Start by marking “Identity: Lost” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  50 reviews

It's July, 1975 and an overworked Chicago police force receives a call that an 85-year-old white man has been attacked by a gang of black youths on the lakefront in Burnham Park. Amid public outrage, contentious Mayor Richard J. Daley commands his police to find the killers fast and make the bucolic park safe again.Uncommonly but fortunately for the police, twelve-year-old

Published June 14th 2011 by Oceanview Publishing (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Identity

Book Concierge
A young boy witnesses a brutal attack on an elderly man. Despite his fears of gang retaliation, he goes to the police and identifies the killers. When they are set free due to a technicality, he and his family are spirited into the witness protection program and moved across the country. Thirty years later, Stan Kobe is a highly respected prosecutor in Phoenix AZ, with a loving wife and two children. When two criminals are arrested for smuggling guns and drugs across the Arizona / Mexico border ...more
Kathy
I really enjoyed this debut novel by Pascal Marco. It is an intriguing crime thriller that had me hooked from the beginning. It is an interesting depiction of the Witness Protection Program. I've always wondered how well that program could really work. It is set both in Arizona and in Chicago. I found the characters, plot and settings to all be very realistic and plausible. I'm looking forward to more from Pascal Marco.

Highly recommend this novel.
Sarah Buerger
My sister Debby met the author's wife on a plane before the book was released. She liked her so much she started promoting the book everywhere she went. I could not put it down. Just a great police/legal thriller a la John Grisham.
Rachelle

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If it hadn't been a Kindle Daily Deal, I wouldn't have known about this novel. Thank you, Amazon!
Maslanorama
I have just finished reading "Identity: Lost" by Pascal Marco. I rarely finish a book as fast as I did this one - but I just couldn't put it down. The book captured my interest from the first paragraph and never disappointed me.

Marco has written my favorite type of book: a story filled with twists, turns and surprises, with finely drawn characters [even the "bad guys" - and sometimes it is not clear who they are!]. It weaves together many strands of urban life over the past forty years [includi
Ns
A decades old act of violence becomes ominously present, forcing a man to face his traumatizing past and bring justice in this riveting thriller. The crime that drives this story happens in 1970s Chicago during a hostile time when street gangs infested the city, with a flawed and indifferent police force and the existence of racial discrimination. It's where James Overstreet calls home and whose life is forever changed when he is caught in the middle of the violence.

It's a story about injustice
Judy Pikosz
Identify Lost is a fast-paced read with characters that are well defined; and what I liked most was that it had me going through so many emotions throughout the book--likeability to hatred, sympathy to anger to frustration and surprise. Marco did a beautiful job of incorporating fact with fiction which, in my opinion, makes the book unique. Usually, I do not like books that begin during one time period and then move to the present; but Marco's transition was very smooth, and because the characte ...more
Byron
Nov 10, 2011 Byron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Black dudes who speak normal English and DVR PBS Frontline
Aside from the Scooby Doo ending, this is the new best book of all time, of ALL TIME. It combines several different things that interest me, including interracial love (of the black man on white woman variety), crooked cops, corrupt politicians, homeland security, illegal immigration and elder abuse, along with baseball, which I know a lot of people find interesting. This is one of those books where every chapter you learn something new, and you're like, "Oh shit!" Several chapters end in cliffh ...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
A clever plot, this story seemed to veer off track in the beginning when it went back in time and traced Arizona prosecuter's past and a murder he witnessed before he went into the witness protection program. I don't know much about baseball, especially the story of the Black Sox scandal of 1919, so the backstory about early baseball scandals was interesting, but also the way the characters stories were woven together was great story telling. I had ordered this book from a Kindle daily deal mont ...more
Dee
I really enjoy watching movies and reading books that use the city of Chicago as it's backdrop. Add some history about this great city, that's even better. This novel has suspense and drama. You will get so involved in reading this book...you won't put in down until you have read the last page. As you read from chapter to chapter. You will think you have it all figured out. Then a comes a twist. This happens several times. This book will have you on your toes!

