Start by marking “Friends With Boys” as Want to Read:
Friends With Boys

Friends With Boys

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,833 Ratings  ·  1,164 Reviews
After years of homeschooling, Maggie is starting high school. It's pretty terrifying.

Maggie's big brothers are there to watch her back, but ever since Mom left it just hasn't been the same.

Besides her brothers, Maggie's never had any real friends before. Lucy and Alistair don't have lots of friends either. But they eat lunch with her at school and bring her along on their
Published February 28th 2012 by First Second

Rainbow
Sep 03, 2013 Rainbow rated it it was amazing
Really lovely and thoughtful. Immediately wanted to share it with my 15-year-old niece.
Natalie
Apr 04, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
“It’s easy to lose your soul in high school.”

description

A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist! Maggie McKay is starting her first day of high school after being homeschooled by her mother for years.
It’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. And maybe make a new friend or two—one who isn’t one of her brothers.

This story is truly and exceptionally great!
I honestly wasn’t expecting it to affect me so deeply.
I could really really relate to Maggie during that nerve-wracking first day. E
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jan 10, 2012 Anzu The Great Destroyer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all the cool kids from the block
Come meet the gang! This here’s the happy family.

This here’s Maggie, our dearest heroine.

Then we have Lloyd and Zander (aka the twins). They have a major love/hate thing going on.

And the overly talented Daniel!

He’s actually a zombie hunter. But don’t tell anyone!

And last but not least, the coolest people around the block! My newest BFF, Lucy.

And her brother (and my newest crush) Alistair.

And let’s not forget the persistent stalker ghost who keeps on popping up in the strangest places!

Sum all the
Jo
Nov 25, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it
“What about you? What’s your brand of crazy?”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Um… huh?! Is this a series? But mostly fantastic.

High Points.
Maggie. Lucy. Alistair. The Brother’s Brill. New school. New friends. Alien. Sigourney Weaver in a bikini. Maritime Ghosts. Maps. “Awesome Rebel Social Group”. Change. “Drinking the Kool-Aid.” Awesome dad. Graveyards. Secret pasts. Volleyball boys. Friends you don’t grow out of.

Low Points.
I’m not sure whether Ms Hicks plans to write a sequel or turn this stor
Apr 03, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Graphic novels could be the longest on-again-off-again-still-going love affair in my life. Whichever form the tale takes, funny pages, comic book, web, or novel, the art has been a part of my reading life and love as a far back as I can stretch the ‘ole memory. Even before I could truly read, I was flipping through the funny papers with my father, trying to look all grown up, imitating his ruffle-the-paper-grumpiness on Sunday mornings. :) Sooo…

Nothing plays with my heartstrings and emotions whi
Melki
It sucks to be Maggie! She wants things to be the way they always were, staying at home with her three brothers, being home-schooled by her mother. But, mom has gone AWOL, and Maggie's headin' out that door to school for the first time. There she will encounter friends and enemies as she learns the ins and outs of being a typical high school freshman. Oh, yeah...and she keeps getting visits from the ghostly widow of a dead sea captain...(?)

I loved Maggie's relationship with her brothers. Affecti
Raina
Aug 03, 2012 Raina rated it liked it
Wow, this is hardly at all like I expected.

The title is a bit misleading. With a widely-used phrase like "Friends with Boys," I expected a story focusing on that element of life, with some discussion of gender dynamics.

But this is really not that at all. Granted, Maggie only has one friend who's a girl, but the story doesn't spend any time dwelling on the complexities of gendered life.

Between that and the mockup covers in the extra content in the back (which mostly feature the title "The Educa
♥Rachel♥
Mar 12, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
This was the first graphic novel I've read. I have no idea why I waited so long!

Maggie has a lot going on in her life. Her mother, who has home-schooled Maggie up until this point, has left the family. She's starting high-school with no prior experience, and really no other friends besides her three older brothers. Add to that, she's being haunted by a very sad ghost for reasons unknown. Maggie is really overwhelmed trying to make her way in school. Just figuring out who she's going to eat lunch
Maggie
Feb 27, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
Shelves: reviewed, 2012
NEW GENRE!

For me, at least. I've always considered myself an open-minded person, but then I look at my shelves (YA, Aussie YA, Aussie YA, Classic, Generation Kill) and I realize how limited my book choices have been. I read my first Urban Fantasy series this year (Mercy Thompson, baby!) and now with Friends with Boys, I've entered Graphic Novel territory.

And I liked it!

