Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)

Snakehead (The China Thrillers #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In this fourth of Peter May's acclaimed China Thrillers, American pathologist Margaret Campbell is faced with a truck full of dead Chinese immigrants and an unavoidable confrontation with her past. Beijing detective Li Yan, now based at the Chinese embassy in Washington, is dispatched to find out how his fellow countrymen suffocated in a sealed refrigeration unit in southe...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published February 18th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 2002)

Lorin Lee Cary
Number 4 in the series. Stars the same protagonists who captured my attention in the first 3, Margaret and Li. Their on-off romance persists, now in the US, where she is based in Houston and he in DC. Illegal Chinese immigrants entering via Mexico reunite them in what at times seems like a medical thriller. Whether it's the different terrain or something else, this tale disappointed me. And although in retrospect I see that the author laid out clues as to the solution, I found the ending a bit w...more
Carol Carlson
One of the best in the series-this is the fourth. Both Elizabeth and Li are believable characters. It's scary to think something like this might actually happen. Unfortunately, I think it could turn out to be true. There were a few plot elements that were predictable--Steve and getting the flu was very obvious, and Li meeting up with his sister. I'm not sure her daughter would be so quick to forgive, but I know the mother-daughter bond can be strong. Mendez was a little too much, but I Fuller wa...more
Cluessister Williams
While I didn't get into the character of the protagonists as much as I wanted to, but I did think that the relationship between the Houston ME and her Chinese law enforcement lover was a novel one. The biomedical plot twisted in fascinating ways and I was on the edge of my seat to find out what the food trigger was that would release a pandemic virus. I also enjoyed the action and description at Minute Maid park, a great location for a confrontation - just ask the Astros.
Lis
I am kind of tired of this series. Margaret and Li Yan are always angry at each other, not speaking, yet in love and certain that they can't make a life together. The relationship never moves on past that. The actual mystery/crime differs from book to book and in this one the threat is horrendous (and by the end of the book we don't really see a resolution.)
Kathleen
This fourth book in May's China series switches the setting to the USA, causing the book to lose some of its appeal for me. It was very consistent w/earlier books in the series as far as plot development and figuring out who the bad guys were and as usual w/May the coincidences certainly pile up.
AmblingBooks
Aug 17, 2012 AmblingBooks marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
"[F]ast, exciting....[A] highly topical and entertaining read that will also give food for thought." � Irish Times

Listen to Snakehead on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Carine
Un autre excellent épisode de la série chinoise de Peter May. Cette fois, l'action se déplace aux États-Unis où Margaret et Li Yan sont à nouveau réunis pour résoudre une affaire sordide d'immigrants clandestins. J'ai très très hâte de lire la suite.
Nicki
I think this is my favourite in the series so far. It was the very plausible story that had me hooked from the start. I'm used to the main characters too with their on/off relationship. I definitely need to read the next book soon.
Carolyn Rose
There's plenty of action in this book and a lot at stake in terms of the Spanish flu virus carried unknowingly into the U.S. by illegal Chinese immigrants, but I just couldn't connect to the characters on the level I hoped to.
Lois
I've missed one or two in this series. Good writing.

This one deals with people movers, with a dose of bioterrorism thrown in which took it up a notch from other mysteries I've read dealing with this topic.
Anne
The Fourth in the China series featuring Dr. Margaret Campbell and Li Yan takes place in the United States. Someone is injecting illegal Chinese with a biological time bomb that threatens to wipe out all mankind.
Ann
While I'm getting tired of every book starting with angst between Li and Margaret (seriously highschoolers communicate better than they do), The book still captured my attention with a great plot.
Rosemary
part of the China Thriller series, but this one was set in Texas. The premise is a bit scary-because there's too much possibility, but it was a good read.
Gerald
Good read, but too much description for my taste. Ignore all that wordy stuff and you have a much better read, at least I did.
Josh
The book was excellent, as are all of Peter May's books. Mor to come in the review tomorrow.
Phil
Phil is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Peter Batho
Peter Batho marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy, #2) The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3) The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1) Entry Island