Start by marking “Dreams of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Dreams of the Dead

Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly #13)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Perri O’Shaughnessy “will keep you turning pages into the night,” applauds USA Today, in praise of the celebrated novels of suspense starring the audacious yet all-too-human defense attorney Nina Reilly. Now, in a spellbinding new thriller, O’Shaughnessy plunges Nina back into the center of a murderous family game, and reawakens a ve...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Gallery Books (first published September 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams of the Dead

Vivisection
I dunno. Y'all know I love me some Nina O'Reilly. I also love her cadre of misfit friends--Sandy, Wish, Paul and her family. Now that she's safely ensconced in Tahoe again, the lake and the surrounding mountains provide a beautiful setting. Enough so that I was planning a Tahoe vacation the whole time I was reading.

Because....because....this just isn't the best Nina O'Reilly novel around. When Paul made the decision to "take out the garbage" all those books ago, it was pretty certain that at som...more
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/20...

In Lake Tahoe, the body of a killer is dumped from a boat into the water.

Nina Reilly, a 38 year old criminal defense attorney, receives a visit from the father of the man who killed her husband. Philip Strong owns the Paradise Ski Resort, and his son Jim has been missing and presumed dead for over two years, having disappeared shortly after killing his wife, his brother, and Nina's husband.

Philip is now trying to sell...more
Shelley
Typical Nina mystery, but missing meaningful growth for her as a character. I picked this up on impulse from a library display. I stopped reading the series because there weren't any new books in a while, and I suppose I'm tired of reading about Nina wringing her hands over Paul and Kurt. The extended sex scenes were noticably absent, which was a nice change. There were also a few excerpts from Sandy's book, which were poorly written (deliberately, I assume) and were therefore excruciating inter...more
Jeff Dickison
Well written book, a sequel to an earlier novel. More of a mystery than a courtroom drama, but good nonetheless. My problem? I am tired of Nina stringing Paul along. She knows the man loves her. After all as this book points out he would literally kill for her, and go to prison for her. But she keeps him around just for an occasional shag. Either marry him or get rid of him already. That said I still recommend this book.
Dianne
Dreams of the Dead by Perri O'Shaughnessy

Long time readers of Perri O’Shaughnessy, pen name for sisters Mary and Pamela O'Shaughnessy, will know that in an earlier book “Acts of Malice” Jim Strong who is at the heart of this new book, had been taken care of by Paul van Wagoner…permanently. Or, so we thought. Has Jim come back to life now that his father Phillip wants to sell the fading ski resort?
New readers will not have a particularly difficult time getting into this newest book if they do no...more
Gloria Feit
This is a long-running series featuring Nina Reilly, a South Lake Tahoe, California attorney with a penchant for getting into all kinds of trouble. This novel actually arises from some of Nina’s past experiences, including the death of her husband in a snow avalanche caused by Jim Strong, son of Phillip, owner of a resort facility headed for bankruptcy.

As a result of Phillip’s need for cash to pay off creditors, he has agreed to sell his property, but the sale is complicated by the fact that a l...more
CJ Bro
Susan
Dreams of the Dead by Perri O'Shaughnessy is the 13th book of the Nina Reilly mystery/legal thriller series set in modern-day Lake Tahoe, CA.

Nina Reilly is a successful defense attorney with her own law office. She lives with her teenage son Bob and their dog Hitchcock. Nina is in a relationship with Bob’s father Kurt, who is living in Lake Tahoe but yearning for his previous musical career in Europe. Ex-cop private investigator Paul van Wagoner has a successful PI business in Carmel CA, but as...more
Pamela
I really enjoyed this book. I found it interesting that this novel ties in with book #5, "Acts of Malice."

