Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (Star Trek)

Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (Star Trek)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, by Solow, Herbert F. and Robert H. Justman
Published June 3rd 1996 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Star Trek

Jen
Great book for any fan wanting to learn more about the original series, but be warned: you're not going to like Gene Roddenberry after reading it. The book's two authors claim to have been close personal friends of Roddenberry's, so I guess even his friends weren't able to say much good about him. From claiming credit for other's work, to his constant womanizing, affairs, and treatment of the actresses as nothing more than sexual objects, to his total abandonment of the series the second he thou...more
Mary JL
Mar 27, 2011 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Star Trek fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: No one
There are many fan legends and ideas which have grown up in the 40-plus years Star Trek has been with us.

Herbert Solow and Robert Justman were with the original Star Trek series from the very beginning. They give a lot of "behind the scenes" details; photoes---not just of the show but backstage; conventions and so on.

Many died in the wool ST fans think Gene Roddenberry was semi-divine. (Really). There is NO doubt he has a great idea in Star Trek and worked very hard to bring a great idea to life...more
Laura Scott
Dec 31, 2013 Laura Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, people in film/television production
I've read just about all of the "making of" books on Star Trek, starting with The Making of Star Trek (which is still perhaps my favorite).

For anyone who does film, video, television production, this is a must read. I truly enjoyed reading how they bootstrapped this show with no real budget. The combination of tales from the front office, related by Herb Solow, and the trenches of production, by Bob Justman, paints a fascinating picture of the behind-the-scenes action on this show.

I love how the...more
Bryn Young-roberts
Probably the best and most frank account of what really went on behind the scenes of a tv show - at times its even quite shocking!
TrumanCoyote
Pluses and minuses--tended to seem a bit canned; the long quotes from the principals were obviously written/prepared, even though they looked like an oral history--and who wrote the text in the middle? Also the sic's in the memos grew wearisome. But great was the recounting of how the "Space: the final frontier" speech came to be--in step-by-step facsimile recreation. And I loved Fred Freiberger's quote: "I thought I could never have a more unpleasant experience in my life than when I, a Jewish...more
David Monroe
Mar 19, 2014 David Monroe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Trekkers
I'm glad George Takei shared a link about this book on Facebook, because I had completely forgotten about it. I still have it, it's just in a box somewhere. It's not well written and I remember it jumped around a bit, but it gives credit to Herb Solow (for good or bad) for giving TOS trek one more season. Worth a read if you find it cheap online or at the library or in a used bookstore.
Billy
This was an excellent insight into the creation and production of the original series. It also illustrates the complicated personality of Gene Rodenberry quite well - and sheds some much needed light onto the fact that there were many contributors to the vision of Star Trek. A very interesting read.
David Glenn Dixon
Crucial research material. Borrowed from library and read for 2006 EMP presentation "Boldly Gone: A Personal Trek into the Shameless, Sincere Music of Leonard Nimoy (With an Illuminating Side Trip into the Vocalizing of William Shatner)."

Bought hardback copy late September 2011.

Finished first reading 3/26/2006. Second reading, finished 4/2/2012, less enjoyable. When you're culling it for info and the material's all fresh, it's more satisfying than when you're reading it for pleasure. A lot of aw...more
Zep Williams
A good behind the scenes of TV production; the stories about Lucille Ball, Desilu, and their other shows at the time (Mission Impossible, Mannix) are as interesting as the Trek lore and less familiar (Shatner struggled with his weight? And wore a toupee? The hell you say!) A lot of axe grinding over Gene Roddenberry and his willingness to take credit for accomplishments not his own, and his womanizing, but the details of running a successful TV studio on a shoestring is much more compelling. I d...more
Phillip
I like this book. It is slightly better than OK.

The producers of Star Trek describe how the DesiLu company managed two get orders for three new show the year that Star Trek came out.

They describe the personalities in the company and the challenges of getting Star Trek on the air.

I did get the feeling the during the entire book that it was sanitized. Also, the gray scale photos are not the greatest.

But, it is a nice little read.
Todd
I have been a Star Trek fan for years. I can remember watching the reruns on TV after coming home from school and late night on the weekends. So I looked forward to reading some more of the behind the scenes stories. I was an easy read and all the supporting documents that the authors included were great. It was good to see Roddenberry in a more realistic light.

A great read for and Trek Fan.
Jason Klimowicz
I wanted more stories about the actors and info on the shooting of each episode. Instead, the book focused more on the behind the scenes production (procurement of costumes, writers, etc.) of the show. However, I did learn that Gene Roddenberry sounded like a real creep.
Kimbeattie
Star Trek was a landmark TV series. It's always interesting to read about how the show was produced and to hear the "behind the camera" stories of the people who made the show happen. Reading this book sparked my interest in re-watching the original series again.
Michael
This was a good book full of behind the scenes background detached from the egos of the actors who themselves have filled the shelves with their memories. This put me in the mind of having been there very well.
Abby
Dec 31, 2011 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: Cynthy McCrory
A history of the original Star Trek series with lots of fun facts and pictures. A great holiday gift that wil make a super coffee table book and talking point.
John Biles
John Biles is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Julie *Friday's Child*
Julie *Friday's Child* marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Daron Selvig
Daron Selvig is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Olena
Olena marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014