Start by marking “The Man From St Petersburg” as Want to Read:
The Man From St Petersburg

The Man From St Petersburg

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  15,430 Ratings  ·  691 Reviews
His name was Feliks. He came to London to commit a murder that would change history. Against him were the English police, a brilliant and powerful lord, and the young Winston Churchill himself. But the man from St Petersburg was unstoppable.
Published June 11th 2011 by Pan Books (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Man From St Petersburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man From St Petersburg

Alexw
Jan 14, 2016 Alexw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follett strikes again with another winner and he seems to favor this time period around World War 1 where this book time period is as was his masterpiece of Fall of Giants. Another 5 star rating for thrill, suspense, intriguing dialogue and historical characters( a young Winston Churchill)
Daniel Bastian
Aug 24, 2012 Daniel Bastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ken Follett spares not an ounce of genius in bringing his characters to life and weaving them together in electrifying narrative. His artistry is one that burdens the reader with sorting the protagonists from the antagonists, enriching each character's complexion and back story with such brio that you may just end up pulling for the whole lot to triumph as the novel winds to a close.

The Man From St. Petersburg is of course no exception, with Follett's tried and true, World War era-themed cat and
Conta-me Histórias
Brilhante. Fantástico. Esplêndido. Maravilhoso. Uma obra-prima!
Adorei este livro que me fez lembrar os clássicos russos, quer pela história quer pelo brilhantismo da escrita. Durante a leitura não me saiu da memória Anna Karenine de Tolstoi, romance ao qual este se assemelha, sendo no entanto bem diferente.
Lydia, uma jovem aristocrata russa apaixona-se por Feliks, um jovem anarquista, mas a sua paixão é descoberta e o pai da rapariga enreda uma forma de os afastar de forma definitiva e drástica.
Corey
Jul 21, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Ken Follett! It takes a great writer to put history, suspense, psychological, and some romance into one book, and Follett is one of those great writers!

The Man From St. Petersburg takes place in London, England in the early 1900's right before the start of the First World War. A mysterious man named Feliks travels to London to kill a man and change history. But when plotting the demise he comes face to face with a woman he had an affair with years ago, who is now the wife of a
Ryan Butler
It was really good most of the time I couldn't stop reading the book. it was very suspenseful. It seemed like I couldn't read fast enough because I wanted to see what was coming next so bad. Also the cleverness and craziness of Feliks was making me smile a lot. He just always seemed to find the way out. The book got really interesting when Feliks found out two of his supposed to be family members were in the family of the person he was trying to assassinate. The whole structure of the book was ...more
Ray Ziemer
May 08, 2012 Ray Ziemer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this period thriller by Ken Follett. It fit right in with reading I've been doing on both Russia and WWI. Some of the plot details are a little fantastic, but because it's FOllett and he keeps things moving, the reader doesn't really have much time to sit and think about that. You just want to turn the page, read the next chapter, find out what happens next. What a talent!

He Sketches out some pretty good characters, not the least of whom is the anarchist Feliks, on a mission to assassin
Nandakishore Varma
As I watched various vignettes of the Women's March on Washington yesterday, and saw some really objectionable historical posters making fun of the suffragette movement, I was reminded of this novel. When I read it back in the early eighties, I did not like it as much as his earlier thrillers because the suspense factor was muted. But looking back, I think this may be one of his better novels with excellent characterisation and human drama. Charlotte, the elder daughter of Lord and Lady Walden ...more
Filipa
aqui

Ken Follett é um dos grandes nomes do thriller e do romance histórico. Em qualquer destes dois géneros literários, o autor dá cartas com os seus livros cheios de acção e com informação histórica precisa e em abundância. A forma como ele mistura o facto com a ficção é também um dos seus grandes talentos. Pegando nos relatos históricos e naquilo que é conhecido, o autor pega em personagens fictícios e insere-os no universo histórico sem qualquer dificuldade, ao ponto de o leitor chegar a pensa
Chandler
Ken Follett is a a prolific writer--not as prolific as James Patterson, but pretty close. Although prolific, Follett does not miss details or historical minutia. In this book, the Earl of Walden is convinced by Winston Churchill and King George to broker an alliance with Russia in 1914. Germany is creating swords out of plowshares and war appears eminent. It is crucial that Russia align itself with England.

