Start by marking “Leave Me Alone: A Tale of What Happens When You Stand Up to a Bully” as Want to Read:
Leave Me Alone: A Tale of What Happens When You Stand Up to a Bully

Leave Me Alone: A Tale of What Happens When You Stand Up to a Bully

In this sensitively told story, a little boy is feeling sad because every day he has to face a bully. But the little boy also has friends. A frog, a cat, a rabbit, a cow, and other animal friends insist on helping him, even after he tells them: "There's nothing you can do for me/ There's nothing you can say." Fortunately, he is mistaken, because the next time the bully app ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about Leave Me Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave Me Alone

Nadene Kennedy
Aug 16, 2015 Nadene Kennedy rated it really liked it
This book is about what happens when you face up to a bully. A little boy is feeling sad and frightened from being teased and bullied by a giant every day. However the little boy has friends: a fly, a frog, a robin, a cat, a rabbit, a cow and other animals who notice he is feeling sad and want to help him. They insist on helping him even after he says ‘There’s nothing you can do for me/There’s nothing you can say’. Next time the bully comes 8 voices all shout ‘LEAVE HIM ALONE’ and the bully goes ...more
Natalie Haskins
This would be good to use, whether the teacher sees bullying or not, in her class to show the importance of peers and the support system of respecting one another. Students need to be aware of social issues going on around them. This book is a bout a young boy who is bullied every day, but doesn't speak up because he does not think anyone could help him. Thankfully his friends prove him wrong! The animals stand up for what is right and save his friend from the bully. This is also a good reminder ...more
Emma
Nov 04, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it
Really liked this book and have used it as part of anti bullying week at school.
We discussed the lesson in the story and the children (aged 8) decided that like the animals in the story they need to be aware if anyone around them is upset and try to help them.
It is more about promoting awareness than to help a child who is being bullied as I agree with the review previously that noted they may feel they have no friends. The child in the book felt this way and felt no-one could help him but the
Davina
Sep 29, 2011 Davina rated it it was ok
I hate to be the naysayer here, but I can just HEAR the kid who is having this read to him because he is getting bullied say, "But I don't have any friends! I can't make them go away like the boy in this book, he has all the animal friends to stand up for him!"

One of the things about being bullied is the feeling that you don't have any friends. Therefore, what is the message in this book? That you have to have friends to stand up for you against the bullies? Um. Okay.
Gretchen
Aug 01, 2015 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
This book, along with Lion vs. Rabbit, are great for teaching the importance of not being a silent bystander when a bully appears. Sometimes just asking what's wrong isn't enough because talking about it can be hard. But if you keep your eyes open and see what's going on, you can be very powerful just by standing with a friend and saying "no" or saying that your friend is fine and important. This is a simple book but I like the discussions that could happen from it.
Samantha
Leave Me Alone: A Tale of What Happens When You Stand Up to a Bully, by Kes Gray, tells a story about a boy who struggles from being bullied. Friends offer to help him and talk with him, but he shoos them away. Finally by using their voices, they are able to work together to keep the bully away.
The Styling Librarian
Leave Me Alone – A tale of what happens when you stand up to a bully by Kes Gray and Lee Wildish – Lovely book about how to stand up to a bully… repeating phrases and a few rhymes lead you through this simple book with a powerful message. Great to share with a class and discuss how it is easier to stand up to a bully when you have friends helping you out and backing you up.
Bianca
Jan 25, 2015 Bianca rated it really liked it
This book just goes to show that friends who care are more powerful than any issue, and that you should let them help you. I feel like this is a book every school child should read, teenagers too- so they understand that bullying can be stopped and that they don't need to feel isolated and upset. Because they aren't alone and bullies can be defeated.
Olga Kilicci
Feb 22, 2015 Olga Kilicci rated it really liked it
A great little book. it encourages kids to share when they are being bullied, so they can get a little help and support.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
good
Rita Christine
Dec 19, 2015 Rita Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book of illustrations and hopeful story line. One of my daughters favs
Chris Hays
Dec 03, 2016 Chris Hays rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, read-aloud
This is a great book to show how a crowd can help instead of just being bystanders. This is good for counseling and classrooms trying to build respect. Unfortunately, there is not a resolution for the bully.
Nadia Buffa
Apr 21, 2013 Nadia Buffa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Leave Me Alone is tale of a little boy who gets picked on by a giant. Many friends within in the story try to cheer up the little boy. However, every time he is approached by one of his friends, he screams, “Leave me alone”. His friends are persistent and they try very hard to get the little boy to express his feelings. Finally, the little boy explains that his problem is a giant bully who teases and bullies him every day. The little boy is convinced no one can help him solve his bullying proble ...more
Margaret Welwood
Jan 12, 2016 Margaret Welwood rated it it was amazing
“Leave me alone,” protests our sad little protagonist. “My problem is a giant So big he blocks the sun . . . .

A giant full of nasty words, A giant huge and strong, Who casts a shadow over me As dark as it is long.”

Kes Gray put this small sad rhyme into the mouth of the little boy before the current terrorist attacks cast their black shadow, but his message of despair still rings true. And, as many other fine picture books for children do, this story offers hope. Through the compassion, courage a
Cierra Henderson
May 16, 2016 Cierra Henderson rated it it was amazing
This is a super cute book about a girl who is sad because she is being bullied and doesn't think it will ever stop. She hesitantly tells her friends who then stand up for her to the bully and force him to leave her alone forever. The illustrations are very character like and without a lot of detail. I really like this book because it shows the power of friendship and how standing up for each other is needed when we can't stand up for ourselves.
Ruth
Jan 06, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing book about bullying - I wasn't sure what audience it was aiming for and was seemingly inappropriate for both little ones and slightly older school-aged kids. Some of the rhymes made me cringe too.
Mary Raccuia
Feb 10, 2016 Mary Raccuia rated it it was amazing
Bullying is hard. This book helps young children understand how important it is to let others them help when they are being bullied. A good read for young children before and during a unit on kindness.
Tif
The illustrations are kind of cute, but all I got out of it was that if you are a giant you are unquestionably a bully.
Jann Johnson
Jann Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Carrie Gelson
Carrie Gelson rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Stephanie Enright
Stephanie Enright rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Marcie Gottlieb
Marcie Gottlieb rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2015
Kati
Kati rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017