Start by marking “The Homeless Bishop” as Want to Read:
The Homeless Bishop

The Homeless Bishop

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A man of privilege, Carlo gives up everything to learn life lessons that he later puts to use in the service of God, church, and his fellow man.
Published July 11th 2011 by Orbis Books

To ask other readers questions about The Homeless Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homeless Bishop

The Cana Mystery by David  BeckettCaught on Film by Andy OttoMistress of the Solstice by Anna KashinaBeyond Infinity by Charles Ames FischerLiving Together by Gloria Whelan
Best IPPY Award Winners 2012-2015
46th out of 102 books — 14 voters
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Catholic Fiction
195th out of 235 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Paula Masson
Oct 04, 2011 Paula Masson rated it really liked it
Because of the message the book was definitely worth reading. The writing not so much.
Carroll Straus
Jul 03, 2012 Carroll Straus rated it it was ok
Great concept. Insipid writing. I join Corzone's fans in wishing the church were thus, but I find his writing flawed-- grammatical error abound and the plots and characters were neither compelling or likely. And Iran??? Don't get me started. It is SO not as he seems to want to believe. Sorry, in my book a huge FAIL.
Elaine
Apr 02, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Here is a vision of the Church,(and all faiths) its Pope,its bishops and priests I would pray we see. Our church has become in many places an empty institution and its leaders like the Pharisees.
We can pray, we can dream, we can talk.
Teresa
Dec 14, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it
It started out strong, then the writing became very simple. i felt like a grade school student wrote this story. I loved the story line itself though. I would have appreciated more sophisticated writing.
Ron Arden
Oct 07, 2011 Ron Arden rated it it was amazing
Another delightful book by Joseph Girzone. I was a big fan of his Joshua series and he creates another great character with Carlo Brunini, the homeless bishop. Brunini wants to really understand how the poor and homeless live, so he becomes homeless for about 18 months. He believes that is the best way to really understand the life and feelings of Jesus. Brunini is a selfless archbishop in Italy and comes across as very simple, but he is in fact anything but. He is a wonderful human who has a de ...more
PWRL
Jul 28, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Helene Slowik
Feb 06, 2015 Helene Slowik rated it really liked it
Shelves: oprf-book-club
Great beginning but some unlikely and not credible events weakened the tale. Clearly shows the isolation of the homeless person in the rest of the world, but the world of the homeless seems too civilized. Still, an interesting read.
Meranda
Apr 22, 2012 Meranda rated it liked it
This is my first venture into the Christian Fiction genre and it was a very interesting journey. Written by a retired Catholic priest, The Homeless Bishop follows the journey of a young Archbishop who takes a sabbatical for almost 2 years to live as a homeless person in the U.S. (the Archbishop was born and lives in Rome, Italy for the majority of the book), in an effort to better understand why Jesus always taught kindness and reverence for the poor.

