Start by marking “Identity: Lost” as Want to Read:
Identity: Lost

Identity: Lost

It's July, 1975 and an overworked Chicago police force receives a call that an 85-year-old white man has been attacked by a gang of black youths on the lakefront in Burnham Park. Amid public outrage, contentious Mayor Richard J. Daley commands his police to find the killers fast and make the bucolic park safe again.Uncommonly but fortunately for the police, twelve-year-old

Published June 14th 2011 by Oceanview Publishing (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Identity

Kathy
Jun 06, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut novel by Pascal Marco. It is an intriguing crime thriller that had me hooked from the beginning. It is an interesting depiction of the Witness Protection Program. I've always wondered how well that program could really work. It is set both in Arizona and in Chicago. I found the characters, plot and settings to all be very realistic and plausible. I'm looking forward to more from Pascal Marco.

Highly recommend this novel.
Sarah Buerger
May 28, 2011 Sarah Buerger rated it it was amazing
My sister Debby met the author's wife on a plane before the book was released. She liked her so much she started promoting the book everywhere she went. I could not put it down. Just a great police/legal thriller a la John Grisham.
Rachelle
May 26, 2012 Rachelle rated it really liked it

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If it hadn't been a Kindle Daily Deal, I wouldn't have known about this novel. Thank you, Amazon!
Book Concierge
A young boy witnesses a brutal attack on an elderly man. Despite his fears of gang retaliation, he goes to the police and identifies the killers. When they are set free due to a technicality, he and his family are spirited into the witness protection program and moved across the country. Thirty years later, Stan Kobe is a highly respected prosecutor in Phoenix AZ, with a loving wife and two children. When two criminals are arrested for smuggling guns and drugs across the Arizona / Mexico border ...more
Maslanorama
Aug 06, 2011 Maslanorama rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading "Identity: Lost" by Pascal Marco. I rarely finish a book as fast as I did this one - but I just couldn't put it down. The book captured my interest from the first paragraph and never disappointed me.

Marco has written my favorite type of book: a story filled with twists, turns and surprises, with finely drawn characters [even the "bad guys" - and sometimes it is not clear who they are!]. It weaves together many strands of urban life over the past forty years [includi
Ns
Dec 03, 2011 Ns rated it really liked it
A decades old act of violence becomes ominously present, forcing a man to face his traumatizing past and bring justice in this riveting thriller. The crime that drives this story happens in 1970s Chicago during a hostile time when street gangs infested the city, with a flawed and indifferent police force and the existence of racial discrimination. It's where James Overstreet calls home and whose life is forever changed when he is caught in the middle of the violence.

It's a story about injustice
Judy Pikosz
Identify Lost is a fast-paced read with characters that are well defined; and what I liked most was that it had me going through so many emotions throughout the book--likeability to hatred, sympathy to anger to frustration and surprise. Marco did a beautiful job of incorporating fact with fiction which, in my opinion, makes the book unique. Usually, I do not like books that begin during one time period and then move to the present; but Marco's transition was very smooth, and because the characte ...more
Byron
Nov 03, 2011 Byron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Black dudes who speak normal English and DVR PBS Frontline
Aside from the Scooby Doo ending, this is the new best book of all time, of ALL TIME. It combines several different things that interest me, including interracial love (of the black man on white woman variety), crooked cops, corrupt politicians, homeland security, illegal immigration and elder abuse, along with baseball, which I know a lot of people find interesting. This is one of those books where every chapter you learn something new, and you're like, "Oh shit!" Several chapters end in cliffh ...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
Dec 10, 2012 Debra Daniels-zeller rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A clever plot, this story seemed to veer off track in the beginning when it went back in time and traced Arizona prosecuter's past and a murder he witnessed before he went into the witness protection program. I don't know much about baseball, especially the story of the Black Sox scandal of 1919, so the backstory about early baseball scandals was interesting, but also the way the characters stories were woven together was great story telling. I had ordered this book from a Kindle daily deal mont ...more
Dee
Jul 24, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy watching movies and reading books that use the city of Chicago as it's backdrop. Add some history about this great city, that's even better. This novel has suspense and drama. You will get so involved in reading this book...you won't put in down until you have read the last page. As you read from chapter to chapter. You will think you have it all figured out. Then a comes a twist. This happens several times. This book will have you on your toes!

