Start by marking “Only Serious About You 1” as Want to Read:
Only Serious About You 1

Only Serious About You 1 (それなりに真剣なんです。/ Sorenari ni Shinken nandesu. / Only Serious About You #1)

Busy chef Nao has to balance his ultra-hectic restaurant schedule with the demands of being a single parent for his sweet daughter, Chizu. So when flirtatious customer Yoshi offers to lend a helping hand in an emergency, it’s awfully hard to turn him down! But will Yoshi’s simple favor turn into an offer that Nao couldn’t possibly refuse?
Published August 31st 2011 by Juné (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Only Serious About You 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Serious About You 1

Sophie
Jul 03, 2011 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, manga-bl, ifs
(Obviously, I read a scanlation of this. Edit: Just saw that the English translation is going to be out in September - consider it preordered.)
Absolutely lovely - I have a big weakness for this kind of story. A single father ends up having to accept the help of an acquaintance of his. That acquaintance is gay and kind of in love with him and in the end, well, guess what happens. It reminded me of a SGA fanfic in that the "normal order" is reversed: rather than falling in love, getting married a
Anne
Dec 07, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Love it! So sweet and tender with fully devloped characters. My favorite kind of Yaoi where the relationship is the most important thing. Highly recommended!!
Jake Hill
Dec 13, 2014 Jake Hill rated it it was amazing
I, personally, loved Only Serious About You vol.1 and 2. This is obvious by my 5 stars. It really is the sweetest story. I don't care it is made up of old cliche's. They exist because they work. Besides, a lot of yaoi manga has rape scenes in them and this one doesn't which is wonderful as far as I am concerned. Rape is a bit of a no-no with me. Odd, maybe, but there it is.
To sum up my next to nothing review: read the books, they are adorable and sweet.
Sheziss
A light, sweet reading.

A single father who works as a chef in a shop, and the orphaned guy who changes boyfriends more often than clothes. The art is beautiful, and the interactions are so very adorable. Romance comes before sex!

*****

Read in Manga Rock.

Volumes in the series:
Only Serious About You 1 by Kai Asou Only Serious About You 2 by Kai Asou
Venus Maneater
Nov 17, 2016 Venus Maneater rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, mm

Attack of the giant yaoi hands OMG!

Do you love young, blonde boys single-dadding it?
Fever-induced romance & honesty?
A seme invested in the chase?

If you do, you will LOVE this manga. I needed more smut and less daughters, so I'll skip Vol 2!
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

Nao is a divorced father that works on a nice and friendly restaurant. He’s friends with all the team and loves what he does. Unless he is obliged to serve this weird client named Yoshi.

Yoshi is a salaryman that goes to Nao’s restaurant practically every day, as he lives nearby. He makes no secret of his attraction towards Nao, even knowing that Nao is heterosexual. On every visit, Yoshi does his best to be noticed
Blak Rayne
To read the review in its entirety: http://www.blakrayneblog.com/2015/08/...

Now, take that premise and add a child to the mix. The straight man is divorced and raising his daughter alone. His daughter gets sick and the gay man ends up helping them.
One the best yaoi I’ve read along those lines is Sorenari ni Shinken Nandesu (I’m Serious in My Own Way or Only Serious About You), story and art by Asou Kai. Listed as a slice of life, this touching yaoi has truly heart-rending scenes. Anyone who has
Cat
Jun 02, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
This story would fall under the theme "gay for you" that occurs in m/m manga and fiction all the time. The idea that a man isn't gay but falls for one single man. In my personal opinion, I don't think this is true, I believe this is more a case of bisexuality than the idea that a straight man can be gay for only one specific man.

Nao is one of these types of men. He's a single father who is attracted to women and finds all aspects of the gay lifestyle that he's been exposed to confusing and somet
Joti
Nov 25, 2015 Joti rated it really liked it
Kc
Jan 02, 2012 Kc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, manga, romance
The lovely part about this story is that it isn't insta-love, and it isn't a booty call. The characters start off as acquaintances, and only through a series of events do they develop a closer relationship. Naoki is a single parent, and anyone who is familiar with the role of parenthood knows how challenging it can be to care for a young child. There's always something to take care of, from house chores to school issues to the child themselves.

Even though Mizu is a sweet and cooperative child,
Samantha
Aug 14, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gay for you or mm readers
Shelves: mm-manga
Nao is a divorcee who works at a restaurant. He's also a full time dad to a little girl named Chizu. He's a friendly man to all the customers with the exception of Yoshi.

Yoshi is a flirtatious salary guy who occupies Nao's restaurant on an every day basis. He lives locally (literally up the street).

Nao knows Yoshi's flirtatious nature and witnesses it many times; particularly when Yoshi comes in with a new 'boyfriend' very often. Yoshi makes many passes at Nao, in a light hearted way and not a
Buttons
Such a sweet love story and very down-to-earth. No typical Uke-Seme relationship, but a real relationship between two adults and a child. The story develops at a slow pace and is very sincere and serious. I cried when I read it because the main character is in a very difficult spot, but at the end I felt good - calm and happy. Even the beautiful and calm style reflects the nature of the manga. I have to say this is one really fine manga.

