How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)

How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green #6)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,273 ratings  ·  216 reviews
The Scandal Sheets call him Lord Ice.

Ruthless, cold, precise, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, tolerates only the finest-- in clothes, in horseflesh, in mistresses. And now he's found the perfect bride, the one whose dowry will restore his family's shattered legacy and bring him peace at last: the exquisite heiress Lisbeth Redmond.

She's about to play with fire...

But one un...more
Mass Market Paperback, 382 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Avon

♡Karlyn P♡
This book was saved by the great banter between two very interesting leads, but the story itself wasn't quite as dazzling. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. Maybe its that I've just had my fill of historicals set among London balls and house parties, complete with vapid and shallow guests in attendance. But what I haven't had my fill of are heroes and heroines like Marquess Dryden and Phoebe Vale. They were pure fun to read.

Phoebe is one of my favorite kind of female heroines in a...more
Beanbag Love
*sighs*

Very nice historical romance. I liked both leads, the tension of the various situations (not just sexual) was apparent and accessible, and the ending was satisfying.

This series is about two families that hate each other: the Everseas and the Redmonds. They both live in Pennyroyal Green but they don't interact at all if they can help it. The books switch off as to which family is featured. For some reason the Redmonds always seem to come off negatively (although I liked Miles Redmond's bo...more
Ana
The Scandal Sheets call him Lord Ice.

Ruthless, cold, precise, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, tolerates only the finest—in clothes, in horseflesh, in mistresses. And now he’s found the perfect bride, the one whose dowry will restore his family’s shattered legacy and bring him peace at last: the exquisite heiress Lisbeth Redmond.

She's not afraid to play with fire...

But one unforgettable encounter with Lisbeth’s paid companion, Phoebe Vale, and the Marquess is undone: this quiet girl with the
Susan (susayq ~)
This was amazing! Watching Jules and Phoebe fall in love was magical. And tense cause you just knew they were going to fight it or ignore it cause society deemed to keep them apart, not to mention Jules's desire to plan all of his life the way he thinks it should go. Thankfully, the end up together :)

I'll reread this book at some point. It was that good :)
Lisa
Phoebe Vale, teacher and broadsheet lover, has no clue her life is going to change when she goes into a shop to admire a bonnet and get the latest gossip. When she hears the latest scandals of Lord Ice, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, she is rather amused but she is quickly startled because who just happens into this shop? None other that Julian in all his black and white glory. With just a cursory glance about the shop, Julian asks to see the fans and purchases the best one as everything is th...more
Tina
3.5 stars.

I read this book in one sitting. It is a definite page turner and sucks you in. But after the sublime high that was What I Did For a Duke, this was a bit of a (small) disappointment. This book simply did not capture the sheer loveliness of the romance and the hilarity of the dialogue of that one.

Julian, the Marquess of Dryden is a trend-setter. Whatever he does is slavishly copied -- from what types of horses he buys, to how he wears his hair (there is quite an amusing/disastrous rippl...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Oh, how I love the Pennyroyal Green series. Clever heroines, gorgeous men, the family feud between the Redmonds and Everseas, witty banter... and this one is the most romantic story in the series yet.

Two unlikely lovers, Phoebe Vale the schoolteacher from the wrong side of the tracks, and the Marquess Dryden, Julian Spenser nicknamed "Lord Ice" make you believe in love at first sight despite all the obstacles. Just magic.
Shawna
Dec 31, 2011 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of aristocratic, paragon heroes paired with plain, commoner heroines
Shelves: historical-romance, julie-anne-long, series-pennyroyal-green, kindle, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-darcy-paragon-haughty-staid, wager, heroine-companion, heroine-commoner-lower-class, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, friends-to-lovers, animals-matter, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, hero-military-war-veteran, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, 2011-reads, 5-stars, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, best-faves-of-2011, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-brooding, hero-gentleman, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-debutante-talk-of-the-ton, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-ridiculed-unpopular, hh-famous-celebrity, hh-servant-serving-working-class, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, historical-romance-regency, i-read-kindle, love-triangle-vying-courtships, star-crossed-lovers, steam-2-warm, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-marriage-wife-hunting, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is an engaging historical romance with a winsome H/H and it provided a very satisfying culmination to my 2011 reading! *Happy sigh*
Erika
Jan 14, 2012 Erika rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Julie Anne Long
This book was such a dilemma.

