Hover Car Racer

Hover Car Racer (Hover Car Racer #1-3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,870 ratings  ·  68 reviews
(from the website)

A SPORT LIKE NO OTHER

In the world of the near future, the most popular sport in the world is hover car racing. Superfast and dangerous, its heroes are the racers: part fighter pilot, part race-car driver, all superstar.

A BRUTAL QUALIFYING SCHOOL

But to get to the Pro Circuit, you must first pass through the International Race School, a brutal cauldron of w...more
Published 2008 by Pan Macmillan Australia (first published 2004)

Tyson Adams
I'm very tempted to give this book five stars, but I'm not sure I can give a young adult audio-book like this such a high rating.

Eleven CDs kept me entertained while I was on the road for work this week. Matthew managed to keep me wide awake despite the long drives. On many occasions I found myself holding my breath and gripping the steering wheel, hoping that Jason and The Bug were okay.

Hover Car Racer is essentially Matthew Reilly for tweens and teens. He makes sure that every teen angst and t...more
Anuj Sharma
Jun 23, 2011 Anuj Sharma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Its strange that you know how this book will end even before you start reading it but still it keeps you on the edge of your nerves. A super paced thriller which is fast even by Matthew Reilly's standards (if that is possible) You'll find yourself cheering for Jason Chaser; urging him to win race after race battling against all odds. The characters are absolutely lovable and you develop a special bond with them, especially Bug; my favorite character. The boy speaks only once in the entire book a...more
Dale
This read was okay. A good example of building tension in a story. Since it took so long to read (well, listen as an audiobook) however, I can't let it get away without mentioning a few things that really annoyed me throughout...
1. The characters names. Every time a character was introduced I would just groan. They just don't seem imaginative at all, and are more often than not a description of the person or a corruption of a real-life name.
2. The premise that the whole world is addicted to hove...more
Gabrielle
This is, without a doubt, my favorite Matthew Reilly book. It's a fantastic read and I would recommend it to anyone who loves adventure and a fast-paced plot that twists on every page!
Alexander Draganov
Furious, fast paced action, which blends the traditions of Young Adult literature with the high octane action of Formula One and "Star Wars" pod racing. Heartily recommended.
Thomas
What can I say? I love Matthew Reilly. I love racing. How much better can it get?
Sarah Kerr
Love this book-an easy, fun story... a favorite to re-read
Carys Martin
Okay, i received this book from my parents for my 16th birthday and honestly in the first week i had it i read it at least once a day. It is now throughly worn down but still loved to pieces

It is definitely his lightest book however does not lack on imagination and action. "Master Chaser' with the bug are two amazing young characters who never stop inspiring!! (Call me cheesy) but you have to love it!! Along with sally McDuff it tells an awesome tale of futuristic racing and i am now very keen...more
Phoebe
Hover Car Racer is set in a future world, where a man discovered the secret of hover flight, and gave the technology to the world for free instead of selling it. Because hover technology requires no oil or gas, such companies collapsed when the technology was made free. Hover cars can go really fast. I mean really fast - like, over 700km/h. These high speeds meant it was only a matter of time before someone wanted to race these things.

Fourteen year old Jason Chaser is a young Australian racer a...more
Ajay Venkat
Hover Car Racer is a Science Fiction, Sports, and Action novel written by Australian Matthew Reilly. This book is based in the future and is about a time when hover cars are invented. The novel, as the book title suggests, is about Hover Car Racing, a sport developed in the early 21st century. The fictional technology of hover cars relies on the magnetic field of the Earth, counter-balancing it to create an ultra-fast, new type of transport. This book starts off as being set in Australia, before...more
Ben
Sally
While more designed for teenagers than the others, this was still every bit worth the read, and as much fun as any of the others. A car race (the sort of thing I'd never normally read) with characters you instantly care for, this brilliant Aussie written another engaging action story that's every bit worth the read. No wonder he did for teenagers what JK Rowling did for younger readers. This stuff is great, even if you're not a teen.
Helen Petrovic
I’ve never met a Matthew Reilly book I didn’t like, and Hover Car Racer was no exception. This is Reilly’s offering for the teen market but still contains all his signature devices; the unbelievably skillful underdog, a dedicated team of professionals to help him, and of course, a cast of diabolical villains. He weaves a mystery into a plot which moves at the speed of the hovercars themselves – lightning fast, with endless twists and turns. Hang on and enjoy the ride.
Nicola Sheridan
This was a clear boys adventure story, and I loved it.Yes, there were a few cliche's and the reader's Scottish and Indian accents perhaps needed some work, but wow, the race scenes were gripping.

