Start by marking “The Search for the Green River Killer” as Want to Read:
The Search for the Green River Killer

The Search for the Green River Killer

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  5,260 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The true story of America's most notorious serial killer case ever.
Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Signet (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for the Green River Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for the Green River Killer

Kelly
Apr 30, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The really cool thing about this book is that it was written before Gary Ridgeway was ever caught and found to be responsible for the Green River killings. Written by two journalists who worked for The Seattle Times during the years that the murders were taking place, this is an account of the task force's efforts the catch the guy who was terrorizing prostitutes in Washington state back in the 80's. I found it fascinating to follow the investigation as it was happening, and before the authors, ...more
Ashley
I read this so long ago...
I remember running out of books to read and not feeling like going to the library at that min, so I went to my parents room to raid there bookshelf..
Well I found this big silver book and thought ok... Looks like a good time waster..
WOW!!!! I remember thinking all those girls just gone... What a sad price to pay for that lifestyle...
I'm glad he's FINALY caught...

Amy Mawdsley
Jun 27, 2007 Amy Mawdsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
This is the first Green River Killer book I read. It was fantastic and informative. I grew up with the Green River Killer on the loose. I am happy that even though this particular book did not have a happy ending, it has finally been resolved.
Joanne
Aug 15, 2016 Joanne rated it liked it
I was a little meh on this one. It wasn’t at all bad, exactly; it’s only that I mistakenly didn’t really take the title of the book seriously—it is really only about the *search* for the Green River Killer, not about the crimes, capture, or conviction of the Green River Killer himself or the victims. It don’t have much to say about the Green River Killer suspects or Ridgeway (he wasn’t mentioned at all until page 392 and even then not even by name, regardless that at the time of publication he w ...more
Michael
Apr 11, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Whelp, once again I'm surprised to learn that another infamous killer is worse than I thought. Gary Ridgeway, the Green River killer, is the most prolific killer in U.S. history. Having 49 confirmed victims. And possibly more. The book was written before Ridgeway was officially captured, but it's crazy to see he was a major suspect 15 YEARS before his actual incarceration and conviction. I wouldn't mind reading his confession. A real sicko that it took nearly 20 years to catch. Glad I wasn't a h ...more
Sue
Feb 07, 2010 Sue rated it liked it
I got involved with this book and was fascinated as to how they went about getting started in the investigation, but I thought it got bogged down about half-way through. I kept reading, but by the time I got to the end, I was disappointed that they never caught the perpetrator.
Anthony
Feb 24, 2012 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012reads, crime
There are numerous books of serial killers and the atrocities and destruction they have reaped. If the reader expects blood, gore and the titallating tale of sex and murder this book is not for you. It is a book of human nature. It is of human failure and success affiliated with personalities. From the teenage and adult prostitutes to the women who seemed to be at the wrong place at the wrong time these pages do not condemn or justify their action but properly labels them for what they are which ...more
Cindy
Jul 21, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, adult
This book was written before they finally caught the Green River killer in 2001 through DNA evidence. He would confess to the murder of at least 48 young women in exchange for life in prison without the possibility of parole. However, this book, written by local reporters, is an account of the search for the killer and about his victims, not about the killer who was still unknown.

In the early 1980s, there were a cluster of bodies found in an area close to the Green River in South King County, Wa
♥ Marlene♥
See I did not add all my books that I did write reviews for.

This is what I wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
on Thursday, December 15, 2005

8 out of 10
Well after a very long time of waiting, I finally got my hands on Ann Rule's Green River Running Red.
Then i still wasn't sure which book to read first so I decided to read them both together. Not my favourite way of reading but in this case, a must.

