Start by marking “The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)

The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries #5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  666 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published September 5th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published February 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dolphins of Laurentum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dolphins of Laurentum

Mary
My favorite of the Roman mysteries for children by Lawrence. This one concerns little Lupus, not yet nine years old, and how he came to be mute and obsessed by revenge. The plot is beautifully worked out and made me cry (not that that's difficult!) I think this is the best of a solid series: it tackles themes of loss, love, vengeance, and forgiveness, which are naturally and fluidly handled in the plot. No lectures here! Just characters making decisions and living with the consequences.

This wou...more
Jon
The fifth in the Roman mystery series involving 10-year-old Flavia Gemina and her three friends. In this one they need to save her father's house from being confiscated by creditors (fairly timely these days), try to wreak vengeance on a hated slave-trader, and dive for sunken treasure. Oh, and if that's not enough, there are kindly, helpful dolphins. I giggled along with the children when I learned that the Latin word for a sponge- or pearl-diver is urinator. (I looked it up, and it really is.)...more
Leah
Jul 11, 2013 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The cover appealed to me
I think this is the best of the series and simply because it fully explains Lupus's past and there are a lot of twists in the plot that make this book exciting and fast-paced.

I was shocked to learn about Lupus's diving skills and how determined me was to get money to hire an assassin to kill the slave trader who muted him. It made the story very dark with all the money issues going on with everyone and Nubia seeing her slave brother in chains, sold to be a gladiator. I also loved that Flavia gav...more
Philyra
The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) by Caroline Lawrence

The Dolphins at Laurentum Book Review 2013

I thought the Dolphins at Laurentum is a very good book.
It is the fifth of the series called The Roman mysteries, by Caroline Lawrence.

There are four main characters,
Flavia Gemina, a wealthy sea captain's daughter, and her friends:
Jonathan Ben Mordecai, son of the best doctor in Ostia,
Nubia, a former slave, set free by Flavia,
Lupus, a former beggar boy who had his tongue cut out.

The story revolves around two things: Lupus' past, and his revenge.

The b...more
Jonathan
In Caroline Lawrence's "The Dolphins of Laurentum" we follow the adventures of four young friends: Flavia, Jonathan, Lupus and Nubia in the world of ancient Rome. When Flavia's family is in danger of loosing their house they travel to a seaside villa where the four friends discover a sunken ship full of treasure. It could be the answer to their problems. As the story continues they also begin to discover more about Lupus's tragic past and how he became a mute orphan.

This book is an enjoyable sto...more
sabisteb
Dieser Band gehört zu denen, die nicht verfilmt wurden, warum auch immer.
Falvia hatte einen Traum in welchem Herkules ihr sagt, sie solle seine 12 Taten erfüllen um ihre Schuld zu sühnen, und so machen sich die vier Freunde auf, anhand der 12 Taten des Herkules mehr über Cartilia Paula herauszufinden.
Dieser Band ist einTi sehr hübsch aufgebaute Detektivgeschichte und man bekommt einen teferen Einblick in Falvias und Marcus Gefühlsleben.
In diesem Band erfährt man viel über das römische Winterfest...more
Caz
I really enjoy these short stories and this one reminds me of the TV series so much. If you want to know more about the greek and their values then this book is for you
Ujwals
This was a good book. The best thing about it was the authentic description of Roman life. It described all the streets, food, culture and daily life thoroughly, because to us, this is a very different world. I also liked how the author used real people from that time as characters, and real events that happened at that time as events in the book. The author really kept up with the characters, and never gave me the feeling that I was not in ancient Rome. The only disadvantage of the book was tha...more
Abby Riches
This is a really educational but good book with interesting characters
Heather
A slightly more adult theme to this book.
Emily
I was reading this library book to Rose, and was so intrigued I had to finish it on my own tonight. I don't know how or why she chose it, but I was a little concerned it might be too heavy for an eight year old. But now that I finished it, I am very impressed with the author's style. And yes it is heavy and a bit gory at times (one character is nine years old and had his tongue cut out) but so sympathetic that I am thrilled to finish it with my daughter. I think Ivy and Abby would enjoy all the...more
Emilie Spence
In the fifth volume of the popular series of historical mysteries, a ragged stranger and the prospect of losing her family's fortune lead Flavia Gemina and her friends, Jonathan, Lupus, and Nubia to a seaside villa. There, they discover a shipwreck and sunken treasure--and that someone else is after the treasure, too. As they solve the riddle of the wreck, the four friends also stumble acorss the terrible mystery of Lupus's past.
Georgina Ortiz
Four words: Greek myths, dolphins, forgiveness.

I say the book was amazing because it made me cry. All the while I was thinking of L. B. Smedes' quote: "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you."

I'm glad that I didn't have to go far into the series before giving one of its books a five-star rating. This book proves that The Roman Mysteries is not just any children's series.
Vicki Cline
Flavia's father staggers home after being shipwrecked and losing his entire cargo. Unless something can be done, everything they own will be taken to settle their debts. Pliny the Younger (whom they met during Vesuvius' eruption) invites the whole gang to his estate at Laurentum, where they try to recover a sunken treasure. We also learn why Lupus had his tongue cut out. Action-packed, as usual.
Mrs. Roy
About to start this one...can't wait. I hope to find out how Lupus' tongue was cut off soon!!

The focus on Lupus was a refreshing change of plot, and I did indeed find out about his tongue. The true story was far more horrifying than anything I could have dreamed up. Whew!

I LOVED the focus on forgiveness, and the dolphins - nice touch... My favorite in the series so far and by far.
Rachel S.
in this AMASING BOOK!
Flavia's dad is ship wrecked and her house is taken away and she and her friends go live with Plinie (the elder) who they saved from drounding earlier!

on top of that Loupus has made a vow to avenge his father and kill his uncle who murdered him!
Ghoti
Jul 23, 2007 Ghoti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes childrens historical fiction
This is the best of the Roman Mysteries so far - I love the mystery aspects, and historical setting, of all of them, but this one has such nuances of character, its such a delicate story told so well, that it is definitely my favourite of the first five.
Diana Sandberg
Liking these stories better and better. Lawrence really does a very good job of these. Loved the dolphins, also the conflict between vengeance and forgiveness.
Leo
It's cool, but it gets freaky. Don't read this if you mind a little goriness (not too much, but just a little).
Brett
Continues to be interesting & entertaining. This book focuses on the history of the character Lupus.
Vicky
an exciting adventure that tells you just what it was like in ancient rome!
John-Paul Flintoff

REVIEW BY MY DAUGHTER N.: this one is my FAVORITE
Magda
Strangely, I found less to like and less to dislike in this book.
Hannah
Good story about forgiveness and friends.
Roy
Delightful read, very entertaining.
Lily Green
Lily Green marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jimmy Williams
Jimmy Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Exile (Lady Grace Mysteries, #5)
  • Victorian Workhouse: The Diary of Edith Lorrimer, England, 1871
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Kaspar: Prince of Cats
  • The Ruthless Romans
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • I Am the Great Horse
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician)
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2) The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4) The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)