The Earl of Walden's wife is from Russian aristocracy and her past is linked with a Russia
Megan
Mar 27, 2011 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year i read Pillars of the Earth, by Follett. I found that book to be somewhat course, but overall entirely captivating. It was a massive book, but i still managed to remain interested through the length of it. Someday i am going to read the sequel to that book. While looking for said sequel i happened upon this book, which was intriguing by virtue of being by an author i knew i found interesting, and by virtue of hitting on topics that draw my attention - Russia and political intrigue/spyi ...more
Breaux
Jul 24, 2012 Breaux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as I have all of Folletts books I've read. I wouldn't call it literature, but its not pop trash either. Something in between. Follet gives the reader what the reader wants. Its fast paced, character driven, scandalous, juicy. This is the first of his earlier works I've read, and I liked the straightforwardness of it. The simplicity. I'm reading "How to Write a Blockbuster Novel" by Follett's editor, Al Zuckerman, and in that book, Zuckerman includes four complete drafts of th ...more
Riyad
Jun 20, 2016 Riyad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016, library
কেন ফলেটের অসাধারন লেখনী আর শেখ আবদুল হাকিমের চমৎকার অনুবাদে পড়লাম 'দয মযান ফরম সেনট পিটাসবারগ' এর বাংলা অনুবাদ 'আততায়ী'। সতযি বলতে, মূল বইয়ের চেয়ে বাংলা বইয়ের নামটাই কাহিনীর সাথে বেশি সঙগত মনে হয়েছে। পড়ার মাঝে মাঝেই মনে হয়েছে এতো সাবলীল অনুবাদ কিভাবে সমভব?
পরথম বিশবযুদধ কড়া নাড়ছে দরজায়। নিজের সবারথেই রাশিয়াকে পরয়োজন ইংলযানডের। রাশিয়া যুদধে সামিল হলে এতে পরিসথিতির সবীকার হবে রাশিয়ার নিরীহ জনগন, অনযায় ভাবে যুদধ চাপিয়ে দেয়া হবে তাদের উপর। কিনতু রুশ কূটনীতিককে খুন করলে রাশিয়ায় বিপলব ঘটবে বলে বিশবাস
Mariel Zani Begoña
3.5

I really enjoyed this book. It was super interesting though sadly I didn't love it as I was expecting to do so

Me gustó bastante este libro. Fue super interesante aunque lamentablemente no lo amé como esperaba
Dwayne
Dec 27, 2009 Dwayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravo.

Have you ever found yourself rooting for an assassin? Well, fasten your seatbelts.

Follett has created a wonderful character in Feliks. He’s a lover of Alexander Pushkin’s literature, lover of culture, art and history – as well as a fabulous lover in bed – he bleeds passion for his love and for his cause. But Feliks is also a hardened criminal. Often misunderstood. Shipped to Siberia and tortured all because he fell in love with a girl of a higher social status.

Follett sets this tumultuo
Mike Bull
Dec 13, 2012 Mike Bull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follet is such a strong author that most of what he touches turns to gold, and I wasn't disappointed by this book one bit. This is a historical novel, and although I feel I know quite a bit of World War I history, I learned a lot reading this book which is set just prior to the outbreak of war. In particular the suffragette movement in the U.K. is one of the themes in this book that shines through.
However this is a spy story, the story of a family, the story of people who are irresistibly dr
Rosana Maia
Dec 02, 2015 Rosana Maia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
São inúmeros os livros de Ken Follet publicados. No entanto, até à data só tinha lido uma obra do autor – A Ameaça. Desde essa leitura que fiquei com vontade de ler mais livros do mesmo, e eis que durante este mês chegou a oportunidade de ler mais um – O Homem de São Petersburgo -, através da Editorial Presença à qual deixo mais uma vez o meu obrigada.

A narrativa desenrola-se nas vésperas da Primeira Guerra Mundial, como podemos ler na sinopse. E bastava ler a mesma para ficar com a leve sensaçã
Nick
Mar 14, 2007 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anarchists, masochists
I've learned to always be extremely disappointed with Ken Follet. He establishes promising situations, but then he always lets you down. This book is no exception.

The eponymous character is pretty sufficiently complicated - he's been driven insane, first from a terrible love with a pretty lady who's pretty much unavailable, and then from being in a gulag. Then there's the pretty lady, who can't resist torrid animal sex with The Man (from St. Petersburg). And then she goes ahead and marries a bor
José Jorge
Mais um livro muito bom do Ken Follett. Apesar de o enredo ser bastante simples e um pouco previsível, as personagens e as descrições daquela época são simplesmente fantásticas.
Um coisa que achei curiosa foi por três vezes aparecer a palavra ónibus. Pensei que fosse um erro de uma má tradução, no entanto fui ao dicionário para ver se a palavra existia no português de portugal e realmente existe! Depois questionei-me do porquê de terem usado ónibus e não autocarro / camioneta. Então consultei a v
AJ
Aug 30, 2015 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I'm so confused.
Am I suppose to root for the protagonist? Or the antagonist?
Murder is bad, right? But isn't war worse? Wait. What's the difference? Quantity? Quality? Free will?

