Start by marking “Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea” as Want to Read:
Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea

Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  33 reviews
–old folk prayer

In late December 1951, laden with passengers and nearly forty metric tons of cargo, the freighter S.S. Flying Enterprise steamed westward from Europe toward America. A few days into the voyage, she hit the eye of a ferocious storm. Force 12 winds tossed men about like playthings and turned drops of freezing Atla
Hardcover, Large Print, 480 pages
Published July 11th 2006 by Random House Large Print Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Courage

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
If I Were Stranded On a Desert Island...
293rd out of 943 books — 389 voters
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickEndurance by Alfred LansingThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerA Change of Plans by Donna K. WeaverA Night to Remember by Walter Lord
36th out of 56 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane Meier
Though the American Library Associations listed Frank Delaney's "Simple Courage" as one of the 10 Best Books of the Year, this is a stunning book with no promotion and no machine behind it. And readers are missing something vital and satisfying and directional in that loss.

A disaster at sea, the harrowing rescue of passengers and crew, and the courage and plain decent behavior of a sea-captain who stayed with his ship and the merchant marine who joined him on board.

This tale of 'doing the right
Gusto Dave
One man. A raging sea. A wounded ship.

Life and death.

I’d put “Simple Courage” right up there with Caroline Alexander’s “The Endurance; Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition” and Sebastian Junger’s “The Perfect Storm,” to name just two.

In addition to a terrific non-fiction account, the capper in this one is how well Frank Delaney weaves himself into the story. The events that comprise the core of “Simple Courage,” in fact, are a childhood memory for Delaney and the reporting becomes a both
Sean Wylie
This is a true story of post WWII shipping in the Atlantic centered around a slowly sinking cargo vessel, The Flying Enterprise. After being hit by 2 rouge waves, his ship going down in hurricane force winds, the captain orchestrates the safe rescue of all but one of the 50+ passenger and crew who were safely taken on another ship most by swimming to life boats. Worth the time for sure, if a little long. Wonderful story telling of an adventure at sea and the fascinating reaction the entire world ...more
A first class sea story -- Well researched, and superbly told!

The Flying Enterprise was a WW-II freighter, maybe a Liberty ship (?), that went into commercial use after the war ended. In 1952, during a fierce storm in the North Atlantic, she cracked and foundered. Her captain, Kurt Carlsen, got the crew and passengers off the ship, with the loss of one life, but stayed on board his boat. Even though the ship was severely damaged, with no power, he thought there was still a chance of towing her
Susie Nee
Another author from the literary conference. This book was an amazing story of a ship wreck and how the captain saved everyone on the ship except one person and then stayed with the ship for days even though conditions were still terrible and all he had to eat was pound cake and beer to drink.
Mark Stevens
One man. A raging sea. A wounded ship.

Life and death.

Eamonn Gormley
Simple Courage
A true story of peril on the sea

Frank Delaney gives a gripping account of a story I remember reading about in primary school, the story of the Flying Enterprise. This was a stricken freighter that ran into trouble off the coast of Ireland in the new year of 1951 during several dramatic weeks that included attempts to tow her into port and some hair-raising moments in which there could have been major loss of life. Every wave that crashed over her cracked hull was splashed across th
This will scare the daylights out of anyone who has ever gone to sea, albeit in kind of a good way. While the author doesn't truly evoke the grinding work of heavy weather, he at least tries to reference it and keep the level of discomfort in the reader's mind, if not fresh and constant.

In addition to being a story of high seas disaster, however, this is secondarily a story of press coverage and narrative creep. Unfortunately, the author alludes to more mystery than he actually follows through
Pat Buzby
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Delaney at a book signing in Clinton, NJ just after I had finished his Ireland book. I bought a couple of his books and he signed this one for my husband. This week I took it off our book shelf and started reading. This summer I spent several days at a few New Jersey beaches which always re-affirms my love of the Atlantic. This adventure of peril on the sea back in 1951 was great. My Dad was a navy man and a Saturday morning fisherman. Being an only child...and ...more
A decent account of a merchant marine captain who tries to save the passagers and crew of his stricken freighter (hit by two rogue waves), who then decides to try and stay alone with his floundering vessel in hopes of getting it towed to safety. Much of the world was riveted by the drama. A little too much of the author appears in the book.
This story is about much more than "Simple Courage". Captain Kurt Carlsen's courageous adherence to his own strict code of ethical behavior, in the face of overwhelming physical obstacles and personal danger, exemplifies so many positive attributes missing in today's world (especially in politics and big corporations) that it can best be summed up by saying he did what was right because it was the right thing to do.

Frank Delaney, in his smooth story telling style, weaves into the narrative a wea
Jane Considine
this was a fascinating story that revealed much to me about the business of transoceanic shipping, maritime law, and life aboard a ship. If all goes well, a sailor's life onboard may even seem boring, but as the title says, this is a story about peril on the sea. Hold on.
Glenn Colucci
The first 3/4 of this book is really good. Interesting lead up and captivating story. The last 1/4 is a lot of stuff that was not needed and I breezed through many pages with just a glance.