I found this book to be absolutely thought p
Linda
Apr 02, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
If you were to imagine the perfect leader for the church, how would he be? An intelligent, selfless, student of life who acknowledges his own human feelings. And when he rose to a leader of the church, how would he approach his ministry? With humility, grace, and consideration for all people. This is the priest that Girzone describes in this novel. He scarily predicts some of the qualities of our new pope. While Girzone sometimes writes a bit too simply, this story is inspiring and offers hope f ...more
Beth
Oct 07, 2011 Beth rated it it was ok
Very simply told tale written by a retired priest. Carlo, an Italian, is a bishop who cannily manages to get every parish under him to accept the homeless and feed and house them, after he learned how Jesus felt about life as he lived in a wandering homeless fashion in New York. The author depicts Carlo's various clergical promotions as happening because Carlo is perfect. This is termed a "What if" story. What if a simple man never was looking out for his interests, was a priest who was able to ...more
Michael
Dec 01, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, fiction
I enjoyed this book very much, as I have all of Fr. Girzone's work. In this story, a bishop goes and lives as a homeless person for 18 months, then returns to his work much wiser than he was. The thing I like about these books is how much the focus is on the spirit of Jesus: kindness, compassion, forgiveness, reconcilliation, and peace. Those things, to me, are what matters. All of the other stuff is make-believe.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of bishops, and priests, and cardinals,
Carol
Feb 02, 2016 Carol added it
Read in Florida. Good book. Liked the storyline.
Marilyn
Sep 19, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good - somewhat reminds me of Pope Francis
Carol
Jul 07, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Father Girzone does seem to be preaching to the converted (committed, Church-going, and somewhat liberal Catholics) but he does it in such a way that you almost believe that a bishop might "carry off" a year of being a homeless beggar in order to change his perspective on leading the Church. The ending is preposterous but up until then, I found this book insightful and somewhat challenging to me personally. Do I want an unwashed homeless man, sitting next to me at Church?
Gillian Bourassa
This beautiful novel is a reminder that following after Jesus and seeking holiness is a messy business. The cross is extremely heavy at times, but Carlo's story shows the graces that flow from constant conversion and continuously seeking to be more like Jesus each day. I think this is one of the best of Girzone's books that I've read.
Robin
Dec 04, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
I love Joseph Girzone. He didn't disappoint me. This is a story about an Italian Bishop who goes undercover for a year and leaves his country and lives like a homeless person for a year and a half.
He then returns to Italy and resumes his life based on what Jesus would do. Totally glad that this book fell into my hands.
Catherine Casey
I've enjoyed reading this last work of Joseph Girizone. It reaminds me of our present Pope Francis and his compassion for the poor and Peace.
Michele
Aug 26, 2012 Michele rated it did not like it
The basic premise is intriguing but this book is so predictable I really did not need to read the second half of it. As it was the only book I had in Big Sur (big mistake) I read the fool thing anyway. Perhaps my cynicism and on-again-off-again Atheism clouded my perspective, but I really don't think so.
Valerie
Oct 24, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity, 2014
uplifting referral from my dear friend Phyllis. Thank you so much, Phyllis!
Pat
Feb 18, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it
This book gets a little draggy in the middle but improves greatly. It identifies many of the problems in the modern Catholic church and the men who run it.
Jim Mcnulty
Aug 25, 2013 Jim Mcnulty rated it it was amazing
Read this book for it's unpretentious presentation of a story that teaches important lessons about Jesus and how truly living with Him could change the world.
Joe
Apr 28, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
Read this one!! One of the best books by Father Girzone . I hope he gives us a sequel !
Bill Breen
Mar 17, 2015 Bill Breen rated it really liked it
Excellent read. It is uncanny how it parallels our new Pope!!
Diana
Aug 12, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Food for thought as are most of the books by Joseph Girzone.
Jeremy Stephens
Jan 01, 2015 Jeremy Stephens rated it it was amazing
Inspiring read for the wait between Ascension and Pentecost
Rev Gary
Jan 01, 2012 Rev Gary rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that truly touches your heart.
Karen Klein
Dec 07, 2011 Karen Klein rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Wilbur
Wilbur rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Maria Beardsley
Maria Beardsley marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FROM PUBLISHER:
JOSEPH F. GIRZONE retired from the active priesthood in 1981 due to health reasons, and embarked on a second career as a writer and speaker.

In 1995 he established the Joshua Foundation, an organization dedicated to making Jesus better known throughout the world.

His bestselling books include Joshua, A Portrait of Jesus, and Never Alone. He lives in Altamont, New York.
More about Joseph F. Girzone...

“I think most decent people would be horrified at what happens today, even in our enlightened country. There are still mean, self-righteous Pharisees, who have a sick need to punish others whose troubled lives they can never begin to understand, much less feel compassion for.” 5 likes
“I have finally come to realize why Jesus has such a passionate love, yes, a passionate love for the poor and the outcasts. He could see clearly how an arrogant and self-righteous society had stripped millions of his poor of their dignity and pride as God's children and reduced them, even in their own eyes, to nothing more than unwanted trash. Now I understand why he took pride in identifying himself as the Good Shepherd and homeless himself, because he himself was treated by the leaders of his own people as trash to be eliminated.” 4 likes