The Bronzed Hawk

The Bronzed Hawk (Reluctant Lark #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In #1 New York Times bestseller Iris Johansen’s riveting novel of danger and romantic adventure, a gutsy reporter and a rugged inventor battle the elements, outlaws, and their own primal attraction in the scorching Mexican desert.

Kelly McKenna is a photojournalist with a renegade reputation—and a fearless streak that lands her in an experimental hot air balloon, flying ove...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by Bantam (first published December 1st 1983)

Zeek
The second book in this two part series, The Bronzed Hawk, went a long way in toning down the domineering ways of the first. Oh, Nick O’Brian, the hero, was still a tad overbearing, but at least the heroine, Kelly, could hold her own (Unlike the heroine in The Reluctanct Lark).

Nick and Kelly are made for each other. Adventure seekers and adrenaline junkies- from the time Kelly enters his life, and apartment, Nick’s a goner. He agrees to her request for a ride-along interview- something the inven...more
Joan
What a disappointment! Johansen's usual genre is mystery - ones that I usually enjoy. This novel was published in 1983, so I can only assume that it was a first attempt and she was just learning to write. The book was a "bodice-ripping" romance; I guess Johansen must have started in this genre and advanced later to the mysteries she is known for. This highly-formulaic romance showed the stereotypical couple who meet and immediately fall in love, each believing, however, that the love is not reci...more
Lucia
I can't believe I wasted my time with this book. I don't know what made me angrier, the actual writing or the story itself. First let me say that I'm not some die hard feminist. I like a little smut just like the next person. But this was really juvenile. The "heroine" lets this man bully her and threaten her. I think Nick is a classic abuser. She should have run for the hills. I can picture her years down the road, thinking about all the warning signs she missed, (which were apparent to everyon...more
Susan Reyna
I did not finish this book as it was not my kind of thing. The cover of the copy I checked out at the library was not as tell-tale as the one pictured here on Goodreads.
Anne
I love most anything by Iris Johansen. I have to say I prefer her mystery suspense books. Those I can't put down and end up reading in one setting. This book disappointed me, not because it was a bad book, it was an easy, fun read, but because it wasn't as good as her other type of books. It was a straight romance, not much of a plot, ridiculous sort of love at first sight. I believe that can happen but it just seemed unreal in this book.
Clarissa
Worst book by Iris Johansen (of whom I am a huge fan) that I have ever read. Yes it was written in 1983 and for that reason I have to give it a bit of an excuse. But the heroine was whiny and wishy washy the hero was a jerk, and the entire relationship was built on constant miscomprehensions and jumping to wrong conclusions. It was really bad.
Caro
I really liked this book. It had humor, emotions, steamy scenes, and action/suspense. I would definitely read this book again. It was written well and was a good page-turner. I couldn't wait to see what scrap was gotten into next. I liked the ending too. Enjoy
Naomi Moore
I liked the overall story but due to the jealousy issues and threats of physical violence from Nick I couldn't find the romance. If this was a true life story Kelly would have been cautioned to get away from him before he made good on one of this threats.
Maria
This was just silly and hilarious. Thirty years after it was written, it reads more like a parody of an 80s romance than an actual serious tale, showing how far our ideals have evolved when it comes to equality and expectations of romance.
Michelle Kasper hagerty
I have to agree with several of the other reviews. The over bearing and jealous ways are a bit much. I found a few inconsistency in Kate's character in the first part of the book that were disappointing. Overall a decent book.
Jeri
This book was labeled as a mystery on the spine, but it must have been mislabeled. It was a romance all the way through with very little suspense or mystery. An easy read, but it isn't rated terribly high on my list.
Alice
I've read most of this author's romance novels, as well as her adventure novels. I found this one kind of boring and the characters not very well developed.
Kathy Anne
i have read mostof these windswept books of Iris`s and did not like any of them that I can remember.She definitly improved after she stopped writing them
Brianna Elsass
Very hard to believe... Interesting romance to it although at the end you wanted them to just figure it all out and stop being stupid
Thought it was another of her murder mysteries, but it was a romance. Still not disappointed though!
Linda
A quick read and thoroughly enjoyed the book!
Kim
This was okay. little predictable.
C.mills
Boring. Too much like harlequin romance
Ruth
ok. stands up to the test of time +/-.
Anna
I read this back in the 90s.
PWRL
Jan 04, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sasha Johnson
Sasha Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Jul 07, 2014
  • Shades Of Gray (Hagen Series #8)
  • Love Song for a Raven
  • Gambler's Woman
  • Undressing Mercy
  • Future Perfect
  • Date With the Devil
  • The Marchese's Love Child
  • Diamond Bay (Kell Sabin, #2)
  • Heaven's Price
  • Reluctant Mistress, Blackmailed Wife
Johansen began writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success. She had seventeen consecutive New York Times b...more
More about Iris Johansen...
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)