Not only was I reading those 2 books, but also another book on this subject, T
Chriso
Mar 29, 2013 Chriso rated it really liked it
I borrowed this and My Friend Dahmer from a good friend because she recommended them and I figured there was a bit if a theme: graphic novels about serial killers. But the two books couldn't be more different. Green River Killer is written by the son of the police detective who worked on the case for decades until the DNA technology available was enough to convict the killer. The book leaps around in time and the deft, evocative artwork is the real strength of the graphic novel. I struggle with ...more
Ginger
Jan 22, 2013 Ginger rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least a couple of times and it was fascinating to me as the I-84 corridor in Oregon and Washington was the hunting ground for the killer and one of the victims disappeared from the small town in far eastern Oregon where I was born and raised. I was in high school at the time of that disappearance and so the case always interested me although it wasn't until I read this book that I realized that the disappearance was attributed to the Green River Killer. I admit to having ...more
Amber
Dec 12, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
A lengthy portrait of just how preoccupied and shaken the Pacific Northwest was of the Green River Killings during the 80's and early 90's. Before extensive DNA technology, the police's hands were tied as far as making any arrests for murder. This book greatly captures that frustration. You're exhausted by the time you're done reading it, but taking the time to read it can be interpreted as a genuine effort to appreciate that frustration the region had for so many years.
M
Jun 14, 2013 M rated it really liked it
Riveting, intense, and heartbreaking for EVERYONE involved. Both law enforcement officials and families of the victims. I read this book years ago and I am still haunted by it. This True Crime book is about an unsolved serial murder case but even more so, it's about police incompetence, jurisdictional disputes, and bickering between departments to the level that it hindered the investigation. It becomes clear that politics is the reason why the killer was never identified.
Tom Schulte
Jul 06, 2012 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got this back from a friend, so I am able enter a review under the correct edition. "The Search..." is an excellent title as this covers the crime from the police investigators' view. The dead-end trails, sought for clues and hopes dashed amid managing a large task force and trying to embrace and benefit from early computer technology tell an intriguing story of a community seeking to remove a killer.
Kay
Oct 12, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Jared
Feb 02, 2009 Jared rated it really liked it
An excellent book detailing the hunt for the green river killer. It was written before they caught him, but they included an afterword in later editions detailing his capture through DNA. This book was recommended to me by one of my professors in college who was also an attorney, and I wasn't disappointed. It's lengthy, but I never felt bored while reading it. Definitely a recommended book.
Rob Foster
Nov 13, 2014 Rob Foster rated it really liked it
Not to seem too morbid about it, but this book was more interesting before the murderer was caught. He hardly lived up to the image of the elusive fiend portrayed here. In reality, he was just more "lucky" than he deserved to be, regarding evading capture.
Andrew Neal
Sep 19, 2007 Andrew Neal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: True Crime Fans
This chronicles the murders committed by the recently captured Gary Ridgeway AKA The Green River Killer. The book was written well before Ridgeway was arrested and is extraordinarily researched. The books ends before the killer was caught.
Steve Amalfitano
Jul 12, 2014 Steve Amalfitano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it after Gary Ridgeway was caught (the book was written before his apprehension). That made it especially interesting to see the way the nation was dumbfounded and terrorized by him.
Jillian Castillo-Benton
Nov 02, 2016 Jillian Castillo-Benton marked it as to-read
One of the best books, touching and a far reaching message
SouthWestZippy
Jan 17, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it liked it
Good book.
J
Jan 27, 2012 J rated it liked it
I read this before the stunning close of this case. Interesting.
Jane
Apr 06, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
If you can admit to liking books about serial killers-this is a good book.
Kat
Jan 08, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it was first published before he was caught.... Excellent detailed account of the process and hunt for the Washington killer.
Kristen Doherty
Mar 12, 2008 Kristen Doherty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any True Crime reader
Recommended to Kristen by: none
This books tells us what the detectives had to go through to find out who the Green River Killer is.
Adam Crissom
Nov 24, 2014 Adam Crissom rated it it was amazing
A tense read. It is the sort of true crime book that makes you feel like you are one of the people or outside officers watching it unfold in your community. Thank goodnesss they caught this sicko.
Andy Perdue
Mar 24, 2011 Andy Perdue rated it really liked it
Shelves: northwest
It would be interesting to reread this since the Green River Killer was caught to see how close Thomas Gillan came to figuring it out.
Amy Lawson
Thank you to the detective that stuck with this long case. His dedication and hard work solved the case. You deserve so much more than a thank you.
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I've read this several times over the years. Great true-life whodunit written entirely from the police perspective. Very little in here about the victims, alas.
Brian Plajer
Jul 01, 2012 Brian Plajer rated it really liked it
Scary, I'm glad they finally caught that crazy man. It was interesting yearss later to see a movie about catching him. At the time I read the book he was still at large
  • The Hillside Stranglers
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
  • Lust Killer
  • Murder in Greenwich
  • Deadly Innocence
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Cruel Sacrifice
  • Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho"
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Cruel Doubt