The main character is the hard-working single father Oosawa
LaurieLire
Oosawa a une mauvaise image de Yoshioka, un habitué qui amène régulièrement (très régulièrement) ses nouvelles conquêtes dans le restaurant où il travaille.
Mais quand sa fille tombe malade, Oosawa, père célibataire complètement débordé, trouve auprès de ce dernier aide, réconfort et écoute. Et commence à réviser son jugement.

Ce premier tome voit la relation entre les personnages principaux évoluer doucement (trop doucement selon Yoshioka !) jusqu'à une réelle confiance et un début d'attirance.
Estara
Mar 03, 2012 Estara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Estara by: Melinda and Michelle at Manga Bookshelf
Shelves: manga, read-in-2012
This is a nice, quiet, maybe, sort of, probably romance between an openly gay salaryman and the sushi cook at a restaurant he regularly shops at.

What makes it a refreshing change is that he is not an aggressive man, more a teasing one and a very caring one, too. All his former boyfriends seem to still like him because he is at ease with everyone - which makes for some intriguing uncertainty about what he really feels (that's where the title comes in, I think)

The earnest young and hetero sushi co
Anne Freya
1st read : 1 Mar 2014
2nd read : 21 Apr 2016

I really love this manga. Asou Sensei's works are all incredibly great and so realistic, so full of love. With such a beautiful artwork too. :D

Unlike most yaoi stories, the growth of emotional attachment between the 2 characters are well-developed. Within two volumes, the pacing is on the spot, and readers can really see the gradual transformation of Oosawa's feelings. As a hetero male, the mental conflicts and complexity of being pursued by another ma
Yue
Nov 06, 2015 Yue rated it really liked it
So cute! And all thanks to the fever :D

The fever thing has been used to many times but in this case it was worth it. Oozawa distrusted Yosshi at first, since Yosshi is a big flirt and brings a new lover to the restaurant where Oozawa works every once in a while. Until Oozawa's little girl, Chizu, gets sick. And since Oozawa lives far away from the restaurant and from the school, Yosshi invites him and Chizu to stay over at his house.

They stay for a couple of days only, but Oozawa comes to know
K.N.
Jan 13, 2016 K.N. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga, glbtq, 2000s
This had a sweet story and likeable characters, and I seriously loved the artwork. Naoki, the hard-working, single dad and his adorable daughter, Chizu, were especially loveable. I even loved Naoki's cranky boss! It reminded me of FAKE with the smoothness of the story and character development, but unlike FAKE Volume 01 it felt much more realistic since Chizu is Naoki's real daughter from a previous marriage.
Sherry
Jan 16, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm soooo happy to finally own a copy of this amazing Manga. I read the scanlations some while ago and I wanted to buy the English version ever since but I couldn't find it anywhere, so naturally I was really excited when it was announced that a German publisher licenced it.

It is an amazing and heartwarming story which at the same time really tugs at your heartstrings.
Lb
Apr 26, 2014 Lb rated it it was ok
Shelves: yaoi-books
online - vol 1- 2 end
At first i didn't think i was going to like it. Yoshioka seemed like he was going to be a bad choice for
Oosawa. But i did love seeing Oosawa with his daughter and the way it slowly built up the romance between them.

The Art was Ok, but not outstanding.
Lissa
Jun 19, 2014 Lissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yaoi
I've read this one several times. It is about a single dad with his daughter and a man who becomes very important to them in many ways. The 'gay for you' thing can bother me, but their story just feels so natural and wonderful I don't even care! I really love this sweet story!
Kirsty
Jan 17, 2013 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, yaoi
This is such a sweet yaoi. Its really one of my favourites and unlike many yaoi, it isn't in a rush to get to the love making scenes and instead takes it time and lets the characters get to know more about each other and for their feeling to develop more naturally.
Mal
Dec 12, 2015 Mal rated it it was amazing
ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍғᴏʀᴛɪɴɢ sᴏᴜɴᴅs
ᴏғ ᴋɪᴛᴄʜᴇɴ ᴋɴɪᴠᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ.
I'm sorry... what and laughter?
Jul 09, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Cute and sweet, but not much action (one chaste kiss) in this volume. I'm glad that there is not the dreaded "I'm not gay I only love youuuuuu" cliche, but I could have used a bit more action.
Ashleigh Simion
Ashleigh Simion rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Siina
Siina rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Isa Navarro
Isa Navarro rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Asami
Asami rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Taywan
Taywan rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Siân Ribbon
Siân Ribbon rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015

Sachi.

Name (in native language) : 麻生海

Zodiac : Capricorn

Blood type : A

Doujinshi circle: Kou. / Sachi. (幸。)

Friends with Takaki Kyo and Takajou Saki

Twitter 2: http://twitter.com/nonta2323
Pixiv: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=35...

More about Kai Asou...

それなりに真剣なんです。/ Sorenari ni Shinken nandesu. / Only Serious About You (3 books)
  • Only Serious About You 2