The Nightmare Garden (Iron Codex, #2)

The Nightmare Garden (Iron Codex #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  895 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Everything Aoife thought she knew about the world was a lie. There is no Necrovirus. And Aoife isn't going to succumb to madness because of a latent strain—she will lose her faculties because she is allergic to iron. Aoife isn't human. She is a changeling—half human and half from the land of Thorn. And time is running out for her.

When Aoife destroyed the Lovecraft engine s...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

YA Novels of 2012
132nd out of 1,226 books — 9,735 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothFever by Lauren DeStefano
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
87th out of 736 books — 2,282 voters

More lists with this book...

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Totally awesome!
Though, it wasn't as good as the first.
Just sayin'.

Before I start this review, I just wanted to clear something first. As excited as I was to finally read this book (I totally loved The Iron Thorn), I sort of had a hard time reading it. But that wasn't the books fault - not entirely. Mostly it was because I've been in a reading slump for the past week. I don't know why. Guess it could be because of all the school work, or I maybe it was because I was having a crappy week. So it r...more
Scott Tracey
Fantastic, fantastic sequel to The Iron Thorn. If you like dark YA fantasy, definitely check out this series.
Elizabeth Mock
I have a mad girl-crush on Aoife. For serious.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: An improvement on the first installment, creepy and fast paced, but our heroine is still whiney and I’m still not impressed with anything but the world-building.

Opening Sentence: In my dream, I am alone.

The Review:

If you read the synopsis, you’ve already spoiled yourself for The Iron Codex, but reading this review will make it worse! If you haven’t read book one, you don’t need to read this review yet. SPOILERS AHEAD.

This sequel picks up wh...more
Lacey
First Thoughts:

Now that I’ve taken a few moments to pull myself together I can finally write this review…there was a moment where I had to stop reading and grab a tissue, I seriously couldn’t believe I found myself crying for a fictional character, but there I was blubbering like an idiot crying over something as trivial as a book but I guess some books can do that to you and it’s such a new and interesting experience.

This book was so much different than “The Iron Thorn”, for one it definitely...more
Vanya D. YA Story Teller Reviews
I received this book to review from Netgalley. I have not read the first installment, but as it happened, it wasn't really necessary. "The Nightmare Garden" was written in such a way, that a new reader, who has no idea what she's got in her hands - what world she's entering - would have no problem to follow the story. I sure did, you would too if you like a mix of steampunk, paranormal, dystopian kind of thing that has a tinny tiny flavor of romance underneath all the drama.

Well, unfortunately,...more
Karissa
This is the second book in the Iron Codex series by Kittredge. This third book is supposed to be titled, The Mirrored Shard, and from what I could find is scheduled for a late 2012/early 2013 release. I absolutely loved the first book and couldn't wait to read the second. In this book we venture into the Mists and get to meet the secret Brotherhood that Aoife's father was part of. I love the world and the characters created in this series; although I was a little disappointed that Aoife kept mak...more
Isamlq
Thank the gods, for the recap moments in Nightmare Garden which caught me up on the details that were fuzzy at best. As much as I loved whole chunks of Part One, the book is simply too long to bother with. The thing that’s stuck this long is how much I liked how different Cal turned out to be.

There be SPOILERS for the first book ahead...
(view spoiler)...more
Erin
Overall, readers who are already familiar with Caitlin Kittredge's work - adult or young adult - will find that it's no real surprise that THE NIGHTMARE GARDEN was a deeply engaging novel and is the perfect addition to the Iron Codex series. And boy, with such a heart-breaking and over-the-top ending that this sequel successfully delivers to us, I have to say the author knows how to really step up the game and I'm really, really looking forward to reading the final installment of this series, wh...more
Journey
I had a really hard time staying engaged with this book. it just didn't get my attention. however, it picked up more towards the end. AND the two seconds we get to see of Nerissa is awesome, I may read the next book just to see more of her. also can we get more of the lesbian pirate captain please?
Joy
I'm reducing this to 2 stars because the female protagonist has just gotten on my last nerve. Repetitive mistakes in her choice of actions and too self centered. That she carries the story gives little to the other character development.
Jennifer Hitchcock
I think it was actually better than the first!
AnQi
Jul 06, 2011 AnQi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Soooo excited! Luv the cover.
Cherita
Somewhere between 2 and 3 stars.

This was very much a middling middle book. It felt incredibly looong -- it felt slower to me than the first one (and the long chapters with little to no scene breaks didn't help). I think it's because I was less interested, less invested in what was happening.