Two years have passed since Jim Strong tried to murder Nina, and now he's come back to haunt her. I found the mystery to be quite intriguing as usual. However, I am really tired of Nina's so-called love-life. Like seriously, make an adult decision. She's got to have the worst love-life I've ever come across. I do appreciate that she's a well-accomplished lawyer and that she loves her job, b...more
William Bentrim
Dreams Of the Dead by Perri O’Shaughnessy

Nina Reilly is the main protagonist in this excellent mystery. It is the first story I have read featuring her as the main protagonist. It certainly won't be the last it was an excellent mystery full of twists and turns and a modicum of violence.

The two sisters that write the series do an excellent job of portraying an attorney who although she believes in the law also answers to a moralistic streak in her nature. Although this story stood alone quite wel...more
Sandy Weir
It has been awhile since I have read a Nina Reilly book and this one brought me back to the series quickly enough. Love the characters .. well done with them and I especially am enjoying Sandy! Easy to keep reading (hard to put down).
Jim Strong devastated Nina's life two years ago when he killed her husband by causing an avalanche. Jim showed up at her house and tried to kill her but Paul van Wagoner stopped him and Jim hasn't been seen since. Paul would only say that Nina didn't have to worry about him. Now it seems that he has shown up again. Jim's father needs to sell his ski resort to avoid financial ruin but the sale is in danger because someone claiming to Jim wants his share of the sale. All they have is a letter from...more
Candace
Nicely developed characters in a place I know and love (Lake Tahoe). In all, the story got a little convoluted and went on too long, but in the the author's defence this is a series (of which I have not read the previous books) and had to tackle some prior subjects from the other books.
I really liked the story and that it took place not only in Lake Tahoe but also involved some South America storylines as well.
The main character is fun and smart, several cute detective types brought in to work...more
Jill
Its been a while since Perri O'Shaughnessy has written anything but this book was pretty good. It's a continuation of the Jim Strong plot-line and it appears to be the end with a new beginning between Nina Reilly and Paul Van Wagoner with their relationship (on and off again status) as well as Bob continuing to grow up and mature more and more. This book is about the end of Jim Strong and the question of whether he is really dead or not. How the characters are coping after the last book. I thoug...more
Beverly
Nina O'Reilly must deal with matters that she thought were long buried -- literally. The Strong family has come back to haunt her. Philip Strong wants to sell his resort but the son that disappeared and was presumed dead has hired a local attorney to stop the proceedings -- or has he? Nina believed he was dead because Paul said he had taken care of the matter. How can they make sure the sale goes through without putting Paul in jeopardy? Who is trying to interfere with the sale? Interesting read...more
Cathie
I loved this new story of theirs, think it is one of their best. Mostly intrigue and investigation and I like that better than a real aggressive, lots of killing and death, story. Liked all the characters, great unexpected things. Learned a lot about shoes! Expensive shoes too. It made me wonder throughout the story and wondered whether one of the authors or both of them love shoes, then they tie it up nicely at the end. Great ending and I do have to say I'm glad with the way things turned out w...more
Debby
The O'Shaughnessy sisters write another riveting addition (#13) to the Nina Reilly series! I'm a big fan of these authors, this series and the characters in it. Great legal/criminal suspense!

Dreams of the Dead brings back characters from Acts of Malice (#5 in the series). So if you haven't read anything in this series, I suggest you at least read Acts of Malice first, so the storyline in Dreams of the Dead will be a better reading experience. But to be honest, you really should start at the begi...more
Katie
I don't often continue reading a book when it seems like a lousy read. Since I'd enjoyed a few Perri O'Shaughnessy books before, I kept reading, thinking it must get better.

It has the feel of a "churned out book" with simple, repetetive adjectives. The last four or five paragraphs made me groan and laugh at the same time. Ugh.

