Start by marking “Inside Star Trek: The Real Story” as Want to Read:
Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Before the actors were cast, before the U.S.S. Enterprise™ was designed, before the phenomenon exploded, there were three men who set about creating the Star Trek legend. Gene Roddenberry died in 1991. Herb Solow and Bob Justman now remain the only two people on the planet Earth who really know what happened in those early, heady days.

INSIDE STAR TREK is a comprehensive lo
Published June 3rd 1996 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Star Trek

Jen
May 27, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Great book for any fan wanting to learn more about the original series, but be warned: you're not going to like Gene Roddenberry after reading it. The book's two authors claim to have been close personal friends of Roddenberry's, so I guess even his friends weren't able to say much good about him. From claiming credit for other's work, to his constant womanizing, affairs, and treatment of the actresses as nothing more than sexual objects, to his total abandonment of the series the second he thou ...more
Mary JL
Mar 27, 2011 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any Star Trek fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: No one
There are many fan legends and ideas which have grown up in the 40-plus years Star Trek has been with us.

Herbert Solow and Robert Justman were with the original Star Trek series from the very beginning. They give a lot of "behind the scenes" details; photoes---not just of the show but backstage; conventions and so on.

Many died in the wool ST fans think Gene Roddenberry was semi-divine. (Really). There is NO doubt he has a great idea in Star Trek and worked very hard to bring a great idea to life
Daniel Kukwa
Mar 26, 2016 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
A straightforward, warts-and-all production p.o.v. history of the original "Star Trek" -- very much from behind the scenes. It's full of details that are amazing, preposterous, triumphant & tragic. It's also a very clear-eyed overview of Gene Roddenberry: the man, the myth, and the myth-maker he became. As an anecdotal history, it is beyond priceless.
Bryn Young-roberts
Jul 17, 2011 Bryn Young-roberts rated it it was amazing
Probably the best and most frank account of what really went on behind the scenes of a tv show - at times its even quite shocking!
TrumanCoyote
Mar 26, 2013 TrumanCoyote rated it liked it
Pluses and minuses--tended to seem a bit canned; the long quotes from the principals were obviously written/prepared, even though they looked like an oral history--and who wrote the text in the middle? Also the sic's in the memos grew wearisome. But great was the recounting of how the "Space: the final frontier" speech came to be--in step-by-step facsimile recreation. And I loved Fred Freiberger's quote: "I thought I could never have a more unpleasant experience in my life than when I, a Jewish ...more
Octavi
Jun 20, 2016 Octavi rated it it was amazing
Genial y exhaustivo libro sobre la creación, caída y resurgimiento de Star Trek. Con documentos gráficos y fotos impagables. "Fascinante"...
Brad Abraham
Mar 01, 2017 Brad Abraham rated it really liked it
In 1996 I worked as an usher at a Star Trek exhibit in Toronto. the exhibit closed at the end of December that year, and while the regular staff was let go, I was kept on to help pack up the costumes, props, set pieces, and gift shop, for its move to Niagara Falls. Packing up the gift shop, there was a stack of HC copies of INSIDE STAR TREK, signed by co-author Herb Solow. One of those HC's found their way into my satchel. Actually, it was cool with management so not technically theft.

The book w
Lily
Mar 10, 2016 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I was curious about what went on behind the scenes while Star Trek the original series was being made. After reading this book I got an eyeful to say the least. I didn't realize the uphill battle that everyone had making this series. NBC and the studio didn't stand behind the show. I never did believe that the Nielsen ratings ever did represent the viewing public well at all. And after two letter writing campaigns showing that ST did indeed have a large following they still didn't treat the show ...more
Devyn Duffy
May 15, 2016 Devyn Duffy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of TV, especially Star Trek
Recommended to Devyn by: saw it at the library
Of course this is a book about Star Trek, but more than that, it's a book about the making of a TV series in the 1960s. The behind-the-scenes details are astounding. A show was placed on a network TV schedule with few completed scripts, a budget too small to realize the creators' vision, and a struggling studio taking a financial loss on every episode. With so little foresight and so little coordination between the financial and creative sides, it's a miracle that Star Trek ever aired at all. On ...more
Laura Scott
Dec 31, 2013 Laura Scott rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, people in film/television production
I've read just about all of the "making of" books on Star Trek, starting with The Making of Star Trek (which is still perhaps my favorite).

For anyone who does film, video, television production, this is a must read. I truly enjoyed reading how they bootstrapped this show with no real budget. The combination of tales from the front office, related by Herb Solow, and the trenches of production, by Bob Justman, paints a fascinating picture of the behind-the-scenes action on this show.

I love how the
Leo H
Apr 04, 2016 Leo H rated it really liked it
Very very good. An in depth look at the original series of Star Trek, written by the Programme Executive in charge of commissioning it and running it, (Solow, and no I don't know how to pronounce that either) and the Associate Producer, who at several points seems to have had nervous breakdowns handling EVERYTHING on the show (Justman).

Lots of interesting stuff I didn't know, for example, the production company who made Star Trek, Desilu, was owned by the American TV Comedian Lucille Ball. Whic
M Christopher
A re-read of a book I've owned for years. "Inside Star Trek" provides a new look at the near mythic development and production of The Original Series (ST:TOS) from the perspective of two men who had a great deal to do with it: Desilu/Paramount executive Herb Solow (remember his credit transposed over the face of Balok at the end of the show?) and assistant director/producer Bob Justman. Overall, the book is an affectionate but unflinching look at the struggle to get Star Trek on the air and keep ...more
Cynthia
Jul 15, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
If you like the original Star Trek and occasionally watch a rerun on TV this book is for you. It has a lot of detail about the production, writing, cast and crew of the program. There is a bit that seems gossipy, such as naming all the women on the cast who slept with Gene Roddenberry. But the rest of it is very interesting. It is remarkable that the series was ever made with all it had stacked against it.

