Sound Bender

Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  58 reviews

A roaring, supernatural adventure that spans New York, and the globe!

After their parents' plane goes down over the ocean, Leo and his brother Hollis are forced into the custody of their rich and enigmatic uncle Crane, a dealer of rare and probably illicit antiques. But almost as soon as he's settled--or as close to settled as he can get in the bleak Brooklyn mansion, surro

Published November 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

Jen
Do you ever stop and listen to the sounds around you? I mean really listen? The ticking of a clock? The rhythmic sound of tires running over pavement? When you're listening to a song, do you only hear the lyrics or do you hear the sounds all the other instruments are making? How about objects? Do you hear the sounds they make? Can you hear the danger in them? Twelve year old Leo Lomax can.

Following the sudden death of his parents, Leo and his ten year old brother Hollis, are sent to live with t...more
Collin
I just finished Sound Bender, and am so glad I checked it out. It has a truly unique and fascinating premise. It was a fast and engaging read, terrific for middle grade or young adults who love adventure and music. I highly recommend this book.
Ryan
Sound Bender I thought was a really good book. If you like action mystery and a little bit of sadness you have the right book. I liked that the mystery of the book made it a little more sad because of kind of following a trail his dead father left him to found out who he really was. Another thing that I liked out the book is that everyone in the book that can help Leo out try's to help him find out where he is from even the people that only knew his father. The only thing that I didn't really li...more
Holly
Sound Bender is one of the best books ever! There is a little mystery on every corner!I cannot wait till the second book!
Lin Oliver did good.
Emily
I received this book through Goodreads First reads

Leo Lomax and his younger brother Hollis have just moved in with their uncle Crane after a terrible plane crash took their parents. When the brothers arrive at their uncle Crane's Brooklyn warehouse, they're less than impressed; their uncle was a dealer of priceless artifacts, yet there was no hint of luxury. That was, until Klevko, their uncle's assistant brought them to the huge penthouse on the top floor of the warehouse. Leo can tell already...more
Diana Gagliardi
Sound Bender- a name, an ability, a title, a book.

I met the authors, mother and son, this fall. This sound-centric book is based on real things that Theo Baker did- wonder with a tape recorder, facinated by sounds and listening to the world around him. Years later he and his mom (co-writer of series of books with Harold Winkler, etc) took that concept and gave it an S/F bend.

Leo Lomax (named after the incredible father and son recording team of the 1930s- I asked :)) is about to turn 13 when h...more
Michele
I won this book on Goodreads. My 12 year old is reading it now - I will update this when he is done since it is geared toward the younger crowd. That being said, I enjoyed the book. Of course, the parents die in the beginning and he and his brother go to live with an uncle. It is about a boy discovering new talents and how to listen to his inner voice that tells him what is right. He learns he has a new power on his 13th birthday. I don't like to list too much about the story itself but it was a...more
Sara Rasheed
This was good. Another one of those book where you just pass by your cousin's bookshelves pick it up and read it! :P
Two things, from this book, were new for me to experience.
Firstly : Sound.
Yeah, Sound. I've never bothered to think that deep about the sound. Its everywhere. Its even here when I'm typing these words. This guy, Leo, I thought was too boring at first who just loved nothing else in the world apart from sounds, and not the music ones, sounds which general things in life makes wher...more
Bob
A good piece of young adult fiction. I rated it as such; for an adult, I would rate it at 3 stars. Still. I was certainly entertained. Some logical flaws in the plot, but lots of fun. Even the bad guys are interesting, and a nice mix of good/bad/? in their characters. The authors dealt well with a 13 year old boy dealing with the loss of his parents and a change in his worldview at the same time. Nothing to offend anyone, and as such easy to recommend to your kids.
Josh
Praise
This book was awesome. For Leo being a sound bender must have been weird and cool at the same time. I like this book.
Nancy
Good for middle school. It kept the boys reading and discussing. What more can a tutor wish for?
Lu
I loved this book! I'm curious when the 2nd in the series will come out.
Diane Ferbrache
When Leo’s and his brother Hollis’ parents die suddenly, they are sent to live with their step-uncle Crane. Crane lives in a warehouse filled with priceless “artifacts” that he buys and sells. Through a mysterious letter from his dad, Leo discovers he is a “Sound Bender” – he can sometimes make connections to the past through sounds that emanate from certain objects. One of his experiences leads him to a discovery that will change his life.
This is an adventure aimed at middle school boys, but...more
Ms. Yingling
When Leo and Hollis' parents are both killed in a plane crash, they must move in with their uncle. Crane is a bit odd-- he buys and sells rare artifacts and may or may not be a criminal. Leo tries to settle in to his new life, but is unsettled when he receives a package for his 13th birthday... from his father. It includes an odd recording. Leo loves sounds, and frequently hangs out at Jeremy's used record store, so takes the disk there. He finds out that he was not in fact born in New York, but...more
Adam20
Jun 15, 2012 Adam20 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: june
Sound Bender
By: Lin Oliver, Theo Baker