FIRST PART (the first 55% of the book).
This is the moment our hero the Marquess Dryden or Julian Spenser meet our heroine, the schoolmistress Phoebe Vale. This part was great. Totally great. Julie Anne Long knows exactly how to built a very intense romance and put it into words with enough power to evoke reader's emotion.

Take a glimpse at this moment:

She held her body very gingerly when she turned, because if she was dreaming, she didn’t want to accidentally jar he
Verity
Jan 02, 2012 Verity rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Cat & Pekingese luvers
Nevah thought a trend-setting Marquess could be bested by a crabby, furry, scene-stealing chubby cat. I admit I'm biased. Anyfink featuring cats & dogs will earn an Xtra brownie point in my bleeding heart. When Jules screamed like a woman & escaped Charybdis' paws by a whisker, he catapulted to my lovable heroes shelf. I'm so in lurrve w/ this book & Jules. If I didn't have to work in a few hours, I'd re-read this heelarious book cover to cover again. I heart my local author. This li...more
CaroB
This story was my first by this author and I am absolutely charmed! The dialogue between the H/h simply sizzles and burns. It seduces the reader with witty banter, tongue-in-cheek innuendo and soul-baring emotion, set in a time when language was used as a weapon as well as cloak.

I haven't been in the mood for a historical for a little while now, but this book has rekindled my interest in them by celebrating everything I love about the good ones... the way language is used with such meaning, and...more
Barbara
Julian Spencer (aka the marquess) is a man who has his stuff together. He knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get it AND he never makes mistakes. His every move and action is calculated and he never-ever seems to slip up. Because of this, society views him as almost a God. He's perfect and they can't help but admire him, fear him and be fascinated by him all at once.

In short, the ladies want to bed him and the men want to be him.

And what's wrong with that, I ask? *wink*

That is exactly...more
Katie(babs)
Started out strong with great chemistry between the hero and the heroine. Went downhill fast during the second half where the rich snobs decide to trick the heroine into thinking she's an original and a beloved part of the higher class based on a wager from the hero's nasty jealous nemesis. I felt this wasn't need and shows that this story had no real path or any real drama or angst after the heroine and heroine are honest about their feelings for one another.

Such a shame because this book could...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Julie Anne Long, where have you been all my life? Obviously, you have been writing some excellent Historical Romance... but why is this the first time we've been together?

Obviously, I adored this book and upon finishing this review, I'm going to check out the backlist in the Pennyroyal Green series. This is the sixth installment, but if you've new to these books as well --I promise-- this works great as a standalone.

Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, is at the height of fashion among the ton. His...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Yup, it's official ... I'm madly in love with Julie Anne Long! Officially one of my fave authors I just can't leave alone. Previously I've said only Elizabeth Hoyt knows how to build the tension and writes the best love scenes ... but this author definitely is a rival in that regard. I thought the deflowering scene is one of the hottest I've ever read in romance books. I hate it when I get all hot and bothered on the train, but it was so worth it. She really does know how to write a H and h that...more
Kelly22
4.00 to 4.50 Stars - Regency/Historical Romance

A very powerful trend-setting marquess, Jules Spencer, decides to get married. Locating the best candidate in the assignment he sets off to stage the finest courtship that is expected from him. It is then when he meets a spunky schoolteacher, Miss Phoebe Vale, also serving as a companion to his intended and instantly becomes captivated by her. He offers her to be his mistress which she sternly refuses. Stung by rejection and ruled by pride he agrees...more
Steamywindows♥♫
Loved the opening, the unusal plot, the characters and a delightful cat! I love this theme: the handsome, unattainable hero, the smart but plain and under estimated heroine. I definitely was on the edge of my seat wondering how this was going to reach a HEA, and was not disappointed.

There is quite a bit of wonderful humor in this book that nicely contrasts the more tragic moments- Phoebe gives some deliciously insightful quips and sets our hero back on his too self assured a** on more than one...more
ATron
I'd say a solid 3.5 to maybe 4 stars. I really liked the first half, but it sort of waned on me when Phoebe got to London. Can't really pinpoint why, I just thought the house party setting was more entertaining.
Elizabeth (Liz)
Witty and adorable! LOVE the cat! Guess I need to look up the other books in this series....

Riddhi
4.9 rounds up to 5 stars

I have to say that the most extraordinary thing about this book would have to be Ms. Long's writing. She truly is brilliant! The style reminded me so much of Lisa Kleypas, and that is high praise coming from me. I wish I didn't have to put this book on pause because it just threw me off. But with that said, I still loved this book, and that says something.

