Start by marking “The Bronzed Hawk” as Want to Read:
The Bronzed Hawk

The Bronzed Hawk (Reluctant Lark #2)

In #1 New York Times bestseller Iris Johansen’s riveting novel of danger and romantic adventure, a gutsy reporter and a rugged inventor battle the elements, outlaws, and their own primal attraction in the scorching Mexican desert.

Kelly McKenna is a photojournalist with a renegade reputation—and a fearless streak that lands her in an experimental hot air balloon, flying ove
Published November 22nd 2011 by Bantam (first published December 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Bronzed Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bronzed Hawk

Zeek
The second book in this two part series, The Bronzed Hawk, went a long way in toning down the domineering ways of the first. Oh, Nick O’Brian, the hero, was still a tad overbearing, but at least the heroine, Kelly, could hold her own (Unlike the heroine in The Reluctanct Lark).

Nick and Kelly are made for each other. Adventure seekers and adrenaline junkies- from the time Kelly enters his life, and apartment, Nick’s a goner. He agrees to her request for a ride-along interview- something the inven
Joan
Jun 29, 2012 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment! Johansen's usual genre is mystery - ones that I usually enjoy. This novel was published in 1983, so I can only assume that it was a first attempt and she was just learning to write. The book was a "bodice-ripping" romance; I guess Johansen must have started in this genre and advanced later to the mysteries she is known for. This highly-formulaic romance showed the stereotypical couple who meet and immediately fall in love, each believing, however, that the love is not ...more
Amber Carreras
Oct 20, 2016 Amber Carreras rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Horrible book! I don't usually leave bad reviews, but this book was just awful. I have to admit that I am not really a fan of romance novels, but I have read quite a few that I enjoyed. In most, there is an alpha male character, in this book, he was way beyond. The main character is supposed to be a strong woman, but she seemed so weak to me. I think we were supposed to see the male character as caring but overprotective, he came of as abusive to me. He threatened to smack her, break her neck ...more
Lucia
Jun 04, 2014 Lucia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I wasted my time with this book. I don't know what made me angrier, the actual writing or the story itself. First let me say that I'm not some die hard feminist. I like a little smut just like the next person. But this was really juvenile. The "heroine" lets this man bully her and threaten her. I think Nick is a classic abuser. She should have run for the hills. I can picture her years down the road, thinking about all the warning signs she missed, (which were apparent to ...more
Anne
Dec 06, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I love most anything by Iris Johansen. I have to say I prefer her mystery suspense books. Those I can't put down and end up reading in one setting. This book disappointed me, not because it was a bad book, it was an easy, fun read, but because it wasn't as good as her other type of books. It was a straight romance, not much of a plot, ridiculous sort of love at first sight. I believe that can happen but it just seemed unreal in this book.
Clarissa
Dec 08, 2013 Clarissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book by Iris Johansen (of whom I am a huge fan) that I have ever read. Yes it was written in 1983 and for that reason I have to give it a bit of an excuse. But the heroine was whiny and wishy washy the hero was a jerk, and the entire relationship was built on constant miscomprehensions and jumping to wrong conclusions. It was really bad.
marie stephenson
Jul 14, 2016 marie stephenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful Read!

This was a surprisingly good read! It started off a little frivolous but it quickly warmed to something much richer and enjoyable. I found Nick pushy and bossy but Kelley was quite capable of checking him when necessary. I fully enjoyed this book and found it to be a pleasant surprise. Full of charm and lots of laughs.
Kiera Beddes
Apr 21, 2016 Kiera Beddes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
Oct 11, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My quest to read all of Iris Johansen's books continues. I'm glad this one wasn't stalker-ish like The Reluctant Lark, the last romance I read. I love Johansen's writing and I will continue reading the love stories, as formulaic as they are meant to be. I know the rules of writing a romance novel - lol.
Emily
Sep 04, 2014 Emily rated it did not like it
Part to the problem I had with this book might just be the time, when "women's lib" was kind of a joke. I had a lot if trouble seeing the love story, with the "hero" being overly possessive and dismissive of everything the heroine had to offer (besides her body) in every situation. It seemed like more of an abusive relationship.
Caro
Mar 04, 2012 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really liked this book. It had humor, emotions, steamy scenes, and action/suspense. I would definitely read this book again. It was written well and was a good page-turner. I couldn't wait to see what scrap was gotten into next. I liked the ending too. Enjoy
Maria
Jul 10, 2013 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was just silly and hilarious. Thirty years after it was written, it reads more like a parody of an 80s romance than an actual serious tale, showing how far our ideals have evolved when it comes to equality and expectations of romance.
Naomi Moore
I liked the overall story but due to the jealousy issues and threats of physical violence from Nick I couldn't find the romance. If this was a true life story Kelly would have been cautioned to get away from him before he made good on one of this threats.
Michelle Kasper hagerty
I have to agree with several of the other reviews. The over bearing and jealous ways are a bit much. I found a few inconsistency in Kate's character in the first part of the book that were disappointing. Overall a decent book.
Jeri
Nov 07, 2012 Jeri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was labeled as a mystery on the spine, but it must have been mislabeled. It was a romance all the way through with very little suspense or mystery. An easy read, but it isn't rated terribly high on my list.
Susan Lee Thuener
Johansson is one of my favorite authors

I am more familiar with her forensic sculpture novels but I did enjoy this one also. Since she is a prolific writer I am sure I will be reading many more of them.

Tim
Aug 21, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This Title was an excellent Romance. This title will be on either my bookshelf or in my hands being reread
Susan Reyna
I did not finish this book as it was not my kind of thing. The cover of the copy I checked out at the library was not as tell-tale as the one pictured here on Goodreads.
Jan Fall
Dec 20, 2015 Jan Fall rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not know the Harlequin side of Iris Johansen. Prefer her mysteries. But it got me from home to Little Rock
Kathy Anne
Aug 26, 2011 Kathy Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i have read mostof these windswept books of Iris`s and did not like any of them that I can remember.She definitly improved after she stopped writing them ...more
Shirla Ghadaki
I really liked this story. Of course, I have yet to be disappointed in one of Ms. Johansen's books. If you like a good romance story, then this book will satisfy that desire.
May 23, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, romance
Thought it was another of her murder mysteries, but it was a romance. Still not disappointed though!
Brianna Elsass
Very hard to believe... Interesting romance to it although at the end you wanted them to just figure it all out and stop being stupid
Barbara Ranson
Rollicking good romp

Fun read romantic good character development, I went through this very fast as it was hard to put down yes
Alice
Aug 08, 2012 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of this author's romance novels, as well as her adventure novels. I found this one kind of boring and the characters not very well developed.
Tawan Tianchaipong
Tawan Tianchaipong rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Jami Dutcher
Jami Dutcher rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
  • Rafe, The Maverick (The Shamrock Trinity, #1) (The Delaneys, #1)
  • Barenaked Jane
  • Velvet Touch
  • Date with the Devil
  • Taken by Storm
  • Future Perfect
  • Relentless Adversary
  • Desert Eden (Devereaux Family #3)
  • Lightning That Lingers
  • A Man To Slay Dragons
  • The Marchese's Love Child
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Reluctant Lark (2 books)