Start by marking “Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, #3)

Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  22,819 ratings  ·  3,135 reviews
EDGE OF ETERNITY is the sweeping, passionate conclusion to Ken Follett’s extraordinary historical epic, The Century Trilogy.

Throughout these books, Follett has followed the fortunes of five intertwined families – American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh – as they make their way through the twentieth century. Now they come to one of the most tumultuous eras of all: t
Hardcover, First Edition, 1098 pages
Published September 16th 2014 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Eternity, please sign up.

Mark Cahill Indeed, this is revisionist history. Basically a hatchet job on Reagan/Bush. Convenient how one of his socialist characters is responsible for the…moreIndeed, this is revisionist history. Basically a hatchet job on Reagan/Bush. Convenient how one of his socialist characters is responsible for the fall of communism, in spite of the inept leaders. Also interesting to see Jimmy Carter portrayed as a competent leader. I lived through these times, he does not portray the 80's correctly. The book suffers horribly from it, and unnecessarily. Story would have worked as well if he didn't put an heavy finger on the scale...

Sadly, many who did not live through those times will take this for a good approximation of what happened. Which no doubt was Follett's aim.(less)
Jen I agree with Sarah, I think it's quite well known that he really did have a number of affairs. I believe Maria's story is loosely based on the true…moreI agree with Sarah, I think it's quite well known that he really did have a number of affairs. I believe Maria's story is loosely based on the true story of Mimi Alford, a White House intern who had an affair with JFK. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimi_A...(less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
106th out of 2,632 books — 15,809 voters
The Collector of Dying Breaths by M.J. RoseWritten in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana GabaldonA Burnable Book by Bruce HolsingerA King's Ransom by Sharon Kay PenmanThe King's Curse by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction 2014
15th out of 371 books — 2,220 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
The characters in this book unlike characters in his previous books (that I really enjoyed) are caricatures. Follett lets his liberal politics come though with no subtlety - all the blacks are good all whites are evil and bad-intentioned.

I'm sorry to have wasted my time reading this left-wing drivel.

Very disappointing given the talented storyteller Follett can be.
Brittina
Sadly not nearly as well written as the previous books in this trilogy. The first third was as we're used to, descriptive and captivating. The rest seemed like he was in a hurry to finish, and is rushed and padded with a lot of clumsy sex. Very sad, I was so excited for the at installment and was left wanting better.
Gasperson
Review contains SPOILERS. Don't read further if you don't want some plot details spoiled.

Are you a self important baby boomer who leans left in your political views? Well buddy, are you going to have the biggest rager of a boner reading this book. Don't get me wrong, I devoured this book, and it starts off very strong. Most of the characters in the book start off likable. I realized pretty early on that at this point in the story, nearly all the characters are related by either blood or marriage
Liviu
very strong first part covering roughly 1961 - 1963 (Berlin wall, fight for Civil Rights, the Cuban missile crisis), but then the novel starts scattering and after a while becomes almost an encyclopedia like recital of what happens as it follows the diverse group of characters until 1989

there are strong moments here and there but they read more like snippets than like a novel, while the political biases of the author start becoming way too visible and detract from the book (there is a ton about
Shlomo
First off, I cannot review this book without spoilers, so please, please read at your own risk.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I was disappointed by this book. Maybe as a standalone version it would have been better received, but as the third of what had been a superb trilogy I was let down.

First:
Why drop so many characters we were invested in the first two books and which in the closing of the second made it look like we should look forward to what happens to them? The second books ends with Erik (Carla's broth
Greg
Bleh... I hated this book! What a load of liberal revisionist history.

I can summarize it for you this way: Liberals are brilliant, dashing, successful, all-knowing, always wise and prescient. Conservatives are stumbling, bumbling blockheads, who must visit prostitutes to get any action because who would want a conservative lover?