Oh sweet Lordy, Julian was just something else. I haven't loved a hero like this in a long time. He's driven and reaso

Christopher
If I had to describe my thoughts on HTMWW in one word, it would be "disappointing." I highly anticipated the release of this book. And, in some ways, it delivered: the book kept me glued to it til the end, it was emotional, it was fairly long (about 7000 "pieces" on the kindle), and had quite a bit of witty dialogue.

Reflecting back once I had finished it, however, the conflict just seemed way too forced. I couldn't see why Julian was SO adamant to have Phoebe as a mistress, rather than a wife (t...more
Iliada
I love everything about this book, but more than anything I love the hero!
5+++++ stars.

It seems that I am in reading heaven these days, because there is no way I could have read so many incredibly good books in a row. I had a small favourites shelf and it has grown so much right now, but I can't help it. How the Marquess Was Won is another book that makes me feel so strongly! I know what it is with Julie Anne Long that makes me feel so comfortable and yet so excited when I read her books. Apart...more
Not perfect, but perfectly delightful. Particularly the romance and dialogue. You really feel these two characters falling in love, and actually knowing each other - which is surprisingly rare in romance. And of course, the humor. I read JAL with a wide grin - so witty and sweet.

There's WAY too much character name dropping, signature of these endlessly long series. I am in the minority but I really really really don't like long HR series with a passion for this very reason (oh, hello, Bridgerton...more
Zumbagirl
I really liked this book but did not love it. It's very readable and I never lost interest in it. But it just wasn't memorable and I'll probably forget it quickly. I do love the way Julie Anne Long writes. I bought several books in this series and will continue to read them. You probably don't need to read them in order (I started with What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5), which was my favorite, and I also read the first in the series.

Recommended for those seeking a light, funny romance with little or no angst.
LuvGirl
The first half of this book was so good I was seriously thinking that it would have been a five star read for me, but then came the second half which read like an old 200 page Harlequin historical. The storyline ended up being too childish from what I was expecting and it through me off completely. The love scene didn't happend until the book was 90% over and by then the sexual tension had died down too much to enjoy it.I can't give this book anything less than a three star though because the fi...more
Denise
One more great addition to the Pennyroyal green series. This book had one of my favorite tropes, the opposite side of the tracks. He is a wealthy marquess that absolutely everyone looks up to, she is a schoolteacher who grew up in the 7 dials part of London. Lots of great sexual tension between the H and h and a good solid story line.
Keri
This completely catches me up with the series...boohoo...how I have to wait for the long awaited Ian Everseas's book. This was a fun read and had me laughing out loud at times. The cat scene was freakin hilarious. Our hero should have known then it was love! :-)
Crissy declaro
I think i found a new author to follow! i loved this book. I actually laughed out loud in several scenes in this book. Which i couldn't recall EVER doing while reading a book. Mrs. Julie Anne Long is a very witty author and very fun to read. The book has very steamy love scenes, but not offensive like some other authors.

The book is about a calm and controlled hero, Julian Spencer, who is in the market for a wife. He picks Lisbeth Redmond because of a business transaction. You find out that when...more
♥Aicha~high~on~books♥
5+ stars and 2 another for originality. :))

***Storyline***
This book has a wonderful story of two wonderful people. A marquis as rich and well-born as they come and a simple schoolteacher with absentee parents of questionable pedigree coming together in a marvelously scripted tale.
It seemed right, right from the start, like they were meant to be together, made for each other.
The story gripped me from the first pages itself and unfolded beautifully.
The title is “how the marquis was won” but it rea...more
Cecilia
I really like Julie Anne Long's books - the humour, the fact that they don't feel rushed, the fact that the story is centred around character and not spies or villains. She's one of few writers that actually makes me laugh out loud.

This book in those respects did not disappoint, though there were a few things that took some of the shine off, one being the surprisingly poor editing. For example, "born" being used instead of "borne," at least a few times. Or "loan" used as a verb (I know it's com...more
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke #1)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Nearly a Lady
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it...more
More about Julie Anne Long...
What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5) The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1) Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2) I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4) A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)

“He was still thoughtful. 'Do you think any of us ever really knows anyone?'

'Philosophy, Lord Dryden? And yet it's daylight and everyone is still sober.”
10 likes
“I love you so much i can hardly tell my own heart from yours anymore, and I've never said it to another woman in my life as it's never until now been true.” 10 likes