This is the story of Maggie McKay, a homeschooled girl about to enter the shark tank of high school for the first time. She's de
Stacey (prettybooks)
I borrowed Friends With Boys from Debbie while I was loaning her Relish – My Life in the Kitchen , one of my favourite graphic novels. Friends With Boys is the first graphic novel I’ve actually read since Relish nearly a year ago. I was particularly looking forward to it because it’s part contemporary – about a teenager called Maggie who used to be homeschooled until her mother left home suddenly, and now she has to find a way to navigate the treacherous world of high school – and part paranorm ...more
Noelle
Feb 25, 2012 Noelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
You can read the entire comic for a limited time at Faith Erin Hicks' website Friends With Boys. Also, reading her creative process at the bottom of this page was pretty cool.

Friends With Boys is a web comic (soon to be graphic novel) by Faith Erin Hicks featuring previously home-schooled Maggie McKay's experiences adjusting to public high school, making friends outside her family and oh yeah...figuring out why that pesky ghost is following her around.

Maggie is a likeable, sympathetic heroine wh
David
Feb 03, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: homeschooled teenagers haunted by ghosts
Maggie is a fourteen-year-old girl who was homeschooled, like her three brothers, until her mother abandoned the family and took off. Now Maggie (whose father is the police chief) has to go to high school for the first time. Besides dealing with the usual trials of being the new kid at school, she's also haunted.

This graphic novel is mostly a sweet family + high school drama (Maggie needs to find herself, she's got issues with her mother having left, her brothers have friends and nemeses at high
Ariel
Aug 06, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it
Well this was fun! :D

I liked the characters: They were all pretty unique, felt original, and nobody felt superfluous.
I liked the story: I mean, it was a little bit random, but it was a fun time and it kept me interested the entire way through.
I liked the themes: It wasn't a heavy read in any means, but the few things that its as trying to say were clear and nice.
I liked the art: It was funky and cool and "hip" (like the kids say now-a-days), and easy to flip through.

I, you know, liked it! I defi
Jubilation Lee
So I tried to write a song that would encompass my love of Faith Erin Hicks, but apparently I was not meant to be a lyricist, because all I could come up with was

Faith Erin Hicks!
You’re the author I adoooooore!
I want you to write mooooooooooore!
Is that so much to ask fooooooooooooooooor??

and clearly that’s not going to be winning me any awards.

Although really upon reflection I’ve decided it should. Goddamn I’m creative.

But anyway, Friends with Boys is yet another book by this author I’ve enjoye
Liz Janet
Mar 15, 2016 Liz Janet rated it liked it
This is a story that I enjoyed for the plot, but not very much on the art aspect. It looks more like a manga, which might have been a better format. But, nonetheless, it was very interesting. Now, the title is a bit misleading, she is not a friend with just boys, they are her brothers, but it also forgets to mention that she is sort of haunted by a ghost. Yet, WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE STORY IN A SORT OF CLIFFHANGER? I NEED TO HAVE ACTUAL ANSWERS WOMAN!
Sara
Apr 12, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok
I...didn't get this.

Friends With Boys was an incredibly baffling read with a misleading title. I'm all for ambiguous "make you think" titles but this book is not about, say, a girl who is only friends with boys and has trouble being friends with girls. Or maybe a book about a girl and guy breaking up and trying to stay friends. This is a book about a girl who was home schooled till high school by her mother who suddenly abandoned the family who's super close to her three older brothers and routi
BookCupid
Feb 26, 2016 BookCupid rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Gah! Where is the ending of the book? It can't finish like this.

As a home schooled child, Maggie's only close friends have been her brothers. But now that she enters high school, she must learn all about acceptance, putting herself out there, and finding peace with her mother's mysterious departure.

The illustrations were well done, and the characters easy to relate to. I loved the whole punk hair does. It was a breath of fresh air seeing teens that didn't fit into stereotypes. A quick read that
Sesana
Mar 08, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Maggie McKay has been homeschooled her whole life, and is about to start public high school for the first time. Her mother, who had homeschooled her and her three brothers, has suddenly left the family. So she has to adjust to an entirely new setting, making friends who aren't related to her, a missing mother, and brothers who are suddenly on the outs with each other. Oh, and the ghost of a sea captain's widow has been following her for years.

Forget the ghost for a minute, because she's not the
Lisa
Jan 23, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
[image error]

http://www.friendswithboys.com/ <-Go here if you want to read some of this comic(there seems to be one page posted per day and the entire book is almost posted)

The word that comes to mind when I think of this book is "endearing". Everything about it is endearing. The characters are loveable, the plot moves at a fast pace and the artwork is gorgeous(in my opinion.)

I loved how the author could say so much with so little. There were times when there would be a few pages with no text
Dov
Okay, my categories are a little misleading, so I will start off by saying, there are no werewolves or zombies, but there is a ghost and the the main character loves the movie Alien (and sees it during the course of the book) and there is a high school play about zombies. So, zombies, aliens, and whatnot = ghost.

There is also no explicit queer content, but enough mystery around potential crushes and queerness that I think it would be a fun book for LGBT kids.

So, now, the review.

