Start by marking “Learning to Love: Sugar and Spice\Love by Degree” as Want to Read:
Learning to Love: Sugar and Spice\Love by Degree

Learning to Love: Sugar and Spice\Love by Degree

Sugar and Spice

Librarian Jayne Gilbert needs a man—a man she can bring to her high school reunion. She wants to prove to her former classmates that she isn't the lonely bookworm they predicted she'd become. So, naturally, Jayne turns to a book. It's called How to Pick Up a Man. And it works, even if she attracts the attention of good-looking Riley Chambers only because she
Published November 22nd 2011 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Love

♡Ann  Matalines♡
You tie me up in knots a sailor couldn't undo

This was unexpected and refreshing from Debbie Macomber. I was used from the way she writes about harsh reality of life that this was shocking. It felt like a real romance story, a mid-step between historical romance and modern one.

"What happened?" Ellen was almost afraid to ask.
"Nothing much. Derek forgot to turn off the burner and the fat caught fire. Then he tried to beat it out with a dish towel, but that burst into flames, too. The real mistak
Jill
Feb 13, 2017 Jill rated it liked it
Both of these stories were cute and funny. Found myself shaking my head and chuckling just a little at each one.
Amber
May 10, 2017 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Very short stories, very quick read the stories were cute. The author make you invest in the story and the people.
Jenifer
Feb 12, 2015 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Two little stories that I found I couldn't stop reading.

Sugar and Spice was a funny story with a bit of a mysterious element to it.

Librarian Jayne Gilbert is looking for a man to take to her high school reunion. Naturally Jayne turns to books to solve her problem, but she never thought it would actually work. It does work, but it's her neighbor Riley Chambers she attracts and not even because she was following the books advice, only because she was carrying the book. The only question is, who i
Cas H.
Aug 02, 2013 Cas H. rated it liked it
Learning to Love by Debbie Macomber has two individual stories, each 150 pages long published under one title, which is, Learning to Love. The first of these two stories is about a lovely repressed librarian who is worried that her friends from high school will think she is a failure, or exactly what they predicted, when she comes to their ten year class reunion without a husband, or even a boyfriend. She decides that she needs to find someone, even if she has to pay them to go to the dance with ...more
Char (1RadReader59)
Jan 10, 2012 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed both stories. "Sugar and Spice was about a shy mousie Librarian who actively looking for a date for her high school reunion. She is desperate to find one since she went to an all girls school & you know how catty girls can be in high school. Well, she happens to run into her surly neighbour in the elevatorwho make her feel less then after she had seen him at a seedy bar that she thought she would try some technical moves she read in a how to me a man book. Of course she nev ...more
Denise
Jan 14, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Another book that Debbie has combined two of her older works. I find this a little annoying, especially if you don't realize it and then you get home and read the back cover more closely and then say "oh, crap, I've already read (one or both of) these". Fortunately I had not read either of the stories included in the book so I was good to go.

This book combines Sugar And Spice and Love By Degree. Both were good reads and I liked the characters a lot. In Sugar and Spice the main character is a lib
Nancy
Jan 22, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
In the first story, Sugar and Spice, Jayne is a stereotypical children's librarian looking for a date to her ten year high school reunion. She becomes friends with Riley, a mysterious neighbor, who agrees to be her date for the reunion. Misunderstandings, mishaps, and mystery occur before the final happy ending.

In the second story, Love by Degree, Ellen is an older college student playing house mother to three freshman boys. In exchange for cooking and other house hold tasks, she receives a cut
April Suter
Dec 01, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it
Two oldies but goodies of Debbies: Sugar and Spic--Jayne, a children's librarian, needs a date for her reunion so she reads all the books to teach her how to attract a guy. The guy she really wants to avoid is this standoffish Riley, who lives in her building, but he keeps showing up and distracts her from finding anyone else. So what is his real story...did he really go on a fishing trip?
Love by Degree: Ellen moves in a large house with a bunch of college guys. It suits her perfect, she's older
Patricia Solla
Dec 28, 2011 Patricia Solla rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Once again a reissue of two of the author's older stories. Since I hadn't read them it was an enjoyable read. The first story is about a woman who needs a man to take to her high school reunion. The romance involves how she decides to try and find that man and who she actually finds. In the second story a young woman has finally found the time to go to college, after helping her family with their lives after the death of her father. The romance involves where she finds to live to attend school a ...more
Lisa Beckelhimer
Sep 22, 2015 Lisa Beckelhimer rated it it was ok
While I usually love anything by this author, I just couldn't stomach these two stories. I hesitate to give the book/collection one star because that seems so harsh. But two is probably generous. Characters are flat. Dialogue is stilted. Stories show little to no progression and/or are predictable. What drove me nuts most of all was how the characters in both stories bickered endlessly. I wanted to yell at them to wake up and stop arguing over the same old thing time after time. Not an enjoyable ...more
Lisa
May 24, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
"Sugar and Spice" - a cute story, but a bit too stereotypical for my taste. When Jayne takes down the bad guy with a high kick she learned from a book, it seemed a bit unrealistic....she also ruined an entire sting operation to convict a mobster. Riley and Jayne also seem to go from hating each other to close friends fairly quickly...you would think they would spend more time warming to each other.

