Start by marking “Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture” as Want to Read:
Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture

Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  948 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews

Women of the Bible focuses on fifty-two remarkable women in Scripturewomen whose struggles to live with faith and courage are not unlike your own. And now this bestselling devotional study book has been updated and expanded to enhance its flexibility, usefulness, and relevance for both individuals and groups.

Important additions include:

- A list of all the women of the Bibl

Published April 28th 2007 by Zondervan (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Women of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of the Bible

Historyprincess
Apr 19, 2013 Historyprincess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the best books I've ever read on women in the Bible. God uses women for all sorts of purposes and this book definitely covers that.

My thoughts on each of these women.

Eve: The first woman whom God didn't give up on.
Sarah: Brave and loyal, she was made a mother of a nation.
Hagar: Even though she was a slave, God saw her sorrow.
Lot's Wife: God tried to save her, but she ultimately refused.
Rebekah: The woman who accepted God's invitation.
Rachel: She felt forgotten, but God remembered
Tea J.
Jul 07, 2013 Tea J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go to devotional book. I've read through it 3 times and I plan on going through it again. THe first time I read it, I was a teenager, so some of the issues such as marriage and motherhood were irrelevant to me. I couldn't apply it to myself. As a wife and mother I understand each woman.

The book is divided by the women's story first and each day of the week there is a different sort of focus for that woman. The questions are thought provoking, the stories are well written and the topic
Loraine
Dec 29, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written daily, year long devotional on 55 different women of the bible. I would recommend it for any woman who wants a short daily devotional that covers most of the important women of the bible.
Tia
Apr 10, 2015 Tia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave really good insight on the different women.
Angela Blount
Dec 30, 2013 Angela Blount rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
An easy read, divided into digestible sections dedicated to each topical woman. Enough backstory and historical context is provided to expand on the empathy one might already have for most of these biblical figures and the situations they found themselves in. This reader had a few touching revelations regarding how God regarded and related to these women.

I would have preferred a bit more depth of study, but I can see this as being a great tool for a woman-centric bible study or small group discu
Debbie Miller
Jul 11, 2014 Debbie Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're using this book for a group Bible Study I'm in. It is very easy to use, being divided into a page or two to read at each sitting. Very interesting stories that encourage lively discussions. I gave it only 4 stars because our group didn't agree with the author's verdict on 1 or 2 of the women profiled.
Angeline Lee
Nov 04, 2015 Angeline Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
At the time I first discovered this book, I was in a place where I was struggling to see how God could possibly love women in the midst of oppression, what it meant to be a faithful woman servant of Jesus, and if my restless, independence-driven personality could even fit into the mold of a real 'Christian woman'. Unsurprisingly, these unanswered questions began to embitter my view of [and relationships with] men and God.

As an act of pure desperation to seek answers from God, I bought the first
Jennah
Oct 22, 2015 Jennah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This devotional is definitly my favorite devotional so far! I loved it! But when talking about God they did not captitalize the pronoun, I think it was because of the Bible they were using. That was the only thing I did not like about this devotional.

It is a one-year devotional for women and it goes through 52 different women in the Bible. I did not even know most of the women that was talked about in this book. So it was very interesting to read about their stories and how God used them. I did
Deidre Valentine
Women of the Bible brought back a kindred childhood memory, Sunday school lessons. The teacher would give us a tiny card, similar to a baseball card, and we would read the stats of the character or event to be studied. The simplicity of that stat sheet, so to speak, made it easy to remember important biblical stories and people. For example, Joseph had a coat of many colors, was hated by his brothers and sold into slavery, was an interpreter of dreams, refused the advances of Potiphar’s wife, an ...more
Tiffany
I received this book as a present, and I think the person who gave it to me didn't realize that it was a Bible study-type book, and thought it was more narrative/description about the women in the Bible. I think that if someone wanted a book for Bible study, especially women in the book, this would be a three- or four-star book. I gave it two because it didn't really suit my interests, but I could see its merits.

If you were going to use this as a spiritual guide/Bible study, it's well-organized
Sandra
Mar 11, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book on women in the Bible. I not only loved the fact that some less-well-known characters were included, but also how the character was so fully developed by the author, making her into someone we can relate to today, without compromising Biblical accuracy. Although laid out in a day by day devotional, I couldn't help but read the entire write-up on every single woman...in one single sitting! This is a book I've read through more than once and plan to do so again. There's ju ...more
Joy
This book is going to sit on my currently reading shelf for a LONG time. I am reading a chapter a week every six weeks with friends, taking a week off between for a breather and time for busy women to catch up.

The book is formatted to encourage Bible study. A woman could just read the material, or she could use this book as a tool to dig deeper.

Book schedule:
Monday: Her story, a portrait of one woman's life
Tuesday: Her life and times, culture
Wednesday: Her legacy in Scripture
Thursday: Her Promis
This is a really good book to read along with someone or a group. There is a different woman each week (52 total) and each day has a one page reading - wtih backgorund/context and the woman's story in the bible, as well as questions, and some reflection. It goes chronologically through the bible and I suspect when I finish it, I will have a much better overall understanding of Scripture as a whole. Easy yet though provoking reading.

So, I'm not part of that small group anymore, and have stopped
Louise Strother
Jan 03, 2015 Louise Strother rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get the story.

