Start by marking “Friends with Boys” as Want to Read:
Friends with Boys

Friends with Boys

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  5,979 ratings  ·  850 reviews
After years of homeschooling, Maggie is starting high school. It's pretty terrifying.

Maggie's big brothers are there to watch her back, but ever since Mom left it just hasn't been the same.

Besides her brothers, Maggie's never had any real friends before. Lucy and Alistair don't have lots of friends either. But they eat lunch with her at school and bring her along on their
Published February 28th 2012 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Friends with Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends with Boys

Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jan 10, 2012 Anzu The Great Destroyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all the cool kids from the block
Come meet the gang! This here’s the happy family.

This here’s Maggie, our dearest heroine.

Then we have Lloyd and Zander (aka the twins). They have a major love/hate thing going on.

And the overly talented Daniel!

He’s actually a zombie hunter. But don’t tell anyone!

And last but not least, the coolest people around the block! My newest BFF, Lucy.

And her brother (and my newest crush) Alistair.

And let’s not forget the persistent stalker ghost who keeps on popping up in the strangest places!

Sum all the
Rainbow
Really lovely and thoughtful. Immediately wanted to share it with my 15-year-old niece.
Jo
“What about you? What’s your brand of crazy?”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Um… huh?! Is this a series? But mostly fantastic.

High Points.
Maggie. Lucy. Alistair. The Brother’s Brill. New school. New friends. Alien. Sigourney Weaver in a bikini. Maritime Ghosts. Maps. “Awesome Rebel Social Group”. Change. “Drinking the Kool-Aid.” Awesome dad. Graveyards. Secret pasts. Volleyball boys. Friends you don’t grow out of.

Low Points.
I’m not sure whether Ms Hicks plans to write a sequel or turn this story
Graphic novels could be the longest on-again-off-again-still-going love affair in my life. Whichever form the tale takes, funny pages, comic book, web, or novel, the art has been a part of my reading life and love as a far back as I can stretch the ‘ole memory. Even before I could truly read, I was flipping through the funny papers with my father, trying to look all grown up, imitating his ruffle-the-paper-grumpiness on Sunday mornings. :) Sooo…

Nothing plays with my heartstrings and emotions whi
Melki
It sucks to be Maggie! She wants things to be the way they always were, staying at home with her three brothers, being home-schooled by her mother. But, mom has gone AWOL, and Maggie's headin' out that door to school for the first time. There she will encounter friends and enemies as she learns the ins and outs of being a typical high school freshman. Oh, yeah...and she keeps getting visits from the ghostly widow of a dead sea captain...(?)

I loved Maggie's relationship with her brothers. Affecti
Maggie
Feb 27, 2012 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
NEW GENRE!

For me, at least. I've always considered myself an open-minded person, but then I look at my shelves (YA, Aussie YA, Aussie YA, Classic, Generation Kill) and I realize how limited my book choices have been. I read my first Urban Fantasy series this year (Mercy Thompson, baby!) and now with Friends with Boys, I've entered Graphic Novel territory.

And I liked it!

This is the story of Maggie McKay, a homeschooled girl about to enter the shark tank of high school for the first time. She's de
♥Rachel♥
This was the first graphic novel I've read. I have no idea why I waited so long!

Maggie has a lot going on in her life. Her mother, who has home-schooled Maggie up until this point, has left the family. She's starting high-school with no prior experience, and really no other friends besides her three older brothers. Add to that, she's being haunted by a very sad ghost for reasons unknown. Maggie is really overwhelmed trying to make her way in school. Just figuring out who she's going to eat lunch
Raina
Wow, this is hardly at all like I expected.

The title is a bit misleading. With a widely-used phrase like "Friends with Boys," I expected a story focusing on that element of life, with some discussion of gender dynamics.

But this is really not that at all. Granted, Maggie only has one friend who's a girl, but the story doesn't spend any time dwelling on the complexities of gendered life.

Between that and the mockup covers in the extra content in the back (which mostly feature the title "The Educa
Noelle
You can read the entire comic for a limited time at Faith Erin Hicks' website Friends With Boys. Also, reading her creative process at the bottom of this page was pretty cool.

Friends With Boys is a web comic (soon to be graphic novel) by Faith Erin Hicks featuring previously home-schooled Maggie McKay's experiences adjusting to public high school, making friends outside her family and oh yeah...figuring out why that pesky ghost is following her around.

Maggie is a likeable, sympathetic heroine wh
David
Feb 03, 2013 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschooled teenagers haunted by ghosts
Maggie is a fourteen-year-old girl who was homeschooled, like her three brothers, until her mother abandoned the family and took off. Now Maggie (whose father is the police chief) has to go to high school for the first time. Besides dealing with the usual trials of being the new kid at school, she's also haunted.