A great read/listen for those long road trips. Well recommended. :)
Aseem Achintya
Nov 28, 2012 Aseem Achintya added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Jason Chaser. Hover Car Racer.
i love the proposed technology of mag drives, but Matt missed out the fact that the Oil Magnates will still run a lot of the world. how can mag drives be made without fossil fuels for the refining processes?
anyhow
loved the book. the first time i read it, i was a wide-eyed 11 year old. fiished the damn thing in 3 and a half hours. and i've only gotten faster. Xonora's a prick, but Becker's the asshole. The stuckup, spoilt instructor who trains them is a bit weird. i...more
cathepsut
I loved all his other books. Fluff. Very entertaining, fast-paced fluff with great heroes. But what was he thinking, when he wrote this? Minimalistic plot, no substance. Just an endless narration of one race after the other. This might work well as a biweekly release on the Internet, targeted at teenagers with no attention span. But it certainly doesn't work as a book. It is just repetitive. Each chapter feels like the previous one. Fast-paced race, hero against the odds, sabotage of his car, hi...more
Steve Egger
ok book - a well worn story, so apart from the setting not much is new here.
Jillian
Awesome book. Great story, great characters. Kept me enthralled the entire time. Highly recommend this book to all ages.
Angus Mcfarlane
As was the case with the other Reilly book I've read (Ice Station), this one was fast paced - in more ways than one - and enjoyed by both me and my 8 year old daughter as we read it together. (In this respect, I would have preferred some of the language was toned down, although for a older target audience it would have been relatively mild). I enjoyed the use of an Australian setting, albeit based on, and the playful use of well known Australian identities, whether historic or alluded to. A fun...more
Chenxiaoyu
In the world of the near future, people travel everywhere in cars that hover four feet above the ground. This brilliant new technology has brought with it the http://www.obdii.co.uk/car-diagnostic-tools-c-2/kingscanner invention of a new super-fast, super-dangerous, competitive sport . . . hover car racing.

Part race-car driver, part fighter pilot, all superstar: Jason Chaser is a champion hover car racer
Ryan McArthur
Really good, exciting, a bit multi-layered, and written like a good movie. I'd love to see a movie of this, actually.
In comparison to the stig bio,I think it compares really well, and seems like real racing, though I'm surprised that there is only 3 members of each team.

I was sad at some points, and some of the tech seemed pretty dangerous, even for motor racing. The endings to the races (especially the last one!) were very inventive and I liked them a lot.
Nhi
Jan 24, 2012 Nhi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any young teenage boy
Even if you're not a teenager, or a boy, you'll love this book simply for the ride it will take you on. Pure adventurous and full of action (hover car racing to be precise).

If you have read any other of Matthew Reilly's novels, you'll be familiar with his quick paced writing and nonstop fun. This book was directed at young readers, so I recommend this to any teenage fans of cars, racing or just simply want to inspire a teen to devour a book in a day or two.
Hspence
I thought the book was really good. It is based in the future where hover car technoligy has been created. A boy called Jason and his brother the Bug race together Jason being the driver and bug the navigator. They have secured a spot at hover car racing school in Tasmania. Jason and the Bug and newly joined team member Sally the mech cheif will try to race thems self to the top even if there is some corruption at the race school.
Heather Connolly-helvie
Very different from his other well known books, which I also own & love.
This one is more of a sci-fi novel. Still has his signature fast paced action style of writing to it. I can never seem to put his books down before I realise half the night's already gone!
A must to try if you like sci-fi or just M.R. for a different type of wild ride he takes you on. Hope he expands on this side of his writing. I like it.
Edward Fedotov
This book was a great read. The detail of everything that was happening in each situation was described brilliantly. The only con of the book was that halfway through the book, it got more and more repetitive. Even though it is about racing & that in itself is repetitive, it still could've had a better storyline.
Michael Young
This is a really great book, with lots of action, adventure and even a very good story to add as well. Matthew Reilly really out does himself thsi book witha deep storyline and characters that are easily related too this book really had my on the edge of my seat at all times.
Nesha Warren
This book is so much fun! I like the fact that Matthew took his trade-mark action style and made it accessible for kids without dumbing down. The futuristic setting is close to ours so it seems like a believable reality. Worth the trip from Austrailia for this book.
Aaron Advani
A brilliant young adult novel by one of my favourite authors that I hadn't gotten around to reading.
This does not contain any of Matthew's trade mark scenes of violence but it still has his usual trade mark all out action/pace style.
Well worth the read.
Damian
I enjoyed this book so much that I read it in one sitting, and I still re-borrow it from time to time. Matthew Reilly's adrenaline-filled style of writing was an absolute page turner. I recommend this book for people who love action books and car racing.
Jasper Flierman
This novel, while aimed towards the slightly younger audience, is (I feel) of Reilly's better book as it creates a very interesting world of hover car racing, and delves quite deep and detailedly into that universe. I recommend this to all audiences.
  • The Chimera Vector (Fifth Column, #1)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Hex (Hex, #1)
  • Checkers
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)
  • Flash Flood (Code Red, #1)
  • Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Timeless (Book One: Caylin's Story)
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

More about Matthew Reilly...
Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1) The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2) Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1) Temple Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)