Want more? Jimmy Carter almost ended the cold war with his brilliant moves regarding Poland. Reagan gave a silly speech telling Gorbachev to "tear down this wall", whic
Kelly Hubbard
I can't wait to read this book! Fall of Giants and Winter of the World were so good I could hardly put them down.
Ric
I read an advance copy of the third in the Century Trilogy Follett who is probably best know for his thrillers is also a great writer of historical fiction--Pillars of the Earth may be the best piece of historical fiction I ever read. Edge of Eternity is not far behind. It is the monumental (1100 pages in my copy) of a monumental time --1961 to 1989. The book was like reading a movie ( I mean that in a good way), story flowed, the characters flowed, it just worked. Granted lots of literary licen ...more
Gary Branson
It pains me to give a Follett a low rating; however, this just wasn't good. Stock characters against the political background of the last half of the 20th century just made this story too long. And where was England in all of this turmoil? Not one single mention of Margaret Thatcher. Seemed to be forcing a particular political agenda also... As I said about the second book in the trilogy, too broad a canvas to be effective.
cindy
so many world events took place during the time period of this book that it felt like the characters were forced into the story rather than the story being built around the characters.
Nicole~

Edge of Eternity is Follett's bookend to his globe-trotting Century trilogy that began with Fall of Giants followed by Winter of the World: a strikingly immense multi-generational saga featuring families from Germany, Russia, Wales, England and America, weaving historical world conflicts of the 20th century.

In this final installment, we see the grandchildren of the epic WWI story course through the remnants of WWII, the Cold War, and the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Follett's un
Gary
After reading well over 3,000 pages of material....you feel totally invested in a story. At least this writer does that for me. I cared deeply about these characters. It's funny....when I read a Follett novel......I dream about the characters while I sleep at night, as if they are real people. That's how powerful this trilogy was for me. And out of the 3 this one I could most relate to, because I was born in 1959,and the things happening in it up to 2008, I saw on the news. I lived it, I experie ...more
Terry Fazio
Thought it was adolescent. I have read other books of Follet's and this one read as if someone else wrote it. Perhaps it is because I lived through this era, that there was a knowing of the linear plot, but I just don't think it was well written. Sorry. No recommendations here.
Robert Bilicki
I have read almost all of Ken Follett's books. They are great stories.

Let me just say that if Ken Follet's new book is anything like his previous books, I believe it will be great. I have to admit that I have only read the outline of the story but, from the little I read Follet's new book will be interesting. Sorry I if I gave the impression that I had already read the whole story.
Parul
Edge of Eternity reads like a Young Adult fiction. Plot lines follow the same routine as the last two books. All love angles seem forced in awkwardly. Very disappointing.
Skip
WOW. Ken Follett continues to produce great novels. The third book in the Century Trilogy is bookended by the creation and destruction of the Berlin Wall, symbolizing the rise and fall of communism. But the book has so much more, covering the civil rights movement, concluding with the election of Barack Obama. Follett also integrates the key political figures, assassinations, protests, and strife of the past 50 years. But, what really makes the novel are the great characters he has created and t ...more
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Not as good as the first two books. And not because I am irrationally offended when someone doesn't praise the all mighty Ronald Reagan.

With the Viet Nam war, Kennedy's, Hippie movement, rock music, the USSR and so much else that happened post WWII to the present. This should have been a great story. However it literally felt like this book was written by another author, who basically wrote an encyclopedia that had sex scenes in it to make it interesting.

For example, I get that this book was a
Fiona

Follett knows how to make you turn the pages. He's a master story teller. But this was a rush job, to the point of being insulting. Would a character in the 1970s really say "yada, yada"? For some reason that annoyed me more than the repeated paragraph, the ponderous recaps,
one dimensional characters and mawkish, cliché ridden writing.

All the same I had to finish it - more fool me.
Cindy Ward
Long, long long and boooooring. I would say the first of this trilogy was the best...the second was only ok, and this one was not very good. I just didn't care about the characters, what happened, etc. It was not suspenseful or engaging. Sorry Ken Follett, I love you but not this book!
Christina
Aug 30, 2013 Christina marked it as to-read
Just finished Winter of the World, and I cannot wait for the next one!
Connie

I so anticipated the 3rd in the Century Trilogy and I greedily devoured this as quickly as the first two. I was anxious to get back to the continuing saga of these 5 families whose lives intertwine as history unfolds. I am not sure I loved this one quite as much, as the time frame of the 1960's thru the 1980's were familiar to me as it is my history. Things were very familiar and I felt that I missed the "learning" part of his first two. That said, I am amazed at the amount of research
Dawn
Worth the time to finish just to say I did it, but not even close to the quality of its precursors. I am a big fan of Follett's previous work. Pillars of the Earth is up there with the best books written in the last few decades. Sadly, though it gets off to a good start, Edge of Eternity fizzles fast, becoming repetitive and predictable. Characters patronizingly summarize and re-summarize their lives like a 6th grade history teacher trying to prep students for a test. Connections between real an ...more
Carol
3.5 STARS

Book Three of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy began as an UNPUTDOWNABLE 5 Star read for me, but soon lowered to a page-turning 4 Stars, then an interesting 3 Stars and even took a dive to 2 Stars in a few instances....hence the 3.5 Star rating.