Pascal puts an ending to this treasu
Pmcdnld2
An 11 year old black boy sees an old man who has befriended him beat to death in the local park. Incompetent and/or racist cops botch the investigation and the gang members go free. The boy and his family are immediately moved to Arizona in witness protection. The impact on him and his family is tragic. He becomes a prosecutor and runs into 2 of the gang members who have been arrested in Arizona. All of the secrets have to come out. Interesting story-Chicago cops, politicians and the Witness Pro ...more
Jenny
This book follows a 12 year old eye witness into witness protection and shows his adult life as a prosecuting attorney. Flash backs to his childhood reveal parts of his childhood leading up to the crime. Amazing descriptions of the Chicago park and shore of Lake Michigan where he spent time. I really enjoyed the story line and the suspense, but would have liked to see the author get more creative in expressing how tough and scary gang bangers are without the F word every other line.
Peggy
young boys sees a murder of an old player from the Black Sox baseball team from 1919, committed by gang members. At the trial the gang is found not guilty due to botched interigation. The family
is then placed in a wittness protection program in AZ. Boy whose named is changed from James Overstreet to Stan Kobe becomes a top notch prosecutor in AZ.
Raymond Benson
I had the pleasure of providing a blurb for this book and I meant every word I said... Pascal Marco has written a *corker*! In many ways it feels like a true crime story, and I realize that it's inspired by a true crime, but Marco takes it in unexpected directions. Terrific stuff.
Haydeed1
I got to meet this author right after I finished reading the book and first of all it is a great story. I'm looking forward to see where he takes his characters. According what he said he doesn't plan a series, but more of a character series which I tend to prefer.
Rebecca Crowley
I was impressed by Pascal Marco's debut thriller. Witness protection, sports, Chicago, gangs. All things that make for a read much like an exciting movie. Pascal is a force to be reckoned with. I am looking forward to what he's working on next. Top-notch thriller!
Ben Pashkoff
For a while I thought I was reading a novelization of some cross between "Law & Order" and "In PLain Site" with an ending that sounded more like "Shootout at the OK Corral"..... Yes, it was a page turner, but some of the turns were simply not logical.
Carla
A wonderfully gripping read that was hard to put down. Not usually the kind of book that would hold my attention to be honest but i really enjoyed it from start to finish. There is a little of everything here and it didn't disappoint.
Cammie Gramm
This book was a page turner from beginning to end, awesome legal thriller. I couldn't put it down in the 2 days it took me to read. This would make a great movie. I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Gayle
A very good story. I enjoyed the twists and turns of this mystery. Even though there was extensive language, it fit the characters and the setting. Look forward to reading more from Pascal Marco.
Kathy Sandlin
It is hard to give your basic thriller more than 3 stars. This one probably deserved 3.5 stars. It was a good story. Lots of little twists and turns. But a suspense thriller all the same.
Rich Jozwiak
This was a very good book. I had a hard time putting it down and enjoyed the images it put in my mind. The story took me back to those days and places I use to know.
Diane
I read A LOT, consider myself 'discriminating' when it comes to authors, and am EXTREMELY pleased with Marco's work! Glad to hear there's a sequel in the works!
Julie
I enjoyed the first half of this book so much, but then it sorta went downhill. Takes a 180 degree turn and doesn't ever get back to the great writing.
Dara
This was another one of those hard to put down books. This book was a great thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.
Cheryl
Eh...may just be the Kindle edition...but there were quite a few errors, spelling, missing spaces between words, that was a bit annoying...
Peg
Frightening tale of necessitated witness protection and its ramifications, Chicago based. Unfortunately, all too believable.
Dad
Great story. It paints a sorry picture of Chicago,but probably true of most big cities.
Julie
A great ride down "What are the odds? " lane. Well thought out, plot twists well done.
Traci
Excellent book! A little slow to start, but a great story line.
  • Dangerous Games
  • The Test
  • Kind of Blue
  • The 24th Letter
  • Grave Situation
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
  • The Deal
  • Pinpoint
  • Cutting Edge
  • Beyond Hades (The Prometheus Wars, #1)
  • Whether I'll Live or Die
  • Sloane Monroe Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • Trial Junkies
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • Once in Every Generation
Pascal Marco was born and raised on the far Southside of Chicago, the grandson of Italian immigrants. Staying close to home, he graduated from the University of Illinois Chicago with both B.A. and M.A. degrees. Hes thankful every day that he grew up there and hes proud of his deep working-class roots. And, hes never lost his passion for Chicago White Sox baseball. Ever so gently coerced by his wif ...more
More about Pascal Marco...