Pascal puts an ending to this treasu
Pmcdnld2
May 22, 2012 Pmcdnld2 rated it really liked it
An 11 year old black boy sees an old man who has befriended him beat to death in the local park. Incompetent and/or racist cops botch the investigation and the gang members go free. The boy and his family are immediately moved to Arizona in witness protection. The impact on him and his family is tragic. He becomes a prosecutor and runs into 2 of the gang members who have been arrested in Arizona. All of the secrets have to come out. Interesting story-Chicago cops, politicians and the Witness Pro ...more
Jenny
This book follows a 12 year old eye witness into witness protection and shows his adult life as a prosecuting attorney. Flash backs to his childhood reveal parts of his childhood leading up to the crime. Amazing descriptions of the Chicago park and shore of Lake Michigan where he spent time. I really enjoyed the story line and the suspense, but would have liked to see the author get more creative in expressing how tough and scary gang bangers are without the F word every other line.
Paul
Jun 27, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way better than expected!

There has been some discussion about the alleged poor characterization of Stan Kobe, the story's protagonist. The conflicted and deeply buried feelings he worked through here seemed quite realistic and developed to me. Imagine yourself in his place and tell me you'd have a clear idea of who you were. I'm doubting it.
Peggy
Jul 17, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it
young boys sees a murder of an old player from the Black Sox baseball team from 1919, committed by gang members. At the trial the gang is found not guilty due to botched interigation. The family
is then placed in a wittness protection program in AZ. Boy whose named is changed from James Overstreet to Stan Kobe becomes a top notch prosecutor in AZ.
Ben Pashkoff
For a while I thought I was reading a novelization of some cross between "Law & Order" and "In PLain Site" with an ending that sounded more like "Shootout at the OK Corral"..... Yes, it was a page turner, but some of the turns were simply not logical.
Haydeed1
Aug 12, 2011 Haydeed1 rated it it was amazing
I got to meet this author right after I finished reading the book and first of all it is a great story. I'm looking forward to see where he takes his characters. According what he said he doesn't plan a series, but more of a character series which I tend to prefer.
Cammie Gramm
Jul 11, 2011 Cammie Gramm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner from beginning to end, awesome legal thriller. I couldn't put it down in the 2 days it took me to read. This would make a great movie. I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Raymond Benson
Jun 09, 2011 Raymond Benson rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of providing a blurb for this book and I meant every word I said... Pascal Marco has written a *corker*! In many ways it feels like a true crime story, and I realize that it's inspired by a true crime, but Marco takes it in unexpected directions. Terrific stuff.
C Mclain
Aug 05, 2013 C Mclain rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written. The characters are so well developed that I felt like their friend. For me, a book is great when I become so attached to the characters that I become sad after it ends. I am sad that I finished this book - I miss my friends.
Rebecca Bush
Mar 17, 2012 Rebecca Bush rated it it was amazing
I was impressed by Pascal Marco's debut thriller. Witness protection, sports, Chicago, gangs. All things that make for a read much like an exciting movie. Pascal is a force to be reckoned with. I am looking forward to what he's working on next. Top-notch thriller!
Dara
Sep 14, 2012 Dara rated it it was amazing
This was another one of those hard to put down books. This book was a great thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.
Lake County Public Library Indiana
"Wonderful book."
-Alice Mick/Dyer-Shererville
Agnes Muscoreil
Feb 22, 2015 Agnes Muscoreil rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This was an interesting read, very good storyline. I found the ending a little far fetched, but enjoyed all the characters and their relationships. Also a good look at the witness protection program!
Dad
Jun 11, 2012 Dad rated it really liked it
Great story. It paints a sorry picture of Chicago,but probably true of most big cities.
Julie
Dec 28, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first half of this book so much, but then it sorta went downhill. Takes a 180 degree turn and doesn't ever get back to the great writing.
Kay
Jan 02, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it
Legal thriller. Black Sox scandal.
Julie
Sep 24, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
A great ride down "What are the odds? " lane. Well thought out, plot twists well done.
Rich Jozwiak
This was a very good book. I had a hard time putting it down and enjoyed the images it put in my mind. The story took me back to those days and places I use to know.
Bita
May 05, 2013 Bita rated it really liked it
I liked it.
Gayle
Sep 29, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
A very good story. I enjoyed the twists and turns of this mystery. Even though there was extensive language, it fit the characters and the setting. Look forward to reading more from Pascal Marco.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dangerous Games (Abby Sinclair and Tess McCallum, #3)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Pinpoint
  • Grave Situation (Allan Stanton #1)
  • Kind of Blue
  • Beyond Hades (The Prometheus Wars, #1)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • The Aspen Account
  • Vaccine Nation
  • Sleeping Tigers
  • Stealing Trinity
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • The Last Justice
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • Final Vector
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
In 1994 Pascal Marco moved to the Sonoran Desert and a brave new world in Arizona. There he joined the Scottsdale Writers Group, which he claims was pivotal to the development of his debut novel, IDENTITY: LOST, which rose to become a #1 Kindle Amazon best-seller.

Pascal was born and raised on the far Southside of Chicago, the grandson of Italian immigrants. He graduated from the University of Ill
More about Pascal Marco...