However, if you are interested in a quick read with the slightest bit of mystery, this might be a good choice. It just didn't float my boat.
Tracy
it was good to be back with Nina Reilly!
Cathi95
(2011 - Mystery) #11 Nina Reilly mystery. This is a series that never disappoints. The story kept me guessing - and changing my mind as to who-dun-it - right up to the reveal. Solid back story, good writing, ready for the next! As the sale of a ski resort is about to close, a missing heir surfaces by affidavit to hold things up - an heir that Nina and her on/off partner know is dead. Discovering who is behind the scam, and who isn't, makes for a tense read.
Janet
I like Perri O'Shaunghnessy books. Her storylines are interesting. My biggest dislike is all the description she puts into the book. She loves to describe the scene out her window or the mountain as she is driving, etc. This book was all that and more. But her storylines are very good and she does a good job with her characters. I'd like a little more story and less description of the scene out her windows, etc.
Judy
I have read all of the books in this series about Nina Reilly. I enjoy the beautiful Lake Tahoe setting and the cases that are presented. In this book, it seems like the characters are getting stale. The story of Jim Strong's murder continued from the previous book but the outcome with Paul Waggoner finally confessing didn't seem realistic. I hope the next book will provide more growth for these characters.
Nancy
In her 13th book, Perri O’Shaughnessy still keeps your interest in the life of the all-too-human defense attorney Nina Reilly. Now, in a spellbinding new thriller, O’Shaughnessy plunges Nina back into the center of a murderous family game, and reawakens a very real nightmare she had every reason to want to forget.

Again, great book. Not much evolution of the characters' lives, but definitely entertaining.
Sarah Jowett
I have read every single Nina Reilly book and this one is lackluster and very aggravating for this continuation of Paul chasing after an obviously-only-interested-when-there's-no-other-option Nina that is almost painful to read.

She's almost 40 and he's over 40: he should have moved on long ago and just accepted that she's not really that interested, that's what I get from her.
Joyce
Great too hot to go anywhere summer reading! This is a Nina Reilly mystery, of course. She is brought in when another attorney who does not litigate asks her to step into a very confusing property sale, particularly since one of the owners is the individual who caused the death of her husband. The plat is complex, the characters interesting and it is quick August doldrums reading.
Linda
Dreams of the Dead was a fairly slow read considering I really like the novels of Perri O'Shaughnessy. I thought the insert of a novel that the Native American secretary Sandra was supposedly writing was particularly off-putting and odd (at best). The book certainly carried suspense, just not enough to keep me wanting to stay up and finish it. All in all a so-so read.
Robert Moore
This novel certainly didn't capture my attention. It had fractured flow, extemporaneous plot lines and characters who were one dimensional. Nina Reilly's a dynamic character offered keen insight into the judicial processes proved to be the only save for this one.

Perhaps if I'd read other novels in the series prior to this one, but I don't htink I'll go down that road.
Joyce
An easy and good read. Very funny in parts and very serious in others. Nina is a good protagonist. Since this is the first book I have read by Perri O'Shaughnessy, I have no idea whether or not there are others with Nina and Paul, but the ending of this book leaves room for more adventures with them. This book will keep you guessing right to the end.
Kia
I found it hard to connect with this installation of the Nina Reilly series. There was something missing for me from page one and I never found it.

In fact, I stopped at page 128 and skipped to page 298. It seems I didn't miss much in the 170 pages between.

Disappointing to come back to this series and find that it just isn't as good as I'd recalled.

Amy
Seemed to have promise early on. I guess you had to have read earlier books to get it completely? Some pretty obvious grammatical errors which really annoy and distract me. Got it a library sale for $0.49 :)
Perri O'Shaughnessy????? 1 5 Aug 29, 2014 06:11PM
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Amber Morn (Kanner Lake Series, #4)
  • Dying Declaration
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)
  • Last Seen Alive
  • Try Fear
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • Illegal
  • The Fire in Ember
  • Dark Harbor
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
  • Vanishing Acts
  • The Advocate's Conviction
  • Killer Heat (Alexandra Cooper, #10)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist...more
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...
Move to Strike Motion to Suppress Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3) Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5) Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)