Start by marking “Why?: Making Sense of God's Will” as Want to Read:
Why?: Making Sense of God's Will

Why?: Making Sense of God's Will

When the ground shakes, and a poor nation's economy is destroyed; when the waters rise, washing away a community's hopes and dreams; when a child suffers neglect and abuse; when violence tears apart nations; where is God? If God is all powerful, and if each one of us is a beloved child of God, then how can God allow tragedy and suffering to infest his creation? When we lif ...more
Unknown Binding, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Abingdon Press (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Why?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why?

Dee
May 31, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

We've all wondered why
Bad things happen to good folks
Why won't God stop it?

"Why" questions answered
Though bad happens, we are saved
God's love will prevail
Tammy
May 17, 2011 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on my Kindle today under the free titles. I like free and it sounded interesting! Once I started reading it I couldn't stop! It's very interesting and thought provoking! I grew up in a Christian home and have been a Christian my whole life. I was taught not to question God about things. I was also taught that God is always in control of everything no matter what! As I got older I started to question things like free will. What does free will really mean? Why do bad things happe ...more
Amanda Gayle Reed
As always, Adam Hamilton has taken the complex and put it into very practical terms. Theodicy is one of the hardest subjects facing pastors... what DO you tell the mother who just lost her child? As a minister, I find myself struggling to find the right words in those moments, which is why I feel driven to read books like this one. Hamilton's approach takes a look at some of the catch-phrase theology that seems to be prominent in our culture and evaluates it... and when they prove to be of littl ...more
Judy
Feb 28, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book/Bible study that raises questions about the way we, as Christians, often think about about world suffering, our own suffering, and God's will for our lives. I highly recommend this book for everyone struggling, or not, with these issues.
Laura Dallas
Oct 22, 2015 Laura Dallas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Popular United Methodist pastor and author Adam Hamilton has a way of explaining complex theological ideas to make them easily understood by the layperson while remaining biblically sound. His writings provide comfort to the average Christian through solidifying tenets of faith, answering nagging questions of belief, and doing it all in a manner that is memorable and repeatable in ordinary conversation. This book is not only no exception, it is an excellent example of how Hamilton takes a deep a ...more
John Martindale
Hamiliton did a splendid job conveying his theodicy in a concise manner. He showed the absurdity of some Christian cliches' that fly about in light of evil and suffering. It is good to read someone who realizes that if everything happens for a reason and that reason is God's will, then God therefore is utterly diabolic, twisted and evil

I appreciated that he pointed out the obvious (though overlooked) fact that throughout scripture--God works through people to accomplish his will and hardly ever
Corrie
Sep 20, 2013 Corrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever wondered why good people die young and why bad things happen to good people, and you have questioned why God would let bad things happen, you should read this book. It explains God's part in natural disasters, diseases, and suffering. Good book. I will probably read it again because it totally shakes up my understanding of God's will.
Ashlee
I really like Adam Hamilton so that us probably why I lost interest and could not finish this book - I have already heard him say all this. However, if you are not familiar with this pastor and his common sense, today approach to religion it is worth picking up and perusing.
Alysia
Aug 12, 2016 Alysia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This book is about the "Why?s" that all of us face in today's world. Where is God when the innocent suffer? Where is God when my prayers go unanswered? Why is God's will so hard to understand?

I give this book 5 stars for several reasons. It does an excellent job going through all of these challenging questions and backing up each point with biblical references. It is a very clear and concise (99 pages) book that can be reread again when needed or shared with others. With the challenging year th
Peter Cooper
Nov 12, 2015 Peter Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes everything that I learned in my life growing up Christian, all what I have read from reading the Bible, and what I believe about such...tears it all up and puts it to me in a very powerful way! Thus causing me to look at my belief and understanding in a whole new way!

It hurts...but it's a healing hurt. I would even challenge my friends and those whom believe in a higher power to read this! Great and powerful, thought provoking stuff!!!

Thanks Mum for giving me this book!
Kathy Robbins
How many of us have ever wondered why a loving God has not stepped in and stopped some of the atrocities happening in the world? Why did he allow these things to occur in the first place? World hunger, the holocaust, violence, war, death of children, the insidious diseases like cancer? Why do I have a friend with two children who have both had to have heart transplants? Why do bad things happen to some, and not to others? The list goes on and on.

Adam Hamilton tries to answer some of these questi
Agatha Nolen
Apr 11, 2013 Agatha Nolen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam asked the repeatedly difficult questions like "Is God a God of punishment?" and "If we pledge our life to Christ, why doesn't everything become easy?"

We ask these questions over and over of ourselves and for our loved ones particularly when we encounter the difficult seasons in our lives like cancer, unemployment, or a failed relationship.