EDGE OF ETERNITY covers the tumultuous 1960's thru 1980's encompassing the shameful Civil Rights era, the disheartening assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK, the unbelievable horrors of Vietnam, the tyranny behind the Berlin Wall, the nerve-racking ti

Maria
Após quatro anos de início da trilogia O Século, eis que esta chega ao fim com No Limiar da Eternidade, um livro cujas 1022 páginas se leem tão bem que é difícil abandonar a sua leitura.

O Século retratado nesta trilogia é para mim o mais rico em história, abrangendo duas Grandes Guerras e uma Guerra Fria que colocou em numa "guerra" as duas grandes super potências do mundo atual EUA e URSS.

Mais uma vez Follett junta as cinco famílias iniciais, juntamente com as gerações que lhes sucederam para r
May 06, 2013 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Can't wait to read the next one!
Ed
At first my opinion was more critical. The characters were too 'close to the action'. George is a close adviser to RFK. Dimka is a close adviser to Brezhnev. I liked the first two books where the main characters weren't comically 'in the room' where huge events took place, yet were impacted by those events. But the end results of the first two novels were upward mobility, so I began to accept the movement and plot devices of this last book.

I liked the East Berlin and Russian plots more than the
Holly Weiss
Novel Ideas group read October 2014.

A political and cultural review of the 1960's. Follett places his characters in the immediacy of history (similar to John Jakes). The second half lost punch because one political leaning was emphasized. I think he padded an already long book with an overabundance of salacious scenes and showed definite gender bias. The book needed a good editor. My opinion is that the last in this series is the least compelling. What a shame. It was a far cry from The Pillars
Kim
Started out interesting, then just got long. Skimming by the end. Preferred the first books.
Lacey Carrigan
For me the book "Edge of Eternity" quivers and quakes under its own weight, and this is coming from a huge Ken Follett fan. Most of what makes his novels so great is the immersive quality and the suspense, along with wicked plot turns. Since the five intertwining narratives in Edge of Eternity are all based on historical events, there goes the suspense. Is it immersive? At times.

Much of the first half of the book centers around George Jakes (son of Jacky Jakes and Greg Peshkov) and his attempts
Amanda
I really liked the first book in this trilogy, and the second one was okay -- it was still a fast read despite being over 900 pages. This one, however, would not end.
The highlight of the book was the Cuban Missile Crisis and things just went downhill from there. I don't think that I actually cared about any of the characters, other than the ones from the previous books that he was killing off without much ado.
Also, the epilogue was bad in a very Harry-Potter-epilogue-esque way, totally unneces
Which points of the book did you dislike? 21 128 May 24, 2015 10:38AM
Waste of my time. 1 17 May 04, 2015 03:18PM
did nothing happen in England? 3 56 Mar 17, 2015 01:41PM
Our Very Own Book...: Currently reading.. 7 12 Jan 12, 2015 07:22PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett 5 24 Jan 07, 2015 12:25PM
Your favorite Character 1 20 Jan 06, 2015 06:03PM
  • A King's Ransom (Plantagenets #5)
  • The King's Curse (The Cousins' War, #6)
  • City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan
  • Marquesa de Alorna
  • The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • New York
  • O Homem de Constantinopla
  • Dollbaby
  • O Cavalheiro Inglês
  • Mellan rött och svart
  • La vida cuando era nuestra
  • Hungerelden (Victoria Bergmans svaghet, #2)
  • Burden of Desire
  • Gutenberg's Apprentice
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
  • Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
Ken Follett burst onto the book world in 1978 with Eye of the Needle, a taut and original thriller with a memorable woman character in the central role. The book won the Edgar award and became an outstanding film.

He went on to write four more bestselling thrillers: Triple; The Key to Rebecca; The Man from St Petersburg; and Lie Down with Lions.

He also wrote On Wings of Eagles, the true story of ho
More about Ken Follett...

The Century Trilogy (3 books)
  • Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1)
  • Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)
The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) Eye of the Needle Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)

“The greater their ignorance, the stronger their opinions.” 16 likes
“A man hates the person he has wronged, paradoxically. I think it’s because the victim is a perpetual reminder that he behaved shamefully.” 9 likes