Isn't a story suppose to have a good guy, and a bad guy? And isn't the good guy supposed be be strikingly handsome and have good allies that help him in his goodness, and the bad guy suppose to be horrid looking and have a unanimous vote of hatred?
But what is BAD? And what is GOOD?

Ahhhhhh.

All I know is that Follett is a
Julia Grundling
Jan 22, 2011 Julia Grundling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow - i sooo enjoyed this book. i was on the edge of my seat (and my bed) - the suspense was there, all the time.

it was also an excellent story and well thought out. at times i suspected something, but soon after it was revealed, which i quite liked. i cannot bear it when i suspect something and it only happens at the end - so boring. with this one, there were surprises around every corner.

this is why ken follett is my favourite author.
Donna Crupi
Jan 06, 2013 Donna Crupi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I read from Follett and it changed my view on the world. It also changed my view on reading, authors, and my expectations of a book.

Ken can do in few words what few authors can do with many.

This story is set in the time of women suffragettes. He creates a passion for polarized people struggling to fulfill their destinies while constrained by the limits of their social and political environment.

Exciting thriller--GREAT BOOK!!
Nancy Ellis
Feb 10, 2016 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Ken Follett's books, and this one did not disappoint. I love the history he wraps the story in, the year 1914 leading up to the beginning of World War 1, and the way he makes it come alive. The plot may become a bit beyond belief at times, but the reader doesn't mind because the complete atmosphere of the book is exciting. Lots of action, romance, and history.....nothing is left out. Another great read to thank him for!
Catarina
Mar 13, 2011 Catarina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ken-follett
Não sendo bem o meu género de livros, consegui ler regularmente, demorando assim talvez uma semana.
Tem um tema engraçado, e o dilema do personagem principal é bastante intrigante.
No entanto deste autor já li melhor.
Heather Tisdale
Don't read this one first. Follett is a really entertaining writer and I think that this is one of his weakest texts. This is something that a Follett fan should read to understand how he has developed over the years, but I doubt it would spur "Follett mania" for the average reader.
Xabi1990
Feb 05, 2017 Xabi1990 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Va a ser que no, Sr. Folett.

A usted le leo para encontrar intriga, espías, situaciones bélica y a veces, a veces, hasta personajes logrados (pocas, conste).

Pero si me da -como en este caso- una novela en la que la intriga y todo lo demás casi no aparecen y lo que sí aparece son laaaaargas descripciones del sufragismo femenino inglés o la situación social en la Inglaterra del 1914 ... pues que no, que para eso escojo a otros autores.

Así que le he abandonado a eso del 47%.
Claire
(7/10) I enjoyed this, it was well written and had very well developed characters. The story was good and well paced and I enjoyed the history. My only complaint was the ending, it felt really rushed and had the strangest epilogue I have ever read. I know Follett's later books are a lot better, some of my favourites in fact, but it's always nice to see where and how an author started.
susan haris
Mar 19, 2017 susan haris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: satisfying
when does ken follet not deliver? utterly a page-turner, despite the heady sentimentalism and medieval women characters and the apparent serendipity of chancing on Hardy poems in times of crises.
Susan
Feb 22, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follett is one of my favorite authors and again comes through with a brilliant work of historical fiction. He blends the issues of a country on the brink of war with the social inequality that pushes the world toward revolution.
Jim Beilstein
Jan 28, 2017 Jim Beilstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I love historical fiction and this one does not disappoint! Amongst the swing from the aristocracy to the people, a tale of forbidden romance, international politics and murder takes place. The characters are well developed and you will come to care for all of them, including the antagonist.... Enjoy!
Theresafic
Mar 10, 2017 Theresafic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a piece of crap. It doesn't even try to be historically accurate. An 18 yr old daughter of an Earl who doesn't even know where babies come from is reading the times cover to cover and after a suffragette meeting and one meeting with her Father is a socialist. Her Father finding out he has a daughter, he's met once, suddenly feels fear....
A Mysery set in the American Revolution 1 1 Feb 03, 2017 09:24AM
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • Night Judgement at Sinos
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Icon
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Gifts of War
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Our Game
  • Floodgate
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 30 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett...

“Cómo debo vivir?». La respuesta de Tolstói era: «Tú conoces en tu corazón lo que es recto».” 0 likes
“—La moralidad de Tolstói. Hacer el bien tal vez no te haga feliz, pero hacer el mal seguro que te hará desgraciado. Ella” 0 likes