Start by marking “The Feasting Season” as Want to Read:
The Feasting Season

The Feasting Season

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Meg Parker, an American travel-book writer, lives in the Lorraine countryside with her two small children and a neglectful husband. Domestic life is beginning to take its toll until Meg is offered her dream assignment: to write a guidebook about French history. Unfortunately, there is a catch. Jean-Jacques, a scruffy and imperious photographer, has been assigned to the pro ...more
Published July 13th 2007 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Feasting Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feasting Season

Amanda
Dec 06, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
It would be very hard for me not to like a book that takes place in France that is about writing, and food, and has a love story. But this was much more, and I really found myself wondering about the characters when I wasn't with them. When I finished, I eagerly looked up the author to see what else she had written, and if the story continued, and I found out that she had died several years ago. So sad, but I am infinitely glad I read it. Bon appetit!
Julie Failla Earhart
Jan 06, 2015 Julie Failla Earhart rated it it was amazing
I picked this novel up mainly because I was intrigued with the title…and it’s about food. What can be wrong with a novel that centers on a travel writer exploring the regions of France?

American-born Meg Parker is a travel writer who lives with her husband and two children in the Lorraine region of France. Her home office is a fruit cellar where she keeps her mementos of her grandfather. Plugging away on yet another guidebook, she receives an offer from her publisher to write a book about French
Ria
Dec 20, 2009 Ria rated it really liked it
Readers who think this book is simply another piece of Chic Lit need to think again. I am re-reading The Feasting Season, and before reaching page 20 I have already found a number of Shakespearean quotes I can’t wait to use. The first will be a line from Henry the Fifth for my French teacher – “I shall never move thee in French unless it be to laugh at me.” I don’t much like Chic Lit, but I have a stressful life and I do need a bit of escapism. With Nancy Coons I can have my cake and eat it too ...more
LemontreeLime
I had bright hopes for this one, but alas as i slogged through to page 87 I just could not bear to go further. It felt so damn dark, the main character getting smashed about by the elements of her life and the struggle to write a book she had dreamed of, I just could not read the rest. Desole!
Shoshana
Aug 12, 2013 Shoshana rated it it was ok
Shelves: grown-up, 2013, realistic
France! Food! What's not to love? Well, the main character, when she's tedious, and makes horrible decisions, and the male lead that we're supposed to love is also pretty irritating when he's not producing food. (view spoiler) ...more
Kathryn
Jan 07, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Was hoping for a sequel, and was very sad to find that the author had died before having had the chance to write one...
Shelley
Jul 03, 2014 Shelley rated it it was amazing
I've read this twice and love it....wish there was a follow-up, book 2 where JJ and Meg end up together.
Deborah
Jan 08, 2012 Deborah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, foodie, romance
Terry Tschann Skelton
Jan 16, 2013 Terry Tschann Skelton rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
Seldom have I found writing this good to be so sluggish that I've had to force myself to keep picking it up. Although I'm a big fan of French cooking, the French countryside, wine and sex, the pace was so slow and repetitious that I kept skipping pages of redundant emails and text messages trying to find the plot. The main character was really too naive to be believable and I kept wondering what the "worldly" photographer saw in her. Nice sensual descriptions, but not enough story.
Bridget
Jul 14, 2010 Bridget rated it did not like it
I cannot give this book more than one star. The writing was choppy and at times painful, and the storyline was just sad and depressing. I finished it because I bought it and felt I needed to bring some closure. It was like watching a dark movie about someone's life. The main character was weak and continued to make the same poor decisions, even though she knew she was wrong every time. Her learning curve was more like a straight line. Next, please!
Beckysmiley
Oct 05, 2008 Beckysmiley rated it liked it
While this book follows the story of a woman who falls in love with another man and must choose between her new love and her husband and two small children, it is really about France--and food. Lots and lots of food. And sex. This is enough to give anyone the travel bug and a deep relationship with a bottle of wine. Delicious. The plot is really beside the point--who cares, really. But the food. Ah, the food...
Courtney
Jun 24, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Just loved it...romance, history, french and a great ending.....
Debi
Dec 15, 2009 Debi rated it really liked it
I read this book around Thanksgiving and it was a nice romp through the French countryside. Being a vegetarian, I did not enjoy all the descriptions of the food as much as I might have, but I did appreciate how much the protaganist luxuriated in the food. If you are in the mood for a fairly light read with good character development, I would recommend.
Grace
Feb 25, 2008 Grace rated it really liked it
This story is indeed "delicieuse". A saucy tryst set in France. Anyone who has (or hasn't) had to decide between fidelity and passion can identify with the main character Meg. An extremely enjoyable read for all who love food especially French cuisine. I hear the next book is a continuation of Meg's story but this time about wine. I can't wait.
Francine
Mar 29, 2009 Francine rated it really liked it
Yawn - then a bang! The first few chapters of this book are presented as a mundane suburban-fam-does-a-remodel but then it bursts into this unexpected tale of travel, adventure, adultery, lustful luncheons, culinary canoodling. You're so swept up with the fun that you have to wonder, does this book end? And will it suck?
Tennessee O'Donnell
Aug 04, 2009 Tennessee O'Donnell rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book ...took me a little longer to read it then other books, so I could put it down more often! Must say that I always felt like wine and coffee again reading it. Interesting storyline with the fact that the main character is a writer and her partner in crime is a photographer.
Jodie
Jan 23, 2014 Jodie is currently reading it
March/April 2011 book club selection.

