Start by marking “Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny” as Want to Read:
Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny

Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny (Prelude to Glory #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,053 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
General Washington's army is all but shattered after five catastrophic defeats. Only the coming of winter will save his retreating and demoralized army. Their enlistments expire December 31st. Will Washington soon be a general without an army. Can a desperate plan to cross the icy Delaware before dawn on Christmas Day surprise a powerful enemy and save the Revolution?
Published April 1st 2002 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
230th out of 499 books — 443 voters
The Book of Mormon by AnonymousEldest by Christopher PaoliniThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Mesh
30th out of 35 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Freyja colborn
Mar 28, 2011 Freyja colborn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Again it took me longer then normal to read. My reading time is being cut tremendously right now so I read it at every chance I could. Some of the details that were put in were a bit tedious. there were a couple time when it went hour by hour on some day. They woke up, they ate something for breakfast, they got dressed. Really I could figure that out. But when it was in direct coralation to the battles it was very interesting. In the last book the details about the th ...more
Krista
Feb 26, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds, revolution
Amazing. I did not know the details of the battle of Trenton. I give my unending gratitude to those who stood and fought, against all odds, to triumph and eventually secure freedom and liberty. It seems fitting, the title, for in this short time frame a ragtag, beat, starving, exhausted military group was buoyed up, and lifted beyond themselves. There is no doubt they had divine strength, from General Washington down to each individual soldier. They knew they stood no chance against a huge train ...more
Kent
Apr 19, 2015 Kent rated it really liked it
Read this series about families and events during the American Revolution many years ago, before we moved to South Jordan. Excellent historical details and put into the lives of people living during the period. Highly recommended!
Sheila
Oct 21, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
In the frigid winter marking the end of 1776 and the beginning of 1777, the Continental army is faced with the overwhelming truth that they are losing the Revolution. The British have plummeled them with a series of bloodly battles that have ripped the Americans to tattered shreds and have driven them to a retreat so vast that it crosses two colony lines. The American camp, now crouching on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River, is helpless as the British move more than three thousand Hess ...more
John Worthington
Feb 15, 2016 John Worthington rated it really liked it
I love this series - this book was about the battles of Princeton and Trenton.
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: hf-masters
This third volume in the Prelude to Glory series deals with the situation of the Continental Army following the British defeats of the Patriots in New York City. A lot of great information about the Battles of Trenton and Princeton. The book is full of information about the Revolutionary War that I have never heard before. I realized how much more that I know about the Civil War than the actual Revolutionary War.

The book is a bit dry because it is almost more history than fiction. Just a lot of
Karina
Apr 15, 2012 Karina rated it really liked it
Wow, this book was so much more interesting to me than the last! It was very interesting and exciting to read about some of the biggest events of the American Revolutionary War, since I know practically nothing about it. This book was pretty detailed and true to history about the battles at Trenton and Princeton, so I like that I got true history, even though it's a historical fiction which is often more fiction than history. I am very excited to continue reading this series and find out how eve ...more
Michelle Brooksby
Finally some wins for the Continental Army!
BCoats(gov)
Jul 23, 2014 BCoats(gov) rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the history very much.
Amy
Aug 12, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
I am enjoying the fictional part of the story and I get all wrapped up in that. But then the author goes into the details and I struggle to keep going. I love learning the historical significance of things that I was not aware of, but do we have to know how many steps he took to get behind the rock? Or how many trees there were by the road? The history is interesting but some of the details are so repetitive and tedious. This entire series could have been written in 4 books and not lost anything ...more
Kristin Westergard
battels of trenton and princeton. very interesting. I can't believe the living conditions.
Jenifer
Feb 24, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this whole series because it allowed me to learn much more about our countries beginnings than I ever learned in school--but I enjoyed it this time. A fictional family and their friends make the journey through the revolutionary war and on into the establishment of the United States government and the rough economic times that followed the war. Book 9 jumps ahead in time to the war of 1812.
Kathi Salter
Jul 12, 2015 Kathi Salter rated it really liked it
This is a 9 book historical fiction series about the Revolutionary War. It is written very well. His writing style is very similar to Gerald Lund's writing style. It gave me even greater respect for our Founding Fathers and all the brave men and women that helped to give us the freedoms we enjoy today. Don't forget to read the footnotes for interesting information.
Amber
Apr 21, 2008 Amber rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: History lovers
Third book in the Prelude to Glory series. I had a hard time staying focused with this book. The book is really overwritten with details and I had a hard time getting through to the important information. Is it possible to have too much detail?? (the answer to that is YES!)
Katie
Mar 25, 2008 Katie rated it did not like it
This book I didn't like. I read it half way and then stopped because although the plot is good and the characters and their relationships are good it is bogged down with detail and even though you might try you can't just skip it. So yeah it jsut had too much detail.
Lindsey
Sep 22, 2009 Lindsey rated it liked it
Unfortunately I have to say this book can be a little redundant, but I still love it. I just absolutely love learning about history while still reading about true love, action etc. Despite the redundancies I still want to read the whole series.
Dan
A fun series with a great mix of well researhed history of the US Revolutionary War (with footnotes) and fictional personal items to bring the story to life. The fictional characters are well placed to bring the story out.
Jana
Apr 25, 2013 Jana rated it it was amazing
I love this series. This one is the best so far. The detail and amount of informaiton on how the continental army survived the winter of 76-77 is amazing. I still love the fictional characters in the story as well. Love it!
Lindsay
Nov 23, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting through this book. I miss the characters of the first book with the tragic loves stories. Hopefully he will get back to those...I guess I should focus on the historical info instead =).
Francie
Jul 03, 2013 Francie rated it really liked it
I think I will have to re-read this series. I really loved this book and the others I read but never finished the whole series. Excellent historical novel set during the Revolutionary War.
Kathleen Anderson
Aug 21, 2009 Kathleen Anderson rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this series. It gave me a new appreciation for the founding of our country and the men who made it possible. I like reading history through historical novels!
Ann
Dec 03, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
Good step in the series with detailed geographic information making placing the action much easier
Liesl
Jan 05, 2011 Liesl rated it really liked it
This is a really good series and goes into great detail on the revolutionary war.
Kira
Apr 28, 2008 Kira rated it it was amazing
This series was so amazing to help me grasp the feel for the Revolutionary War.
J
Jan 23, 2012 J rated it liked it
A series begun and on the list to be finished.
Sara
Feb 19, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Couldn't decide between 3 or 4.
Clarica
Nov 14, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
this book is awesome!
Stefie
Jul 22, 2008 Stefie rated it it was amazing
Again bought them, love them.
Brittany
May 04, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it
These stories are amazing!!
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)
  • Behold the Man (The Kingdom and the Crown #3)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
Ron Carter was born in Salt Lake City and reared in Twin Falls, Idaho. He served received a bachelor’s degree in industrial management from Brigham Young University. He received a juris doctor degree in 1962 after attending the law schools at George Washington University and the University of Utah. Recently he has been a research and writing director for the Superior Court system of Los Angeles Co ...more
More about Ron Carter...

Prelude to Glory (9 books)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 1: Our Sacred Honor