Didn't get the story. Just got th introduction. Did I pay for this book? I was very disappointed when I saw this was all I got just this.
Lois
Mar 19, 2015 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book to use in a small group bible study. My small group took a little over a year to finish it . It is a great book ,whether you are very familiar with the bible ,or just beginning to study God's word. Everyone in my group said, " I have really enjoyed learning more about the bible and these women of the bible through this study" I liked how the book was set up so you read a little each week day something about each women. You study one women each week for one year. It was ...more
Lila
Aug 29, 2015 Lila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
We studied many of these women in the two study groups I was in last year. It was interesting to look at them from the different angles.
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2014 Elizabeth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Its a daily reading meant to be read during the course of the year. I have read Eve's character, pain, joy, history, her life during her time, her legacy in the scriptures, promises she received, her legacy in prayer. And it keeps doing that for the rest of the bible women.

I love this book because it helps you understand more of the bible as well as their life and whats better is it helps you understand the time they lived in and how everything varies depending on the era you lived. Time is a bi
Carmen
May 22, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will be one of those books that I will refer back to whenever I need a good study of Women of the Bible.
Serri
"Women Of The Bible" focuses on 52 prominent and not-so-prominent women in Scripture. It tells you each woman's story in 2-3 pages with biblical references, highlighting her character, sorrow, joy, and key scriptures.

I particularly liked it because the story about the Widow of Zarephath is included. Zarephath is a direct Hebrew translation of my given name Sereptha.

It's a great gift to both give and receive.
Christine Vranas
Jan 24, 2015 Christine Vranas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book to quickly and like a good wine did not get to savor the passages. I found it highly inspirational. Learning that some of Jesus' ancestors were not necessarily "perfect" people helped me to view our salvation with more hope and helped me to understand that our Creator does have a personal interest in us.
Abbie
This was a good read into a few insights on the women mentioned in the Bible. For anyone seeking to learn more about the few, and sometimes hardly mentioned, women that help create the lineage of Christ or contribute to his kingdom, this is a good choice to read. It asked provoking questions about who these women where and what the choices they had before them were.
Angela
The stories from the Old Testament were amazing but the New Testament didn't have as much scripture to work with so they took more liberties than I preferred. Still a good perspective on biblical problems with a 21st century insight. Not a bad read to encourage us to feel blessed with how much we truly have.
Mariah
May 11, 2013 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Not terribly informative and filled with basic typos that any good editing program should have caught before printing. Very distracting for a grammer nazi like myself. Thought it would have a good overview of important female figures of the bible, but nothing about it gave me any more insight than I already knew.
Kristin
May 18, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great do-it-yourself Bible study! It covers most of the women you encounter in Scripture, bringing insight into the lives of some you probably just skipped over during your devotions. It will definitely make you think and look at your own life to see if you possess the qualities of these godly and ungodly girls.
Barbara
Feb 29, 2012 Barbara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Woman's Bible study that I am part of on Monday Mornings just picked this book up. We have started this week on Esther which is the book we are reading in the bible at this moment. Then we will start from the beginning of this book right after that. So excited to learn about all the women in the bible!
Drdiana Brevan
Jan 12, 2016 Drdiana Brevan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Ann shares about each Woman of the Bible together and focused on the Word you also can see whom you alight yourself with as the Holy Spirit leads you as you study this awesome Woman of the Bible. One of the best writers and one of the best tools to have in your library!
Kelsey
Oct 09, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource for all the women of the Bible! I can't wait to get started reading this daily woman devotional. It has background information on each women, tells her story, has reasons for praise and meditation and more. Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Emily
Jun 23, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty fussy about devotional reading, but after spending a year with this book, I feel that I learned a lot. I liked the rhythm of the book: introduce a character on Mon., look into her situation on Tues., consider on Wed., pray on Thurs., take action on Fri.
Calisha DeAngelo
Mar 25, 2008 Calisha DeAngelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is so great. It breaks down all the great stories of the Bible by each individual woman. You spend one week on each woman, and it compares the stories to present day. This is a great devotional for women! I am looking for one for men...even for myself!
Emerald
Apr 15, 2009 Emerald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so comforting......every night I had a devotional learning about a different powerful woman of the bible. Though some would be seen as not ideal heroes, this book sheds a light on how all types of people are necessary and God loves each of us.
Women of the bible? Why do they talk more on the men? 3 10 Jun 15, 2014 07:12PM
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • Praying God's Will for Your Life: A Prayerful Walk to Spiritual Well Being
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • The Helper
  • Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Paul: 90 Days on His Journey of Faith
  • The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules
  • Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be: A 90-Day Guide to Living the Proverbs 31 Life
  • Unto the Hills
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • Declaring God's Word: A 365-Day Devotional
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • The Quiet Place: Daily Devotional Readings
  • The Message SOLO: An Uncommon Devotional
Ann Spangler is the best-selling author of numerous books, including Praying the Names of God, Women of the Bible, and Finding the Peace God Promises. An award-winning writer, Ann’s books have sold millions of copies over the course of her writing career. The mission of her books is to help readers strengthen their connection with God by encountering him in Scripture.

Before becoming a writer, Ann
More about Ann Spangler...

“But it is heartening to realize that God accomplishes his purposes despite our frailties, our little faith, our entrenched self-reliance.” 3 likes
“Discontment is an insidious thing, trapping us into thinking that which is enough is longer enough, and that which is satisfying is no longer satisfying.” 1 likes