Start by marking “The Bridge: The Building of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Bridge: The Building of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

The Bridge: The Building of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

With a new preface and afterword by the author and drawings by Lili Rethi.

Towards the end of 1964, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge—linking the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island with New Jersey—was completed. It remains an engineering marvel almost forty years later—at 13,700 feet (more than two and a half miles), it is still the longest suspension bridge in
Published January 1st 2003 by Walker Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Julie
Feb 24, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not really thinking a book about bridge building would be so interesting, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this short piece held so much--and not just about bridges, but the lives of those involved. More specifically, the lives of those we never hear about in the news, the people who really put bridges together. I never realized until after this book, that bridge building was such a...game in a way for people who worked on the things. Gay Talese takes every word and makes it meaningfu ...more
Lisa-Michele
May 06, 2016 Lisa-Michele rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, beautiful book about an ambitious engineering and construction feat from 1960s America. Talese tells such a good story. I would read it again just to enjoy his writing one more time.

He was a young man when the bridge was being built and visited the site many times. He paints the scene with vivid descriptions: “Though the bridge would require 188,000 tons of steel, Ammann knew that it would be an ever restless structure, would always sway slightly in the wind. Its steel cables would
Joyce
Oct 19, 2011 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Profiles of the men who worked on bridges constructed in the mid-century. They were like migrant workers, except each stint lasted a few years.

Seems they all drank prodigiously after hours and hence must have worked with fierce hangovers. It's amazing these bridges are still standing.

Talese's style annoys me at times. He certainly was a product of his time, i.e. the good old sixties when it was a man's world. I suppose I have to cut him some slack.
Lisa Miller
Jan 11, 2016 Lisa Miller rated it it was amazing
Fascinating little book about the men who built the bridge, the politics involved, and the many lives that were impacted by it. Gay Talese writes in such a way that this work of non-fiction feels more like a novel.
William
Bridges fascinate me, so I was looking forward to learning something about the longest suspension bridge in the Americas. However, Talese frequently does something while describing concrete historical occurrences that I simply can't stand - he writes in the conditional mood. Granting that he's a journalist and not a historian I can forgive him for some of this, but whole paragraphs of conditional mood are just terrible, sloppy, high school-level writing. I have a greater appreciation of the Verr ...more
Seth
Aug 22, 2007 Seth rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NYC history fans / 20th C. Architecture fans
Talese writes a interesting account of the building of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge, however at only 150 pages really only skims the surface of the many elements that go into building a mega-structure such as this. It is an enjoyable read because of the amount of first hand information included (he moved to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn during the building of the bridge) such as interviews, and personal tours he went on during its construction, However I think he tried to include too many details without ...more
Lindsey
Nov 12, 2014 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Talese can make anything interesting, and he does here in "The Bridge." The book is seamless, with a narrative that weaves around a whole cast of characters. The prose is stunning, often lyrical and poetic. You can easily fly through this book.
thomas
Jun 24, 2015 thomas rated it really liked it
I have two odd obsessions: Maps and Bridges.

This book definitely sated the latter. Talese is a great writer and the book contains wonderful illustrations and photographs.

If you are into bridges this book is a must.
Pete
Jul 20, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing
brilliantly detailed portraits of the lives affected by the building of the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, which I can see from the corner I live on. Not polemic at all, just flawless short narrative non-fiction. The passage about two young boys returning to what was once their home and is now a concrete approach to the massive bridge is perfection. Is a quick 144 pgs. probably only for nonfic obsessives and people who are at least passingly familiar with the monumental nature of the narrows bridge ...more
Stéfanni Mota
Mar 19, 2014 Stéfanni Mota rated it it was amazing
A good book, full of gripping stories of regular 'boomers'. Gay Talese ended up being one of my favourite writers. I started reading this book for my journalism course, but I'd recommend it for anyone in any profession.
Leslie Nicoll
Oct 24, 2011 Leslie Nicoll rated it really liked it
This was a short book and I am glad it was. If it had gone on and on in excruciating detail about building the V-N Bridge I probably would have lost interest and stopped reading, as I do with so many non-fiction books. Instead it was short and sweet and right to the point and I found it very interesting--interesting enough that I was googling websites on how bridges are built, types of bridges and so on. Now I know where the Indian ironworkers come from. What I still don't understand is how the ...more
Carl
Dec 28, 2014 Carl rated it really liked it
An excellent tale of the men who made the bridge, those affected by its construction and unintentionally a document of a fading culture. marvelous sociological history but not for those who are looking for a book just on how the bridge was built.
Michael J. Toro
May 06, 2012 Michael J. Toro rated it liked it
Shelves: history
While this work deserved praise when originally published as a magazine article, as a book the selfsame praise becomes rather strained. Talese's journalistic approach to the construction of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge was (circa 1964)commendable in his role as a journalist; the bridge, at the time, being a news-related matter. Now, nearly 50 years later, a reader would come to expect something more substantial in the way of history...especially from a book titled, The Bridge: The Building of th ...more
Dave
Aug 11, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
He's no David Mccullough, but this is a cool and gorgeous book!
Gary
Apr 13, 2014 Gary rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Short book. Some good narratives. Some good history. A lot of typos in the Kindle version. If you want to learn about the bridge, I'd goto the web Instead.
Josh Hamacher
I think some of my disappointment with this book stems from a fundamental misunderstanding on my part: I was expecting a book about the building of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. But it's actually a book about the men who built that bridge, a subject I have considerably less interest in.