I was sucked right into this man and boat against the sea thriller when the author mentions that four of the ten passengers aboard were Kurt and Ilsa Mueller, their 19 yr old daughter and 12 year old son, latter-day Mormon pioneers immigrating to Utah from Germany. I had to keep reminding myself that this took place in 1951 not 1851. What made it even more captivating was that while I was listening to the heroic efforts of Captain Carlsen to save his passengers, crew, and ship I was also hearing ...more
Jim Myers
I remember seeing news reel coverage in the cinema of the foundering of the Flying Enterprise in 1952. It was a big deal. It was exciting watching the grainy hand held movies taken from low flying planes and the decks of pitching ships. The story and adventure has intrigued me ever since. Great story of a broken ship, the sea and courageous men ... (Although they were a bit daft for trying to save the ship at a certain point.)
Renee Johnson
I loved this book! I could not put it down. Read it in 2 days. This book had me choked up; this book had me in tears. Before reading it, I had no idea about this event and now I find it very hard to believe, because this is SUCH an incredible story. I think that someone should have mentioned this to me along the way, even though I grew up in Michigan in the 70's and 80's.
Three and a half would be a better grade. This book was very interesting, and well written. I hadn't heard the story before and enjoyed the drama and the storytelling. The imagery is really well played and the step by step narration works very well. After finishing I went online and saw news reels of the Flying Enterprise as it sat helpless in the North Atlantic. Amazing to think that it happened so quickly and so decidedly. You hear about the ships which hit ice bergs or sink for other reasons, ...more
Frank Delaney is a master storyteller; he knows precisely how to enchant his audience and keep them thinking "and what happens next?"

Plus he has a pleasant and professional voice, no doubt in part from years of working for the BBC. He is a delight for the listener.

I sincerely hope Mr. Delaney records the rest of his works. That will keep him busy and keep me happy for a very long time.
Aug 26, 2011 Olivia is currently reading it
I've discovered a benefit to nursing these past few weeks that unfortunately I'm missing out on. When you nurse, you can read a book. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that while I'm bottle feeding. As a result, I have a feeling it is going to take me a while to get through this book. So far, so good.
pretty fascinating story of giant rouge wave, ship disablement, abandoning and the captain refusing to abandon the ship (but he does eventually, phew) damn frank delaney is a kick ass writer. he has some fiction, "ireland". this has lots of detail about freighters, the engine room, decisions at sea.
Denise White
I very much appreciate true accounts of character and honor and this was an enjoyable read. Delaney has the rare ability to craft descriptions worth repeating just to hear them roll off the tongue again. I look forward to another book by this author.
A real-life story that I knew nothing about before this book. Delaney captures the drama of the event and the people, and weaves a bit of himself into the book as well. Reminded me a bit of The Perfect Storm, with a happier ending.
I liked this book, but it got old after awhile. After the people were rescued I was ready for the book to end. I enjoy true stories so I wasn't about ready to not find out what the ultimate outcome was, even if the people were rescued.
I read Ireland by Frank Delaney and enjoyed it so decided to read Simple Courage, A True Story of Peril on the Sea. Reminds me a little of Perfect Storm. Bollard and Hawser
The story was interesting enough to pass the time on a late summer's day. Delaney's writing was excellent at points and I'd be curious to read something else by this author.
Erikhart Hart
A good read that starts off well and then grows somewhat sluggish in the middle. A great sea story and example of leadership that is sadly out of fashion in our time.
James Hansen
Jun 24, 2009 James Hansen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to James by: daughter
This book is engaging from start to finish. It is a harrowing story of danger and disaster on the open sea and the courageous efforts by a captain to save his ship.
This was an interesting book, and it has a dramatic, beautiful,loving family secret.
I really enjoyed finding our "why" the captain stayed with the ship.
Interesting account of what happened to a freighter in route from Europe to US. Remarkable actions by captain and crew to save everyone and the ship.
True story of the fight of one man against the sea against long odds. Was just not able to wade through the entire book, however,due to the writing style.
  • Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
  • Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
  • When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake
  • Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World
  • Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
  • Underwater to Get Out of the Rain: A Love Affair With the Sea
  • Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • Brutal Journey: The Epic Story of the First Crossing of North America
  • Shattered Air: A True Account of Catastrophe and Courage on Yosemite's Half Dome
  • Seized: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates While Recovering Stolen Ships in the World's Most Troubled Waters
  • The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths
  • The Great Hurricane: 1938
  • Miracles on the Water: The Heroic Survivors of a World War II U-Boat Attack
  • Lady Bird: A Biography of Mrs. Johnson
  • The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster (Audio CD)
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
'The Most Eloquent Man in the World', says NPR, about the writer, broadcaster, BBC host and Booker Prize Judge, Frank Delaney. Over a career that has lasted more than three decades, Delaney, an international-best-selling author himself, has interviewed more than 3,500 of the world's most important writers.

Frank Delaney has earned top prizes and best-seller status in a wide variety of formats, from
More about Frank Delaney...