The Homeless Bishop

The Homeless Bishop

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A man of privilege, Carlo gives up everything to learn life lessons that he later puts to use in the service of God, church, and his fellow man.
Published July 11th 2011 by Orbis Books

The Cana Mystery by David  BeckettCaught on Film by Andy OttoBeyond Infinity by Charles Ames FischerThe Samsara Effect by Paul  BlackCenterville by Karen  Osborn
Best IPPY Award Winners 2012-2014
40th out of 92 books — 10 voters
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Best Catholic Fiction
145th out of 178 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine
Here is a vision of the Church,(and all faiths) its Pope,its bishops and priests I would pray we see. Our church has become in many places an empty institution and its leaders like the Pharisees.
We can pray, we can dream, we can talk.
Paula Masson
Because of the message the book was definitely worth reading. The writing not so much.
Carroll Straus
Great concept. Insipid writing. I join Corzone's fans in wishing the church were thus, but I find his writing flawed-- grammatical error abound and the plots and characters were neither compelling or likely. And Iran??? Don't get me started. It is SO not as he seems to want to believe. Sorry, in my book a huge FAIL.
Teresa
It started out strong, then the writing became very simple. i felt like a grade school student wrote this story. I loved the story line itself though. I would have appreciated more sophisticated writing.
Ron Arden
Another delightful book by Joseph Girzone. I was a big fan of his Joshua series and he creates another great character with Carlo Brunini, the homeless bishop. Brunini wants to really understand how the poor and homeless live, so he becomes homeless for about 18 months. He believes that is the best way to really understand the life and feelings of Jesus. Brunini is a selfless archbishop in Italy and comes across as very simple, but he is in fact anything but. He is a wonderful human who has a de...more
PWRL
Jul 28, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Meranda
This is my first venture into the Christian Fiction genre and it was a very interesting journey. Written by a retired Catholic priest, The Homeless Bishop follows the journey of a young Archbishop who takes a sabbatical for almost 2 years to live as a homeless person in the U.S. (the Archbishop was born and lives in Rome, Italy for the majority of the book), in an effort to better understand why Jesus always taught kindness and reverence for the poor.

I found this book to be absolutely thought p...more
Linda
If you were to imagine the perfect leader for the church, how would he be? An intelligent, selfless, student of life who acknowledges his own human feelings. And when he rose to a leader of the church, how would he approach his ministry? With humility, grace, and consideration for all people. This is the priest that Girzone describes in this novel. He scarily predicts some of the qualities of our new pope. While Girzone sometimes writes a bit too simply, this story is inspiring and offers hope f...more
Beth
Very simply told tale written by a retired priest. Carlo, an Italian, is a bishop who cannily manages to get every parish under him to accept the homeless and feed and house them, after he learned how Jesus felt about life as he lived in a wandering homeless fashion in New York. The author depicts Carlo's various clergical promotions as happening because Carlo is perfect. This is termed a "What if" story. What if a simple man never was looking out for his interests, was a priest who was able to...more
Michael
I enjoyed this book very much, as I have all of Fr. Girzone's work. In this story, a bishop goes and lives as a homeless person for 18 months, then returns to his work much wiser than he was. The thing I like about these books is how much the focus is on the spirit of Jesus: kindness, compassion, forgiveness, reconcilliation, and peace. Those things, to me, are what matters. All of the other stuff is make-believe.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of bishops, and priests, and cardinals,...more
Jeremy Stephens
Inspiring read for the wait between Ascension and Pentecost
Carol
Father Girzone does seem to be preaching to the converted (committed, Church-going, and somewhat liberal Catholics) but he does it in such a way that you almost believe that a bishop might "carry off" a year of being a homeless beggar in order to change his perspective on leading the Church. The ending is preposterous but up until then, I found this book insightful and somewhat challenging to me personally. Do I want an unwashed homeless man, sitting next to me at Church?
Gillian Bourassa
This beautiful novel is a reminder that following after Jesus and seeking holiness is a messy business. The cross is extremely heavy at times, but Carlo's story shows the graces that flow from constant conversion and continuously seeking to be more like Jesus each day. I think this is one of the best of Girzone's books that I've read.
Robin
I love Joseph Girzone. He didn't disappoint me. This is a story about an Italian Bishop who goes undercover for a year and leaves his country and lives like a homeless person for a year and a half.
He then returns to Italy and resumes his life based on what Jesus would do. Totally glad that this book fell into my hands.
Michele
The basic premise is intriguing but this book is so predictable I really did not need to read the second half of it. As it was the only book I had in Big Sur (big mistake) I read the fool thing anyway. Perhaps my cynicism and on-again-off-again Atheism clouded my perspective, but I really don't think so.
Pat
This book gets a little draggy in the middle but improves greatly. It identifies many of the problems in the modern Catholic church and the men who run it.
Jim Mcnulty
Read this book for it's unpretentious presentation of a story that teaches important lessons about Jesus and how truly living with Him could change the world.
Joe
Read this one!! One of the best books by Father Girzone . I hope he gives us a sequel !
Diana
Food for thought as are most of the books by Joseph Girzone.
Rev Gary
A beautiful book that truly touches your heart.
Denise Stacks
Denise Stacks marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Helen Hudson
Helen Hudson marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Yelda
Yelda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
FROM PUBLISHER:
JOSEPH F. GIRZONE retired from the active priesthood in 1981 due to health reasons, and embarked on a second career as a writer and speaker.

In 1995 he established the Joshua Foundation, an organization dedicated to making Jesus better known throughout the world.

His bestselling books include Joshua, A Portrait of Jesus, and Never Alone. He lives in Altamont, New York.
More about Joseph F. Girzone...
Joshua Joshua and the Children Joshua and the City Joshua and the Shepherd Joshua In The Holy Land

“I think most decent people would be horrified at what happens today, even in our enlightened country. There are still mean, self-righteous Pharisees, who have a sick need to punish others whose troubled lives they can never begin to understand, much less feel compassion for.” 3 likes
“I think I know now why Jesus had such a tender spot in his heart for the poor. It takes great faith and simplicity of spirit to be poor and not despair. It takes enormous courage to decide to keep on living. The homeless are remarkable people. Their very life is a prayer -- desperate, silent, unspoken pleading with God to keep them alive. And by some miracle, no, not one miracle, but by a continuous chain of miracles all day long and all night, they do stay alive, especially on freezing cold days and nights.” 3 likes