Trying to get into this one, but being a story that revolves around French culture, there is actual french in the book's dialog that is distracting me a bit. I want to keep reading though because it has a nice pace to it.
Kwoomac
Aug 04, 2010 Kwoomac rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, food
The story follows a journalist and a photographer as they travel all around France. She's tracing history, he's eating the local foods. I think what kept me going was the beautiful descriptions of the food. The relationship between the two main characters was cliched.
Jillian
Apr 25, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it
Fun guilty pleasure read. Excellent ending. I would highly recommend it for someone who is interested in learning a little more about French food. Fun book! Well worth my $5 off the clearance rack.
Rachel Burward-hoy
Jan 07, 2008 Rachel Burward-hoy rated it it was amazing
Well written and absolutely delicious- if you're into France, history, great food and illicit affairs. I had a very hard time putting it down and felt transported to the French countryside.
Teryn
Mar 08, 2009 Teryn rated it really liked it
This book was really pretty good. It took me a few pages to get into it. What I loved the most about it was the description of the food. Definitely a book for an older audience.
Jen
Aug 06, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of all the possibilities life has to offer! The side story is about writing a history book.... I skipped over all the historic part and loved the main theme!
Mariela
Apr 17, 2008 Mariela rated it it was ok
Not worth the read. Chic lit at almost its worst and all it does it make you hungry. coons' writing is nothing special and her imagery is way too obvious.
Rose
Dec 08, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it
I would have given this 5 stars had I liked the main character more. She was difficult for me to understand, but I enjoyed this novel anyways.
Diana
May 01, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, a random pick off the paperback shelf at the library. Lots of literary references and lots about food and wine.
Jane
Mar 03, 2009 Jane rated it it was ok
Excellent read if you love food and reading about cooking and eating. Love story is fine, but takes a back seat to the food writing. Yum.
Aubrey
Dec 04, 2014 Aubrey rated it did not like it
I loved Coons' description of food and frolicking around the French countryside, but the story was lame.
Oct 18, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I started out really liking the story, but ended up becoming bored with both the characters and storyline.
Teresa
Feb 27, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it
France + food + sensual, heart-breaking, realistic love story? How can you not enjoy this?
Jasmine
May 19, 2008 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie
it's kinda housewife romance novel-ish, but the food descriptions are fantastic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Dream of You
  • Hungry for Happiness
  • A Card from Angela Carter
  • Mortal Love
  • Hearts at Home (Heavenly Daze, #5)
  • On Wings of the Morning
  • Renato's Luck: A Novel
  • Plain Language
  • Chambermaid: A Novel
  • A Place for Us: A Greek Immigrant Boy's Odyssey to a New Country and an Unknown Father
  • South from the Limpopo: Travels Through South Africa