This graphic novel is mostly a sweet family + high school drama (Maggie needs to find herself, she's got issues with her mother having left, her brothers have friends and nemeses at high
Monica!
So I tried to write a song that would encompass my love of Faith Erin Hicks, but apparently I was not meant to be a lyricist, because all I could come up with was

Faith Erin Hicks!
You’re the author I adoooooore!
I want you to write mooooooooooore!
Is that so much to ask fooooooooooooooooor??

and clearly that’s not going to be winning me any awards.

Although really upon reflection I’ve decided it should. Goddamn I’m creative.

But anyway, Friends with Boys is yet another book by this author I’ve enjoye
Lisa
[image error]

http://www.friendswithboys.com/ <-Go here if you want to read some of this comic(there seems to be one page posted per day and the entire book is almost posted)

The word that comes to mind when I think of this book is "endearing". Everything about it is endearing. The characters are loveable, the plot moves at a fast pace and the artwork is gorgeous(in my opinion.)

I loved how the author could say so much with so little. There were times when there would be a few pages with no text
Ariel
Aug 06, 2014 Ariel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Well this was fun! :D

I liked the characters: They were all pretty unique, felt original, and nobody felt superfluous.
I liked the story: I mean, it was a little bit random, but it was a fun time and it kept me interested the entire way through.
I liked the themes: It wasn't a heavy read in any means, but the few things that its as trying to say were clear and nice.
I liked the art: It was funky and cool and "hip" (like the kids say now-a-days), and easy to flip through.

I, you know, liked it! I defi
Chibineko
I have to admit that I'm a big fan of indie comics in general. Hopeless-Savages, Koko be Good, and Blue Monday... I love them all. Friends With Boys can now be added to this list. I literally sat and devoured this in one night, flipping back to scenes and images that I particularly loved, especially Maggie's interactions with her family.

One of the best things about this comic was that the main character isn't some picture-perfect character with flawless skin and great hair. (You know the ones I'
Sesana
Maggie McKay has been homeschooled her whole life, and is about to start public high school for the first time. Her mother, who had homeschooled her and her three brothers, has suddenly left the family. So she has to adjust to an entirely new setting, making friends who aren't related to her, a missing mother, and brothers who are suddenly on the outs with each other. Oh, and the ghost of a sea captain's widow has been following her for years.

Forget the ghost for a minute, because she's not the
Wendy
(edited for type-o's) First read in April, just re-read. ** some spoilery spoilers, people. **

Faith Erin Hicks, I command you to write faster. Kick it in to gear and get your next GN out. I demand more from you!

I actually read this one first, then went back and read her earlier works. I've enjoyed each of them, but this one most of all.

It's quirky, charming, funny and actually has a plot and story that resolve themselves reasonably well by the end. Although, the first time around, I didn't real
Jessica-Robyn
To see all the links included in this review and a preview of the art check it out on my blog Reading Robyn.

If you're interested in reading Friends With Boys and would like a free preview you can read the first 20 pages on the official website.

I'll just come out and say it, Friends With Boys is my favourite graphic novel I've read this year. Every graphic novel I read after this will have some stiff competition for my love. I honestly don't know if it can be done.

Hick's is one hell of an intere
Seth Hahne
Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

I have a bit of a history with homeschooling. A personal history. I wasn't homeschooled myself (heavens no!) but my second, third, and fourth girlfriends were all (curiously enough!) homeschooled. None of them knew each other and they didn't even share social circles. Weird, right? My mom was even concerned enough about the social wackiness of homeschool girls that she declined to introduce me to the girl who would become my fourth girlfriend (and eventually wife).*

I don't have anything particul
Emilia P
Decide what kind of book you are, FWB. Also, get a better title. This book wasn't about being friends with boys. It was a little bit about having brothers, and a little bit about Friends with Mohawks. And also about ghosts. It wasn't really about Being A Teen, and I think it lost a lot by being forced into being framed that way. A squarer focus on the ghost story would have made it a much better book I think. With so many un-fleshed-out plots, it was sort of forgettable.

That said, Faith Erin Hic
Amber J.
Feb 07, 2012 Amber J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes graphic novels
This was my first graphic novel, so it was a little strange to experience a whole story told in this format. I really liked the multiple subplots going on in this book. Although, I thought the secret history between Alistair and the volleyball team captain guy would be more juicy (it seemed the author set it up that way) but I was let down when we find out the truth.

