Start by marking “The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)

The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries #5)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  878 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Published September 5th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published February 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dolphins of Laurentum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dolphins of Laurentum

Staara
Feb 10, 2016 Staara rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what went through Caroline Lawrence's head when she wrote these books.
I still like reading about how people lived in the past, which is what makes me continue to read her books.

The characters are well by now pretty boring and predictable. The only one I find interesting is Lupus and Mordecai.
(view spoiler)
Lydia
Sep 28, 2015 Lydia rated it really liked it
So this is the most memorable book in the series for me, possibly because it was the last book in the series that I read. I think it was also my favourite though!

I enjoyed this story the most because it revolves around the backstory of my favourite character at the time, Lupus. I don't want to spoil it but I just really enjoyed finding out more about his past, his narrative and how he came to be who he is. (Particularly because he's mute and can't really tell his story orally~.)

What I find rea
Roxanne
Aug 31, 2015 Roxanne rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I seem to have skipped book 4 somehow. I did miss some pertinent plot points, but nothing too tricky, and we finally got some closure on Lupus's back story. Glad this one was not so focused on Flavia.
Ashani Waidyatillake
Apr 09, 2015 Ashani Waidyatillake rated it it was amazing
I think this book is aweeeeeeesomeeeee!!!!!!!! IT IS PROBABALY THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!! THIS BOOK IS ABOUT LUPUS MAINLY AND HE IS ABOUT THE GO DEEP WATER DIVING TO GET THE BIGGEST TREASURE THAT HAS EVER BEEN FOUND IN ROME! THAN SUNDDENLY A BIG EMO COMES AND FLAVIA TRIES TO SCARE IT OF WHILE JONATHAN AND NUBIA ARE GOING INTO THE SEWERS OF THE MEAT MARKET TO FIND FRESH MAGGOTS FOR FLAVIA'S SICK FATHER'S LEGS.THE SLAVE TRADER, OMPIELLA IS TRYING TO SELL FREE BORN CHILDREN ...more
Matilda
Flavia's father is in danger of losing his house and possessions. He is deeply in debt and can't afford to rent the house any more. Flavia, Jonathan and Nubia persuade Lupus to dive for treasure to pay off the debt, with the help of Aristo, their tutor. The four young detectives have fun riding dolphins and swimming in the cool water of the sea and relaxing under the dazzling heat of the sun.

In the end, Flavia sells her most treasured possession to Pliny the Younger, Admiral Pliny's nephew (Admi
Mary
May 09, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Roman mysteries for children by Lawrence. This one concerns little Lupus, not yet nine years old, and how he came to be mute and obsessed by revenge. The plot is beautifully worked out and made me cry (not that that's difficult!) I think this is the best of a solid series: it tackles themes of loss, love, vengeance, and forgiveness, which are naturally and fluidly handled in the plot. No lectures here! Just characters making decisions and living with the consequences.

This wou
Jon
Jan 26, 2012 Jon rated it liked it
The fifth in the Roman mystery series involving 10-year-old Flavia Gemina and her three friends. In this one they need to save her father's house from being confiscated by creditors (fairly timely these days), try to wreak vengeance on a hated slave-trader, and dive for sunken treasure. Oh, and if that's not enough, there are kindly, helpful dolphins. I giggled along with the children when I learned that the Latin word for a sponge- or pearl-diver is urinator. (I looked it up, and it really is.) ...more
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The cover appealed to me
Shelves: childrens
I think this is the best of the series and simply because it fully explains Lupus's past and there are a lot of twists in the plot that make this book exciting and fast-paced.

I was shocked to learn about Lupus's diving skills and how determined me was to get money to hire an assassin to kill the slave trader who muted him. It made the story very dark with all the money issues going on with everyone and Nubia seeing her slave brother in chains, sold to be a gladiator. I also loved that Flavia gav
Philyra
Aug 29, 2013 Philyra rated it really liked it
The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) by Caroline Lawrence

The Dolphins at Laurentum Book Review 2013

I thought the Dolphins at Laurentum is a very good book.
It is the fifth of the series called The Roman mysteries, by Caroline Lawrence.

There are four main characters,
Flavia Gemina, a wealthy sea captain's daughter, and her friends:
Jonathan Ben Mordecai, son of the best doctor in Ostia,
Nubia, a former slave, set free by Flavia,
Lupus, a former beggar boy who had his tongue cut out.

The story revolves around two things: Lupus' past, and his revenge.

The b
Jonathan
Apr 27, 2013 Jonathan rated it liked it
In Caroline Lawrence's "The Dolphins of Laurentum" we follow the adventures of four young friends: Flavia, Jonathan, Lupus and Nubia in the world of ancient Rome. When Flavia's family is in danger of loosing their house they travel to a seaside villa where the four friends discover a sunken ship full of treasure. It could be the answer to their problems. As the story continues they also begin to discover more about Lupus's tragic past and how he became a mute orphan.