I loved The Iron Thorn. I loved learning about this world with the Proctors and the madness and exploring the city of Lovecraft with its dangerous nightjars and shoggoths and the mystery of her brother with h...more
Bookworm1858
The Iron Thorn was a surprise favorite from last year so I was very excited to pick this up. Unfortunately, due to poor planning, I had a huge stack of review books to get through first, meaning that this book has been staring at me for too long before I finally picked it up to read. Of course, it had also been about a year since I read the first one which mean that it took me a while to get back into the groove of the characters and the story.

While I remembered the uniquely named Aoife, I could...more
MaryBookSwarm
Aoife is clued in to what's really going on now--she knows the Necrovirus is made up and she knows she's a changeling, which is why, with her iron allergy, she will eventually go mad like her mother unless she can figure something out. But she doesn't really have time to ponder things over a cup of tea. The damage she and her friends wrought might have made their world even worse than it previously was. The gates are down and creatures of all sorts are free to roam the world.

At times rather anno...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
THE NIGHTMARE GARDEN is an absolutely gorgeous book with captivating mythology and elegant phrasing. I found myself pausing as I read to roll phrases over my tongue and read them aloud to savor. Kittredge’s world is a dark delight that blends shades of otherworldly magic with the mechanical enthusiasm of steampunk to create something I’ve never encountered before.

Despite this being my first book in the series (and having no prior knowledge of Lovecraft), Kittredge provided a solid sense of place...more
Justine
This is the second book in the Iron Codex series about Aoife Grayson the half human half fae girl.

*SPOILER ALERT*
They have escaped Lovecraftand are now traveling through Windhaven, the flying city run by Erlkin. The are captured and are being held for trespassing. They know that Aoife and Conrad are halfbreeds. Aoife just wants to save their mother. So they escape from Windhaven and Aoife uses her weird to open the gate back to Lovecraft.

Lovecraft is in ruins. The buildings are crumbles, there i...more
Latoya
Thoughts: This was an okay read. There seems to be a theme for taking the fairy world and adding an iron twist. As I was reading, I was reminded of Kagawa's Iron Fey series. However, Kittredge has taken it to another level by implementing a dystopian, steam punk feel to this work. In the previous book, Aoife has destroyed the home that she once knew and now is on the run from those that want to use her for personal gain. Aoife is a frustrating, stubborn and strong-willed character, who is easily...more
Dani
★★★★½

Slipping back into this utterly captivating world has been long – much too long – overdue. Kittredge’s otherworldly yet familiar Steampunk creation is tragic, broken, dark and sinister, while it is also bewitching, complex, and mysterious. Equally captivating is Aoife’s character and her growth since first meeting her in The Iron Thorn. She’s always balked a little at the repressive, submissive role her society has forced her into, but Tremaine’s manipulation of her which results in the des...more
Michelle
The Nightmare Garden, hmmm what can I say but it drove me CRAZY! I thoroughly enjoyed the first book but this one stole my imagination and refuses give it back. I truly enjoyed it. Its fast paced and captivating, probably because she doesn't have to explain as much. You should already know most of it based on The Iron Thorn. Now, Aoife is the main reason for my insanity. I want to love her but she is that annoying little sister that can't quite see past her own needs to know what she should or s...more
Cristy
THE NIGHTMARE GARDEN, book 2 of the Iron Codex trilogy was better than the first, no doubt about that, but honestly I still can’t declare my love for this over complicated and painfully drawn out steampunk, dystopian fairy tale. I am ever so thankful to Kittredge for the slightly better pacing with this installment, but must state that even with the continued originality in the storyline; she failed to really grab me with the characters themselves. I still liked our heroin Aoife, but that was pr...more
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
Upon finishing The Iron Thorn by Caitlyn Kittridge I was left pining for it's next installment,The Nightmare Garden. In fact it has been one of my most eagerly awaited reads for 2012. I could not wait to see what adventures Aoife and her trusty crew would embark on and but I knew that I was eager to follow because I believe this series is one was one of the most original and innovative of last year.

For those familiar with this series, The Nightmare Garden picks up shortly after Aoife has destroy...more
Erica Marie
I thought Caitlin Kittredge had opened an exciting new world in the first book of this series The Iron Thorn. I didn't realize then that she had only given me a glimpse of so many fantastical things to come. She introduces new worlds, new creatures and a whole lot of new problems for Aoife, Dean, Cal and Bethina. The Nightmare Garden was full of tension, sweet romance and plenty of edge-of-your-seat action.

