Pig, Crane, Fox (Lóng City, #0.5)

Pig, Crane, Fox (Lóng City 0.5)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The king of Lóng City has declared a contest—whoever performs three impossible tasks gets to marry his daughter, the Princess Lian, as well as winning a lot of money. Kai the street rat doesn't want the princess, but he does want the money. Then he finds out the princess has her own ideas about this contest.

A short story originally published in Magic in the Mirrorstone .
Published September 4th 2011 by Beth Bernobich

Valerie
This is an intro to a book called Fox and Phoenix. It's pretty short and normally I don't really enjoy short stories but since it's an intro I know there is more to come. Kai is a smart alec kid who isn't always the brightest, and isn't always the nicest but he is the sponkiest. He is the leader of a bunch of street kids and has a plan to get some money. He has to pose as a prince and do three impossible tasks, this will give him money and the princess's hand in marriage. Kai isn't really intere...more
Hannah
A short, entertaining little story. The protagonist, Kai, is street-smart and quick on his feet and his small group of friends make a fun ensemble, but the best thing about this is the setting - a Chinese/Chinese-inspired city filled with magic and advanced technology. And Kai has a sarcastic pig named Chen as his animal companion! I love it. Because this is a short story, however, there's barely enough time to get to know our supporting characters, so I hope the sequel will develop Yun's charac...more
Valerie
Huh, I'm a doofus. It's only after I purchased this story on my kindle and read it do I realize I can read it right here on Goodreads. Well, that teaches me not to look around for free options.

Anyway, this story was interesting. It wasn't the best, nor was it the worst. However, I felt it lacked something. Not sure what, but definitely something, or a few somethings. I do like the world, though. It's a strange universe, but it's original. I'm not sure I entirely understand it, though.
Mely
Charming teaser short story set in a Chinese technomagical city -- wireless phones run on magic, everyone seems to have a spirit companion. The voice is winning and so is the world building. Definitely got me more interested in the forthcoming related novel.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
Loved this cute little story. A fun and complex world that I would like to see more of (and will, when I read the book!). It also made me very hungry for Asian food.
Estara
Oct 19, 2011 Estara marked it as to-read
Recommended to Estara by: I really liked the short story on Tor.com by this author
Shelves: ebook
This is a freebie by the author at Smashwords.com. It's the short story that set up her first novel in this world.
Jo Oehrlein
Interesting intro to a new world.
Jennifer Conroy-Schwartz
Jennifer Conroy-Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ariana Wilde
Ariana Wilde marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Rakesh Kumar
Rakesh Kumar marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kim K
Kim K marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Candice Carr
Candice Carr marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Chong Chin-Ning
Chong Chin-Ning marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Cala Bryans
Cala Bryans marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Saki3
Saki3 marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Stéphanie
Stéphanie is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Beth Bernobich is a writer, reader, mother, and geek. She loves to tell stories.
More about Beth Bernobich...
Passion Play (River of Souls Series, #1) Fox and Phoenix (Long City, #1) Queen's Hunt (River of Souls Series, #2) Thief of War: A Tor.Com Original Allegiance (River of Souls Series, #3)