Start by marking “Plan B: A Nick Heller Story” as Want to Read:
Plan B: A Nick Heller Story

Plan B: A Nick Heller Story (Nick Heller #2.5)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  56 reviews

An original short story by Joseph Finder, New York Times bestselling author of Buried Secrets and Vanished. "Plan B" finds private spy Nick Heller in Barcelona, Spain on a rescue mission. The target: a walled compound with state-of-the art-security. The object: a teenage girl, held against her will. The plan: get in and rescue the girl and then get out -- without tripping

Published May 10th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Plan B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan B

Benjamin Sobieck
May 30, 2011 Benjamin Sobieck rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of bad endings
Recommended to Benjamin by: B&N Free Fridays
So there I am, all happy that I'm reading about a PI break an abductee out of a crime lord's fortress, when all of a sudden the story ends. "There must be something wrong with my e-reader," says I. So I go back and look through the pages. Nope, that terribly unsatisfying ending really did just happen. "Plan B" feels like the author got a phone call in the middle of writing it and ended everything right there. That ruined it for me.
Soby
I feel bad giving this short story a 3-star review when the only reason it didn't rate higher with me is because it was so short. There isn't much meat to the story, but as usual Finder manages to spin an interesting, unexpected tale. (The twist this time around was pretty predictable, however.)

Nick Heller, ex-Special Forces and intelligence agent with super-spy skills, has been contacted by a wealthy Russian because a wealthy Spaniard has kidnapped his daughter. Heller plans and executes a resc
Meredith Kaupp
I really liked the Nick Heller books, but I'm not a fan of short stories. This one ended right when it was getting good. Oh well, at least it was free.
Orsayor
I have been suffering from a Book Addict Rut, and that only occurs when I encounter a bad book that knocks me off track.... mentally and physically.. (Yes! it's that serious.. Remember I'm a BOOK ADDICT)

Usually the cure is to find an exciting replacement book to get those juices flowing again...

I decided to take advantage of the free short story offered by Audible.com. I have to say I was very impressed how this author was able to bring this story alive with vivid descriptions of characters and
Matt
A quick lunchtime read to help make some sense of the character that is Nick Heller. Finder admits he did not know many of the attributes about the main character of his series until he put pen to paper. Was it a must read to understand things? No, not in the least. Was it worth reading? Sure, over your soup and sandwich on a slow work day or while you slurp your oatmeal before doing the crossword puzzle on the weekend.

Heller is known for his knee-jerk reaction to things and this short tale tell
Kathy
I didn't expect a short story, and it could have easily been extended to a full-length novel. But, I did enjoy it. It had a lot of action and interesting characters. Nick was to rescue a kidnap victim, and then it has an unexpected twist.
Jen
This was a good short story but it left you with wanting more. Its an e-book so its the only way to read it is if you have an e-reader. I just wished it went on a little bit more or maybe he will turn this into an actual book.
Rkb 2014
Pam
I love Joseph Finder and his Nick Heller stories, but this short story fell flat. I did not like the end and wanted more. I am glad I read the other Nick Heller stories first before this one. I hope people to not read this first and think it is an indication of Finder's stories. Please read the other books first before making up your mind!! I would definitely recommend Vanished and Buried Secrets, just not this short story.

