it dearly; unlike with Anne, though, I haven't read Heidi in many years. The Goodreads Kindred Spirits group chos ...more
Samra Yousuf
Sep 06, 2016 Samra Yousuf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a girl who lives in highlands and drinks milk and eats cheese daily.......
What can else a happy life be?
She lays under vast blue and wanders in alps,walks in greenery with a bucket........
What can else a happy life be?
She befriends a lad who is goat-herd and lives n neighboring.......
What can else a happy life be?
She is Heidi and she is happy.

Jim
Very similar theme to The Secret Garden - fresh air & country kid causes incredible cure in rich invalid kid. The parenting is slightly better, but still quite distant. Overall, the story read more like an outline most of the time. The characters weren't very deep, although there was an air of mystery about several which attempted to make them more interesting. Worked a bit for some. Most were just caricatures, though. The ending was predictable.

The main character was a cheerful chatterbox
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
My sister and I were so enamored of this book when we were little. With that in mind, I'll let my four-star rating stand. However, I recently ran across a copy of the book and thought it might be fun to read it again after all these years. Nostalgia and all that, right? I was sickened by the over-the-top flowery writing. Gaaaaag me with syrupy sentiment! I was also surprised by all the gooey religious references, which I didn't remember AT ALL from my childhood readings of it. I don't object to ...more
Taha
Jan 08, 2017 Taha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2016'da sonunda 100 kitap hedefimi tutturmamın ardından çıtayı yükseltip yeni yılda "100 kitap 100 çizim" gibi bir hedef koydum kendime. Bu da ilk denemem:
description
Her okuduğum kitabın ardından bunun gibi bir çalışma yapmaya çalışacağım. Böylece sevdiğim ilgi alanları olan kitap ve çizimleri bir araya getirmiş olacağım.
Yılın sonunda bu hedefimi gerçekleştirdiğimi görmek veya yarıda kalan hedefimle dalga geçmek isteyenler instagramda BURADANtakip edebilirsiniz:) Ayrıca linki profilimde de var.
NOT: Heid
Kiwi
Dec 17, 2014 Kiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya, classics
A children classic which made me want to take a trip to the Alps, drink fresh milk and eat toasted goat cheese. Extra star for nostalgia too :)
booklady
Reading a children’s classic as an adult can be a trip down memory lane, but it can also be something of a disappointment … well sort of. My recent reread of Heidi was a little of both. It was wonderful to revisit this old childhood favorite. It brought back many very happy memories and I did indeed experience something of that wonder of that first encounter all those years ago.

The book, Heidi, represents—for me—a place or anyway a sense of place. It is the Swiss Alps. It was my introduction to
Naji Albarri
Jan 30, 2016 Naji Albarri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
حسناً يا هايدي، أنا اليومَ أسعد مما أستحق.
أسعد مما كنتُ أتخيله ممكناً.
من الجيد أن أكون في سلامٍ مع الله ومع الأصدقاء.
كان الله كريماً معي عندما أرسلكِ إلى كوخي...

من منا لا يتذكر هايدي ذلك المسلسل الكارتوني القديم؛ هايدي تلك الطفلة ذاتَ الخمس سنوات عندما كُتبَ لها أن تعيش مع عجوزٍ غامضٍ يتجنبُ مخالطة الناس، وينسجون عنه الحكايات والقصص لانزوائه عنهم أعلى الجبل بعد أن تخلت عنها خالتها ديتي... لقد غيرت كل ما حولها بصفاء قلبها وبراءة مشاعرها...
أعادت الحياة لقلب الرجل العجوز، وجعلت بيتر وعائلته يشعرون
Magrat Ajostiernos
3,5/5
#NostalgiaTime
Clasicazo de la literatura infantil que creo que todos los que hayamos visto de peques su adaptación animada sabremos disfrutar.
Una historia para niños de las de antes, con bastante moralina y una presencia de la religión hacia el final demasiado pronunciada para mi gusto... y aún así me parece un libro delicioso y enternecedor, de esos que te hacen reír y llorar con sus adorables personajes.
Me quedo sin duda con la genial Heidi (una heroína infantil de la talla de Anne Shirle
Dyuti
Mar 18, 2012 Dyuti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dyuti by: My father
Shelves: children

This was one of those rare books which instilled in me the gift of imagination, and taught me how to dream...