There were just enough details about the construction to keep me reading, but barely. I also disliked the writing style; it's extremely informal and flowery to the point of detracting from the narrative (in my opi
John Devlin
Oct 10, 2011 John Devlin rated it it was ok
A slim book but one of the first to deconstruct a great public works project through the manifold lens of an entire community. The takeaway in this age of Tarp and Stimulus is the relative ease at which the Bridge was decided upon and the acceptance of work related dangers, and in fact, their celebration. Here workers compete as teams to build a bridge faster than the guys on the other side of the suspension cable; now public employee unions compete for the greatest number of perks.
Jim Lane
Jan 31, 2014 Jim Lane rated it liked it
A nice little early effort from Talese which shows glimpses of the greatness to come in his future works. Much less about the actual construction of the bridge than the people involved both in creating it and affected by it. A must read only for completists who want to read everything by Talese, but also a nice piece of history for New Yorkers who almost undoubtedly take the bridge for granted.
Mtrim
Mar 07, 2013 Mtrim added it
If you can find this one, it' a great book about the men who worked on the building of the Verrazano Narrows bridge. Who they were, why they do things and work in places that most normal people wouldn't go near. Working up high before safety nets were part of the construction process, these are some brave people. And Talese is a great writer, already evident in this early work.
Derrick Schneider
Dec 29, 2011 Derrick Schneider rated it really liked it
I like Gay Talese's writing quite a bit, and this book represents his style well: in-depth reporting on the actual workers constructing the bridge. It's easy to tell the grand story of a bridge project, but Talese excels at the "little stories."

The Kindle edition of this book is marred by scores of typos, as if it was digitized via OCR and never double-checked.
Ray
Mar 02, 2012 Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
An amiable look at the characters and people who built this bridge, the book has the feel of a long new yorker article. But like those History Channel documentaries, it's entertaining but insignificant. On a side note, the e-reader version, which I read, has several significant translation typos. An editor should read and update.
Marion Littman
Sep 17, 2012 Marion Littman rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, kindle, history
Fascinating detailed history of the bridge. Tells the story through the perspective of several individuals who worked on the bridge. Learned not only about this bridge, but also about bridge building workers as a group, who apparently move around from project to project across the continent.
Brian
Dec 15, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
Great nonfiction account of the building of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in NYC. It sounds boring, but the book is a masterclass in storytelling. He turns something seemingly mundane into a compelling story. It's up there with John McPhee's Oranges in that sense.
Karen
Jun 17, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: g
A quick and interesting read. A must if you, like me, watched the bridge being built. I will look at the bridge a little differently now!
Tim
Jul 11, 2016 Tim rated it it was amazing
Super fascinating and excellent, and the standalone edition has a ton of amazing photos from the building of the bridge.
Kathleen Yanolatos
Kathleen Yanolatos marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Alison Cooper
Alison Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Nora Tomson
Nora Tomson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Aug 20, 2016
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • What's Science Ever Done For Us: What the Simpsons Can Teach Us About Physics, Robots, Life, and the Universe
  • The Devil's Playground: A Century of Pleasure and Profit in Times Square
  • Lightning Man: The Accursed Life of Samuel F. B. Morse
  • The Routes of Man: How Roads Are Changing the World and the Way We Live Today
  • Big Brother: The Orwellian Nightmare Come True
  • The Internet of Elsewhere: The Emergent Effects of a Wired World
  • Trawler: A Journey Through the North Atlantic
  • Reach for the Skies: Ballooning, Birdmen And Blast synopsis
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Simulation and Its Discontents
  • Art and Science of Dumpster Diving
  • The Fly in the Ointment: 70 Fascinating Commentaries on the Science of Everyday Life
  • The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighways
  • Nuclear Weapons: A Very Short Introduction
  • Very Truly Yours, Nikola Tesla
  • Panama Fever: The Epic Story of One of the Greatest Human Achievements of All Time-the Building of the Panama Canal
Gay Talese is an American author. He wrote for The New York Times in the early 1960s and helped to define literary journalism or "new nonfiction reportage", also known as New Journalism. His most famous articles are about Joe DiMaggio, Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra.
More about Gay Talese...