I give it 3 stars and that is being generous, but I love the Nick Heller
Mike
No. Just... no. It's bad, really. "Yes, while you were taking care of that I magically took care of the hopelessly situation with a single technique I just so happened to learn years ago and this is the first time I've ever told you. Oh, and I didn't tell you I fixed it because... I'm part of a short story that probably should have had more thought put into the plot."
Dawn Tutt
This was a little teaser short story to get the reader to want to read the full novels featuring this character, and it kind of worked. I'm interested but not enough to purchase it, but if I find it on a swap site I'll take it. for this short story I saw the "twist" a little too early on and I'm kind of hoping the full book with this character would be a little more subtle.
Malina
Loved it. Seeing as how plan A did not work out the way he wanted Nick Heller has resorted to Plan B in this short story. I think Mr. Finder has left it up to the imagination of the reader to figure out what Plan B is, I think I know. I liked how this story moved along and I hope Nick works more with Benito, very good working relationship between the two.
VLynch
This is a short.. very short story. I like the premise of the story and was really into it when suddenly.... the story ended. I guess you could call it ended.. to me it just stopped. I felt this story has potential to be a great novel, with lots of twists. But the book felt unfinished and actually turned me away from another stories by Joseph Finder.
Angela
This was an audible freebie which I really enjoyed. I'm not sure what category it falls under, but I would guess mystery as the main character Nick Heller seems to be a private detective/gun for hire. I liked the surprise ending and I think I will probably be checking out some of the other works by this author.
Sharon
Another good short story that caught me off guard when it ended... turn the page and BAM! over. Nick Heller is the man but in my opinion, Joseph Finder is a little wordy. This story was about girl who was kidnapped and Nick Heller was hired to save her but things are never as they appear... I recommend.
Lisa
I can't believe how this ended. Arrrgghhh! No fair on the cliff hanger. I tried this short story to give a new author a try. I liked the pace of the story. The characters were interesting as well. Just wish there had been a better more to know what happened next.
Kelley
Meh... Predictable. This was a freebie from Barnes & Noble and it was ok although entirely predictable. I have to say that if it was a full length novel I never would have finished it. As a short story at just over 20 pages it makes for a good little diversion.
John
My actual rating would be closer to 3.5 This short story was my introduction to Joseph Finder and his character Nick Heller. The story moved well without a lot of back ground details as a short story should. I will read more Nick Heller books in this story
Joe
Nice short story, but didn't really pick up steam until it reached the very end which proves how accustomed the author is to writing full fledged novels as opposed to short stories. He needs the time to develop steam before the engine takes off.
Larry Page
A suspenseful short story by Joseph Finder. A real page turner that gets your attention from page one to it's surprise abrupt ending. Finder could have continued this one chapter story into a longer novel and hopefully, perhaps some day he will.
Karen
Jun 13, 2013 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
This was an exciting short story that I received as a free download from the author. I look forward to reading some of his books in the future and seeing the movie Paranoia, which is based on one of his books.
Linda Boyd
This is a short story to introdcue Nick Heller. I don't think the story was developed enough to give you a good insight on Nick. By the time you got into it, it was over. Not sure I will continue with this series.
Dorsi
I realize this is supposed to be a short story. But it is too short, even for a short story, & ends abruptly without closure. It doesn't even give you time to get into the plot or know the characters.
Kirsten
I got this short story as a "freebie" from Audible.com. Only about 30 minutes long, but a nice taste for the character and the pacing. Will definitely pick up one of Finder's other longer selections!
Adam
Was free for the e-reader. I got 41 pages. Story was over just as the plot made an interesting turn. Is that all there is to this story? Wont count this towards my 2011 book count
Joyce
Very short story....kept my interest. Author really could have had a good story here....plot could have been developed a little more and this could have been a good novel.
Christine Kayser
Neat little short story. Predicted that there would be a twist, because Finder's really good at those. It's a super fast read, and a neat little thriller story.
James
Intro to series character, Nick Heller. A short piece but I was intrigued enough to search out other Heller books. Not enough to buy one yet, but still...
Wanda
It was over before I knew it! But then I remembered that short stories are sometimes like that. It was an interesting little detective story.
Julie
I thought this was a fair introduction to Nick Heller and the book series. I didn't think it was awful, but it wasn't brilliant, either.
  • Heart of the Witch
  • From the Ashes
  • The Journey Home
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
  • The Phantom of Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Black Out (Inspector Troy, #1)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • A World I Never Made
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...
Paranoia Vanished (Nick Heller, #1) Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2) Company Man Power Play