Overall, a nice clean romance without a lot of unnecessary sex details! One of Debbie Macomber's fi
Hopelessromantic500
So far I've only read the first of the two novels bound in this book. Sugar and Spice is a very good book. Apart from the parts where I'm so confused I don't have any idea what happened, even durring the recap a few pages later. Oher than that, and the unrealistic fights, it's prety good. I advise (if you have a tolerance for skipping a few paragraphs here and there, when the words might as well be jibberish)that you read this book. Happy reading, and good luck understanding chapters 3-4.
Virginia Markhart
Aug 21, 2015 Virginia Markhart rated it it was ok
Ugh. Can't believe I read the whole thing. It was just dumb. I usually really like Debbie Macomber. Not this time. I do appreciate a book that I can read without a bunch of mooshy sexy crap. Usually. But this two-book novel was just awful. Seemed like none of the issues between the two main couples were ever resolved before the ending which was oh, so , predictable. Nah....can't go beyond a two on this one.
Kristi
Apr 25, 2013 Kristi rated it it was amazing
My husbands grandma gave me this book, and I love Debbie's books. They always make me smile. And sometimes put me on edge. I always feel good while reading them. These books there are 2 in the book. They were both so good. The first one was so good, by the end it put me on edge. The 2nd book didnt put me on edge but it was a great read. I highly recommend this book. If you have never read a Debbie Macomber book.
Maura
Mar 11, 2013 Maura rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, new
Wanted to try this author out. The writing was good and the stories were okay. I'm still on the fence if I would read anymore by this author. I'm looking for a "new to me" author with a big back list that will be like Xmas is July! I certainly see many of her titles at every used book store. Keeping an open mind.
Ellen
May 30, 2012 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Honestly, I only read this book because: 1) The female lead in the first book sounded a lot like me. 2) The female lead in the second book shares my first name. 3) We got this book out of the library for my grandma and honestly, I tend to read whatever chick-lit comes my way as escapism. An okay book, but nothing I'll pick up to read again.
Senator
Aug 11, 2012 Senator rated it liked it
Two easy reads in one book. Perfect for that summer afternoon by the pool or beach, or just relaxing on the couch when you need an escape from reality. The two matches have a lovely set-up, however, fall short and crumble towards the end. The overuse of possible "cheating," jealousy, and child-like snits that could all be resolved oh so easily if they just TALKED becomes tedious.
Joy Gerbode
Feb 05, 2013 Joy Gerbode rated it really liked it
Another couple of general romances, very simple, easy reading, fun falling in love. I always enjoy Debbie Macomber ... without being "religious" she still isn't at all smutty, and I appreciate that. And she writes about a lot of places that I have been, including this book which takes place a lot in Seattle area.
Sheneca
Feb 10, 2016 Sheneca rated it it was ok
I read the first book and I must say, I'm totally disappointed in Debbie Macomber. She's one of my favorite authors but this book was a mess. The heroine behaved like a child , constantly crying and Riley often has to reassure her of his love. Riley, on the other hand, was a darling. I won't mind finding someone like him . He's incredibly yummy! Lol.
Lavada Dee
Dec 02, 2011 Lavada Dee rated it it was amazing
This isn't a fiction book but Debbie Macomber is a story teller through and through and weaves true stories into a inspiring motivational book that made me think and be thankful for the wonderful life god has allowed me.
Courtney Moulton
Nov 03, 2012 Courtney Moulton rated it it was amazing
This book has to wonderful stories about finding love in the last place you expect it. I enjoyed this book because of the challenges the characters had to overcome in order to see what love they had. I highly recommend.
Barbi
May 20, 2013 Barbi rated it it was amazing
What a sweet book! I loved the 2 stories in here and had trouble stopping the book. The author definitely knows how to suck you into a book with such likable characters. She even takes the time to fully describe the minor characters. Thank you for such a wonderful, lighthearted read!
Alysha
Jun 25, 2012 Alysha rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I can tell these are two of Debbie's early works. I enjoyed the stories but they seemed slightly drawn out. There just wasnt enought story to me. However, I enjoy reading Debbie's novels and I look forward to another read of hers.
Beth Pearson
May 23, 2012 Beth Pearson rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-clean
There is nothing like a fluffy romance to offer a mindless escape! This Two books in one consists of "Sugar and Spice" and "Love by Degree". they are 2 books written early in McComber's career and republished in 2011. Both stories are quick & easy and no bad language or sex.
Moey17
Jul 10, 2012 Moey17 rated it liked it
1st story was trite, 2nd was lovely!
Mel
Jul 18, 2012 Mel rated it did not like it
BLEGH! Awful awful awful read. I realise it is a short story romance book, but c'mon, it's not any way believable or likeable. Icky.
Linda Klages
Jul 13, 2016 Linda Klages rated it liked it
Easy to read, interesting, happy endings - enjoy reading this author
Catherine Aubie
Apr 18, 2012 Catherine Aubie rated it it was amazing
Both stories in this book were easy to read and relate to the characters. A few twists and turns in Love by Degree had me not wanting to put the book down.
Marie Buccellato
Sep 06, 2015 Marie Buccellato rated it liked it
Both stories were very predictable & a little slow reading. I'm a HUGE fan of Debbie Macomber but this was not one of my favorites
  • Making Spirits Bright
  • Tea and Destiny: Tea and Destiny\Light the Stars
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • The Gift: Home for Christmas / All I Want for Christmas / Gabriel's Angel
  • Cowboy at Midnight (Fortunes of Texas: Reunion #1)
  • The Lighthouse Brides Collection: 6 Romances Develop at Historic Light Stations
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Rancher's Refuge (Whisper Falls, #1)
  • A Wedding in Valentine (Valentine Valley, #2.5)
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • Nice & Naughty (The Trilogy Collection, #2)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...