This book is an enjoyable sto
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing
Dieser Band gehört zu denen, die nicht verfilmt wurden, warum auch immer.
Falvia hatte einen Traum in welchem Herkules ihr sagt, sie solle seine 12 Taten erfüllen um ihre Schuld zu sühnen, und so machen sich die vier Freunde auf, anhand der 12 Taten des Herkules mehr über Cartilia Paula herauszufinden.
Dieser Band ist einTi sehr hübsch aufgebaute Detektivgeschichte und man bekommt einen teferen Einblick in Falvias und Marcus Gefühlsleben.
In diesem Band erfährt man viel über das römische Winterfest
Akira Shizuku
Jun 17, 2016 Akira Shizuku rated it it was amazing
Caz
Mar 14, 2014 Caz rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these short stories and this one reminds me of the TV series so much. If you want to know more about the greek and their values then this book is for you
Ujwals
Nov 24, 2013 Ujwals rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. The best thing about it was the authentic description of Roman life. It described all the streets, food, culture and daily life thoroughly, because to us, this is a very different world. I also liked how the author used real people from that time as characters, and real events that happened at that time as events in the book. The author really kept up with the characters, and never gave me the feeling that I was not in ancient Rome. The only disadvantage of the book was tha ...more
Abby Riches
This is a really educational but good book with interesting characters
Emily
Sep 06, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
So much undying love for this series. Aristo! Nubia! Jonathan! :D :D <3 <3 <3
Heather
A slightly more adult theme to this book.
Emily
Aug 11, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, mystery
I was reading this library book to Rose, and was so intrigued I had to finish it on my own tonight. I don't know how or why she chose it, but I was a little concerned it might be too heavy for an eight year old. But now that I finished it, I am very impressed with the author's style. And yes it is heavy and a bit gory at times (one character is nine years old and had his tongue cut out) but so sympathetic that I am thrilled to finish it with my daughter. I think Ivy and Abby would enjoy all the ...more
Emilie Spence
Jun 18, 2013 Emilie Spence rated it it was amazing
In the fifth volume of the popular series of historical mysteries, a ragged stranger and the prospect of losing her family's fortune lead Flavia Gemina and her friends, Jonathan, Lupus, and Nubia to a seaside villa. There, they discover a shipwreck and sunken treasure--and that someone else is after the treasure, too. As they solve the riddle of the wreck, the four friends also stumble acorss the terrible mystery of Lupus's past.
Georgina Ortiz
Aug 20, 2013 Georgina Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Four words: Greek myths, dolphins, forgiveness.

I say the book was amazing because it made me cry. All the while I was thinking of L. B. Smedes' quote: "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you."

I'm glad that I didn't have to go far into the series before giving one of its books a five-star rating. This book proves that The Roman Mysteries is not just any children's series.
Vicki Cline
Jul 17, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman-mysteries
Flavia's father staggers home after being shipwrecked and losing his entire cargo. Unless something can be done, everything they own will be taken to settle their debts. Pliny the Younger (whom they met during Vesuvius' eruption) invites the whole gang to his estate at Laurentum, where they try to recover a sunken treasure. We also learn why Lupus had his tongue cut out. Action-packed, as usual.
Mrs. Roy
Jul 10, 2009 Mrs. Roy rated it it was amazing
About to start this one...can't wait. I hope to find out how Lupus' tongue was cut off soon!!

The focus on Lupus was a refreshing change of plot, and I did indeed find out about his tongue. The true story was far more horrifying than anything I could have dreamed up. Whew!

I LOVED the focus on forgiveness, and the dolphins - nice touch... My favorite in the series so far and by far.
Rico
May 12, 2016 Rico rated it really liked it
Beause it was written in old english there were a lot of difficult words in it. That is also a challenge for you to read. That way you can learn a lot of new words. The book get's exciting in the end but in the beginning it's a bit boring. Overall I thought it was a good book to read.
Rachel S.
Apr 27, 2008 Rachel S. rated it it was amazing
in this AMASING BOOK!
Flavia's dad is ship wrecked and her house is taken away and she and her friends go live with Plinie (the elder) who they saved from drounding earlier!

on top of that Loupus has made a vow to avenge his father and kill his uncle who murdered him!
Ghoti
Jul 23, 2007 Ghoti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes childrens historical fiction
This is the best of the Roman Mysteries so far - I love the mystery aspects, and historical setting, of all of them, but this one has such nuances of character, its such a delicate story told so well, that it is definitely my favourite of the first five.
Diana Sandberg
Nov 11, 2009 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it
Liking these stories better and better. Lawrence really does a very good job of these. Loved the dolphins, also the conflict between vengeance and forgiveness.
Leo
Dec 01, 2008 Leo rated it liked it
It's cool, but it gets freaky. Don't read this if you mind a little goriness (not too much, but just a little).
Brett
Feb 20, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
Continues to be interesting & entertaining. This book focuses on the history of the character Lupus.
Vicky
Jul 06, 2010 Vicky rated it really liked it
an exciting adventure that tells you just what it was like in ancient rome!
John-Paul Flintoff

• The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • Crusade
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2)
  • The Ruthless Romans
  • Those Dreadful Children
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Sun Horse, Moon Horse
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Sirens of Surrentum (The Roman Mysteries, #11)