I also really really liked the illustration, which I guess is the most important part of a graphic novel. I would buy other work by
cEe beE
Yay!

1) Friends with Boys is the FIRST book I won on Goodreads!

2) It's a graphic novel and the artwork is very attractive and clean.

3) I enjoyed Faith Erin Hick's story about a teenager named Maggie dealing with a transition from homeschooling to public high school, making new friends, and her mother's abandonment of their family.

It's so cool to win a book that turns out to be an awesome, great read!
Sam Quixote
In Chuck Klosterman’s delightful book on villains, I Wear The Black Hat, the pop culture critic writes that he sometimes wishes he could just write “I LOVE THIS” or “I HATE THIS” when reviewing certain works of art and leave it at that, not (entirely) out of laziness but because teasing out the reasoning behind it dilutes the purity of his visceral reaction. I’m tempted to just say for this book “I LOVE THIS x 1000!” and it’d be true but probably not that informative!

Maggie is about to start her
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks is a really fun and quick graphic novel read. Seriously you guys, I loved Maggie, the protagonist, and her family.

Maggie has been home schooled by her mother her entire life, but now her mother has left and she is about to start her first day of high school. To say she is nervous would be a bit of an understatement. She doesn’t have much experience with friends – just three older brothers. The oldest is a great mentor to her throughout the book, he was alway
Nathaniel
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this graphic novel. Good characters, lots of plots, moves briskly, nice artwork.

Except its feels introductory. It feels like there should be a second part to it. I figured out why: of the many plots this story as, nothing feels like a main plot. So while Ms. Hicks resolves everything, and no plot thread is left hanging in any significant way, when the story ends, you're left feeling a little unsatisfied.

In a way its a good thing, Ms. Hicks, in a relatively
Jessica at Book Sake
Book Review by Chris
The artist, who also happens to be the writer, has a very charming style. Her characters have expressive faces and all look unique. It is really easy to fall in love with Maggie right away.

The story has a bunch of fun moments. Maggie, the main character, getting accustomed to high school is just plain fun and creative. The problem I had was that it just seems like a collection of events that don’t really build on each or lead up to a conclusion.

In a way it reminded me of a We
Jessica
Can I please proclaim my love for Friends With Boys? It has been a long while since I had the pleasure of diving into a graphic novel, and so I'm happy to say that Faith Erin Hicks satisfied my every bookish need. What you'll find between these pages is the perfect mixture of sweet, spooky, and downright funny. New to the world of graphic novels? This is a great place to start!

What impressed me most about this story was the characters. They easily steal the show. Faith Erin Hicks brings to life
Kathleen
This is a really sweet little graphic novel about moving into adulthood, maturity, and learning to forgive. Main character Maggie McKay goes to high school after years of homeschooling, prompted by her mother leaving her family. Maggie struggles to fit in, like any kid in that situation would, and on top of all of that, she's haunted.

Yeah.

Maggie does well. She makes some misfit friends and learns to be a misfit. She learns she doesn't necessarily have to fix everything. The art is great, and th
Lindsay
I still have a few unresolved questions about this graphic novel, but I really, really enjoyed it overall. The characters were wonderful and the plot kept me hungry through the end. I hope this isn't the only installment and Hicks lets us get to know this family further.

Questions:
-I'm still wondering about the ghost. Was she there just to see the siblings get through their mother's abandonment? I wanted more to come of that hand!
-I found the title a little misleading...the only thing I can surmi
Tamahome

I'm a sucker for tomboys, so I'm giving this one a pass. Although what's with girls and ghosts? (Anya's Ghost). Also, yet another graphic novel that ends with a lot of wordless panels. Not so dramatic when a lot of people do it. But I was fairly charmed by this geeky home-schooled girl with a lot of brothers.
I'll have to find the color hardcover The Adventures of Superhero Girl somewhere (it's also online).
Afton Nelson
Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I'm just growing up (sniff) but the plot felt weak. Could be that is just the nature of graphic novels, but I can't believe that is true when I've read books like Persepolis and Plain Janes. Many things are left unanswered: why did the mom leave? What did the ghost want? Did Daniel forgive Al? For reluctant readers, this is definitely pickupable. I just didn't get the sense of character development I would have liked.
What was the point of the ghost? 4 35 May 19, 2013 06:43AM
2013 Hub Reading ...: Friends with Boys 4 17 Feb 22, 2013 08:58AM
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • Will & Whit
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Americus
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Mercury
  • Brain Camp
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely h ...more
More about Faith Erin Hicks...
The Adventures of Superhero Girl The War at Ellsmere Zombies Calling The Last of Us: American Dreams #2 of 4 Untitled Graphic Novel