Dreams

I believe it requires great skill to weave magic for generations, armed with nothing but a simple, heart touching plot and oodles of feel-good-factor! And Johanna Sypri is one such skilled author.

The story flows thus: Heidi, an orphaned little girl, goes to live in the Alps with her grandfather. She is the personification of innocence and gaiety. Living on goat milk, and grazing the herds
Tamra
Apr 10, 2009 Tamra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's thinking about being a hermit in the Swiss Alps--take me with you!
Shelves: own-currently
I never read this book as a kid. It sounded too girly. But it's a classic, so gave it a shot.

It's a slower read, for normal juvenile lit--owing to the fact, I'm sure, that it was written more than 100 years ago. Compared to other things I've read from the same time period, the book is a page turner! And it's a page turner compared to most of the adult fare I read, too. But it's not a lightweight book in terms of wordiness, length, and descriptions.

It does have a good dose of religion, but Spyri
Rowena
I love,love,love this book!One of my childhood favourites. Despite the fact that I hate milk, reading this book always made me wish I could live on a farm and drink fresh milk every day. I also wanted to have a bed of hay in the loft, never thought of how itchy it might get!
Book 5 of #booktubeathon officially complete! Such a sweet story. So glad to have finally read this one. Full review to come.
غزل أدم
I feel happiness
the reason this book
Manybooks
Johanna Spyri's Heidi is a novel that is not only an enduring classic (first published in 1881, still going strong, a perennial favourite, and still remarkably enjoyable), but also one of those books that can be read and perhaps even should be read on a multitude of different and equally rewarding levels. As with many children's classics I consider personal favourites, my review will consist of primarily musings and detailed analyses of certain parts and aspects of the narrative. I will also pro ...more
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg. Surprisingly enchanting and accessible, and less twee and saccharine than expected.

Ok, as far as I recall, I've never actually read this before. I do love the art of Tomi Ungerer so when I had a chance to pick up a copy of this edition, ISBN 0385302444, I thought it'd be fun. And, once I realized that Ungerer was doing an entirely different kind of work than I've seen before, and got used to it, I loved it.

Now I did have a thrill of recognition at the very beginning, in which Dete has Heidi
Judy
THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ
Heidi was one of my most read books as a child. I think our family owned it so I could just pick it up and read it whenever I wanted to. I remember being entranced by the fact that Heidi's aunt made her wear ALL her clothes so there would be nothing to carry on the journey to Grandfather. It was a hot spring day when Heidi made that first climb up the mountain to her grandfather's cabin. I felt sorry for her being so over-dressed but I knew right away that the aunt was a "b
Sara Steger
Jan 23, 2015 Sara Steger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and those who have small children
Shelves: bingo-2016
This is the second time recently that I have gone back to revisit a book from my childhood. I think it might be the last. I find that for the most part my distant memories of these books are more pleasing than the reality of reading them at such an advanced age.

This book was sweet, but very unrealistic and unsatisfying. The child is too good, the characters too underdeveloped and the miracle too preposterous for my adult tastes. I think I will leave all the other childhood books that beacon my
Catching up on Cl...: Heidi - SPOILERS 44 106 Dec 20, 2016 11:14AM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Heidi -- Buddy Read 43 98 Dec 20, 2016 10:30AM
Around the World ...: Discussion for Heidi 14 67 Jul 19, 2016 04:21AM
Catching up on Cl...: Heidi - NO Spoilers 70 97 Jul 16, 2016 05:36AM
What is your favorite, movie or book? 13 81 Jun 14, 2016 09:17PM
  • Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)
  • Heidi's Children
  • Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy, #9)
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1)
  • Lassie Come-Home
  • The Railway Children
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Star of Light
  • Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • Emil and the Detectives
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse
Johanna Spyri was an author of children's stories, and is best known for Heidi. Born Johanna Louise Heusser in the rural area of Hirzel, Switzerland, as a child she spent several summers in the area around Chur in Graubünden, the setting she later would use in her novels.

Johanna Spyri geb. Heusser. Die Tochter eines Arztes und einer pietistischen Lyrikerin wuchs als viertes von sechs Kindern in ei
More about Johanna Spyri...

Heidi (2 books)
  • Хайди и Клара (Heidi, #2)

“I want to go about like the light-footed goats.” 525 likes
“I'll always say my prayers...and if God doesn't answer them at once I shall know it's because He's planning something better for me.” 116 likes