The Nightmare Garden opens in a the Mists, where Aoife's brother Conrad has taken her and...more
Anjana
I read The Iron Thorn a few days ago and I was glued. This is a series with a bit of everything - romance, steampunk, dystopia, paranormal and even a little bit of darkness. How on earth Kittredge managed to create such a world and still make it likable, I'll never know. It's like having every genre I like blended into one, which I'll admit sounds weird but it seriously wasn't! I cannot emphasize enough on the absolute awesomeness of the world created by Caitlin Kittredge! It's undoubtedly one o...more
Anna Dase
Caitlin has done it once again. She wrote an outstanding book. I love Caitlin’s writing style it is FANTASTIC. I love Aoife I love the way her character is so realistic. I liked the way she sorta makes the same mistake in this book has she did in The Iron Thorn. Her character did not grow as much as some of the other characters but that is part of why I like her so much. And in this book she is determined to fix the mess she created when she broke the Lovecraft Machine by finding The Nightmare C...more
Scott
May 28, 2013 Scott added it
It seems to me that many book two's of a series follow a similar pattern. 1. Lots of travel. We are going somewhere. Yeah it's nice to write a scene where characters are, both, doing stuff and saying stuff. But when all they do is travel and walk and head toward the quest for many chapters in a row, then a few scarce pages of something interesting, then hole up somewhere for a while making breakfast and hair-dos... Anyway. 2. Disorienting plot. Unbelievable. "I'm looking for my mom" and everybod...more
Trisha Wolfe
Kittredge’s writing is always the first thing to hook me in her books. Her style, and the way she paints each scene with description and emotion pulls me into the story, and promises amazing things to come. The Nightmare Garden is the second book in the Iron Codex Series, and it picks up right where the first one left off. Aoife (pronounced EE-fa) destroyed the Lovecraft machine, and is on the run with her friends, wracked with guilt over the destruction she caused. Despite the real possibility...more
Christine Rains
Aoife Grayson has destroyed everything she cares about. All she has left is her family and Dean, and she'll do anything to keep them. She's a fugitive hunted by both the Proctors and the Fae. Each have their own plans for her, but she has her own. To save those she loves, she needs to find the Nightmare Clock in the World of Dreams. A world that doesn't really exist but is more real than all worlds. Will Aoife be able to save everyone or will she unleash the Old Ones and destroy their entire uni...more
Daph (Loving Books)
It was a bit slow for my liking, and it was annoying that Aoife didn't want any of the offered help, but I'm still intrigued with the world. DID NOT LIKE WHAT HAPPRNED NEAR THE END!!

--------

After reading and enjoying The Iron Thorn last year, I couldn't wait to get my hands on its sequel. Now that I've read it, I'm still fascinating by the world Kittredge has created with The Iron Codex series. But I can't help but feel a bit disappointed, since this book didn't live up to my expectations.

I won...more
~!The Young Adult...: The Nightmare Garden 2 14 Jun 09, 2012 05:22AM
Audio Format 2 5 May 14, 2012 08:34AM
(spoiler alert)the ending 1 12 Apr 08, 2012 05:04AM
  • The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)
  • Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1)
  • Magic Under Stone (Magic Under, #2)
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
  • A Touch Morbid (A Touch Trilogy, #2)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • Tangled (Torn Trilogy, #2)
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • Havoc (Deviants #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
Caitlin started writing novels at age 13. Her first was a Star Wars tie-in. Fortunately, she branched out from there and after a few years trying to be a screenwriter, a comic book writer and the author of copious amounts of fanfiction, she tried to write a novel again. Her epic dark fantasy (thankfully) never saw the light of day but while she was struggling with elves and sorcerers she got the i...more
More about Caitlin Kittredge...
The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1) Night Life (Nocturne City, #1) Street Magic (Black London, #1) Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2) Second Skin (Nocturne City, #3)

“My eye was caught by movement from behind the automaton. Just a flicker, but my heart clenched with surprise and fear, and I tapped Dean on the arm, pointing. “Something’s over there.”
He followed my finger, and we both saw the flicker of red on the unbroken gray brick of the foundry walls.
“Son of a bitch,” Dean growled, jamming his hand in his pocket and pulling out his switchblade. “Hey!” he bellowed at the moving shadow. “Hey, you!”
“Dean …,” I started, thinking that perhaps shouting at the figure wasn’t the best idea.
“I see you!” Dean shouted. “No point in hiding.”
“Dean, we don’t know what it is,” I whispered, worried that if he made a move, whoever or whatever lurked beyond the automaton would take it badly. Dean shook his head.
“Relax, princess. It’s a kid.” He advanced on the shadow. “Aren’t you?”
“Up yours, mister!” the shadow shouted back. I pressed a hand over my mouth, both to stifle a laugh and from relief. To find another person in this wasteland was ten times more unexpected than finding a creature like the nightjars and ghouls that populated Lovecraft’s underground.
“Say,” Dean drawled, brows drawing together. “I know you, kid.”
“I know your mother!” the kid retorted. “And she has some disappointing things to say about you.”
4 likes
“Regardless of the shape he took, Cal had a nearly endless capacity for worrywarting.” 2 likes