This is a fun, s
Sam Quixote
Jan 26, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
In Chuck Klosterman’s delightful book on villains, I Wear The Black Hat, the pop culture critic writes that he sometimes wishes he could just write “I LOVE THIS” or “I HATE THIS” when reviewing certain works of art and leave it at that, not (entirely) out of laziness but because teasing out the reasoning behind it dilutes the purity of his visceral reaction. I’m tempted to just say for this book “I LOVE THIS x 1000!” and it’d be true but probably not that informative!

Maggie is about to start her
Chibineko
I have to admit that I'm a big fan of indie comics in general. Hopeless-Savages, Koko be Good, and Blue Monday... I love them all. Friends With Boys can now be added to this list. I literally sat and devoured this in one night, flipping back to scenes and images that I particularly loved, especially Maggie's interactions with her family.

One of the best things about this comic was that the main character isn't some picture-perfect character with flawless skin and great hair. (You know the ones I'
Seth T.
Nov 05, 2015 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

I have a bit of a history with homeschooling. A personal history. I wasn't homeschooled myself (heavens no!) but my second, third, and fourth girlfriends were all (curiously enough!) homeschooled. None of them knew each other and they didn't even share social circles. Weird, right? My mom was even concerned enough about the social wackiness of homeschool girls that she declined to introduce me to the girl who would become my fourth girlfriend (and eventually wife).*

I don't have anything particul
Emilia P
Aug 10, 2012 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Decide what kind of book you are, FWB. Also, get a better title. This book wasn't about being friends with boys. It was a little bit about having brothers, and a little bit about Friends with Mohawks. And also about ghosts. It wasn't really about Being A Teen, and I think it lost a lot by being forced into being framed that way. A squarer focus on the ghost story would have made it a much better book I think. With so many un-fleshed-out plots, it was sort of forgettable.

That said, Faith Erin Hic
Josiphine
Okay, ready? 3...2...1...RANT.

"Wow, so you were homeschooled before you came to high school? That's so weird!"

Why. Why is this weird. I've never met a homeschooler who thought it was weird. I've never met a homeschooler who said, "Wow, you were public schooled? That's so weird!" Do you not get that this is rude or what.

"You just seem so normal!"

Why wouldn't she be normal? People are always surprised when I say I was homeschooled. It's not like you can tell just by looking. Homeschoolers are peop
Wendy
Jun 28, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
(edited for type-o's) First read in April, just re-read. ** some spoilery spoilers, people. **

Faith Erin Hicks, I command you to write faster. Kick it in to gear and get your next GN out. I demand more from you!

I actually read this one first, then went back and read her earlier works. I've enjoyed each of them, but this one most of all.

It's quirky, charming, funny and actually has a plot and story that resolve themselves reasonably well by the end. Although, the first time around, I didn't real
Jessica-Robyn
To see all the links included in this review and a preview of the art check it out on my blog Reading Robyn.

If you're interested in reading Friends With Boys and would like a free preview you can read the first 20 pages on the official website.

I'll just come out and say it, Friends With Boys is my favourite graphic novel I've read this year. Every graphic novel I read after this will have some stiff competition for my love. I honestly don't know if it can be done.

Hick's is one hell of an intere
Amber J.
Feb 07, 2012 Amber J. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes graphic novels
This was my first graphic novel, so it was a little strange to experience a whole story told in this format. I really liked the multiple subplots going on in this book. Although, I thought the secret history between Alistair and the volleyball team captain guy would be more juicy (it seemed the author set it up that way) but I was let down when we find out the truth.

I also really really liked the illustration, which I guess is the most important part of a graphic novel. I would buy other work by
Elizabeth A
Dec 28, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015, kids-ya
After years of homeschooling, Maggie is about to start High School. Oh, and her mother went walkabout, and the only people she knows in this school are her brothers, and she has to learn to navigate physical, social and emotional hurdles. And if that weren't enough, she is being haunted by a ghost.

This graphic novel is targeted at the tween/teen crowd, and can be summed up in on word: Cute. Will be recommending it to my nieces and nephews.
cEe beE
Nov 06, 2012 cEe beE rated it it was amazing
Yay!

1) Friends with Boys is the FIRST book I won on Goodreads!

2) It's a graphic novel and the artwork is very attractive and clean.

3) I enjoyed Faith Erin Hick's story about a teenager named Maggie dealing with a transition from homeschooling to public high school, making new friends, and her mother's abandonment of their family.

It's so cool to win a book that turns out to be an awesome, great read!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #17 Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 11:31PM
What was the point of the ghost? 5 56 Dec 03, 2014 12:57AM
2013 Hub Reading ...: Friends with Boys 4 19 Feb 22, 2013 08:58AM
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Broxo
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Americus
  • Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Same Difference
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely h ...more
More about Faith Erin Hicks...

“It's easy to lose your soul in high school.” 2 likes