Pastor Hamilton takes us on the journey of answering these questions and isn't shy about condemning Christian reasoning that is off-base and judgmental. I
Laurie
Oct 21, 2011 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kay Mcgriff
Jul 14, 2015 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my husband. His Sunday School class is studying it. I found it to be a very thoughtful look at what faith in God has to offer through difficult times. Hamilton doesn’t offer easy, glib answers–and sometimes tears through the illogic of some of those pat answers such as “It must be God’s will.” He asks if it is really God’s will that thousands of children die every day from starvation. Well, when you put it like that, no. God’s will is for us to get up and feed them.
Ruth
May 07, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton has a wonderful ability to make complex ideas understandable. I have always thought that God had a plan for everyone and Hamilton points out that we have a loving God and he would never plan to have little children sick or adults suffering from horrible crimes etc. He also puts forth the idea that people are often called upon to do his work on Earth and be the answer to someone's prayers since he can't do it himself. Very thought provoking and powerful read.
Brenda
Mar 03, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent little book. Pastor Adam has a way of explaining, biblically, many answers to questions that we all have at some point in our Christian life. This book was given to me by a clergy at the hospital where my friend died, and it really has helped me to understand where God is when terrible things happen. I am rethinking my long held opinions on certain beliefs that have been ingrained since I was a child. Everyone should read this at some point.
George Briggs
Aug 04, 2014 George Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensible Christianity

Pastor Adam Hamilton offers a Scripture based explanation of the most troubling issues facing modern day Christians: suffering of innocents, unanswered prayer, God's plan for humanity, and God's ever-present love and grace. Pastor Hamilton's book is a tremendous source of hope and faith in a secular world of doubt and skepticism.
James Connor
Jan 07, 2014 James Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the author ends this book with a hopeful message. that we can all rely on the Lord. He is my rock and my strength. my fortress in times of trouble and His love endures forever. as far as figuring out what God's will is he struggles too. Mr. Hamilton finds a way through the mist and fog and leads you to a possible path. he covers a lot of ground and is very methodical in leading the reader to possibilities. clearly this writer has a firm grasp on his topic and present numerous examples to explain ...more
Doug
Apr 02, 2015 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Rarely do I so whole-heartedly agree with a professional theologian. Adam Hamilton summarized my thoughts on God's plan for my life. I am nnot God's puppet. He and I are collaborating, updating the plan as life, with its uncontrolled randomness, unfolds. God does not reach down and kill people with accidents, cancer or earthquakes. But he does reach down and offer to hold us when it happens.
Thom Kohl
Jan 03, 2016 Thom Kohl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to help people understand why bad things happen even though we have a loving God. Many Christians, if not all Christians, struggle with this. Great book for new believers - but also great for long time believers to help them answer the tough questions we sometimes get as Christians.
Joanne
May 28, 2013 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
This book was recommended to me after a death in the family. I was not familiar with Adam Hamilton, but I have learned he is a United Methodist pastor whose Kansas City church has become one of the largest in the country. This is a very short book, really about the length of a sermon or two. He writes in very clear language, which I appreciate, nothing flowery or "get out the dictionary" words. In each of the 4 chapters, he states his thesis and then sets out to explain it. I appreciated that he ...more
Tiffany Nakagawa
Insightful

Powerful and focused on God's love and the Hope He gives us to live this life boldly and unafraid, to partner with God in writing the story of our lives and the opportunities to share in the answered prayers of others, the God-incidents.
Ronald Newton
Jul 19, 2015 Ronald Newton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one can be absolutely sure "why," but Pastor Adam Hamilton's examination of the subject is thorough, thoughtful, and well written. Read this book to help you cope with past "whys" and avoid asking in the future.
Crizzle
May 18, 2015 Crizzle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for our Sunday school class. Super short read, good for those wondering these questions: Why do the innocent suffer, why do my prayers go unanswered, and why can't I see God's will for my life?
Tim Suddeth
Jan 29, 2015 Tim Suddeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good,unbiased view of questions concerning God that we all have. Why do the innocent suffer, why do my prayers go unanswered, and why can't I see God's will. Easy to understand without being churchy.
Sally
Gods will makes sense

Adam Hamilton always helps me to understand scripture and makes me think about what he says. He helps me with some of the hard decisions I face.
Josh Smetzer
The book did alright on covering some of the information. I did like how he says we co-author the stories of our lives with God, and that Gods will is not our happiness but our faithfulness.
Nikki Young
May 13, 2016 Nikki Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who lost a child at wondered why...I wish this book existed 10 years ago. great book for anyone that has ever wondered why when it comes to God's will.
Lynn Bingaman
Sep 04, 2015 Lynn Bingaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short little book challenged my thinking on God's will. I underlined something on almost every page and will probably reread this book, which is something that I rarely do.
Nanci
Jan 19, 2015 Nanci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
In this short little book, Hamilton provides much wisdom in answering some of our deepest questions. Loved it!
  • Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • A Place for Truth: Leading Thinkers Explore Life's Hardest Questions
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 19
More about Adam Hamilton...

“At the very least they teach us that God does not always answer our prayers, even when we offer those prayers in faith at times of real and pressing need. They also teach us that while God may not answer our prayers as we pray them, God does not abandon us. More than that, these accounts tell us that God works through the situations from which we have not been delivered as we asked.” 1 likes
“The sweeping message of the Bible is not a promise that those who believe and do good will not suffer. Instead the Bible is largely a book about people who refused to let go of their faith in the face of suffering.” 0 likes