I especially like all the photos and original memos and documents that are included in the
David Glenn Dixon
Crucial research material. Borrowed from library and read for 2006 EMP presentation "Boldly Gone: A Personal Trek into the Shameless, Sincere Music of Leonard Nimoy (With an Illuminating Side Trip into the Vocalizing of William Shatner)."

Bought hardback copy late September 2011.

Finished first reading 3/26/2006. Second reading, finished 4/2/2012, less enjoyable. When you're culling it for info and the material's all fresh, it's more satisfying than when you're reading it for pleasure. A lot of aw
David R.
Aug 14, 2015 David R. rated it liked it
This is one of those sometimes annoying kiss and tell treatments of pop culture, in this case, the 1960s run of the original Star Trek series. Solow and Justman were key figures in the early struggle to develop and continue the series, and decades later decided to tell their story. Which is, essentially, "Gene Roddenberry was a sneaky rat." Their complaint (arguably justified) is that Roddenberry stole too much of the credit for Star Trek, especially as a television entity. The book unfortunatel ...more
Zep Williams
Jan 04, 2013 Zep Williams rated it liked it
A good behind the scenes of TV production; the stories about Lucille Ball, Desilu, and their other shows at the time (Mission Impossible, Mannix) are as interesting as the Trek lore and less familiar (Shatner struggled with his weight? And wore a toupee? The hell you say!) A lot of axe grinding over Gene Roddenberry and his willingness to take credit for accomplishments not his own, and his womanizing, but the details of running a successful TV studio on a shoestring is much more compelling. I d ...more
David Monroe
Mar 19, 2014 David Monroe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Trekkers
I'm glad George Takei shared a link about this book on Facebook, because I had completely forgotten about it. I still have it, it's just in a box somewhere. It's not well written and I remember it jumped around a bit, but it gives credit to Herb Solow (for good or bad) for giving TOS trek one more season. Worth a read if you find it cheap online or at the library or in a used bookstore.
Phillip
Feb 11, 2012 Phillip rated it liked it
I like this book. It is slightly better than OK.

The producers of Star Trek describe how the DesiLu company managed two get orders for three new show the year that Star Trek came out.

They describe the personalities in the company and the challenges of getting Star Trek on the air.

I did get the feeling the during the entire book that it was sanitized. Also, the gray scale photos are not the greatest.

But, it is a nice little read.
Todd
Apr 09, 2012 Todd rated it liked it
I have been a Star Trek fan for years. I can remember watching the reruns on TV after coming home from school and late night on the weekends. So I looked forward to reading some more of the behind the scenes stories. I was an easy read and all the supporting documents that the authors included were great. It was good to see Roddenberry in a more realistic light.

A great read for and Trek Fan.
Ryan Matney
Apr 22, 2015 Ryan Matney rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It tells you every you need to know about star trek and more!!!!!!! I really enjoy learning about the functions of star trek. Learning about the production issues and the budgeting problems are actually really interesting. This really great about taking you threw each detail that is involved. I really liked learning about the props and sound process.
This book is great for any star trek nerd looking for a good read.
Billy
Apr 22, 2014 Billy rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent insight into the creation and production of the original series. It also illustrates the complicated personality of Gene Rodenberry quite well - and sheds some much needed light onto the fact that there were many contributors to the vision of Star Trek. A very interesting read.
Mark
Jan 16, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
This is a good, detailed, and entertaining account of how the original Star Trek series came to be and how it died after three seasons before becoming a cult! Some illusions are shattered though.
Jason Klimowicz
Sep 22, 2012 Jason Klimowicz rated it it was ok
I wanted more stories about the actors and info on the shooting of each episode. Instead, the book focused more on the behind the scenes production (procurement of costumes, writers, etc.) of the show. However, I did learn that Gene Roddenberry sounded like a real creep.
Michael
Sep 03, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, audiobook
This was a good book full of behind the scenes background detached from the egos of the actors who themselves have filled the shelves with their memories. This put me in the mind of having been there very well.
Jeff Wetherington
Apr 29, 2016 Jeff Wetherington rated it it was amazing
A detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the creation and execution of the original Star Trek TV series from those would know; because they were the top-level people in charge of getting this classic show off the ground and fighting for its continued airing over the course of 3 seasons.
Kimbeattie
Jul 24, 2011 Kimbeattie rated it really liked it
Star Trek was a landmark TV series. It's always interesting to read about how the show was produced and to hear the "behind the camera" stories of the people who made the show happen. Reading this book sparked my interest in re-watching the original series again.
Mumbler
Sep 06, 2015 Mumbler rated it liked it
Interesting for fans who are in deep. A lot about how the series came to be, and the endless labors to keep it going. but not much at all about life on the set.
Gregory
Jan 16, 2015 Gregory rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Abby
Dec 31, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: Cynthy McCrory
A history of the original Star Trek series with lots of fun facts and pictures. A great holiday gift that wil make a super coffee table book and talking point.
George
Sep 11, 2016 George rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-nf
Well written and well documented account of the REAL story behind Star Trek
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers
  • U.S.S. Enterprise Ncc-1701-D Blueprints: Star Trek : The Next Generation (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Making of Star Trek