If you could here the history by touching it would you think you’re different? Sound Bender, A mysterious adventure with a sci-fi twist, After their parents' plane goes down over the ocean, Leo and his brother Hollis are forced into the custody of their rich and snobby uncle Crane, a dealer of rare and probably stolen antiques. But almost as soon as he's settled, or as close to settled as he can get in the dingy Brooklyn mansion, surrounded by his uncle's br...more
Amy
Leo and Hollis are newly orphaned brothers who must live with their rich but creepy step uncle. Leo turns 13 and weird things start happening to his hearing. He also gets a mystery package from his dad delivered on his birthday which explains his new hearing abilities. The story has potential but there are parts that just didn't flow well together. Students who like dolphins or are interested in the properties of sound will enjoy this book.
Tiffany
I enjoyed this book and the premise of it was pretty cool. The idea of what a sounder bender is was very cool and it was interesting to see how the authors developed the story. This is a first book in a series, so a lot of background had to be covered. The action in this story was pretty good and should be enjoyed by the tween and young teen reader. It is also a pretty good way of introducing someone to fantasy.
Rachael
Jan
When 13-year-old Leo's parents are lost in a plane crash, he and his younger brother Hollis are sent to live with their Uncle Crane, whose business is the import and export of antiques (and perhaps some more sinister items). Soon after he arrives at his uncle's house, Leo receives a letter from his father, which contains a mysterious disc. When he touches the disc, Leo becomes dizzy and passes out. It turns out Leo is a Sound Bender, and when he touches items from the past, he can hear the long-...more
Jaron Nelson
Mandy
Ina Montoya
Good youth literature. Fast adult reading. I'm finding myself drawn to youth literature more. It saves me from reading adult issues. Very good plot, clear settings, but as a realist, I had a hard time finding the uncle character so willing to allow his newly adopted nephew (the main character) use of his private jet to the South Pacific for a school project researching dolphins. Other than that, I liked the story - especially capturing the grief of a young man who lost his parents and must now w...more
Katelyn
It was one of my favorites. It does have a tragic conflict, but besides that, it is an awesome adventure story. Especially since dolphins are involved.
Kate M
This was an excellent book. I really enjoyed the wonderful idea of 'Sound Bender" and wish I can read the second one too!
Duncan Prescott
A very interesting if not somewhat complicated premise. Main Character, Leo, was quite compelling and he was surrounded by equally compelling characters but unless there is a sequel most of them go for naught. The resolution of the Dolphins may have been resolved but the greater issue of his relationship with his evil uncle was not. It seemed like the authors ran out of their allotted pages and wound it up before it should have been.

Still other than a lot of the science which went over my head,...more
Rebecca
Definatly an interesting read. An obvious 1st book of a series which I do not care for. I feel that a book should be complete within itself even if it is part of a series and this book is very obviously just a part of the story. Plot is pretty interesting although I still don't understand why it is called sound "bending" - not sure what is bending about it and I can't imagine any young reader being able to figure that out either. Still, all in all not a bad book. I give it a B-/C+.
Tarsha Morgan
Boys' parents are presumed dead and the brothers must go to live with their step-uncle. The uncle collects rare antiquities. On his 13th birthday, he recieves a package from his father. It is a recording of his father. His father tells him the truth about the day he was born, and that he has a gift that he must explore. He can hear what others can not. He begins to follow a path that will anger his uncle, but will help him to feel at peace.
Jodi Carmichael
I thoroughly enjoyed this new book by co-written by Lin Oliver and Theo Baker. I felt I was on a journey with Leo, Leezer as he was lovingly called by his recently deceased father, as he struggled to discover his unique ability - bending sound.

A master story teller, Oliver, kept me wondering until the end how Leo would confront his money hungry stepuncle, solve the puzzle of his birthright, and save a life in the process.
Bryn
Leo's parents go missing and are presumed to be dead. He and his brother are sent to live with his uncle who buys/sells expensive artifacts. To top it all off, Leo finds out he has a secret special power which leads him on an adventure! It's a typical child-is-adopted-by-uncaring-relative and coming of age story blended together with some secret powers and a sprinkle of science lingo. In all, it was pretty good one-day read.
  • The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • Dawn Runner (Phantom Stallion, #21)
  • Hostage
  • Totally Disgusting
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • Horizon (Above World, #3)
  • The Fellowship for Alien Detection
  • Troubletwisters (Troubletwisters, #1)
  • I Held My Breath as Long as I Could
  • Extreme Danger (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #1)
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Madhattan Mystery
  • Toad Heaven (Toad, #2)
  • White Star: A Dog On The Titanic
  • Unraveling Anne
  • The Boy at the End of the World
Almost Identical (Almost Identical, #1) Attack of the Growling Eyeballs Little Poems for Tiny Ears Two-Faced (Almost Identical, #2) Escape of the Mini-Mummy (Who Shrunk Daniel Funk?)